• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's top 25 DS games

Shaffield

well at least they got the correct Castlevania and Advance Wars games (but they should be ranked 2 and 3.)

but seriously, where the FUCK is HeartGold/SoulSilver????
not to mention 999, EBA, Strange Journey and DQIX.

also, i think Radiant Historia is a little overrated in general.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
NSMB and Phantom Hourglass are pretty much the only Nintendo games I've ever traded in. Scratching my head at how those got so high but Mario Kart DS, which has the audience-grabbing recognition they clearly want to represent at the top of the list but also happens to be a best-in-class entry into its series, is pulling up the rear.

I am pretty impressed with FFTA2 ranking so high and Rocket Slime getting a spot, though. Very underloved games, especially A2 which people tend to blindly hate on because of their distaste for the first, the problems of which were mostly rectified.

Ouendan is definitely a glaring omission. I'd also throw Dragon Quest IV, Rhythm Heaven, and Space Invaders Extreme somewhere into my list. Meteos would handily knock Tetris DS out. Ghost Trick would be way higher.

RM8

Even if the list sucks, it has plenty of amazing games. You really can't make a completely crappy list with DS, for it is the best gaming system ever released.

We should all make our personal lists.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How so? I understand that there's a lot of games out there that blur the line between game and music tool that I'd let pass on a list like this- Electroplankton, for example- but KORG DS-10 doesn't even pretend to be a game. It's a virtual synthesizer. There's no blurring at all, it is what it is and it's not a game.

Software was rare enough on the DS that there's no need to segment games and software--if the software works on its own merits, why not include it? Electroplankton wouldn't be included because it's not particularly good. I mean, it's fine, it's a fun little toy, but you can't actually do much with it. KORG is really really impressive. It's amazing that the shitty little hardware crammed into the DS could produce a pro-AM or professional level sequencer suitable for live DJ performances and recording work. That's amazing.

I mean, what software existed?
- A couple of dictionaries
- Art Academy
- Korg
- Jam Sessions
- Master of Illusion
... that's pretty much it, not too much else.

Gartooth

Wow, this is a really awful list. The DS is one of the best handhelds ever in terms of it's console library and honestly while there are a lot of good games on the list, it seems like the most overrated ones (NSMB, LoZ:pH) made it to the top while a lot of the best ones were left near the bottom.

Edit: Just for clarification, my top 5 in no particular order would be Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, The World Ends With You, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and 5th gen Pokemon (Black 1+2, White 1+2).

bigace33

Man I miss my DS. Lol that list doesn't even scratch the surface on how many great games are on the DS. Where is Jump Ultimate Stars?

GhaleonQ

It's a coherent list, in that they tried to be diverse in their genre choice. So, I can't call it an objectively bad list.

Though I think the DS, compared to the other best devices of their generations, is only better than the Famicom, its key strength is diversity. That's even if you exclude non-localized games. So, it would be possible for them to achieve their diversity goal and not construct such a subjectively horrible and horribly ordered (the bottom 1/2 is far better than the top 1/2, in my view) list. I think it's horribly only partially because 2 of my 10 favorite games ever aren't on it.

Missing Dragon Quest IX, Sonic Rush, and SMT: Strange Journey. Also, lol @ NSMB at number 1.

Edit: Damn, they robbed Etrian Odyssey as well.

Fabrik

Banned
Nice list but the ordering will be subject to controversy.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike should be on top.
And it's missing Days of Ruin and Spirit Tracks!

Software was rare enough on the DS that there's no need to segment games and software--if the software works on its own merits, why not include it? Electroplankton wouldn't be included because it's not particularly good. I mean, it's fine, it's a fun little toy, but you can't actually do much with it. KORG is really really impressive. It's amazing that the shitty little hardware crammed into the DS could produce a pro-AM or professional level sequencer suitable for live DJ performances and recording work. That's amazing.

- Art Academy
- Korg
- Jam Sessions
- Master of Illusion

Animal Crossing: Clock? Mario Calculator? :p

OK, I see your point. KORG DS-10 sure seemed like an amazing feat- I never tried it, but I do remember GAF and other places raving about it- so I suppose it is getting wishy-washy to neglect to mention it over a technicality. Better to give it it's due then not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's a coherent list, in that they tried to be diverse in their genre choice. So, I can't call it an objectively bad list.

Though I think the DS, compared to the other best devices of their generations, is only better than the Famicom, its key strength is diversity. That's even if you exclude non-localized games. So, it would be possible for them to achieve their diversity goal and not construct such a subjectively horrible and horribly ordered (the bottom 1/2 is far better than the top 1/2, in my view) list. I think it's horribly only partially because 2 of my 10 favorite games ever aren't on it.

I agree. I don't think the DS is best celebrating for having individual out-of-this-world titles, but rather a deep and varied bench.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Professor Layton's Unwound Future and Diabolical Box were both better than Curious Village.

Incrementally better, but also mostly more of the same, and both had even dumber plot resolutions (a series staple!) -- Layton 1 perseveres because of its freshness

zashga

Some good picks on the list, but also some predictable omissions. My personal favorite DS series were Ouendan/EBA and Etrian Odyssey, so it would've been nice to see one of those. It's also really strange to see Phantom Hourglass picked over Spirit Tracks, since ST is straight up superior in every way.

Zakalwe

Banned
I was just about to say that. Why did it take over 100 posts for someone to mention this?

Scrolling through waiting for the first person to mention this.

Hotel Dusk
Lunar Knights
Elite Beat Agents

Two criminal omissions, imo.

TWEWY should be in the top 5 at least.

A dull and fruitless display of condescension.

I expect at least some measure of depth to your reply if you disagree with my argument enough to cause you to respond. I don't see why semantics aren't important when the subject is "games" and something that isn't a game has been thrown into the mix.

I didn't disagree. I never indicated that I disagreed. Please indicate on the reply where you thought I disagreed - oh wait it doesn't matter because I didn't.

I just think the categorization of "what is a game" and "what isn't a game" is such a massive waste of time that we might as well just get back to making fun of Game Informer, but I see you're too busy being overly snotty and cranky at my wisp of a reply to actually consider doing anything else.

I always felt like Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword is underrated. How is managed to get character action to work on the DS is nothing short of a miracle. Still my favorite Ninja Gaiden game.

I would put that on the best DS games list easily.

Also putting the third game in a series is weird to me, but whatever. It's Game Informer. I don't expect the world from them.

That's something I strongly disagree with. What's so great about the SNES ports machine?
Give me a break. There were lots of great games that werent SNES ports. The Mega Man Zero series, Aria of Sorrow, Super Star Saga, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Battle Network, etc.

tha_devil

DS has so many good games, its hard to make a top 25. Mine would be (not in order)

- advance wars dual strike
- Brain Age
- Chrono Trigger
- Dragon Quest IV
- Dragon Quest V
- Dragon Quest VI
- GTA: CW
- Jump Ultimate Stars
- Ouendan
- EBA
- EBA2
- Mario & Luigi, Bowsers Inside Story
- Mario Kart DS
- Phoenix Wright AA
- Phoenix Wright JFA
- Phoenix Wright T&T
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village
- Picross DS
- Ghost Trick
- The World Ends with You
- Trauma Center
- Zelda: PH
- New Super Mario Bros
- Might and Magic, Clash of Heroes

Canvas Curse needs to be higher, glad to see Dragon Quest Rocket Slime on the list. Still, every game GI listed was amazing in its own way, the DS might have a better library than the PS2.

I didn't disagree. I never indicated that I disagreed. Please indicate on the reply where you thought I disagreed - oh wait it doesn't matter because I didn't.

I just think the categorization of "what is a game" and "what isn't a game" is such a massive waste of time that we might as well just get back to making fun of Game Informer, but I see you're too busy being overly snotty and cranky at my wisp of a reply to actually consider doing anything else.

Well, it was a bit harsh and out-of-nowhere. Generally a reply like that indicates at least a little bit of disagreement. Hell, if you agree, you could have backed up my opinion with an argument which isn't "dull and fruitless". It's what I would have done. Eh.

Anyway, I've seen enough daft lists in my time than mocking GI over this is on the same level of pointlessness as the semantic argument between game/not-a-game. We'll laugh, we'll cry over missing games, and then we'll do the same thing in a few weeks when IGN does a similarly ill-thought out list that we lack their justifications for. So it's easy for me to get distracted by the little things.

You know there's a quite a good selection of games on that list, even if they picked what i'd consider the wrong ones from certain franchises (Dawn of Sorrow over Order of Ecclesia? well i'll take it but it just don't feel right).
But there's something that always bugs me about seeing Phantom Hourglass and Chinatown Wars regarded so highly within the DS library, it's not that I consider them bad games by any stretch even if temple of the ocean king makes me want to kick puppies but that it feels like they get the extra level of high praise because of the franchises they belong to, maybe i'm just being all conspiracy theory here.

Oh well, now the more pressing issue, where in the flying fuck is Elite Beat Agents?!

Incrementally better, but also mostly more of the same, and both had even dumber plot resolutions (a series staple!) -- Layton 1 perseveres because of its freshness

Yeah, well, these lists are typically based on "What came first? What is more important historically?" when it should be "If someone new to the DS were given the entire libary today, what games should they play?" And putting aside the insanity that NSMB is the first game someone should play, suggesting Curious Village over Unwound Future seems a bit odd. To me.

Tenrius

2 great exclusive Metroids to DS's zero, for one.

Give me a break. There were lots of great games that werent SNES ports. The Mega Man Zero series, Aria of Sorrow, Super Star Saga, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Battle Network, etc.

It was an exaggeration, of course, but SNES ports do take up a significant portion of its library. And while there is a number of great original games, that number is still significantly less than what we have on the DS. That's how I feel, anyway.

Yeah, well, these lists are typically based on "What came first? What is more important historically?" when it should be "If someone new to the DS were given the entire libary today, what games should they play?" And putting aside the insanity that NSMB is the first game someone should play, suggesting Curious Village over Unwound Future seems a bit odd. To me.

You could say recommending the canonically last game in a six-game franchise with a fair emphasis on narrative to be weird, too. :p

It was an exaggeration, of course, but SNES ports do take up a significant portion of its library. And while there is a number of great original games, that number is still significantly less than what we have on the DS. That's how I feel, anyway.
Does it really? I can only think of the Mario platformers, Donkey Kong Country, and the Final Fantasy ports. There were the NES classic series too.

Personally I dont own any of them so I especially take issue with that port claim. There were so many great GBA games, and they far out number the ports Ive seen.

- Art Academy
- Korg
- Jam Sessions
- Master of Illusion

I think you're missing a couple of books collecfions, 100 classic books is great.

You could say recommending the canonically last game in a six-game franchise with a fair emphasis on narrative to be weird, too. :p

Ha. yeah. I felt like that one could stand on its own, no? It dealt a lot with Layton's past and all. I was going to mention that though. Like, I don't know if Unwound was better because you knew all the characters and where they were coming from. Whatever. It's a big semi-strange list, so no need to dwell on that one game. Haha.

Top Bottom