• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my fill of Daenery's clumsily learning to rule and it makes it even worse that she's losing more and more control over the one thing which made her great, dragons. You would have thought season's ago that at the age the Dragons are now, they would be factoring in in some way to the main plot instead of just being occasional decorations.

This is the most annoying thing ever, it seems almost like they just need to buy time over time.

Mdk7

Man, what a disappointment these first two episodes have been: slowest beginning of a season ever, i do hope something relevant happens in the third episode.

Apart from the Danerys stuff I thought that was an excellent episode. Strong theme running through it between Varys and Tyrion in the box discussing the power they have even though they will never be leaders, Sam's speech putting Jon in charge of the night's watch and Brienne's desperation to serve. Also set up interesting storylines with Jaime and Bronn, Cersei attempting to run the kingdom, Arya's training, and Littlefinger/Sansa going cross country tracked by Brienne. I find Stannis to be a great character, and I'm understanding what they talked about in the early seasons of a man who has strong ideals but lacks the natural charisma to get people (other than Davos) to follow him.

The Danerys part continues to feel like a whole different show. I've been hoping the show would take a break from Danerys since the middle of the second season but every episode has substantial amounts of the same thing happening. I do like that young ex-master's soothing voice though.

Overall after a fairly dry first episode that was a big step up. Definitely better than the start of last season.

mujun

And the Brienne thread is becoming comical. Brienne: I'm here to protect you with my life. Stark Girl: No, thanks. Go away. (Stark girls companion attempts to have Brienne killed). It's hard to argue with Littlefingers logic, everyone she serves has died, and i'm not sure what Brienne even expects to do with Sansa if she were to go with her. If it's because of her vow then it's already failed since Arya wouldn't come.

That's Brienne though, right?

She will go to any length just to keep her word, even after it has become pointless to do so.

Almost getting killed by the Hound and now trying to force herself on Sansa.

Nezzer

Banned
TV show viewers are finally getting the glimpse of the reason why most of book readers happens to be anti-Dany and pro-Mannis.

I'm a Mannis fan but that's not true, none of my friends who've read the books like him. Most readers prefer Dany, actually. In fact, it was the show that made Stannis more popular among the readers, with him being badass during season 2. Before the Blackwater episode, there was no such thing as "Stannis the Mannis". Until then, I used to have a very hard time defending him on the itnernet.

Sorry for talking about the books, just wanted to clear something up that is not spoiler.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why exactly do you think nothing relevant has happened?

There wasn't a big battle or big death happening yet. That's probably why some people think it's slow. They're probably expecting big shit to happen like Joffrey death every episodes or two, which is kind of stupid if you ask me.

Daenerys is the worst character played by one of the worst actresses there is. I don't know what happens in the books, but I hope the show gets rid of her somehow.

TV show viewers are finally getting the glimpse of the reason why most of book readers happens to be anti-Dany and pro-Mannis.

As someone who only watches the show, I've just assumed that everyone in these threads who are pro Stannis (especially in earlier seasons) are book readers, because the show hasn't done very much to present him as someone to root for.

Wolfie5

The reason I am a bit dissapointed right now after watching these 2 episodes, is that I realised there are only 1 or 2 characters I think that are interesting to follow.

The rest I don't care if they live or die. By that I mean, almost all of the strong charachters(good or bad)that were interesting to follow has died. The rest feel a bit neutral and I hope they either develop some of the current character much better or introduce new ones like Oberyn.

Not looking forward to episode 3, but I hope it gets much better going forward.

Acrylic7

Just finished season 1 after it went on sale for $20.
Trying not to spend cash on season 2 but its hard lol. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy season 2?

Stannis is cool but isn't he a villain? He sure as hell promises good shit. If it wasn't for pride, Jon Snow could become Jon Stark, rule winterfell and give a safe place for the wildlings to live. They just have to defeat the Boltons, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I was just on YouTube, not even watching anything GOT related, and a recommended video showed up on the side spoiling something in episode 3.
Really annoyed someone would spoil something just in the video title.

Man, what a disappointment these first two episodes have been: slowest beginning of a season ever, i do hope something relevant happens in the third episode.

I take it you're not a fan of The Wire? :p

Give the show a chance to build things up, man. Can't expect shit to go down so soon into the season.

And implying that nothing relevant has happened yet makes me believe that you're watching the show just for the 'omg, no way' moments. There were scenes in these two episodes that I could definitely see unraveling into major plot points as the season progresses, or at least contributing to them. Like I said, you just gotta give it time. The last thing I want is for this show's episodic formula to mirror TWD's.

I was just on YouTube, not even watching anything GOT related, and a recommended video showed up on the side spoiling something in episode 3.
Really annoyed someone would spoil something just in the video title.

That sucks. I understand if someone watched the leaked episodes and something cool happened must had make them burn in the inside wanting to discuss it and having to wait a week or too. But at least put spoilers on the title.

If it makes you feel better, I accidentally entered the book spoiler thread the other day by mistake and there was something weird that I've being thinking on since.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No book talk, fellas. Even the smallest bits can be easily constructed as spoilers or make easier to infer character development/paths/demises down the line.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks. I understand if someone watched the leaked episodes and something cool happened must had make them burn in the inside wanting to discuss it and having to wait a week or too. But at least put spoilers on the title.

If it makes you feel better, I accidentally entered the book spoiler thread the other day by mistake and there was something weird that I've being thinking on since.

Yeah it should be named different, don't really mind if others who have seen it discuss it.

Not sure how you getting spoiled as well is going to make me feel better lol, but I guess like everyone else says you should subscribe to this thread to make sure you don't come across something worse.

Curufinwe

Read the OP.

ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

Odd enough I actually like Ramsay. Boltons are not different than other families, their killing methods just happen to be more horrible, Theon main family are much bigger dipshits in my opinion.

Unrelated but I found this funny

a5PqWOo_460s.jpg

Welp...

Ramsay is by far the most entertaining character. On par with Tyrion/Bronn but he is more unpredictable. Like fast look would take him as a sadist lunatic but he clearly is very calculating too and does stuff the way no other character would like the stuff how he could use Reek to his advantage.

Nameless

I'm going to be highly upset if The Kingslayer gets Ser Bronn of The Blackwater killed with his stupid fucking plan and promise of riches. Jaime's history on this show is basically just one impulsive fuck-up after another and this looks like one more. You're telling me one and a half men are going to travel the long road to Dorne, make their way through Sun Spear unnoticed, break into the royal quarter undetected, magically find Myrcella's room, and get her out of the city without drawing more resistance than one and a half men could handle? Not happening. And this of course assumes Myrcella would want to give up the Water Gardens and young Oberyns for the shit smell of King's Landing. On top of it all Tywin's no longer around to save his ass if/when he gets caught. Shit plan. Stay safe Bronn.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm going to be highly upset if The Kingslayer gets Ser Bronn of The Blackwater killed with his stupid fucking plan and promise of riches. Jaime's history on this show is basically just one impulsive fuck-up after another and this looks like one more. You're telling me one and a half men are going to travel the long road to Dorne, make their way through Sun Spear unnoticed, break into the royal quarter undetected, magically find Myrcella's room, and get her out of the city without drawing more resistance than one and a half men could handle? Not happening. And this of course assumes Myrcella would want to give up the Water Gardens and young Oberyns for the shit smell of King's Landing. On top of it all Tywin's no longer around to save his ass if/when he gets caught. Shit plan. Stay safe Bronn.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're both instantly beheaded as soon as they set foot in Dorne, especially with Ellaria so thirsty for Lannister blood.

Nameless

Wouldn't be surprised if they're both instantly beheaded as soon as they set foot in Dorne, especially with Ellaria so thirsty for Lannister blood.

Hopefully Bronn could talk his way out of it and they just behead Jaime.

Indira Varma was spitting flames in what little screen time she had this episode. Her delivery "While you sit there in your chair and do nothing" gave me chills.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There wasn't a big battle or big death happening yet. That's probably why some people think it's slow. They're probably expecting big shit to happen like Joffrey death every episodes or two, which is kind of stupid if you ask me.
Its not that nothing is happening it's just that things are kind of aimless at the moment while they move all the new pieces into play. There is no clear over-arching plot at the moment, which makes it seem like not much is happening. I expect things to become clearer in the next episode or two.

borborygmus

With the way shows work in general, I agree that this looks bad for Bronn. It's a trope for someone to think about what they're gonna do "after this is over" only to be killed before they have a chance to do it.

Then again, I've never seen Bronn in a bad situation, and this show tends to subvert tropes. Tough call.

rambis

Banned
Where exactly are these big battles and big deaths supposed to happen? If every battle or death is supposed to be "big" then what ends up happening is that no battles or deaths are big. They're cheapened.

If anything the show could become less formulaic and gimmicky with all the surprise backstabbings and murders and actually develop the plot in other ways.

Its a what, 7year show? I'm quite content with the remaining "big" characters doing their own things and not rushing to death before the finale.

borborygmus

I think the fact that there are only 10 episodes per season makes it feel like time is flying, so I can understand why some people might feel that there hasn't been enough progress. 20% of this season's already over.

Some parts of the show like, Danaerys' arc in particular, feel like a waste of precious time during which something more interesting could be happening.

Bronn should just stay with his average wife and live in that castle's cellar or whatever it is. He deserves a good rest, Jaime can't fight at all, getting too greedy in this shown is a sure way to die.

Mdk7

I take it you're not a fan of The Wire? :p

Give the show a chance to build things up, man. Can't expect shit to go down so soon into the season.

And implying that nothing relevant has happened yet makes me believe that you're watching the show just for the 'omg, no way' moments. There were scenes in these two episodes that I could definitely see unraveling into major plot points as the season progresses, or at least contributing to them. Like I said, you just gotta give it time. The last thing I want is for this show's episodic formula to mirror TWD's.

For fuck's sake, no.
TWD is the most overrated serial ever IMHO. :)

And no, i'm not watching the show just for moments like the Battle of the Blackwater or the Red Wedding (even if, of course, those parts are truly memorable!): i do love the talks between characters, the subtle intrigues, the politics and so on.
And i know things need to build up (in order to explode), yet after the amazing ending of S4 i found the beginning of S5 a little too slow and a bit disappointing for my taste, i know i had huge expectations but still...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I want more sex scenes. And I'm not afraid to admit it.

I enjoy T&A as much as the next guy, but my girlfriend can't help but roll her eyes at the prevalence of them. And this is a girl who basically puts the show on pause and scores the quality of said T&A when a particularly hot actress bares her goods. I'm afraid other women may not be anywhere as receptive if sex scenes are starting to become a bit ridiculous for her (she's currently catching up with the third season).

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Bronn should just stay with his average wife and live in that castle's cellar or whatever it is. He deserves a good rest, Jaime can't fight at all, getting too greedy in this shown is a sure way to die.

Didn't Cersei give it to someone else? I though that was why Jaime even presented him with the documents.

I enjoy T&A as much as the next guy, but my girlfriend can't help but roll her eyes at the prevalence of them. And this is a girl who basically puts the show on pause and scores the quality of said T&A when a particularly hot actress bares her goods. I'm afraid other women may not be anywhere as receptive if sex scenes are starting to become a bit ridiculous for her (she's currently catching up with the third season).

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
My impression was it peaked in season 2-3 and they've scaled it back since. Was it season 2 or 3 where they seemed to be constantly in Littlefinger's brothel?

BraXzy

so the plotline with arya and the house of black and white was really awkward. she was turned away but what purpose did that fill? i dont feel like anything significant occurred for Jaqen H'ghar to then accept her. (maybe he hates pigeons?)

This bit annoyed me the most. It was so god damn random and pointless.

Why doesn't she get let in in the first time? What was the point of the passing of time while she waited rattling off her list. Oh no she has to fend for herself now, what is she to do? Lol JK the faceless man was just playing with her, she can go now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom