• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stannis can't be king, he's too deeply entrenched in the Lord of Light stuff for things to not end poorly for him. He ghost murdered his brother and made too many other mistakes for things to fall his way.

It's why the Dany angle is probably going to end in a cliched manner. Her mistakes are tied to her being virtuous, and while being virtuous didn't work out for Rob or Ned, neither of those 2 had dragons to back them up.

Linkhero1

Can't believe Jorah is STILL around. And his plan to get back into Dany's good books (I assume that's what this is) seems like it's just going to be a waste of time anyway. Ahaha.

I'm honestly thinking he will get executed or killed because of his stupidity. I can't see a good ending for him.

Quixzlizx

The previous season also benefitted from the absolutely stellar Oberyn. His screen presence was electrifying and dude had mad swagger. This season, the new character seems to be Oberyn's brother who is the ruler of high gardens. He seems alright but he doesn't seem to be a dynamo like his brother. Hopefully we learn more about him and I'm hoping he is not this season's tragic figure like his brother lol. Dude seems alright.

The Martells rule from Sunspear in Dorne. Highgarden is where the Tyrells rule from in the Reach.

Jobbs

Banned
I was talking about this on twitter earlier -- One of my favorite things in cinema/television is a good "approving nod". It just makes me giddy every time. Sunday's ep had the juiciest one I've seen in a while.

Venture

Wildcard option - Varys assumes the throne, destroys it, and implements a system of democracy.
That would actually be a terrific ending and seems like something Varys would do. He's sort of the anti-Littlefinger. Maybe not democracy exactly, but something along those lines.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was that the lady from Arrow playing the red priestess?

Loakum

Banned
While Arya's story is interesting I kind of want less of it because its the storyline that is going to take the longest to pay off. There is so much other stuff popping off right now I feel like 1 check in a episode would be enough.

Agreed. Arya's situation is really quite similar to her brother Bran. They're both off to receive some special Jedi training from some strange folks. lol

Philippo

Stannis can't be king, he's too deeply entrenched in the Lord of Light stuff for things to not end poorly for him. He ghost murdered his brother and made too many other mistakes for things to fall his way.

It's why the Dany angle is probably going to end in a cliched manner. Her mistakes are tied to her being virtuous, and while being virtuous didn't work out for Rob or Ned, neither of those 2 had dragons to back them up.

I think he'll end up on the throne, just to get brutally murdered but able to leave a united kingdom to her daughter.

Something really stuck out to me in that episode that I haven't seen any discussion of here: What's the deal with Greyscale/Stone Man disease?

I never paid it much mind and just assumed it was some unimportant disease until this episode and that strange conversation about it. Is there are Whitewalker connection, like Stannis' daughter was being transformed or something?
IHN4O4C.jpg
PAFTj6D.jpg

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Something really stuck out to me in that episode that I haven't seen any discussion of here: What's the deal with Greyscale/Stone Man disease?

I never paid it much mind and just assumed it was some unimportant disease until this episode and that strange conversation about it. Is there are Whitewalker connection, like Stannis' daughter was being transformed or something?

Ginny said that her sisters went mad because of the disease, like beasts, and they had to be killed. And we saw that kid back in season 3(?) being (presumably) turned into a Whitewalker, so I think they are unrelated.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers(only 1-4 leaked right?), even though it's always been pretty great and spoiler free.

Just want to say that I'm so glad the original faceless man returned this season, and it's always great to see Ned Stark's children following his great history of being the most honourable person on Earth when it suits them, I fear for his safety now.

I'm pretty sure faceless man is evil somehow. There's no way a man of such power end up getting cage with some commoners.
I happen to think it's a plot contrivance considering how much had to go right for Arya to be in Jaqen's company and then later make her way all the way to Braavos. It's definitely confounding either way.

Nekofrog

Banned
I feel the same way. White Walkers that are marching up and wildlings running from them is pretty interesting. Mance Rayder was a compelling character too.

I also really like Tyrion's storyline in this. I can't wait to see him interact with Dany. Should be good.

I fear that the abysmal Dany story will bring down an amazing character like Tyrion and make me not care about him :(

edit: and you can tell that stannis wants a bromance relationship with Johnny Winter. That'd be a fun buddy cop series.

kyser73

Best ep of the season so far, and Younerrnuthin was magnificent in his first real test as Commander of the Nights' Watch.

Arya doing the 'make you humble by sweeping' process, the cruel and antagonistic other apprentice and the feels when she couldn't throw needle away. I just can't work out if Maisie can't cry on demand, or if Arya is now all cried out.

Stannis almost cracking a joke was a revelation, and he's winning me over a bit in this season. He's still the Grumpiest Man In Westeros tho.

Tyrion being kidnapped by Sir Friendzone wasn't cool, although at leas he let him finish pissing.

My prediction for Sansa - she's OK with Ramsay until she accidentally meets Reek and see what a monster he is. After surviving an assassination attempt by Ramsay's sister, she hatches a plot to kill Ramsay, Roose & the whole Bolton clan just as Stannis rides into Winterfell, thus making herself Queen of The North.

Venture

You know, for someone so clever Tyrion was being awfully conspicuous in the brothel. He says the line about being well known for paying his debts and then seems to look over at Jorah.

My prediction for Sansa - she's OK with Ramsay until she accidentally meets Reek and see what a monster he is. After surviving an assassination attempt by Ramsay's sister, she hatches a plot to kill Ramsay, Roose & the whole Bolton clan just as Stannis rides into Winterfell, thus making herself Queen of The North.
That was Ramsay's psycho girlfriend that was giving Sansa the dirty look.

Kozak

Banned
For example, after 4 years of development I don't need to spend so much time following Tyrion feel sorry for himself before he finally arrives at the feet of the dragon lady and fulfills the role he has been "training" for.

I also think there's a curiously lack of threat after all that has happened. I feel like I'm being revealed nothing about these characters that I didn't already know, nor do I see anything being set up that wasn't already set up last season.

Can't speak to how it compares to the books, but I smell writer's fatigue.

Then how could you know its moving at a slow pace?

For all you know it took most of the book to get to the point we're up to in the show.

The only thing I am disappointed in so far really is the lack of goddamn Dorne. It's been nearly a year since our sweet prince has been taken from us and we've had what, 2 minutes of his family? I feel like him getting his head smashed like a fucking melon would be grounds enough for some Dorne time but nope. Instead we get at least half an episode of Queen Dumbshit and the rest of the fuck around gang.

lmao, incredible

Anyone think Sansa is going to reverse-Red Wedding the Boltons? That line, welcome home Lady Stark, the North Remembers was chilling. I feel like too many plotlines in my head wrap nicely, so that should mean some of my favorite characters will die some absolutely horrible deaths soon enough....

I'd love for her to be Wardeness of the North.

The only thing I am disappointed in so far really is the lack of goddamn Dorne. It's been nearly a year since our sweet prince has been taken from us and we've had what, 2 minutes of his family? I feel like him getting his head smashed like a fucking melon would be grounds enough for some Dorne time but nope. Instead we get at least half an episode of Queen Dumbshit and the rest of the fuck around gang.

lol

I'm also pretty disappointed, I've been waiting months to see me some Dr Bashir. But then I remind myself it is GoT, he'll probably be in it another 2 minutes then be dead.

Anyone think Sansa is going to reverse-Red Wedding the Boltons? That line, welcome home Lady Stark, the North Remembers was chilling. I feel like too many plotlines in my head wrap nicely, so that should mean some of my favorite characters will die some absolutely horrible deaths soon enough....

I'd love for her to be Wardeness of the North.
That would be much too cathartic for this show, sadly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom