• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camwi

Yeah I wasn't expecting that either, but maybe it's just more of a "too soon" type of situation where eventually he'll get over it, regardless of the way he was treated, he still obviously loved him, seeked his approval and Tywin was still his father.

The "too soon" thing is how I took it. He's hurt that his father was killed, but I don't think he was serious about killing Tyrion.

FeD.nL

Yeah beyond the Freys the Boltons are at the top of my " get the fuck off my planet " list

What, really? I like Roose, he's like a smart Eddard. Knows not to underestimate/overestimate his enemies/himself, makes his bastard his successor, sees an opportunity and seizes it. And Michael McElhatton plays him brilliantly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah beyond the Freys the Boltons are at the top of my " get the fuck off my planet " list
Random potential spoiler from I can't remember where maybe an interview
I swear someone said that breaking the oath of providing safe harbor for the wedding would not go unpunished for the Freys. However I could of sworn they were referring to last season and obviously nothing has happened so maybe it was a mcguffin.

Anybody else feel like they are still waiting for the first truly great episode? Everything so far has been solid (aside from the awful sand snakes), but nothing earth shattering.

Very "B" material thus far...

Here's hoping the latter half of the season picks it up some and we get a "Blackwater", "Baelor", "And Now His Watch Is Ended", "The Lion and the Rose". I'm waiting to be wowed, although it seems like the source material is part of the problem.

Really? I feel that this season has given us a lot of extremely great scenes, especially the past three episodes. The Stannis-Shireen conversation, both the execution scenes, Sansa in Winterfell and everything at The Wall in particular has been extremely well done for me.

I think that all of us were slightly spoilt by Season 4, where events happen from the get go. If you look beyond that, every season was pretty much a slow burn to Episode 9, where the crazy things happened. Baelor and Blackwater are both late-game episodes, and, especially in Season 2, nothing particularly "out of this world" happened until then. Even in Season 3, after ANHWIE, all the episodes were basically slow-burns until episode 9. Season 4 was the exception to the rule. Also, I feel that this season needs to do a lot of picking up of pieces and resetting of storylines simply because so much happened in Season 4. The last two episodes have really been picking up steam though, and interviews with the cast hint at great things awaiting us in the future.

mantidor

Jaime pushed Bran off the window after witnessing his incest ways so Jaime should have died a horrible death a long ass time ago.

This is why it bothers me when they try to give a sympathetic portrayal of him, specially because he pushed Bran like a sociopath, with absolutely no remorse or regret and even a smirk on his face, it just feels bizarre he then cares for Brienne to the point he gives her his valuable sword. It's just an unrealistic character.

Curufinwe

Attempting to kill a person he had no no relationship with in order to save his entire family (who would have all been killed if Bran was able to say what he saw), is not incompatible with how Jaime acts later on towards another person who he went through a long, agonizing ordeal with.

Really? I feel that this season has given us a lot of extremely great scenes, especially the past three episodes. The Stannis-Shireen conversation, both the execution scenes, Sansa in Winterfell and everything at The Wall in particular has been extremely well done for me.

I think that all of us were slightly spoilt by Season 4, where events happen from the get go. If you look beyond that, every season was pretty much a slow burn to Episode 9, where the crazy things happened. Baelor and Blackwater are both late-game episodes, and, especially in Season 2, nothing particularly "out of this world" happened until then. Even in Season 3, after ANHWIE, all the episodes were basically slow-burns until episode 9. Season 4 was the exception to the rule. Also, I feel that this season needs to do a lot of picking up of pieces and resetting of storylines simply because so much happened in Season 4. The last two episodes have really been picking up steam though, and interviews with the cast hint at great things awaiting us in the future.

I completely agree.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This is why it bothers me when they try to give a sympathetic portrayal of him, specially because he pushed Bran like a sociopath, with absolutely no remorse or regret and even a smirk on his face, it just feels bizarre he then cares for Brienne to the point he gives her his valuable sword. It's just an unrealistic character.

Not to mention he also killed another Lannister boy in trying to escape Robb's captivity, didnt he? He is an inconsistent character.

Valus

I don't know about that. In Season 1 there was the arrest/trial by combat for Tyrion/Jaime vs Ned/ Mountain vs Hound by like epi 4-5. Also Robert dying/Ned betrayed on like epi 6-7.

Season 2 had the demon baby kill Renly by like epi 4 at the latest if I recall. Also the Arya + Tywin tension.

Major stuff happened throughout the season, only to be totally 1-up'd by the finale. I think that's what people are complaining about. Nothing major has really happened so far. Only the Wall has shown some legit progress imo. King's Landing, Mehreen, Dorne...stuff has happened, but nothing major.

OctoMan

Banned
Can someone remind me what happened to bran? I honestly don't remember probably because I don't really care. Is he still alive?

Crispy75

Can someone remind me what happened to bran? I honestly don't remember probably because I don't really care. Is he still alive?

North of the wall, under a huge magic tree with the Children of The Forest and the Three Eyed Raven, who is going go school Bran in his mind-control powers.

Hodor's still with him, as is that girl, but her brother got stabbed up by a skeleton.

OctoMan

Banned
North of the wall, under a huge magic tree with the Children of The Forest and the Three Eyed Raven, who is going go school Bran in his mind-control powers.

Hodor's still with him, as is that girl, but her brother got stabbed up by a skeleton.
Okay so I'll guess we'll see more of them then. Funny little finger said there was only 1 stark alive in the last episode even though most of them still are.

mantidor

Killing people who he doesn't care about and are in his way does not make him inconsistent or unrealistic.

I'm not talking about the act of killing itself, all these characters are murderers anyway (I think only Sansa hasn't killed or attempted to kill anyone), I'm talking about portrayal, he acts sociopathic in some episodes and caring in others, it makes no sense. I guess they were going with a different direction in the pilot with him but started to change it later. He of course was throwing Bran off the window, but there's a difference between not even turning back to see him, smirking and throwing some lame pun, and say, showing some worry about what he just did.

Razmos

Okay so I'll guess we'll see more of them then. Funny little finger said there was only 1 stark alive in the last episode even though most of them still are.
All of the Starks except Sansa are assumed dead.

Arya is assumed dead because nobody can find her.
Bran and Rickon are believed to be dead because two boys roughly around their age were killed instead.
and Robb actually is dead.

I'm not talking about the act of killing itself, all these characters are murderers anyway (I think only Sansa hasn't killed or attempted to kill anyone), I'm talking about portrayal, he acts sociopathic in some episodes and caring in others, it makes no sense. I guess they were going with a different direction in the pilot with him but started to change it later. He of course was throwing Bran off the window, but there's a difference between not even turning back to see him, smirking and throwing some lame pun, and say, showing some worry about what he just did.

Well that was before he got his hand cut off was dragged through the mud. That event probably made him as little more humble.

OctoMan

Banned
All of the Starks except Sansa are assumed dead.

Arya is assumed dead because nobody can find her.
Bran and Rickon are believed to be dead because two boys roughly around their age were killed instead.
and Robb actually is dead.
Does littlefinger/kings landing/other southerners know about Jon or do they just not care since he's a bastard and won't cross paths anyways

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Shouldn't Rickon have been to Castle Black like a long time by now?

Little Birds has traveled all the way from King's Landing to Winterfell while these two (Rickon and Wildling) are doing what exactly?

After tonight's episode, how can anyone say King Stannis won't be a worthy King of the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros? I cried like a baby watching that scene between him and his daughter. You can see he still feels guilty for her condition. Folks need to wise up and bend the knee to the one true king. The son of the Andals, the rightful claim to the throne...King Stannis.

None of my friends understand why I root for Stannis since season 2!
Even the newest episode didn't help :(

KorrZ

That's the point though - he's not being sociopathic. He's consistent in that he is absolutely infatuated with Cersei. Shoving Bran out that window was a perfectly logical move to him. It's protecting his lover, himself, and all of his children from the potential wrath of Robert Baratheon. Cersei is prodding him on about how he "saw us! he saw us" and he doesn't even know or give to shits about the kid or his family.

Also keep in mind the ordeal that he's been through. A priviledged life like his, and he spends a significant amount of time in chains living in the mud, the massive trek back to King's Landing where he lost his hand, and with it one of the things he valued most about himself (his fighting ability). All of this changes a person, not to mention he's also recently lost his father and son as well. Having him remain a carefree jokester after all of that would be far more unbelievable.

nubbe

iuHR4H8qJ13vY.gif

I idolize lord Bolton

*swoon*

Kz2JxsB.gif

bwahhhhh

i guess he could have changed a lot over the year(s?) he was captive, plus then losing his hand. but I think that really, after all they went through, all that he observed about her, I think that Brienne is the knight that he wishes he could have been, in another life. there is a good person in there, but too corrupted by Tywin, Cersei, and too embroiled with Cersei in particular to ever REALLY be good. so he's almost like... living vicariously through Brienne, or something. he wants to be good, but knows he's too far gone. (physically, as well) but he CAN assist one of the few (only?) good warriors he knows and enable them to do what good things he wishes he could be able to do. hence, giving her the sword, armor, etc. at least, that's how I see it.

Shouldn't Rickon have been to Castle Black like a long time by now?

Little Birds has traveled all the way from King's Landing to Winterfell while these two (Rickon and Wildling) are doing what exactly?
They were traveling to The Last Hearth, the land of house Umber. Remember the Greatjon, the guy who got his fingers bit off by Robb's wolf? He's the lord of the Umbers.

I don't know about that. In Season 1 there was the arrest/trial by combat for Tyrion/Jaime vs Ned/ Mountain vs Hound by like epi 4-5. Also Robert dying/Ned betrayed on like epi 6-7.

Season 2 had the demon baby kill Renly by like epi 4 at the latest if I recall. Also the Arya + Tywin tension.

Major stuff happened throughout the season, only to be totally 1-up'd by the finale. I think that's what people are complaining about. Nothing major has really happened so far. Only the Wall has shown some legit progress imo. King's Landing, Mehreen, Dorne...stuff has happened, but nothing major.

All those events you mentioned for Season 1 (except for the Tyrion's arrest, which happened in a way here too), happened in episode 5 and onwards.

As for Season 2, I would argue the Sansa/Ramsay tension that the audience is feeling is just as large as for Arya/Tywin. While the demon baby scene was cool, we simply saw the baby being born by episode 4. This season has seen Jon become Lord Commander, which is a major development. The attack on Barristan and Grey Worm are also significant, and will likely have a huge impact on decisions Dany makes in the future. There's a lot of great thematic stuff going on with the issues that arise with ruling right now, and I think that that is a great

J-Rod

I think season has been good, but I also think losing tywin, the hound, and obyron have left a big hole to fill. Tyrion has also been on the sidelines somewhat so far, but I expect that to pick up.

So what's the deal with the Dornish trader who sold the contaminated doll to Stannis? It doesn't sound like some fluke if all he had was junk except for a doll with a dress in the Baratheon colors, but rather an assassination attempt. Who was trying to kill Stannis' family ~10 years ago? The nation of Dorne? Littlefinger?

So what's the deal with the Dornish trader who sold the contaminated doll to Stannis? It doesn't sound like some fluke if all he had was junk except for a doll with a dress in the Baratheon colors, but rather an assassination attempt. Who was trying to kill Stannis' family ~10 years ago? The nation of Dorne? Littlefinger?

Or it could be an accident.

I am really curious why they mention greyscale so often. Nearly every episode it was mentioned. Either someone's gonna get infected and die or we will see the stonemen, which are mentioned more often too.

Also Rhaegar the rapist/singer is quite interesting. I think there is more to it.

Razmos

I've found the talk of Greyscale quite interesting too, it's something that was barely touched upon at all so far in the series.

I find the idea of the Stone Men quite interesting. I wonder if they are in anyway connected with the white walkers?
It begs the question of whether Greyscale is magical or biological in nature.

EDIT: Urm, sorry, but I haven't actually read this far in the books anyway, so there wasn't any spoilers.

More like Jaime was a piece of shit before he met Brienne. He learned honor and being righteous from her and their entire journey. The biggest moment of self-reflection from Jaime came during when he was bathing with Brienne.

I mean he is still a pos for screwing with his sister. But you cant help but appreciate the fact that he has grown as a character (for better).

Volimar

I think that the stark realization that his name and sword hand can't get him out of trouble all the time also led to some growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom