• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones season 8 might be delayed to 2019

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, HBO programming chief Casey Bloys hinted that the eighth season (only six episodes long) might not air until 2019.

-

The interviewer then asked, more explicitly, “So as of now, the final season could air in 2018 and / or in 2019 depending on their needs?” To which Bloys responded, “Yeah. They have to write the episodes and figure out the production schedule. We’ll have a better sense of that once they get further into the writing.” It’s pretty vague, but it certainly implies that HBO has given Benioff and Weiss permission to take their time.

Though a Westeros-free 2018 would obviously disappoint Game of Thrones fans who can no longer fathom a summer without the show (me, too!), it’s possible that it’s... a good thing.

ugh, this sucks. GRRM has the ending's vision in his head already, and the season will be the shortest, so why would it take longer than anticipated to pen the final script?

please lock if old

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/2/15731682/hbo-game-of-thrones-season-8-2019-speculation

At least we've got Westworld in 2018, I guess.

If they're gonna take that long, though, I want more than just six episodes.

NYR

Very disappointing considering it is only 6 episodes long, no matter how long each episode is.

This is why I dont bother with any show until it is completely finished airing. Feel bad for the week to week watchers though.

If the delay means they can ensure the quality of each episode is top-notch, then I don't mind. I can wait. I've got Westworld and American Gods in the meantime.

jfkgoblue

THis is painful.

So westworld is worth watching? I've heard it's not so great from co workers.
It was ruined for me by reading the internet while the season was running and everyone figuring out EVERY plot twist before it happened. It should be much more enjoyable for someone just binging it.

Westworld Season 1 is the most I've enjoyed a show since Breaking Bad ended. I would put it up there with GoT Season 1.

It was ruined for me by reading the internet while the season was running and everyone figuring out EVERY plot twist before it happened. It should be much more enjoyable for someone just binging it.

Really? Well I'm off to binge thanks for the recommendation !

THis is painful.

So westworld is worth watching? I've heard it's not so great from co workers.
Yours coworkers have bad taste.

Some of the best television I've watched for years. Watching it weekly and discussing theories with friends and family was a treat. I'd rank it alongside the best from game of thrones and vastly better than the last two seasons of thrones.

Nameless

Feels like an AMC-esque move, a way to keep Thrones in their active catalog a bit longer. Or it could be a scheduling thing if they're dead set on certain directors. I'm definitely hoping to see Sapochnik and Neil Marshall back for the last batch of episodes.

ugh, this sucks. GRRM has the ending's vision in his head already, and the season will be the shortest, so why would it take longer than anticipated to pen the final script?

please lock if old

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/2/15731682/hbo-game-of-thrones-season-8-2019-speculation

The logistics on the show's filming are incredibly complicated and that only increases as the scale gets bigger.

The Battle of the Bastards took 25 days to film. That's insane given that most TV shows are shot in a week.

Gigglepoo

Because they're basically making a six-hour movie and that's really difficult to do?

Also, I may be entirely wrong, but I thing the ending of A Game of Thrones will be pretty different from A Song of Ice and Fire. The show is moving toward a good vs. evil showdown. I don't think things will be so black and white in the books.

Ponn

Banned
My bullshit meter is going crazy on this. They already split the "final season" into two smaller seasons, this seems completely unrealistic. Unless the writers are that inept, which i'm sure alot of the show haters would love to agree with that point anyways. This seems much more like they don't want to let go of a super hot franchise for them and drag it as much as possible. If they do this I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see that rumored GoT spinoff suddenly premiere in 2018 in its place.

The logistics on the show's filming are incredibly complicated and that only increases as the scale gets bigger.

The Battle of the Bastards took 25 days to film. That's insane given that most TV shows are shot in a week.

Because they're basically making a six-hour movie and that's really difficult to do?.

These are really, REALLY poor excuses since they have been pulling off longer seasons for years now with no hitch. Maybe (and we aren't sure yet) they will have a few more battle scenes but the shorter seasons were supposedly one of the reasons for that.

Slayven

Feels like an AMC-esque move, a way to keep Thrones in their active catalog a bit longer. Or it could be a scheduling thing if they're dead set on certain directors. I'm definitely hoping to see Sapochnik and Neil Marshall back for the last batch of episodes.

Thats my first thought, maybe "Oh shit what we got after it ends?"

Blader

My bullshit meter is going crazy on this. They already split the "final season" into two smaller seasons, this seems completely unrealistic. Unless the writers are that inept, which i'm sure alot of the show haters would love to agree with that point anyways. This seems much more like they don't want to let go of a super hot franchise for them and drag it as much as possible. If they do this I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see that rumored GoT spinoff suddenly premiere in 2018 in its place.

The writing isn't the problem. Doing bigger episodes, with lots of characters and massive battle sequences, requires a shit ton of filming time. Even a short S8 will take much longer to shoot than a normal season of TV does.

And that prequel isn't even close to ready. They don't even know what they want to be the focus, much less have a writer's room, production crew, cast, etc. all set up. To air in 2018, that show would need to be shooting within the next few months.

gutshot

That's not happening. They've already stated that the spin-offs are still in the very, very early stages of development. They haven't even seen any scripts yet. They would have to be filming it now if they wanted it to premiere next year.

That being said, I can see the spinoff premiering in 2020, a year (or two) after GoT ends its run.

riotous

Banned
Endings are the most difficult part of storytelling so makes some sense. Ending an epic like GoT is that much more difficult.

Lebron

Trying to minimize that gap between S8 and when they start spamming out the spin-offs

jfkgoblue said:
I've resigned myself to him never releasing another book. He just doesn't give a shit about finishing the series any more.
Think it's more of that he doesn't know how to fully finish it. He has way more loose ends and sub-plots to close in the books that they avoided in the series.

Chris R

For some reason I thought they had finished filming everything at this point and were just holding onto episodes for next year

Top Bottom