• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones season 8 might be delayed to 2019

Gigglepoo

These are really, REALLY poor excuses since they have been pulling off longer seasons for years now with no hitch. Maybe (and we aren't sure yet) they will have a few more battle scenes but the shorter seasons were supposedly one of the reasons for that.

The creators can do whatever they want. If it takes two years to make a season, then I and the rest of the world will wait two years. What does it matter? It's the most popular show on television right now despite some recent dips. I'm sure they want to stick the landing. A little more time in the writer's room, a longer production schedule, more time spent on special effects -- these things are bad to you?

I'll never understand why people get so upset at delays. There are so many excellent shows, movies, books, and video games out there, I have no problem waiting a little longer for the creators to achieve their vision.

It should also be noted that I am a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire. Clearly, I have no problem waiting for sequelsl. A Dance With Dragons came out six (6!) years ago next month. But I'll wait twice as long for The Winds of Winter if it's as good as the first five books.

Timbuktu

I don't really mind as long as they get it right. I enjoy the show when it's on but don't miss it or long for it when it's not. I guess anyone what have waited on the books would be numb to this kind of thing. We wait longer for sequels to most things.

ryseing

Yours coworkers have bad taste.

Some of the best television I've watched for years. Watching it weekly and discussing theories with friends and family was a treat. I'd rank it alongside the best from game of thrones and vastly better than the last two seasons of thrones.

But that's all there was to Westworld. The mystery box had no actual substance to it. Later half of the show felt very hollow.

Blader

I wonder if it is 2019, they'd time it for a January release to align with the "winter is here" element of the final seasons.

These are really, REALLY poor excuses since they have been pulling off longer seasons for years now with no hitch. Maybe (and we aren't sure yet) they will have a few more battle scenes but the shorter seasons were supposedly one of the reasons for that.

Did you miss how they just had to extend their normal production window for this season despite a reduced episode order? A similar extended window would push Season 8 into Fall 2018 anyway so 2019 isn't much of a stretch at that point.

Even episodes like Blackwater are nothing compared to the spectacle they have been putting out the past two years. It's not surprising at all that the production time lines are going up.

Just look at the amount of onscreen dragons in the past couple of seasons. Post-production on those type of effects takes a lot of time.

The show is effectively in mini-movie territory at this point.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
For some reason I thought they had finished filming everything at this point and were just holding onto episodes for next year

I swear I read that somewhere as well, that they filmed the final two seasons together and were just taking their time releasing them.

Slayven

Westworld may be able to fill in, but GOT is gonna be impossible for them to replace.

I've resigned myself to him never releasing another book. He just doesn't give a shit about finishing the series any more.

Haven't watched westworld, but all the impressions i gotten are pretty "meh".

Ponn

Banned
The logistics on the show's filming are incredibly complicated and that only increases as the scale gets bigger.

The Battle of the Bastards took 25 days to film. That's insane given that most TV shows are shot in a week.

Dude, come on thats not even remotely true. Every damn show on CW is broken up into seasons with multiple breaks now because of ongoing shooting. This is a very flimsy excuse not backed up with any evidence what so ever and dependent on making all the previous seasons they have been able to put out on consistent basis somehow lesser. Especially when we haven't even seen the new season.

The writing isn't the problem. Doing bigger episodes, with lots of characters and massive battle sequences, requires a shit ton of filming time. Even a short S8 will take much longer to shoot than a normal season of TV does.

And that prequel isn't even close to ready. They don't even know what they want to be the focus, much less have a writer's room, production crew, cast, etc. all set up. To air in 2018, that show would need to be shooting within the next few months.

They may not do that prequel in 2018, that was just a quick guess on my part but I would guarantee this all tied into a bigger plan for the franchise as a whole. Maybe they want to premiere or show a pilot of the spinoff during the last season to keep the hype train.

The creators can do whatever they want. If it takes two years to make a season, then I and the rest of the world will wait two years. What does it matter? It's the most popular show on television right now despite some recent dips. I'm sure they want to stick the landing. A little more time in the writer's room, a longer production schedule, more time spent on special effects -- these things are bad to you?

I'll never understand why people get so upset at delays. There are so many excellent shows, movies, books, and video games out there, I have no problem waiting a little longer for the creators to achieve their vision.

It should also be noted that I am a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire. Clearly, I have no problem waiting for sequelsl. A Dance With Dragons came out six (6!) years ago next month. But I'll wait twice as long for The Winds of Winter if it's as good as the first five books.

They can do absolutely what they want, i'm not arguing that. I don't have to buy their flimsy ass excuse though line hook and sinker. I'm just calling them out on a bullshit excuse. They have a very hot franchise that is raking in subs for them, its beyond obvious that as a company they would want to drag that money train out for as long as possible.

jfkgoblue

Did you miss how they just had to extend their normal production window for this season despite a reduced episode order? A similar extended window would push Season 8 into Fall 2018 anyway so 2019 isn't much of a stretch at that point.

Even episodes like Blackwater are nothing compared to the spectacle they have been putting out the past two years. It's not surprising at all that the production time lines are going up.

Just look at the amount of onscreen dragons in the past couple of seasons. Post-production on those type of effects takes a lot of time.

The show is effectively in mini-movie territory at this point.
Production wasn't extended, they just had to wait for winter for much of this season's filming.

Man, I was really, really looking forward to it, too. Still, I'd rather they get right whatever they need to to end this series in a way that does it justice. Bummed, but willing to wait. They've done an amazing job up until now (for the most part), so they've earned my patience.

Blader

Dude, come on thats not even remotely true. Every damn show on CW is broken up into seasons with multiple breaks now because of ongoing shooting. This is a very flimsy excuse not backed up with any evidence what so ever and dependent on making all the previous seasons they have been able to put out on consistent basis somehow lesser. Especially when we haven't even seen the new season.

He's talking about on an episode per basis. Obviously an entire season takes longer to shoot than that. But your average TV episode takes about a week to shoot; something on the scale of The Battle of Bastards takes 3-4 weeks. If they do more than one of those, even with fewer episodes to shoot overall, that causes their shooting schedule to swell (to say nothing of all the additional pre- and post-production work those episodes require compared to more normal eps).

They may not do that prequel in 2018, that was just a quick guess on my part but I would guarantee this all tied into a bigger plan for the franchise as a whole. Maybe they want to premiere or show a pilot of the spinoff during the last season to keep the hype train.

heh, I'm not really sure needing to keep the hype train rolling is a major concern... this is one of the biggest TV shows in the world. Any spinoff is going to be coming in hot regardless of how much of a time gap there is between it and S8.

But that's all there was to Westworld. The mystery box had no actual substance to it. Later half of the show felt very hollow.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Watching the story unravel was fantastic and the build up to the season finale was brilliant.

Damn who are these people calling west world meh.

Hollow is a more accurate description of the current state of game of thrones, a handful of episodes (Hold the door, battle of the Bastards and the season finale) prop up an otherwise average season.

Dude, come on thats not even remotely true. Every damn show on CW is broken up into seasons with multiple breaks now because of ongoing shooting.

Um, yes it is. Typical production times for most network TV series is about 8 days. 22 eps per yearsx8 =176 of shooting. You are at 6 months of production time without even factoring in pre-production, post-production, or breaks.

Robot Pants

THis is painful.

So westworld is worth watching? I've heard it's not so great from co workers.
It's not.
I was hyped beyond thunderdome for it for years and it really didn't achieve what I was hoping.
There's very little to it beyond the episode-by-episode "what the heck is going on?" mystery

number11

Do people complain about movie sequels being several years apart? With the way the story is heading, the final season is gonna be huge in terms of production.

Normally, I'd agree with this - I'm definitely all in this on games and books, but with a visual medium that has a number of young and youngish actors, a whole lot can happen in two years.

How many young actors are still on this show? It's not like the kids haven't had massive growth spurts already during the 6 seasons. It was pretty funny seeing grown man Rickon last season

Jesus, if you guys wait too long Bran might mutate again.

2019 ? I'm over it then. HBO should just release a single bit of PR "See you in 2019" and not bother my ass with this shit until 3 weeks until release.

Ponn

Banned
He's talking about on an episode per basis. Obviously an entire season takes longer to shoot than that. But your average TV episode takes about a week to shoot; something on the scale of The Battle of Bastards takes 3-4 weeks. If they do more than one of those, even with fewer episodes to shoot overall, that causes their shooting schedule to swell (to say nothing of all the additional pre- and post-production work those episodes require compared to more normal eps)..

Um, yes it is. Typical production times for most network TV series is about 8 days. 22 eps per yearsx8 =176 of shooting. You are at 6 months of production time without even factoring in pre-production, post-production, or breaks.

Ok per episode, my bad I misunderstood you and thought you meant the whole season the way it was worded.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Well I mean you can cancel, but as a current HBO subscriber I could see why one might want shows they want to watch on a service they are currently paying for it.

I hope not, but considering this year it's starting a few months later, then it's easy to see why the next season could start in early 2019.

Also, the last episode of S7 is 81 minutes long.

The last episode of the series will probably be 2 hours at least, which is essentially a movie they're filming at that point.

I rather them take a while and do it right that rush it to meet a deadline and cut corners.

Haven't watched westworld, but all the impressions i gotten are pretty "meh".

I don't know where you got these impressions, but the show is top-tier quality. Fantastic writing and directing, and possibly Anthony Hopkins's greatest performance. You should really watch it.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Watching the story unravel was fantastic and the build up to the season finale was brilliant.

Damn who are these people calling west world meh.

Hollow is a more accurate description of the current state of game of thrones, a handful of episodes (Hold the door, battle of the Bastards and the season finale) prop up an otherwise average season.

There is nothing more hollow and good at the same time than Westworld. At least with GoT they given me a reason to care about the characters over years, but with Westworld so far not a single character matters to me. I still think there is a great show in Westworld with some improvements (in writing I hope in season 2), and I wouldn't call it 'meh', but overall it barely made my top 10 of 2016. Still great acting and directing, but I strongly disagree with calling the writing 'fantastic'. The show was trying to deep, and the writing wasn't able to delver.

Doesn't look like anything to me.

Oh you are missing out, but just don't buy the hype of it being the greatest thing on TV. It's far from it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Haha, it's like Martin has infected the show producers finally. Eventually they'll be like "yeah we're still working on the final season, we won't release it until it's done, meanwhile we'll be watching football and going to conferences"

Solo

It's probably because Westworld is taking the GoT April slot in 2018. Delay GoT to April 2019, then Westworld is back April 2020.

Blader

Haha, it's like Martin has infected the show producers finally. Eventually they'll be like "yeah we're still working on the final season, we won't release it until it's done, meanwhile we'll be watching football and going to conferences"

Benioff and Weiss ultimately have to answer to HBO. GRRM can write the books whenever he wants, at his own pace.

velociraptor

It's not.
I was hyped beyond thunderdome for it for years and it really didn't achieve what I was hoping.
There's very little to it beyond the episode-by-episode "what the heck is going on?" mystery
I agree.

It was only until the last 2 episodes where I finally thought 'oh'.

But if I were to judge the show on a per episode basis, then yeah, nothing really special.

Take your time. I'll just watch it when it's done. I stopped caring about delays and such of entertainment products. As long as it is fun to watch in the end.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm fine with it, if it makes them deliver a better product. I'll take quality over speed. There's not guarantee that that's actually what's going on, but I can be optimistic.

THis is painful.

So westworld is worth watching? I've heard it's not so great from co workers.

Your coworkers have terrible taste.

Top Bottom