• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

manfestival

That feeling when I tell someone how disappointed I have been with the show the past couple of seasons. They then give me a sideways reaction like I am crazy. I wish I could explain it but I imagine half of it would go over their heads and the other half is just them convinced otherwise. The big one I bring up about how the show was originally supposed to be different from all of the expected tropes. Then I get the braindead response of "well I like how it has turned out."

UGH also GRRM hasn't really been talking about the content of the show. Dude is just sitting on a pile of money and coasting but with 0 critiques.

Not saying I disagree, but did we actually see Benjen die? I can't remember.
He was surrounded by wights and smothered. However, I GUESS since last episode. We aren't even certain if he is dead since that happened to many characters and they are still alive.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Do we know what this symbol means?

6dc5b2e7f395-600x338.jpg

According to D&D, nothing.

But in other GRRM works, is the symbol of a galactic genetic engineering group.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Which tells you that Dolorous Edd and Tormund are actually much more faster than the White Walkers.

Show consistency is the best.

Bran is the memory of humanity, that's why he is after him first. That's the show canon.

You can literally use the same plan using Bran as decoy, but putting him away from Winterfell so nobody has to die.

You still can have Arya killing him, the only difference is that she would be jumping from a tree instead of from a literal plothole.

No way thats an entirely different thing

Ed and Tormund are riding horses galloping at full speed, the white walkers are marching walking barefoot

No Arya cant kill NK randomly, she can get close at the final moment because NK was too distracted and focused on Bran, that is probably something Bran have been expecting all season

Bran is sort of the dr Strange in Game of Thrones

Remember when hes waiting for Jamie and Sam asked him why are you waiting here all day he replied " waiting for an old friend"

Hes probably have seen many different posible outcome in the future too and figures out this is the one where they can kill the NK

The moment he choses to stay in the woods and not in the crypt like everyone advised him...also when he gave that dagger to Arya i dont think its a random thing to do but serve a purpose and now we can see the reason why

Last edited:

mekes

I don’t get why people think John should have died. We need Dani to stab him in the back at the end of the next episode.

Jon Neu

Banned
No way thats an entirely different thing

Ed and Tormund are riding horses galloping at full speed, the white walkers are marching walking barefoot

So they are fast or slow when suits the show.

No Arya cant kill NK randomly

She literally can, neither the Night King or the White Walkers can sense her.

And she is even so fast that makes the hair of a White Walker move like she was the wind.

I mean, the war against Cersei should not even happen, just take Arya near Kings Landing and let her change her appearence as a Lannister soldier. She can kill Cersei and Euron in less than half of an hour.

Bran is sort of the dr Strange in Game of Thrones

Bran is sort of this boring character that was hyped up to be incredibly powerful yet the only things he does is stare awkwardly, say some one liners and from time to time skinchange some ravens so we can see the NK.

He didn't even know if dragon fire could kill the NK, which is obviously totally convenient.

The moment he choses to stay in the woods and not in the crypt like everyone advised him...also when he gave that dagger to Arya i dont think its a random thing to do but serve a purpose and now we can see the reason why

That's just crappy writing. There was literally no need for everything they did.

With Bran and Arya's powers, they can literally kill anybody in whatever way they want.

Airbus Jr

Banned

And she is even so fast that makes the hair of a White Walker move like she was the wind.

I mean, the war against Cersei should not even happen, just take Arya near Kings Landing and let her change her appearence as a Lannister soldier. She can kill Cersei and Euron in less than half of an hour.

Bran is sort of this boring character that was hyped up to be incredibly powerful yet the only things he does is stare awkwardly, say some one liners and from time to time skinchange some ravens so we can see the NK.

He didn't even know if dragon fire could kill the NK, which is obviously totally convenient.
ci

That's just crappy writing. There was literally no need for everything they did.

With Bran and Arya's powers, they can literally kill anybody in whatever way they want.
Theyre becoming fast or slow it depends on how they react to their surrounding

If theres nothing nearby they re kinda in dormant docile state

Arya indeed intended to finish Cersei but in previous season when she figures out about Jon she decided to head north first

And for the last part look if you dont like Bran personally than complain to Weis&Benioff not to me

Im just sticking to what the shows imply to me( that Bran has greenser abilities) and how the story evolves

If you still not satisfied with how the story and progression evolved last episode well theres really nothing i can do about it

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
tumblr_m27na0fFph1qbxtgwo2_250.gif

Those Stark genes are truly something.

-Bran. He can see the past, the present and the future and travel in time. Super gifted skinchanger.

-Arya. Faster than the speed of sound, can change his appearance, indetectable and a master with almost any weapon imaginable.

-Jon. He is the rightful king of Westeros. Handsome as fuck. Skinchanger. He came back from the dead.

-Sansa. She is the smartest person ever.

-Rickon. He can only run straight.

MetalAlien

Banned
Theyl be having even more imposible fight to win because theyl have to fight two fronts ( have to face White Walkers wave from the north without any fortifications ) and (Lannister + Golden Company in the south) at the same time!
Not when they see what's right one their ass! Even more so when Jamie points out that the walkers in the lead were the fighters left behind at winterfell.

MMaRsu

Banned
According to D&D, nothing.

But in other GRRM works, is the symbol of a galactic genetic engineering group.

So Aliens?

Lol all this whining about the NK not getting more backstory, will it ever stop

this is like lost fans wanting to know the meaning behind the numbers

there is no meaning

Xenon

I think they backed themselves into a corner literally with how they set up the dead fast movement and their huge numbers. They could have easily made things more manageable but still intense by having the humans put together a better defense. But they let things get over run so quickly it was hard to accept that the people in the castle weren't just buried by the zombies in minutes. There was nothing clever done. They just lined up everybody in a standard Banner formation which makes no sense considering their enemy. In the end I was still entertained. Hopefully this is better done in the books.

Still I was entertained and enjoyed it.

MMaRsu

Banned

Has the Nk encountered a full grown dragon before, had it breath fire on him, and done by humans so the three eyed raven would know?

no?

then how would bran know

Fbh

Do we know what this symbol means?

6dc5b2e7f395-600x338.jpg

Nothing.
Also the Night King was basically just a dude.
And he was evil for the sake of being evil.

At least that's the version the show is going with. Maybe the books will have more to say if they ever release

Yall talking about crappy writing this no explaining that while the season isn't over yet. Complain once we get the last puzzles

I guess you have a point. But given the writing these past 2 seasons I'm pretty sure that was it for the White Walkers and the show will now focus on the conflict with Cersei

Bottom line, GoT got huge by being the smartest show in the room. It did things differently. It killed main characters. It layered lots of complex nuance and shades of grey at every turn. Lore was deeper than most could follow.

I don't think any of the fans of S8E3 think that was the smartest show in the room.

sol_bad

I haven't read any of this thread but just wanted to quickly chime in.
When Aria stabbed the Night King, initially I'll admit that I screamed out in excitement because I was worried about characters dying. Almost instantly that excitement changed to disappointment as all the White Walkers collapsed. They have been building this up for 7 seasons and we get a single episode battle? Now hopefully the threat is not over, I'd be perfectly fine with the Night Kings soul transferring to another body i the north!

I mean, the White Walkers terrorised the country years ago and it's the reason they built the giant wall. To defeat them in a single episode is absolutely deflating.
It took them 2 years to make and release this newest season so I have high hopes that the White Walkers aren't dead yet.

MetalAlien

Banned
People bitching about battle plans, but are seemingly incapable of comprehending that there was no way for the entirety of the North to migrate on mass south with the Night Kings army bearing down on them. The dead don't need, sleep, food or respite. They don't suffer from morale loss either. They just march and kill.
Do you remember the episode in season seven when Jon was north of the wall surrounded by whites and sent a raven or something to Dani all the way in Dragonstone and she managed to fly her dragons all the way back and defend him in a single night?

Yea I didn't think so.

desertdroog

So bran has latent, untapped, undemonstrated powers, powers that even threatened the night king. I assume he will do something and help them at some point against Cersei? Or will he just continue sitting there being all important for no reason?

This is an important note. With the exception of Bran and Cersei's hand, aren't all magic users out of the fray until the end?

I guess Arya is magical in some aspects, but as you point out, we don't know what Bran is fully capable of doing.

I also am curious what he was up to when he Warg'ed the Crows. Did he send them off somewhere or was it merely to shine a beacon for the Night King (to which I am confused since Bran has the NK mark on his arm and can be seen at all times)?

Joe T.

I hesitate to criticize the story-related decisions Weiss and Benioff made in The Long Night, most notably in regard to Night King's demise, because there are still 3 episodes and close to 4 hours worth of GoT left. I can see how they might justify the elimination of the Night King and his undead army, but if it does come down to Arya easily disposing of Cersei after another hard-fought battle it's going to be an incredibly deflating end to an otherwise outstanding series.

There was a lot to like in the way Sapochnik handled that episode, it lived up to and surpassed expectations as far as I'm concerned. The fog/blizzard of war, as annoying as it was, served its purpose both from a storytelling and technical/financial basis. The ill-conceived battle strategy can easily be explained by the setting - these aren't generals with centuries of military history to draw upon. The score gave me a Terminator 2-like vibe, too.

It's difficult to explain away how the characters within the castle walls survived and did so without receiving crippling injuries, how both dragons are still capable of flying in the upcoming episode and how Ghost managed to survive considering how easily Summer was overwhelmed while defending Bran. Sansa and Tyrion delivered some of the more memorable moments in the episode, but also a missed opportunity for some darker, more nuanced content, like one of them ending the other's life just as Night King is being defeated to deliver the type of "OMG" moment the show is known for. The Marvel-esque critiques seem on point to me, which is unfortunate, so here's hoping there was a good reason to leave those characters standing when all is said and done.

I guess the next episode is going to be mostly a setup for the final battle in episode 5 that Sapochnik is also directing, one that hopefully won't be happening at night.

RedVIper

Banned
This is an important note. With the exception of Bran and Cersei's hand, aren't all magic users out of the fray until the end?

I guess Arya is magical in some aspects, but as you point out, we don't know what Bran is fully capable of doing.

I also am curious what he was up to when he Warg'ed the Crows. Did he send them off somewhere or was it merely to shine a beacon for the Night King (to which I am confused since Bran has the NK mark on his arm and can be seen at all times)?

Bran just wanted to get a good overview shot of the battle.

The whole character is pointless.

20cent

Banned
Bottom line, GoT got huge by being the smartest show in the room. It did things differently. It killed main characters. It layered lots of complex nuance and shades of grey at every turn. Lore was deeper than most could follow.

I don't think any of the fans of S8E3 think that was the smartest show in the room.

"You obviously hate what the show became, no one forces you to watch something you gave 10 years of attention, but I bet you'll be watching next Sunday. Uh, "hater" "

KonradLaw

Arya being the one to kill him fits with the theme of the show. I think I was dissapointed because it betrayed the epic fantasy style the show adopted since S6. Not just in who killed him, but how underwhelming the entire confrintation was. Jon running to him trying to get in time before he ressurects the fallen soldiers had more style and epicness than actual death of the boss. He was also very underdeveloped as a villain.

Jon Neu

Banned
Imagine being junior writer in that script and having to be like "damn David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, you fuckin' fine, all clever with your fridge ideas and horrific twists. I would totally write a story with you." when all he really wants to do is fuck another 16 year old extra in Cersei's dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be that starting writer and not only read that script while Benioff and Weiss flaunt their disgusting ideas in front of you, the sound of the room revealing their excitement and additional story details, while they slowly slog around the storyboard. Not only having to tolerate their monstrous fucking retardation but their haughty attitude as everyone nearby tells them they STILL GOT IT and DAMN YOU GUYS ARE SO SMART!! because they're not the ones who have to sit there and read the dumpster fucking fire script of the next season. You've been reading fucking nothing but a healthy diet of Tolkien and later alleged great works of a polish alcoholic for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the windmills of England. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can feel the retardation that is breaking out of that storyboard as they leave it open while reading those improperly fit set pieces, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there, look at the script, and revel in their "genius" writing, writing they worked so hard for 7 days a week in the previous two years. And then they call for another scene, and you know you could kill every single executive producer in this building before the security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're a fucking junior writer. You're not going to lose your future wordsmith career over this. Just bear it. Smile and bear it.

KonradLaw

With three eps left ya wanted more backstory to nk when there never was one
I actually think one of the reasons they did it was simply not to spoil the fun for the prequel series. It will focus on long night afterall, so it makes some sense to save the best of undead for that show, even if it caused GoT to be worse than it could

I watched those youtube vids about the lore of the series and it explained who and what the white walkers were. Seems people only in tune with the show are upset. Fill in the blanks on your own. It's free and only a few clicks away. Delve into the lore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why was Bran so useless? Maybe he could have stayed out in the godswood because he needed to tap into the weirwood tree to unlock Winterfell's full defenses. That would have been interesting. Perhaps he could have used the ravens to collect intel on the battlefield and tell the Unsullied where to aim the trebuchets. Perhaps he could have warged into all of the animals in the forest to mount an offense. NK reanimates the dead, while 3ER takes control of the living.

But instead they just rush in their cavalry for no reason like idiots.

NK being so one dimensional was disappointing. They could have pulled a Whispering Woods and faked out Jon/Dany while the main WW fucked up King's Landing.

Luring Jon into a field of dead people then raising the dead was a good trap. He should have used that trick to kill someone.

This are my headcannon ideas that would have made for more interesting TV:

Side WW force attacks Winterfell. Battle ensues with the living using less stupid military tactics. Battle looks like it's going in Jon's favor, Jon is drawn out into the battlefield.

Brienne is mortally wounded and Jamie rescues her and brings her inside. They remark how it doesn't seem like there are as many undead as they expected. Bran uses his raven Intel to confirm that the NK is not around and that theyre only fighting a fraction of the WW army.

Random WW general casts raise dead. Zombies rise up at Jon's feet and swarm him. Survivors in the castle are trying to regroup and no one notices that Brienne died and has just been reanimated. She takes out Davos or somebody. Pod tries to kill her but has an emotional moment, hesitates and gets killed by zombie Brienne. Jamie doesn't hesitate.

Other stuff happens.

NK is at King's Landing and blows up the Red Keep, etc.

Other stuff happens

Arya confronts and kills the NK, original dragonglass dagger falls out of the NK. The other WW are still alive though because the Independence Day "kill the leader and everyone else dies" trope is stupid. It's revealed that they didn't kill Jon, just captured him. Bran convinces Arya to give him the dragonglass dagger. Bran and others go to rescue Jon, and when they do, Bran shoves the dagger into Jon to create a new NK and explains the holes in the prophecies to make it work blah blah Matrix Neo choice blah blah You were the chosen one blah blah you were supposed to end the Sith not join it blah blah fill in the rest.

Kadayi

Banned
Do you remember the episode in season seven when Jon was north of the wall surrounded by whites and sent a raven or something to Dani all the way in Dragonstone and she managed to fly her dragons all the way back and defend him in a single night?

Yea I didn't think so.

You clearly weren't paying attention if you think that all happened in one night.

MetalAlien

Banned
You clearly weren't paying attention if you think that all happened in one night.
You mean I wasn't paying attention when they got stranded on the rock in the middle of the ice lake that wasn't quite frozen all the way through in the evening, the same evening that Gendry runs all the back to the wall and nearly dead is just able to whisper "we need to send a raven". and then the very next morning the Hound throws a rock onto the ice to see if it's frozen and it is, so all the walkers storm the rock only to have Dani and the dragons show up in the middle of that battle and save them? Dani who was shown mounting the dragons that very same morning at Dragon stone?

Is that what I wasn't paying attention to?

ruvikx

Banned
At times I feel like GRRM is delaying the books on purpose so that it becomes clear that all the good ideas were his.

I'm somewhat 100% certain Martin is completely aboard & in agreement with HBO. His contract probably stipulates as much. I'd be very surprised if he ever releases a book which contradicts the TV series or makes them look like idiots. Money & influence talks.

Jon Neu

Banned
Why was Bran so useless?

Because D&D can't write for their lives.

Remember that marevelous episode titled Beyond The Wall?

-Think the Night King and the White Walkers have some grander purpose and meaning beyond just killing as many men as possible
-Think NK has some sort of master plan thousands of years in the making where he had three-eye-raven powers and knew to pull a bunch of strings to set up a scenario where one day Dany would arrive with her dragons and knew exactly where to be and what to do to capture one and use it to break the magical wall that's kept the white walkers barricaded beyond the wall.
-lol nope, it was all just hack writing and coincidences and he's just a saturday morning cartoon villain with no further purpose
-Also just hates Bran/3ER and can interact with him in the dream world because lol reasons

Ulysses 31

Don't watch GoT but I'm seeing some real dumb events described in all them critique/reviews of the last ep. :lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning:

Lots of insulting the intelligence of the viewer kind of stuff that seem to be plaguing lots of big budget TV/Movie productions these days.

Going for style over substance.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Oh btw the rest of the season plot has already been leaked, so if you don't want to get spoiled be careful out there.

RedVIper

Banned
Where was it leaked? I kinda want to see it to even know if I should bother watching this mess.

I can't find it.
But some guy made a few "prediction" (He was working on the show or something) and they were all true, so I assume the rest of the predictions will be true aswell.
I actually like the ending, I just doubt it will be written in a satisfying way.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
You mean I wasn't paying attention when they got stranded on the rock in the middle of the ice lake that wasn't quite frozen all the way through in the evening, the same evening that Gendry runs all the back to the wall and nearly dead is just able to whisper "we need to send a raven". and then the very next morning the Hound throws a rock onto the ice to see if it's frozen and it is, so all the walkers storm the rock only to have Dani and the dragons show up in the middle of that battle and save them? Dani who was shown mounting the dragons that very same morning at Dragon stone?

The next day? There's nothing that says it's the very next day. That's just an assumption on your part.

Still, I fail to see who any of this pertains to the Long Night, or this idea that the Dragons could rapidly decant the inhabitants of Winterfell to either the South or the Iron Islands whilst the Castle is under siege.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm somewhat 100% certain Martin is completely aboard & in agreement with HBO. His contract probably stipulates as much. I'd be very surprised if he ever releases a book which contradicts the TV series or makes them look like idiots. Money & influence talks.

Dat conspiracy man......

Both The writers and GRRM got together and he went over the particulars of events and the story beats for several days a good few seasons back when it was clear that the Show was going to outpace the books. This is known. Making out like HBO are some sort of Mafiosi standing over GRRM is just some fanciful thinking.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Emilia Clarke has said the 5th episode is "bigger" than the 3rd.

It can't be just because the battle against Cersei, it has to be something else to be considered "bigger". Something about Bran, right?

Yes, even after all this shit, I still BELIEVE.

Pls kill me

Top Bottom