• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

RedVIper

Banned
LOL. Absolutely. How else were they going to get away? Fight their way through the Night Kings Army? The issue of how long they were actually there, is unimportant versus the nature of their predicament.

Please, you posited an unfeasible theory that the Dragons could decant everyone from Winterfell to some undisclosed location of safety (presumably either Dragonstone or the Iron Islands) and I merely pointed out the flaws in that idea. No need to get pissy about it. The show it telling a narrative, with certain beats being required. Now within that frame, one can discuss and critique as to how something could have been better implemented (such as with behind the wall showing the dirty dozen at night crouching around a fire) but what you can't argue against is the intent.

When people are looking for ways as to how the good guys could have won the battle, outside of how it played out with Arya killing the NK at great cost as the story required, they're basically doing criticism wrong. The Dothraki were always going to get wiped out by the army of the dead. The dead were always going to breach the walls. The narrative demands it. Could certain things have been better implemented? Sure, but the results would still be the same., Arya killing the Night King with the Valerian Steel Dagger in the Gods Wood before he is able to strike down Bran.

The writing is shit because it's necessary that it's shit is hardly a a compelling argument.

Airbus Jr

Banned
LOL no, I'm not going to hold it agaisnt them because there's barely any movie that does armor properly but this is not how plate armor works.

You can't just pierce plate armor without a specific kinda of weapon, you could spend all day hitting me it's not getting trough.

He's also not overwhelmed, it was 1 wight that killed him. Your armor also doesn't lose durability from one fucking batlle.

He died because it has necessary for the plot, I just don't understand why these idiots always feel the need to have them die with a sword to the chest, have it go trough his face since nobody wears a fucking helmet.

Im going to call it for what it is

in winterfell jorah was outnumbered for like 1000 to 1

i dont care how umpenetrable he is hes fukin dead if he get swarmed like that

RedVIper

Banned
Im going to call it for what it is

Everyone was outnumbured 1000 to 1 and they all lived. Jorah dies to like 1 wight while defending dumb danny.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Everyone was outnumbured 1000 to 1 and they all lived. Jorah dies to like 1 wight while defending dumb danny.

He didnt died from 1 wight, theres hundreds thousands of them around him

Just because its off screen/they dont show all of it doesnt mean there isnt any

Also mans getting old and not as strong as he used to be in early season

He died with honor and dignity, just let him go and move on with it

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
He didnt died from 1 wight, theres hundreds thousands of them around him

Just because its off screen/they dont show all of it doesnt mean there isnt any

Also mans getting old and not as strong as he used to be in early season

He died with honor and dignity, just let him go and move on with it

Then it's bad writing/poorly shot and I can criticize it. Fucking Sam survives being overun by zombies like 5 times, doubt he's a better fighter than Jorah.

Idc than Jorah died, it was just poorly done.

MMaRsu

Banned
People are discussing the show, people just don't like it. If people complaining about poor writing is a problem you're welcome to leave.

Bad writing "all of a sudden"

Last few seasons have been aces with few minor issues.

Book readers are salty af that George isnt writing anymore

Despite him saying the ending is as close to his version

All yall are doing here is bitch and whine, there is no discussion at all.

"The premise of the show is done now"

Rofl cry me a fucking river.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Then it's bad writing/poorly shot and I can criticize it. Fucking Sam survives being overun by zombies like 5 times, doubt he's a better fighter than Jorah.

Idc than Jorah died, it was just poorly done.

I think Sam survived because he gets burried up and ignored..

Look you can be as critical as you want

why x character survives...why z character dont survives...and many others..everyones got different things going on in their head....

I got friends still moaning up to these days on how dumb it is for Oberyn to be killed by the Mountain..he said its a poor and lazy writting....

Or how another one calling that Litlefinger death are stupid and he supposed to survive to the end of the series...

Everyones got their favourite dead at some point and they cant accept that..and thats totally fine..but you dont decide how the story ends here...the writter does....

If youre not happy with how this story ends then complain to Weis/Beniof or GRRM not me

Im just an audience here

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Were you not around last season, season 7 was a fucking mess, season 5 had a lot of shit in it too. Complaining about the stupidity of dumb and dumber isn't exactly new.
Also when did "book readers" became and insult, do you think only book readers dislike the episode?

Also it's literally impossible for the ending to be "similar" when the NK doesn't even exist in the books, the choice to have Arya kill him was made by D&D. And again most people don't care about what happened, just how it happened.

If you just want positive opinions about the show you can go on /gameofthrones were negative aren't fucking allowed,

MMaRsu

Banned
S7 wasnt a stupid mess at all. Thats your opinion, not a fact. S7 had many awesome episodes. Sure a few niggles here and there but nothing major. Same with S6 and S5.

Its because book readers were confined to their own threads, and I guess had a circlejerk over George's work instead,, while show viewers were enjoying the show for as long as it's been airing

I never said negative opinions arent allowed but is thats how this thread is going to be now? With 90% book readers shitting on the show because it doesnt align with their assumptions on what the show should be about?

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I think Sam survived because he gets burried up and ignored..

Look you can be as critical as you want

why x character survives...why z character dont survives...and many others..everyones got different things going on in their head....

I got friends still moaning up to these days on how dumb it is for Oberyn to be killed by the Mountain..he said its a poor and lazy writting....

Or how another one calling that Litlefinger death are stupid and he supposed to survive to the end of the series...

Everyones got their favourite dead at some point and they cant accept that..and thats totally fine..but you dont decide how the story ends here...the writter does....

If youre not happy with how this story ends then complain to Weis/Beniof or GRRM not me

Im just an audience here

Dude the only reason I "complained" to you, was because you said it was possible to pierce Jorahs plate armor like that and it really isn't.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dude the only reason I "complained" to you, was because you said it was possible to pierce Jorahs plate armor like that and it really isn't.

And what are we supposed to do about it?

Jorah could be using lighter armor in winterfell...or maybe the zombies that stabbed him carrying a better or sharper weapons...or his armor already messed up because it got hit repeatedly everywhere..

Theres many details we dont know man

MMaRsu

Banned
Also people itt have been talking about the same shit since monday. we get it , you think the show is written badly, too much plotholes/plot armor, nk lore not expanded enough etc.

Just saying its getting boring to keep discussing the same talking points over and over and over and over

Nothing wrong with not liking it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

RedVIper

Banned
S7 wasnt a stupid mess at all. Thats your opinion, not a fact. S7 had many awesome episodes. Sure a few niggles here and there but nothing major. Same with S6 and S5.

Its because book readers were confined to their own threads, and I guess had a circlejerk over George's work instead,, while show viewers were enjoying the show for as long as it's been airing

I never said negative opinions arent allowed but is thats how this thread is going to be now? With 90% book readers shitting on the show because it doesnt align with their assumptions on what the show should be about?

It's not my "opinion", there's shit on S7 that objectively makes zero sense. The whole adventure to go beyong the wall to capture a whight was borderline retarded. They fast travel more than we do.

Again why do you seem to think it's just those "evil books readers" that dislike the episode?

Also people itt have been talking about the same shit since monday. we get it , you think the show is written badly, too much plotholes/plot armor, nk lore not expanded enough etc.

Just saying its getting boring to keep discussing the same talking points over and over and over and over

So what do you want people to discuss? There's a new episode in a couple days and people will discuss it then.
Idk you have been bitching a lot because other people don't like it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's not my "opinion", there's shit on S7 that objectively makes zero sense. The whole adventure to go beyong the wall to capture a whight was borderline retarded. They fast travel more than we do.

Again why do you seem to think it's just those "evil books readers" that dislike the episode?

So what do you want people to discuss? There's a new episode in a couple days and people will discuss it then.
Idk you have been bitching a lot because other people don't like it.

Tyrone already explained that they need to bring a live zombies to Kings Landing as evidence?

Why is it making zero sense to you? Becauses it actually make sense to me

They had to fast travel and skip all the traveling part because of limited episode or budget i guess?

But werent you guys complain the oposite about Arya and The Hound adventure too? Or Danny adventure in Essos?

That its wasting time and should skip all that? That upcoming Game of Thrones episode should not waste so many time on the travelling/journey part?Seems like nobody is gona be happy here no matter what

Last edited:

Raynes

Tyrone? :messenger_grinning_squinting: We are done here LOL

0z0mtvxt4s911.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
When people are looking for ways as to how the good guys could have won the battle, outside of how it played out with Arya killing the NK at great cost as the story required, they're basically doing criticism wrong. The Dothraki were always going to get wiped out by the army of the dead. The dead were always going to breach the walls. The narrative demands it. Could certain things have been better implemented? Sure, but the results would still be the same., Arya killing the Night King with the Valerian Steel Dagger in the Gods Wood before he is able to strike down Bran.

Sorry man, but thats just plain stupid. No, the results wouldn't be the same, because all that happens before the end result is what separates good writing from bad writing. Yeah, if you need to make the Dothraki die because the narrative demands it, that’s why it’s so important to write it in a believable, cohesive and satisfying way. That's why GRRM spends so much time writing, because he wants to do it right, he wants things to make sense and be realistic inside their own world, not just write some Hollywood shit and make his characters do random incoherent stuff just because.

Send the Dothraki to die alone just before the battle is the stupidest shit ever. You have a fucking castle, those were built so you can have your army behind it's walls and have and advantadge against your enemies. Why would you sent your precious warriors outside and why would you sent a small portion of your army against the entire army of the death? You made the Dothraki and their death literally irrelevant, like so many other things in the show. It was just dumb, empty fireworks.

What?

Sam was far more outnumbered than Jorah and he survived. He survived. Sam fucking Tarly survived the fight against the White Walkers and the thousand of super strong and trained warriors of the Dothrakis, Unsullied and the North didn't.

It just doesn't make any fucking sense, the writers are just incredibly lazy and incompetent, saying otherwise is just being obtuse or a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.

Jon Neu

Banned

If you want to talk about any other thing, you can start by talking about any other thing and see how that goes.

You coming here and wanting to shut up people because you are personally annoyed about what people are saying, is hardly a motive that would make me or anybody else to stop talking.

Just saiyan.

RedVIper

Banned
Tyrone already explained that they need to bring a live zombies to Kings Landing as evidence?

Why is it making zero sense to you? Becauses it actually make sense to me

They had to fast travel and skip all the traveling part because of limited episode or budget i guess?

But werent you guys complain the oposite about Arya and The Hound adventure too? Or Danny adventure in Essos?

That its wasting time and should skip all that? That upcoming Game of Thrones episode should not waste so many time on the travelling/journey part?Seems like nobody is gona be happy here no matter what

Tyrion "explained" it, doesn't mean it wasn't a retarded plan.

Who the fuck complained about Arya and The hound traveling together? I'm pretty sure it's a fan favorite.

Danny in essos was just boring, the show didn't want to write the dorne plot so danny just ended up going around waiting for everybody in westeros to be ready for her.

Jon Neu

Banned
By the way, D&D appeared on Kimmel, and just by their "answers" to his questions, I think Bran is possibly going to be the final villain.

Kadayi

Banned
Sorry man, but thats just plain stupid. No, the results wouldn't be the same, because all that happens before the end result is what separates good writing from bad writing. Yeah, if you need to make the Dothraki die because the narrative demands it, that’s why it’s so important to write it in a believable, cohesive and satisfying way.

Just because you don't understand what's being said doesn't make it stupid . There are particular emotive beats that the episode is built upon, that have payoffs for all of the characters within the battle as it progresses. Initially, everyone is pensive because they know the enemy is coming and it's night time which puts them at a natural disadvantage. Cue Melisandre arriving and using her magical power to alight all of the Dothraki swords. Suddenly everyone's feeling pumped up like this: -

The Dothraki do what they are known for and basically charge, and then the awful reality kicks in for everyone when they watch them all get absorbed by the dark. Suddenly seeing her shock troops basically snuffed out in minutes is what causes Dany to deviate from the plan of waiting for the Night King to reveal himself and she pulls a Jon ala Battle of the bastards. Albeit Dany (and Jon) cause a lot of damage to the Night Kings forces, the whole point of the Battle was to wait and try and isolate and neutralise kill the Night King himself, because they know that was the only real way to win.

The Night King was smart. He had overwhelming numbers so he could afford to sustain tremendous losses enough to eventually force his way into Winterfell and not expose either himself or his White Walkers (who he deliberately kept back) to any danger because he knew from the battle at Hardholme that the living had Dragonglass and Valerian steel at their disposal. It's why later when Jon is chasing after him that he raises the fallen. I dare say the Night King could have fought Jon Snow and perhaps prevailed, but why run the risk when his minions could deal with the problem instead?

The whole nature of the episode is built around this emotive ebb and flow and how that drives the characters in terms of their response to the turn of events. With Arya for instance, she's super confident and cocksure fighting on the battlements until she's injured and it's only when Melisandre encounters her in the Castle interior that she regains it and understands the nature of her actual true mission. Without that moment of fragility and then clarity, she'd have probably battled vaingloriously like Brienne and Jamie on the battlements or in the Courtyard against the wights, when the real battle to be fought and won was in the Godswood.

I think it's all very well to get caught up in what ifs, but there's an abject failure in doing so to understand the intent and purpose to matters. Like it or not, a considerable number of people spent a great deal of time working out the particular beats to this episode, and even if at times the actual execution by the director might have been lacking, the intent wasn't.

That's why GRRM spends so much time writing, because he wants to do it right, he wants things to make sense and be realistic inside their own world, not just write some Hollywood shit and make his characters do random incoherent stuff just because.

Please, GRRM is a notorious procrastinator. Quit with the poor George spiel, it got really wearing a good few years back. That fat cunt is probably never finishing the series because he pissed away the 6-year lead he had on the series doing anything and everything to get himself out of that home office of his. Every year a public Mea Culpa, and the faithful declare him 'Not Their Bitch' yet, his calendar quickly fills up with innumerable engagements that take him away from his office so he can have his ego stroked by the fandom both (new and old), or spend his precious writing time pissing it away on side-car projects like The History of Westeros to line the pockets of the gruesome twosome at Westeros.org who are riding his money banana for all they can before he eventually croaks. Tolkein at least had the good sense to finish LoTR before embarking on the Silmarillion. The real kicker is, GRRM hates fanfic and probably won't deign to let anyone else round out the book series out if he does pass before they're concluded. :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So I just watched EP3, finally. LOL I totally called it:
I also fear that the Night King's gonna get dispatched early and the rest of the season will be about anyone Vs. Cersei. Hope that isn't the case.
Welp, that's that threat done with.

Man, the episode was cool but that plot armor was thicc, son. Sam survived? Jamie I guess did too, same for Brienne. We see all of these characters being utterly overrun, Jamie's literally being held up by the undead at one point and having the shit beat out of him. It really is funny at some points, the undead are numerous and unyielding but at points they're suddenly really slow and going in one at a time. Their aggression and numbers just drops a notch right at certain points when it's convenient for some characters to survive.

Yesh, Truly a spectacle but that deflate at the end.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Man, the episode was cool but that plot armor was thicc, son. Sam survived? Jamie I guess did too, same for Brienne. We see all of these characters being utterly overrun, Jamie's literally being held up by the undead at one point and having the shit beat out of him. It really is funny at some points, the undead are numerous and unyielding but at points they're suddenly really slow and going in one at a time. Their aggression and numbers just drops a notch right at certain points when it's convenient for some characters to survive.

I'm still praying for a twist where it turns out Bran is actually the big bad that's manipulating everyone.

Ulysses 31

No word on charging into darkness towards an enemy you don't see, trebuchets in front of troops, under using dragons, fighting outside of castle walls, etc? >.>

MMaRsu

Banned
Have something worthwhile to add or leave the thread. Whining metacommentary is not worthwhile.
expand...
It's not my "opinion"

Yes it is isnt it? Me and millions of others thoroughly enjoyed S7. Sorry not everyone is as nitpicky as you.

Geki-D

Banned
No word on charging into darkness towards an enemy you don't see, trebuchets in front of troops, under using dragons, fighting outside of castle walls, etc? >.>
Yeah, there's this whole air of utter nonsense around the episode. Barely any decision made during this battle makes any sense from both sides. I guess the Night King at least can be a bit forgiven because his forces were enough to technically win the battle so sending the undead who are totally expendable till your enemy is defeated is a valid tactic. Though why he was so insistent on killing Bran himself is just silly and could only lead to unneeded risk.

The humans however, nothing they do is logical yet they scrape on through thanks to plot armor and cutaways that rewrite the timeline when we cut back to them.

But really the true crime is the waste of the WW. It feels like the whole point of the TV series is dead, swept away at the first battle, the first real encounter. I haven't read the books but could this really be how this was meant to go down? I can't imagine anyone doing this to a story they created and love. This is Snoke all over again, a character killed off by a writer/director that didn't care about the franchise. Someone who cares can't do this.

Starfield

Who else thinks that whatever war we're going to get Episode 5 is going to shock alot of people and make the war of Winterfell look like a small fight.

RedVIper

Banned
expand...
It's not my "opinion"

Yes it is isnt it? Me and millions of others thoroughly enjoyed S7. Sorry not everyone is as nitpicky as you.

I never said you can't enjoy S7, I said that there are things fudamently wrong with it that are not subject of "opinion", you can obviously enjoy something despite being flawed.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Tyrion "explained" it, doesn't mean it wasn't a retarded plan.

Who the fuck complained about Arya and The hound traveling together? I'm pretty sure it's a fan favorite.

Danny in essos was just boring, the show didn't want to write the dorne plot so danny just ended up going around waiting for everybody in westeros to be ready for her.

How is it a retarded plan?

The only reasonable plan was to bring a white walker to kings landing as evidence otherwise nobodys there gona believe it

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
How is it a retarded plan?

The only reasonable plan was to bring a white walker to kings landing as evidence otherwise nobodys there gona believe it

Well for starter it was a suicide mission.
Second, just because Cersei believes in it doesn't mean she was ever going to help, why would she help a group of people that wants to fucking kill her?
Turns out she was right too, they defeated the WW and lost a big part of their army, they didn't need her help.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

You only said this because you already seen the outcome of the batle

You still havent provide us any alternatives options on how to convinced/make anyone in the kings landing council to believe wether the white walker threat exist or not

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
You only said this because you already seen the outcome of the batle

You still dont give us any alternatives options on how to convinced/make anyone in the kings landing council to believe wether the white walker threat exist or not

Don't try to convince Cersei at all, tyrion should know she was never going to help, if he hadn't been dumbed down anyway, again, why would she?
If they thought they needed more soldiers hiring mercenaries in Essos would probably be more productive. Hell isn't Dany still suposedly still in control of a few cities there? Go and raise soldiers.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Don't try to convince Cersei at all, tyrion should know she was never going to help, if he hadn't been dumbed down anyway, again, why would she?
If they thought they needed more soldiers hiring mercenaries in Essos would probably be more productive. Hell isn't Dany still suposedly still in control of a few cities there? Go and raise soldiers.

This is where you re getting it wrong

Cersei actually intend/give options to help but Jon refused to declare allegiance to her that makes her upset

Go rewatch S7E7 again

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
This is where you re getting it wrong

Cersei actually intend/give options to help but Jon refused to declare allegiance to her that makes her upset

Go rewatch S7E7 again

Lol, you think cersei was ever going to help just because Jon said he would sit the war out?
She was obviously scheming, trying to drive danny and jon apart.
She had already agreed with Euron for him to go hire the golden company so she had already decided she was going to fight, not collaborate.

Again, why would she help? She either helps, and gets killed after by dany, or she doesn't and takes a shot at whoever survives. I know what I'd do.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lol, you think cersei was ever going to help just because Jon said he would sit the war out?
She was obviously scheming, trying to drive danny and jon apart.
She had already agreed with Euron for him to go hire the golden company so she had already decided she was going to fight, not collaborate.

Again, why would she help? She either helps, and gets killed after by dany, or she doesn't and takes a shot at whoever survives. I know what I'd do.

Yes she will

Jon at that point is the warden of the north..if she had jon i think she will settle down...

at this point youre just arguing about what-if scenario...

Before its getting too complicated here my advice for you is just enjoy the show for what it is for better or worse

For what is dead may never die and what has been done cant be undone

If you disagree with how the movie and the book ends just treat it as two seperate path/alternate universe

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
uh excuse me gaf, that pronoun has various meanings in my native tongue

it is the prince or princess who is promised

ahem

nani

ZehDon

Who else thinks that whatever war we're going to get Episode 5 is going to shock alot of people and make the war of Winterfell look like a small fight.
While I'd love for you to be right, I'm going to get a little meta here to discount that theory. HBO, D&D, the cast, and all of the marketing, have made it clear that episode 3 was the biggest battle in TV history. They were trumpeting that fact, highlighting how long it took to film it, and tried their hardest to drum up comparison's to the Battle of Helm's Deep from The Two Towers, long before the episodes were actually airing. If they had more, they'd have already talked about it, to hype up their final season even more. They were so very proud of their battle episode, just shying away from calling it the best battle ever filmed. For all the time and effort they put into making it, it failed a fundamental story level, and is now regarded as their worst battle episode, and is trending towards the worst received episode of the entire show. If they had another big battle, they'd be offering hints of it as an olive branch to stem the negative press. This is their final season, and the fans are borderline hostile. Episode 5 may be a big episode, but it'll be a big reveal, not a big battle. And D&D will botch it worse than they botched the Night King, the White Walkers, and the Battle of Winterfell.

Achelexus

The quality has definitely dropped after Season 4, it's weird that anyone even denies this.

Pagusas

Elden Member
One of the stranger things I've noticed is everyone in my real life (coworkers, wife, friends, contractors) seems to have enjoyed the episode, but everyone online seems to have hated it. Its very weird how polar opposite the opinions are.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
One of the stranger things I've noticed is everyone in my real life (coworkers, wife, friends, contractors) seems to have enjoyed the episode, but everyone online seems to have hated it. Its very weird how polar opposite the opinions are.

People who would bother to post online about it are probably a lot more invested in the show.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The quality has definitely dropped after Season 4, it's weird that anyone even denies this.

Nobody tried to deny this

We already know what to expect ever since weis beniof had to made the rest of the story ever since it took grrm forever to finish his own book

the constant barrage of whining and moaning despite what we should ve expect is the anoying part

Last edited:
Top Bottom