• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

dorkimoe

I loved it and seeing some of the nitpicking people are doing is making me embarrassed as a fan. Some people need to not hang on every single thing. The directing in the episode was fantastic, the final scenes showing all the Starks was so good.
Peoples stories came to an end, it was a super depressing end for Jon, its like all of a sudden people wanted a happy ending. And as far as pacing goes, we dont need lord of the rings style pacing where they show every single traveling scenario. Had Drogon not taken Dannys body, we would have had a 30 minute funeral scene.

dorkimoe

Just in case you're being serious, explain to me: why didn't the unsullied and the dothraki avenge her Christ-like queen?
The unsullied didnt do anything unless the Queen told them to. No queen was there. For 5 seasons they were told how they were going to live this new life with a ruler, well now they have to follow the new rules of the land. They werent savages anymore.

It was honestly decent, nothing more nor short of what i was expecting from the ending after a super mediocre season

Couple of moments that made me shade my head super hard tho

Anyway, i can finally start reading the books, super curious tbh
Currently on book one on audible, I find listening to audio books much easier for me. So far I'm enjoying it. Season 1 of the show is almost identical to the books with some changes to dialog and scenes.

vpance

I think it would've been more impactful if there was a final fight between Dany and Jon, with Dany revealing hidden stage 2 powers after getting stabbed. That would've been sick.

The unsullied didnt do anything unless the Queen told them to. No queen was there. For 5 seasons they were told how they were going to live this new life with a ruler, well now they have to follow the new rules of the land. They werent savages anymore.

Bullshit. I'm not saying that they should have gone to war on everyone else, but not even killing Jon Snow as he's found moping around the presumed dead body of their liberator? That's just not human behavior.

I loved it and seeing some of the nitpicking people are doing is making me embarrassed as a fan. Some people need to not hang on every single thing. The directing in the episode was fantastic, the final scenes showing all the Starks was so good.
Peoples stories came to an end, it was a super depressing end for Jon, its like all of a sudden people wanted a happy ending. And as far as pacing goes, we dont need lord of the rings style pacing where they show every single traveling scenario. Had Drogon not taken Dannys body, we would have had a 30 minute funeral scene.
Not sure what nitpicking's you're talking about but I wouldn't feel embarrassed. People have their own taste and opinions and a 30 min funeral scene for a very important character wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean she just died and that was that, I would have like to have seen more dialog while she was dying but hey that's just me.

Stuckmann’s Review and he talks about the experience of someone binging the show in a few weeks recently vs someone who was watching Day One waiting week to week, season to season, also gets into white walkers/Night King feeling like afterthoughts

Last edited:

Xenon

The whole ending was small to me with most of it being a prologue. I don't have a problem with how it ended, just how they got there. We needed more justification for Daenerys turn. Instead they give us Tyrion digging out his brother and sister under a single layer of rocks. Having us go through them checking off all the main characters stories so methodically by having most in the same room just felt small to me. One trivially thing that normally I don't really care about that bugged me were the costumes. So did the ladies of GoT join the X men in the end? Finally it just seemed like the entire world was surrounding the Starks which is in contrast the rest of the series. Fanfiction indeed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stuckmann’s Review and he talks about the experience of someone binging the show in a few weeks recently vs someone who was watching Day One waiting week to week, season to season, also gets into white walkers/Night King feeling like afterthoughts

I was just about to post that lol. I like seeing how movie reviewers analyze TV shows. Put Stuckmann in as another one who thinks Dany's mad queen actions didn't feel like there was a logical cause behind it.

Javthusiast

Banned
So what was so bittersweet about the ending?

Every villain got what they deserved, including crazy hitler Danny. And characters like dumbass Jaime got what he deserved for his character development being thrown out last minute.

Every other character got a total happy ending pretty much. This was way more fairy tale ending than I ever imagined GoT to have. It wasn't completely terrible just really meh.

JimiNutz

Banned
So what was so bittersweet about the ending?

Every villain got what they deserved, including crazy hitler Danny. And characters like dumbass Jaime got what he deserved for his character development being thrown out last minute.

Every other character got a total happy ending pretty much. This was way more fairy tale ending than I ever imagined GoT to have. It wasn't completely terrible just really meh.

I thought this as well.
I kept on waiting for some kind of twist to spice up the ending a bit and make it bittersweet but there was nothing.

I assume the bittersweet part was that Jon had to kill his Auntie/lover?
That Snow dick is a curse. The two women that went there both end up dead.

LordOfChaos

Ending episode was pretty ok, compared to the rest of the season. They just needed a longer time getting there and fleshing everything out. Worst part is HBO was ready for 10 more episodes and Martin wanted more, but D&D thought they could finish it in 6, rather than hand off another season to other writers.

If season 8 was all about fleshing out and resolving the Night King and season 9 was Cersei and Dany slowly going mad, this landing would have stuck better.

The whole ending was small to me with most of it being a prologue. I don't have a problem with how it ended, just how they got there. We needed more justification for Daenerys turn. Instead they give us Tyrion digging out his brother and sister under a single layer of rocks. Having us go through them checking off all the main characters stories so methodically by having most in the same room just felt small to me. One trivially thing that normally I don't really care about that bugged me were the costumes. So did the ladies of GoT join the X men in the end? Finally it just seemed like the entire world was surrounding the Starks which is in contrast the rest of the series. Fanfiction indeed.

At this point, it would have been better if it was revealed that Bran warged into Dany, making her burn King's Landing to the ground. We never got to see her face during that whole sequence.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I loved it and seeing some of the nitpicking people are doing is making me embarrassed as a fan.

Worm: We will decide what we do with our prisoners. Jon is our prisoner, we will decide what we do with our prisoners. This is our city

Great direction from their dead queen there.

Sansa: I have thousands of men, don't hurt Jon
Worm: I have thousands of men too, who cares, we need justice for our dead queen, also Tyrion stop talking you are our prisoner
Tyrion: Yeah sure just let me monologue for a minute and convince these people who the new king should be, oh and then immediately confess that I was wrong about being wise and knowing what was best
Worm: Ok I'll stand here and take all that but it's not enough, we must punish Jon
Everyone: Cool send him to the Night's Watch to protect the realm against the enemies you just defeated, with no way of knowing that he's actually going to go there or even leave in the first place after you sail away
Worm: Yes ok Grey Worm will accept this and we will sail away now
Dothraki: Looks like we're getting on boats too I think, everyone kinda just forgot about us

What you call "nitpicks", we call "hilariously badly writing your way out of a dead end". "Nitpick" is a great go-to word when don't actually understand why people think the thing you like is shit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I assume the bittersweet part was that Jon had to kill his Auntie/lover?
I guess? lol
I kept on waiting for some kind of twist to spice up the ending a bit and make it bittersweet but there was nothing.
When Bran said "Why do you think I came all this way"? I interpreted it to have some darker undertones, in that he was secretly playing the game and willingly made moves to sow conflict between Jon and Dany, and that he knew this would lead to thousands of deaths in King's Landing but didn't give a fuck.

But actually nothing really happens. Ugh.

It would have been cool if:

Jon kills Dany with Longclaw.

There's a scene where the red priests and priestesses are discussing the events that just transpired and debating about how the prophecy never came true.

Jon and Tormund reunite at The Wall and head out north with their new orphanage.

Cut back to the red priests talking about how Lightbringer never came to be.

Jon and Tormund continue on and Jon comments about how unusual it is that he wasn't able to clean his sword because Dany's blood stained the blade and would not come off.

Camera pans to reveal that they are actually walking through an area that is littered with spiral symbols of the White Walkers, and Jon's sword starts to glow.

HarryKS

It is very, very evident that they were making stuff up as they ran out source materials and that the stuff they made up was clearly inferior to the source material.

Kadayi

Banned
It is very, very evident that they were making stuff up as they ran out source materials and that the stuff they made up was clearly inferior to the source material.

They were working off the detailed plot outline GRRM gave then a few seasons back. He even said the show ends in a similar way to how the books do.

Pejo

King Bran the Broken was a huge asspull and the least satisfying ending I can think of. I mean with the melting of the iron throne, why couldn't each of the 7 kingdoms just govern their damn selves. I mean didn't anyone else expect that to be what the melted throne was leading to?

The best parts of the whole episode was Jon petting Ghost and Dany touching the throne, but never once sitting on it before she died.

Man, the Starks came out way better than you'd have expected way back in the early seasons.

Malakhov

Banned
I feel bad for everyone here who wasn’t consulted for seasons 7 and 8. I feel that D&D missed a huge opportunity coalescing the fanfic from Neogaf into the show.

Yeah, all of these unemployed professional writers on forums and social media, such a waste

JimiNutz

Banned
I guess? lol

When Bran said "Why do you think I came all this way"? I interpreted it to have some darker undertones, in that he was secretly playing the game and willingly made moves to sow conflict between Jon and Dany, and that he knew this would lead to thousands of deaths in King's Landing but didn't give a fuck.

But actually nothing really happens. Ugh.

It would have been cool if:

Jon kills Dany with Longclaw.

There's a scene where the red priests and priestesses are discussing the events that just transpired and debating about how the prophecy never came true.

Jon and Tormund reunite at The Wall and head out north with their new orphanage.

Cut back to the red priests talking about how Lightbringer never came to be.

Jon and Tormund continue on and Jon comments about how unusual it is that he wasn't able to clean his sword because Dany's blood stained the blade and would not come off.

Camera pans to reveal that they are actually walking through an area that is littered with spiral symbols of the White Walkers, and Jon's sword starts to glow.

I thought exactly the same thing.
I kept on waiting for Bran to actually do something and when he said that I was thinking "here we go! He's not just sitting there for no reason, shits about to go down!"

Nope.

Wrong! Anyone notice the subtle call back to the Truman Show :pie_eyeroll: This show is so deep

Tjr5Z6.gif

There was no escape for Jamie and Cersei

Kadayi

Banned
And they made up everything in between, which is way those plot points feel forced.

I'm operating off of what both D&D and GRRM have collectively said, whereas it seems your operating off some fanfic in your head that you were actually in the writer's room. 🤔

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Also, what happened to the apparently alive Dothraki that are now in Westeros? I didn't see them leaving with the Unsullied, and why would they.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im curious with

What will happened with him in Mereen? Hes still in charge? Since Danny is dead now what is he going to do there? He will rule the city by himself?

Last edited:

Pejo

So I know there's probably ways to explain it away, but how the hell did anyone know that Jon killed Dany anyways? Wouldn't it have been easy for him to say the dragon came in and burned her on the throne and flew away? I mean nobody else was there.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So I know there's probably ways to explain it away, but how the hell did anyone know that Jon killed Dany anyways? Wouldn't it have been easy for him to say the dragon came in and burned her on the throne and flew away? I mean nobody else was there.

Uh..cmon dude youve been watching this show for how long? 8 seasons ?

You know Jon right..hes the kid who always tell your teacher if he caught you cheating at class...

Dude never lies his entire life...

Last edited:

GermanZepp

The end was fine. I really liked the way they showed Jaime Lannister holding Cercei. He truly loved his sister very sad moment.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think what makes it worse is that you have people who don't normally say anything about entertainment, come out and say it was crap. No one I know cares that a good game got a 6/10 from GameSpot. GoT Season 8 on the other hand.. different story.
Dragons are apparently intelligent creatures in other mythos. Maybe his fire blast was suppose to mean something. "Jon smells like a good guy, the throne did it".

Absolute fantastic ending, I kinda predicted most of it already as the writing was on the wall. Bran being the king made absolutely sense dude is perfect for it. Arya going on exploration, snow rejoined with his dog and going to the absolute north was already forcasted and predictable, sansa the queen of the north, absolutely fantastic.

Also dany was well done, she became power hungry and completely wonky, i liked the tension it created between characters. I liked how bran also mentioned that he will track the dragon to see what happens.

The writing in the book, the new rulers the way they rule the new kingdoms now is also absolutely fantastic.

All and all very very well done.

I can't be the Lord of Winterfell. I live in the past now.

Oh, KING? Sure, why not.

Well done.

BlueAlpaca

Fucking garbage. I had low expectations but the episode went even lower. That finale was cringe worthy. It's like fan fiction written by a 12 year old. Fuck D&D and the entire entertainment industry. The fact that these two are this successful and are lining up projects like Star Wars is why Hollywood needs to fucking burn. And fuck GRRM most of all. Selling the rights after only four books and to these hacks, I hope you're happy now. Those two defiled your books and you fucking deserve it. Fat cunt.

There's nothing more cringe-worthy than reading a person's take on how an episode should have been written. Just criticize the writing but please I don't want to read your fanfiction. We already got fucked by D&D this season, so we don't need anymore fanfiction from anyone else.

I'll be waiting for the books written by George R.R. Martin. Until then, peace out.
This is oddly antagonistic. No I'm not gonna change for you.

Xenon

At this point, it would have been better if it was revealed that Bran warged into Dany, making her burn King's Landing to the ground. We never got to see her face during that whole sequence.

His character was such a waste. Ultimately he was just bait.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Fucking garbage. I had low expectations but the episode went even lower. That finale was cringe worthy. It's like fan fiction written by a 12 year old. Fuck D&D and the entire entertainment industry. The fact that these two are this successful and are lining up projects like Star Wars is why Hollywood needs to fucking burn. And fuck GRRM most of all. Selling the rights after only four books and to these hacks, I hope you're happy now. Those two defiled your books and you fucking deserve it. Fat cunt.

You ok?

Kadayi

Banned
Interesting interview with Emilia Clarke On the conclusion at The New Yorker

Also, a neat article from The Ringer looking into the outcomes and how probable they are to tie in with the books thematically : -

Last edited:

bigedole

So I think it's well documented in this topic how disappointed I was with episodes 3 through 5. I've been spoiled on the ending for over a week now, and I think I had just made it through the full cycle of grief, because I actually managed to enjoy last night's episode. Somehow not having to try and rationalize the idiotic plot points as they were happening let me just sit back and enjoy a goodbye to the show. So, goodbye GOT. I hope in 15 years when the last 2 books are out, someone pays for a FMA:B style remake that fixes the last half of your run.

Top Bottom