• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Then why has everything I've read say that the emulator doesn't support arbitrary resolutions?
I remember reading a fairly detailed post on how it's impossible to just upscale a game in that emulator and that things had to be done on a per game basis.

If it's just as simple as setting rendering resolution = 1920x1080 in a text file that would invalidate the entire thing.

Rules.txt for Xenoblade X at 4k:

Code:
[Definition]
titleIds = 00050000101c4c00,00050000101C4D00
name = "Xenoblade Chronicles - 2160p (4K)"

[TextureRedefine]
width = 1280
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

You can set the overwrite resolution to whatever you want.

Buggy Loop

Inadequate fan? Could be...

Though it might be fine. You'd be surprised how hot PS4 gets normally, but you wouldn't notice because you don't touch it, whereas you might with Switch.

IGN didn't say "disturbingly hot", this is just exagerated.

But it's probably mobile device hot, as in an ipad or iphone or even a laptop hot when they run games. And it was when docked.

God damn, I was planning on putting the dock in my cabinet with a glass door. Guess this means I have to find somewhere open to put it.

They did not say it was disturbingly hot. It got pretty warm in tv mode after like 7 hours of solid play, but not "too hot to hold".

bomblord1

Banned
Rules.txt for Xenoblade X at 4k:

Code:
[Definition]
titleIds = 00050000101c4c00,00050000101C4D00
name = "Xenoblade Chronicles - 2160p (4K)"

[TextureRedefine]
width = 1280
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 3840
overwriteHeight = 2160

You can set the overwrite resolution to whatever you want.

Alright thanks.

Chumley

Banned
They did not say it was disturbingly hot. It got pretty warm in handheld mode after like 7 hours of solid play, but not "too hot to hold".

Gotcha, I was thinking it makes the systems fans go insane like my PS4 Pro does playing TLG in an enclosed space.

Why stop at PS4?

PC+ would make a monster looking Zelda game

Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they put their games on other platforms. I'm spending hundreds of dollars just to play Zelda and Mario this year.

bachikarn

Why stop at PS4?

PC+ would make a monster looking Zelda game

Don't disagree but my comment was mainly for the Nintendo appologist that says the extra power doesn't matter for Nintendo games.

Nintendo developers could always find ways to use extra power.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Jose definitely didn't say it was "disturbingly" hot on NVC. He said it was hot but not like you couldn't touch it.

Exaggeration much.

If thats from their roundtable podcast thing. They did not say "disturbingly" they said it got hot but not to the point you couldn't touch it or anything.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize the "disturbingly" part was added by the poster.

Donnie

Yeah I'm sure it's nothing to do with hardware limitations.

Fact is if they'd sacrificed more visually to improve framerates people would be complaining that "It looks so much worse than Switch version, this is how Nintendo thanks WiiU owners".

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
IGN didn't say "disturbingly hot", this is just exagerated.

But it's probably mobile device hot, as in an ipad or iphone or even a laptop hot when they run games. And it was when docked.

Given it's hot enough where it needs active cooling, I'm inclined to it getting near laptop hot.

Nintendo twisting the knife on WiiU adopters

...Not really. Check the footage.

Calm Mind

Not really.

Not really.

why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg

Intel_89

It looks pretty good, it worries me a lot more that a new system like the Switch struggles to keep the game running at a steady framerate (despite being 900p).

KarmaCow

Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death")
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu

Well god damn it. Guess I'll need to take more breaks with Zelda because low, variable framerates gives me headache.

AmyS

I hope people don't think Digital Foundry is going to go EASIER on Zelda than Gamekult...

I don't think that, so I agree with you.

I'm just confident that Digital Foundry will do a comprehensive, clearly-understood technical analysis of Zelda on Switch and Wii U, with no translation misunderstandings.

I don't think that, so I agree with you.

I'm just confident that Digital Foundry will do a comprehensive, clearly-understood technical analysis of Zelda on Switch and Wii U, with no translation misunderstandings.
Yep yep.
They'll probably rip BOTH versions to shreds.
I won't be watching though.

Vic_Viper

That 15 minute video didnt look all that bad accept for some dips in frames randomly. But it looks like this guy is running a pirated version from the looks of the description?

It looks pretty good, it worries me a lot more that a new system like the Switch struggles to keep the game running at a steady framerate (despite being 900p).

It doesnt seem like either version though will have that great of performance lol. Both versions have reports of framerate dips so its not like theres a huge difference between the 2. This isnt at all comparable to a PS3 to PS4 multiplatform title imo.

He says that the Wii U Version runs worse dude. You didn't understand what he said lol

Switch version runs fine if you leave the plateau, Wii U version has problems.

Id wait for atleast another report on it before believing what this 1 guy says.

Thread lock in coming lol

I hope people don't think Digital Foundry is going to go EASIER on Zelda than Gamekult...

My concern with this is that Digital Foundry has been remarkably positive when discussing the game up until now. Honest, but not as dire as the Gamekult commentary.

I fully expect it to run like butts at this point. That said, it's a stunningly beautiful game running on a handheld, so that's cool.

Wellll it's pretty much Wii U or not any time soon for me. I'll wait for a proper analysis before deciding either way. It looked pretty manageable from the stream earlier, so not feeling overly doomy about it right now.

MrDaravon

I'm waiting on a DF comparison and/or for the game to actually be out to get some sort of final word on this. I'm not getting a Switch anytime remotely soon, but if the Wii U version is a noticeable hit over the Switch version I'll just wait to get the game until way later I guess ._.

kiaaa

This is why I can't justify buying Nintendo consoles anymore. BotW is their biggest release in years and it looks so rough. Hopefully release/post-patch is a big improvement.

A quick comparison. Captures from Youtube videos (the leaked first 15 minute video from this thread and the GameXplain handheld / docked framerate comparison video) -

Wii U -

Switch (docked) -

Difficult to get exact like for like shots. I'll do more if people want them.

Looks like different lighting. Is that the case or is it because of timing differences / because you're looking at the sky in the Switch version? Also, seeing both, is there much less shimmering in the Switch version? I feel that's probably the worst effect I saw in the Wii U video but am trying to avoid seeing as much content as possible.

[edit] Nevermind, for some reason I thought you actually had access to the games yourself instead of just seeing video. But can you or anyone who's seen much video of both answer those?

duckroll

Wow this is very very disappointing to hear. It was designed first and foremost as a WiiU game so parity in performance was at least expected. Looks like Nintendo has learned the final lesson from their competitors - last gen doesn't fucking matter! If you're a loyal fan who won't shell out day one money for the next console, fuck you!

Top Bottom