• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

People are talking out of their ass when they say Wii U owners should be happy this game releases on the system.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Me and others are saying it's a technical marvel that the game runs at all on the ageing Wii U hardware. This is a console with a 176gflop GPU, 1gig of slow memory and a CPU based on an architecture from 1999.

The fact that it looks as good as it does, with the draw distance as massive as it is, the grass tech, with no loading time in the World, with all the physics based properties and still runs at 25+ fps most of the time is incredible.

Breath of the Wild on Wii U is up there with GTA V on PS3/X360 as the most technically impressive console game ever made considering the hardware they are running on imo.

TacoBurgos

Neo Member
not if it's the inferior version.

I feel the same way, but if botw is going to be THAT zelda game, I want the better version.
that doesn't even matter anyway, just look for example Resident evil 2 on n64, is the inferior versión by far, and is a really expensive item, also with cemu the wiiu version is gonna be the best version.

RPGCrazied

I think I'm more annoyed at the fact the gamepad gets 0 functionality. That is lame, all this time, they could at least put the map down there?

I get the impression some folks here really want the Wii U version to suck to help justify their day one Switch purchase.

I don't know there seems to be more comments trying to justify not buying a Switch and settling with the Wii U version (which is fine).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't know who expected parity between versions... I mean, the Switch version is an enhanced port made to take advantage of stronger hardware and has a $300 entry point. Why wouldn't it be better? It's similar to buying a higher end graphics card for your PC.

I highly doubt the Wii U version was "gimped." If anything, development switched to the Switch (ha) and the game was finished with the new hardware in mind. The Wii U version is the last gen version, so it's going to have some hiccups here and there. The GTAV comparison seems like a good one, since that went through a similar process of being retrofitted to run better on newer hardware. More so than Twilight Princess' switch to the Wii - the Gamecube and the Wii weren't as different as the Wii U and the Switch seem to be.

I say this as someone getting the Wii U version.

renzolama

Breath of the Wild on Wii U is up there with GTA V on PS3/X360 as the most technically impressive console game ever made considering the hardware they are running on imo.

No, it really isn't. It's probably an amazing game and a magical experience, but based on what I've seen from the Wii U version Nintendo does not deserve any accolades for technical excellence here. It very much looks/feels like something they stopped optimizing a year ago when they decided that BotW was going to be the primary Switch console seller.

Edit: But hey, that's just, like, my opinion man. I'll await more technically precise comparisons in the coming weeks, they're certain to be interesting.

NewGame

Banned
I was just watching some WiiU footage, there was some drops to about 10-15 FPS inside a town, felt bad. General exploring and walking around Hyrule doesn't seem to do much, you do get an occasional slow period if a lot of things start happening.

Unsure how the slowdown feels as you play though, if it desyncs your inputs I will be pretty mad. Ocarina and Majora both had slowdown and it didn't kill my dog or parents so I could deal with it, I just hope Breath is gorgeous to play to overwhelm any technical gripes.

Still getting it on WiiU, I will consider it a dummy run until I get a wizzbang new sega switch or whatever it's called.

Does Nintendo ever do patches for performance/technical issues? I can't think of one.

Mario Kart 8 has a weird stutter where it would only play back 59fps. I think it was patched out? haven't looked...

AmyS

The WiiU version will be a huge collectors item down the road. Like TP on GameCube.

I'll buy anyway.

Yes indeed, my thoughts exactly.

Quick question, I have the 8GB Wii U, but as long as I make sure I have ~4 GB free space, I should be okay, as there's meant to be a 3 GB mandatory install right?

The thing that disturbs me the most is Nintendo restructured the whole game to NOT use the gamepad. Is pretty clear that this Zelda was meant to be played with the inventory on the gamepad, but they remove it to be only useful for off TV play. For Nintendo it seems only the Switch version matters and the Wii U one shouldn't be better on any point.

Have a link?

Here, still live. Spoiler just in case.

Tyaren

The WiiU version will be a huge collectors item down the road. Like TP on GameCube.

Just that the Gamecube version of TP was actually the superior version. It was the unmirrored original, it had the more responsive controls on a regular controller and it was graphically 100% identical to the Wii version.

This time Nintendo made absolutely sure the definitive version is the one on the new, shiny hardware...

Zornack

The thing that disturbs me the most is Nintendo restructured the whole game to NOT use the gamepad. Is pretty clear that this Zelda was meant to be played with the inventory on the gamepad, but they remove it to be only useful for off TV play. For Nintendo it seems only the Switch version matters and the Wii U one shouldn't be better on any point.

It really is absurd that the updates to TTP and WW have gamepad functionality while BotW, which was supposedly solely a Wii U game until Spring of last year, has none.

duckroll

Just that the Gamecube version of TP was actually the superior version. It was the unmirrored original, it had the more responsive controls on a regular controller and it was graphically 100% identical to the Wii version.

This time Nintendo made absolutely sure the definitive version is the one on the new, shiny hardware...

Rarity and value has no real relation to the quality of a game/port: http://www.ebay.com/p/Castlevania-Dracula-X-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1995/4226

Jarmel

Banned
I'm watching the stream and an older stream from earlier today and the framerate looks fine once you get past the opening segment. It seems like the framerate is garbage in both the Switch and Wii U on the plateau area but drastically improves past that point.

Question looks to be how much do you value that resolution bump.

Astral Dog

The "hahaha fuck you, now go buy our new console" edition. Was this really ever a WiiU game?
Yes.
What a strange attitude some have with this game

This is not a PS3 to PS4 difference guys.
Both versions will be closer than you think (with more advantages on the Switch of course)

Derkon

Here, still live. Spoiler just in case.

I'm watching this guy run through the game while it's raining and seriously don't see much in the way of frame drops? Like not exaggerating or anything, it looks fine.

Think this whole thing might be blown a bit out of proportion.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'm watching this guy run through the game while it's raining and seriously don't see much in the way of frame drops? Like not exaggerating or anything, it looks fine.

And it is out of proportion and I get attacked saying it's fine... 😑 I'm done for the night. Still at work right now

Parapraxis

Yeah, it looks fine, I will suffer through with the WiiU version! lol

Yeah. Bloodborne is worse I think.

renzolama

It's not any more manipulative than many of Nintendo's business maneuvers over the past half-decade or so, but boy is it less subtle. The
blinking message that runs on the Wii U gamepad the entire time is a constant reminder of how absurd it is that nothing of any gameplay value is being shown on it, even while you're regularly opening up your "tablet" interface in-game

Edit: Added spoiler tags, who knows what people consider spoilers at this point

I watched now a combat scene with fire projectiles and more stuff and the framerate drops to like 10-20 fps. But, still, seems not that bad in 99% of the game.

Branduil

It really is absurd that the updates to TTP and WW have gamepad functionality while BotW, which was supposedly solely a Wii U game until Spring of last year, has none.
To be fair the way items work in BotW is completely different from previous games.

But yeah they obviously didn't put a map or anything on the gamepad because they want the Switch version to be the best in every way.

Top Bottom