• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult's Game of the Generation votes are underway

Blinck

Dark Souls not winning this is a shame :(
RDR was great, but come on, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were like the re-awakening of gaming this generation

since this is pretty much silly, i would love to see it come down to GTAV vs Red Dead and Uncharted 2 vs The Last of Us.

which i imagine this whole thing is going to end with GTAV vs The Last of Us. Because people always go for the closest things in their minds timeline that was good.

dosh

Dark Souls not winning this is a shame :(
RDR was great, but come on, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were like the re-awakening of gaming this generation

And I really thought Dark Souls was going to crush RDR. I'm a bit surprised. Even if I assumed from the start that this would end with GTAV vs TLOU anyway.

Games that brought unique ideas like minecraft and portal will probably be remembered for much longer than the ones that are winning now. If we look at this bracket 15 years from now our heads will probably spin at the games that won since they'll probably be forgotten by then. (GTA V is an exception since its a long running franchise that will most likely still be relevant in the distant future)

Sanctuary

I am surprised that The Witcher 2 is beating Gears of War. Wonder if GAF had any influence in that.
But Heavy Rain vs Mass Effect? Yeah, like that wasn't a foregone conclusion.

I'm still salty about ME2 beating SMG2 here at GAF. SMG is several tiers above those games.
Mario <3, but SMG is definitely not "tiers above" the ME series at all.

I'm still salty about ME2 beating SMG2 here at GAF. SMG is several tiers above those games.

At least TLOU is still alive. Tomb Raider sticks out like a sore thumb.

I voted for Tomb Raider in the first two rounds only because I cared even less about the games it was competing against

Game of the Generation is only interesting several years after it ends, once the hype train dies down

Yeah. GTAV has a pretty good advantage being the new hot game that it might not have in a year or two.

Also, what the fuck at Tomb Raider beating out Xenoblade!? That's some bullshit.

Sanctuary

Yeah. GTAV has a pretty good advantage being the new hot game that it might not have in a year or two.

Also, what the fuck at Tomb Raider beating out Xenoblade!? That's some bullshit.

Yeah, when I saw that I just chalked it up to it being a well advertised AAA title from a well known developer/publisher on two of the "big" systems compared to a game that only had any real advertising through word of mouth and was on the "garbage" system. Not everyone likes JRPGs either, and the majority seem to like action/adventure.

Mario <3, but SMG is definitely not "tiers above" the ME series at all.

Yes, it easily, easily is. SMG2 has some of the best level design ever seen in a 3D platformer.

Mass Effect has shit gameplay and a godawful story. ME1 Liara is one of the worst written characters I can remember seeing all gen.

Tomb Raider beating Nier and Xenoblade...

why-gif-03.gif

Well deep down I know that both Nier and Xenoblade has too niche audience but still... *cryes*

Mass Effect is winning because in many people's minds, you can't really separate ME1 from the other two.

I'm willing to bet people are thinking the ENTIRE trilogy versus SMG and SMG simply can't counter that.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm willing to bet people are thinking the ENTIRE trilogy versus SMG and SMG simply can't counter that.

You think the Mass Effect trilogy is better than Super Mario Galaxy?

Anyway, the whole thing is a popularity contest and not measuring quality, so I guess getting into arguments over it doesn't make much sense anyway.

Every one of those is a deserved winner apart from Skyrim. Damn shame that it beat Portal 2, but what are you gonna do.
It actually is a pretty good list, if MG had Portal 2 were to win it couldn't get a whole lot better... Shame about Dishonored, but TLOU is my GOTG so I agree.
I actuality think GTA is the worst game on the list, at least IMO.
Hopefully it doesn't beat RDR.

I know Spec Ops isn't a massively loved thing, but it losing to FFXIII is kind of a kick in the gut.

I don't even understand how FFXIII would make it into this entire discussion. It's like people talking about their favorite foods and someone mentioning how they ate mud once when they were a child.

Pryce

The only game that I 100% disagree with there is Skyrim. I didn't like RDR and Mass Effect hasn't aged well, but I'm fine with them.

Voted for Mass Effect, Uncharted 2, RDR and Bioshock.

Top Bottom