• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult's Game of the Generation votes are underway

Here's our final four !

Click here to vote : http://www.gamekult.com/actu/jeu-de-la-gen-place-aux-quarts-A112785.html

jeu-de-la-gen-place-aux-quarts-ME3050193737_1.jpg

RDR vs Skyrim... Damn....

Well I guess that picture pretty much sums up the current gen lol.

Tabby

I'm not going to vote, but I hope GTAV doesn't win.
Surprised BioShock Infinite isn't there to be honest, I remember there being a lot of hype and excitement about it.

This is Rockstar's world

If GTA V wins and RDR wins it is a Rock* vs. Rock* final

Come on Naughty Dog, you can do it!

I dont think Skyrim has a chance against GTA V. GTA V way too fresh in the minds of those what, 12-15 million who bought it?

Would be funny if it was GTA V vs. The Last of Us. Since they will also be fighting it out for GOTY 2013.

falconbox

Banned
Witcher 2 loses to Arkham Asylum? I can maybe see Arkham City, but not AA. Also CoD4 losing to Xenoblade Chronicles and Braid losing to Dishonored were also extremely disappointing to see.

mrmickfran

Bayonetta lost to Dark Souls?

Xenoblade lost to Tomb Raider?

Super Mario Galaxy lost to the first Mass Effect?

Vanquish not even listed?

falconbox

Banned

Well, I agree with the Dark Souls part. For me, it was one of the best games of this generation. Bayonetta was good too, but like Devil May Cry, it's way too twitchy for me.

SystemBug

RDR should win.

TBH don't know what GTA V is doing up there. It's thematically the worst game up there. Well Uncharted 2 is but GTA 5 isn't far behind it.

Bayonetta was too niche.

Xenoblade only on Wii.

SMG lost to the entire Mass Effect saga

Vanquish has only gameplay (and no matter how amazing it is, it's not enough. You need memorable design, set pieces and characters)

I've played and beaten the four games up for the final vote and while they were all great games only one of them even begins to reach the level that GAF hype puts it on.

And it's not TLOU lol

Vanquish has only gameplay (and no matter how amazing it is, it's not enough. You need memorable design, set pieces and characters)

Ha, if this roster proves anything it's that gameplay doesn't have to be amazing like at all for a game to stick around in people's minds. It just has to be passing + polished and of course the most important element ACCORDING TO GAMERS - it must be backed with tons of presentational splendor

Robot Pants

Wow Skyrim beat gta v.
I was extremely disappointed with gta v, but it's still miles better than Skyrim.
At least the last of us will win.

I bet if GTA V would've gotten a PC release, Skyrim would have lost for sure. Well as PS3 gamer I have to chose TLOU over Skyrim because *gulp* i played the PS3 version of Skyrim.

daveo42

Banned
Completely surprised that Skyrim made it this far. It probably doesn't have much of a chance against TLoU though. Was really thinking we would have GTA V vs. TLoU at the end too.

Skyrim was ok, but doesn't deserve to be this close to the top.

Sky rim was a great game but doesn't deserve game of the gen. This is a silly process anyway. Apples oranges etc - this generation had so much more to offer than is represented by this tournament

Completely surprised that Skyrim made it this far. It probably doesn't have much of a chance against TLoU though. Was really thinking we would have GTA V vs. TLoU at the end too.

Skyrim was ok, but doesn't deserve to be this close to the top.

Agreed. I do think Skyrim shocked the gaming community more than GTAV though. We knew what we were getting with GTAV (no matter how awesome).

The Last of Us is easily game of the generation, having played literally every game on this list as far as I can tell.

Shtof

GTA V is not as not as recognizable/rememberable as people seem to think. It will be forgotten soon. The Last of Us, however will remain in our minds a while longer for several reasons, mainly to do with plot and characters, but also because the cutscene/story parts actually acknowledges what is happening during the gameplay, unlike GTA V.

The world in GTA V doesn't react to the player killing 100 cops during a mission. If that happened in real life, you'd see cops driving around in tanks instead of cars pretty soon. In before "it's a game, the devs have to make a few shortcuts to make it fun". No, that won't cut it. If I want a game that's just a game for the sake of being fun I'll just play Mario Bros 3 which was released 25 years ago. Games like GTA which is trying its hardest to be a crime simulator should portray the life of a criminal in a more realistic light.

I'm mainly talking about the archaic, outdated, stupid and unrealistic shooting sequences of the game. The game doesn't need these sections, and it totally destroys the immersion when the protagonist can take 20 rounds to chest and kill 40 henchmen without breaking a sweat while bleeding from several bulletholes in the torso. Why am I blaming GTAV for this instead of the gazillion other generic shooters out there? Well, GTA V got a 97 metascore and sold like 30 million copies in a month. With great power comes great responsibility.

GTA V is a mighty fine game, but it does very little new with the story or the gameplay. San Andreas did all the same stuff in 2004, and will be remembered as the game that perfected the sandbox genre. GTA V can't be remembered for what its predecessor already did.

Hypron

The fact that skyrim made it to the finale is pretty depressing, the game does heaps of things but none of them well. I also actually think if we stay with Bethesda games, Fallout 3 is better. But yeah those things always come down to a popularity contest, so the games that were played by the majority of people will always have an big advantage over games that were only played by a handful.

Timeaisis

Look, it's two remarkably overrated games battling it out. Why am I not surprised?

I have a hard time choosing simply because I don't know which I like more. Sure, they're both great games, but I hardly feel either of them are GOTG. Neither of them did anything that new or exciting.

Look, it's two remarkably overrated games battling it out. Why am I not surprised?

I have a hard time choosing simply because I don't know which I like more. Sure, they're both great games, but I hardly feel either of them are GOTG. Neither of them did anything that new or exciting.

I chose the one that had a story and decent production values.

man i do not understand why people hate on skyrim. it was a magical game. i loved it.

but don't fear, TLoU will win because it's in people minds most recently and was a fresh franchise that did splendidly.

Top Bottom