• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult's Game of the Generation votes are underway

Laieon

I'm going with the Last of Us, but I don't think either of them were nearly as memorable for me as RDR was. Man, what a great game.

Tex117

Banned
Dark Souls. Demon's Souls.

Any Souls...My personl GOTG (games of the millineum so far). Don't give an eff what they think

GTA V is not as not as recognizable/rememberable as people seem to think. It will be forgotten soon. The Last of Us, however will remain in our minds a while longer for several reasons, mainly to do with plot and characters, but also because the cutscene/story parts actually acknowledges what is happening during the gameplay, unlike GTA V.

The world in GTA V doesn't react to the player killing 100 cops during a mission. If that happened in real life, you'd see cops driving around in tanks instead of cars pretty soon. In before "it's a game, the devs have to make a few shortcuts to make it fun". No, that won't cut it. If I want a game that's just a game for the sake of being fun I'll just play Mario Bros 3 which was released 25 years ago. Games like GTA which is trying its hardest to be a crime simulator should portray the life of a criminal in a more realistic light.

I'm mainly talking about the archaic, outdated, stupid and unrealistic shooting sequences of the game. The game doesn't need these sections, and it totally destroys the immersion when the protagonist can take 20 rounds to chest and kill 40 henchmen without breaking a sweat while bleeding from several bulletholes in the torso. Why am I blaming GTAV for this instead of the gazillion other generic shooters out there? Well, GTA V got a 97 metascore and sold like 30 million copies in a month. With great power comes great responsibility.

GTA V is a mighty fine game, but it does very little new with the story or the gameplay. San Andreas did all the same stuff in 2004, and will be remembered as the game that perfected the sandbox genre. GTA V can't be remembered for what its predecessor already did.
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Myeah, those brackets seem a bit lame/biased and not really a great representation of the best IMO.

Is there a GAF game of the generation thread up yet?

Top Bottom