• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass hits 25m subs

DaGwaphics

So the consensus is that 35 to 40% growth YoY is bad? Seems good since this isn't a paywall subscription for access to multiplayer. GP is still a new concept in gaming, if they can keep something close to this level of growth going, the sky is the limit.

Outside of gaming events and showcases that are heavily focused on gamers serious enough to watch these events, MS hasn't even really started to market GP heavily to the general public yet.

yurinka

So the consensus is that 35 to 40% growth YoY is bad?
Almost 39% to be exact.

Seems good since this isn't a paywall subscription for access to multiplayer. GP is still a new concept in gaming, if they can keep something close to this level of growth going, the sky is the limit.
It's a rent subscription service that includes many single player and multiplayer games. It isn't a new concept.

It isn't free, you have to pay it to get the games so it's a paywall. And if you get the base Gamepass instead of Gamepass Ultimate, you also have to pay separatedly Gold (paywall for access to multiplayer) on Xbox.

Outside of gaming events and showcases that are heavily focused on gamers serious enough to watch these events, MS hasn't even really started to market GP heavily to the general public yet.
I got 3 months of GP for PC when I got Discord Nitro, and there are similar promotions where they give you months of PC GP in some other products. They also make ads, obviously targeted to gamers because gamers are the target user of the service.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
So the consensus is that 35 to 40% growth YoY is bad?

You’ll never see any serious analyst say that’s bad. It’s quite good, actually.

People giving their soul and money digging their own no-ownership-grave.
That's sadly hilarious.
Digital future baby: corporates will dictate your playing times, games and can revoke anything at any time.
But hey ! Price is so cheap, who cares ?
That's how it starts, once nothing else will exist... let's show the real plan !

These arguments betray a lack of imagination. You can still be an active Gamepass subscriber AND still want to own stuff. If you must, the best of both worlds approach is to play stuff via Gamepass for years, and then buy what you want to own at the end of gen when the games are like $5 apiece.

Why should I buy Halo Infinite for $60 when I can play it on my subscription and then buy it in 2027 for $5 if I want to own it?

DaGwaphics

It's a rent subscription service that includes many single player and multiplayer games. It isn't a new concept.

It isn't free, you have to pay it to get the games so it's a paywall. And if you get the base Gamepass instead of Gamepass Ultimate, you also have to pay separatedly Gold (paywall for access to multiplayer) on Xbox.

No one was doing day one launches of big budget games on a sub, at least not at GP scale, that is still unique even now. You do have to pay for GP, sure, but all software in the service can be purchased without the sub, nothing is forced it's completely opt-in. PS+ and Gold are forced for users that want multiplayer, there is no option to purchase online privileges on a title by title basis, those are different type of service being sold to a much more captive audience. That's a big distinction because GP subscribers want to have their GP sub based on the value offered, where as Gold and PS+ subs are just on there because that has become an accepted penalty for playing online on console (though they do give the games as perks).

yurinka

No one was doing day one launches of big budget games on a sub
True, GP has been the first one to put AAA games day one on a sub. It's the new thing they added compared to game subscriptons released / announced before. The are also other things that GP implemented them before, even if Sony announced them as their long term plans back for PS Now in 2014 and seems that will be released during this year.

PS+ and Gold are forced for users that want multiplayer, there is no option to purchase online privileges on a title by title basis, those are different type of service being sold to a much more captive audience. That's a big distinction because GP subscribers want to have their GP sub based on the value offered, where as Gold and PS+ subs are just on there because that has become an accepted penalty for playing online on console (though they do give the games as perks).
If Spartacus is real, meaning they merge Plus and Now on a multi tiered service that would have a new intermediate base Gamepass like tier (plus the PS Now would be like the GPU one, meaning it also includes Plus) I think MS will follow rebranding Gold to mention it as a another tier of Gamepass so to bump subs count.

MS and Sony frequently make some moves to match the offerings of the other one, as already happened in other cases when Xbox removed the need of Gold to play F2P games.

Regarding this topic, I think it's also important to see if Spartacus mid tier -the base GP one- will also include PS Plus. If this is the case, then I assume MS will end including Gold in base GP. I think it makes more appealing the package and also makes it easier for the mainstream casual user, who may assume that if you pay to get some games that payment would also include to play online.

Can't remember very well the results, but as I remember there was a PS Plus survey and I think the main reason to get it was the games, with a 40% or so of the votes (so I assume it's why they added PS Plus Collection to PS5 and why they would be planning to include a base Gamepass like tier, which I assume would be more expensive than the base PS Plus sub). But yes, obviously the people who plays MP they get Plus/Gold for that reason.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
You guys aren’t getting it. The $7b Zenimax purchase netted them 7m more GP subs, so the Microsoft Domination Equation is clearly:

a/1000=s

where

a= $ spent on acquisitions
s= additional gamepass subs

So clearly, this Activision acquisition will net MS an additional 70m GP subs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can you spare a link my man?

Been thinking about subbing on pc but 1 dollar every 3 months makes it a no brainer.
No link. Ours just a straight offer from the app. If you list you sub run out, they will lower to 1 usd soon after. Sometimes for 1 or 3 months :p

Banjo64

cumsessed
C9syrXo.jpg
A perk worth wanking for. I mean waiting for.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No link. Ours just a straight offer from the app. If you list you sub run out, they will lower to 1 usd soon after. Sometimes for 1 or 3 months :p
So if I sign up for the first month, cancel it so it just runs out the first month, then I get a low offer?

Lognor

Banned
No link. So talking out of your ass? You're saying you need to sub for one month at regular price and *maybe* you'll get an offer for $1 for one month... maybe 3 months?

Sounds like a bunch of horse shit

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I have tried it once and currently don't have it, so I guess you're wrong.

see ya goodbye GIF by WWE
😂 Same here. I had Gamepass for only like 2 1/2 weeks canceled it and never even used the time I had left with it

Gears 5 was good though so I bought it physically

Hobbygaming

Yeah I bought zero games on Xbox last year and played about 30. I’m turning 46 soon, been gaming since the early 80s, for me Gamepass is the best thing that has happened in gaming during my lifetime. People are weirdly hung up on owning games but I really don’t understand why. Do people still buy TV show boxes?
I do. I just bought Dune and Shang-Chi on bluray and I have some more blurays coming in a few days

Mattyp

Gold Member
That would really raise questions in terms of antitrust. There is a clearly defined market that they would become a monopoly in.

No it wouldn’t, it’s a marketplace anyone can put their games on. They’re not buying the steam userbase and then only allowing Microsoft games.

Ive said for a decade once Gaben bites the bullet and his family sell off Microsoft will be the purchaser.

Steam stays the exact same but hey want gamepass for steam? With all these included games? And all these little publishers that want to jump on board to? No problem here you go.

reksveks

it’s a marketplace anyone can put their games on. They’re not buying the steam userbase and then only allowing Microsoft games.
You need to look at the current bills that congress are trying to pass. They are all about platform holders being able to be self-preferential to themselves over others and trying to limit that.

Fredrik

I do. I just bought Dune and Shang-Chi on bluray and I have some more blurays coming in a few days
That’s movies, I also buy movies sometimes, to get the best quality. But TV shows? Nah.
The thing with Gamepass though is that I still get the best quality. With Netflix for TV shows and movies and Spotify for music there is a quality loss from the streaming and compression. I can’t see any downsides at all with Gamepass at this point. Sooner or later the price will no doubt go up but as of right now it’s awesome. Like I said I payed $60 total for about 30 games last year on XSX. It’s insane.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

That’s movies, I also buy movies sometimes, to get the best quality. But TV shows? Nah.
The thing with Gamepass though is that I still get the best quality. With Netflix for TV shows and movies and Spotify for music there is a quality loss from the streaming and compression. I can’t see any downsides at all with Gamepass at this point. Sooner or later the price will no doubt go up but as of right now it’s awesome. Like I said I payed $60 total for about 30 games last year on XSX. It’s insane.
I still buy shows on bluray too, especially older ones like Spartacus, Smallville, etc. I just really prefer owning as many things as I can. I do make rare exceptions but I love physical discs and owning my stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom