• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepro incorrectly claims Skyward Sword is on Wii U, apologizes, issues correction

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Riposte said:
In your not so humble opinion lol.

I dunno, I mean, obviously the assessment of any one title or even the overall library is subjective, but there are some laughably dumb hypothetical opinions. "The PS2 has no games" would be silly. It's possible someone's personal taste in games is such that the PS2 has no games for them, but such a taste would have to be very specific and very unusual, right? Or if someone said "PC has no good simulation games", it'd be hypothetically possible to find a person that believes this sincerely, but it's a pretty crazy, fringe belief.

The Wii has a pretty uneven library, it's true, and it's lacking in some of the major genres that are most popular these days. It also has had long droughts, and third party support on an annual basis has never been good. It makes total sense to be disappointed with the Wii's output at any given time. But we're now 5 years into the generation, and the full roster of titles available--the whole of the catalog--is strong. I'm not saying it's strong compared to anything else, or that it's the best console to buy, I'm saying that if you were to buy the console and only wanted excellent games, you'd find more than enough of them.

If someone is offering input on a platform-wide OpEd like this one, we can reasonably expect that they have some diversity in their taste. You wouldn't get a sports-only gamer to review a platform--you would get them to review sports games, of course, but not a whole platform, right? In general, we should expect that most people commenting on the platform as a whole are aware of most major titles and are capable of enjoying, more or less, most major genres.

I'm not going to do a stupid list wars thing, but I'd just say that if you list your five or six favourite genres of games sincerely, it should be possible to list at least 3-4 excellent games in the majority of those genres. So not saying 100% coverage, but I'm saying good enough coverage that I'm not sure how someone can begrudge the system at this point in time.

BurntPork

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Skyward Sword is unquestionably HD, and comparable to PS3/360 games. Turns out Nintendo just had to release a firmware update to the Wii to unlock Super HD Graphics Mode. They deliberately underclocked the Wii at launch, just as all true Nfans knew, because was discovered to reduce Whimsy content, but Miyamoto's been working on the last five years and he's finally figured out a how to generate unlimited whimsy detail without causing a CPU hit. Should revolutionize the industry.
denzel-o.gif

Emitan

_Alkaline_ said:
Where a regular poster would post a sarcastic one-line quip, Stump writes poetry.
Stump makes me wish I wasn't so horrible at expressing myself through words. Of course it doesn't help I'm posting from my cell phone a lot of the time.

Gravijah

As someone who has only owned his Wii for less than a year, the current library is definitely healthy. I have tons of games across multiple genres just waiting for me.

Joe Molotov

Billychu said:
Stump makes me wish I wasn't so horrible at expressing myself through words. Of course it doesn't help I'm posting from my cell phone a lot of the time.

Stump makes you want to be a better man.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
As someone who has only owned his Wii for less than a year, the current library is definitely healthy. I have tons of games across multiple genres just waiting for me.
Sin and Punishment?

@Joe
Yes he does

MYE

Billychu said:

My excuse is that English is not my native language

yeah, thats it

lol

Emitan

MYE said:
My excuse is that English is not my native language

yeah, thats it

lol
Sometimes I read my posts and they look like they were written by someone who doesn't speak English very well...

It's my only language! Unless you count the Spanish I used to know.

daycru

Stumpokapow said:
Excised a 16 post accidental derail about physical appearances of male versus female gaming journalists, appropriateness of commenting on it, joking versus creepy, etc.
Uh, thanks?

StuBurns

Banned
The Wii library is terrible, that's not to defend Gamepro though, they're clearly incompetent. That Davison magic just didn't stick.

Outside of a few Nintendo games it's an embarrasing system. Probably the worst since the Saturn.

Sennorin

Banned
StuBurns said:
The Wii library is terrible, that's not to defend Gamepro though, they're clearly incompetent. That Davison magic just didn't stick.

Outside of a few Nintendo games it's an embarrasing system. Probably the worst since the Saturn.

Have to check out the Saturn then, if it´s almost as great as the Wii.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
StuBurns said:

By what metric? Compared to other consoles this generation? Probably yes. But if you buy a Wii you are not going to be lacking for software unless you're the kind of person who needs a new game to play every week.

MYE

StuBurns said:

I'll keep that in mind when i get home to my 20+ and growing Wii collection.
Should probably think about buying a Saturn too, if its comparable.

StuBurns

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
By what metric? Compared to other consoles this generation? Probably yes. But if you buy a Wii you are not going to be lacking for software unless you're the kind of person who needs a new game to play every week.
By the metric of subjective quality, I don't know how else one would attempt to judge a platform.

And I disagree, people are seriously lacking in software that's worth playing.

StuBurns

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Stu, I don't think anyone realises you're kidding around.
I'm not kidding. I'm surprised anyone would disagree it's the worst.

Even if there are twenty good Wii games, and there aren't nearly as far as I know, that'd still be pathetic, it's been out for five years.

WillyFive

StuBurns said:

Even if there are twenty good Wii games, and there aren't nearly as far as I know, that'd still be pathetic, it's been out for five years.

No, not at all. I don't agree at all. I have much less than twenty Wii games, but I would hardly say it's the worst since the Saturn, or even in my opinion the worst of this generation.

MYE

StuBurns said:

You're just asking for list wars. Dont do that :(

There are more than 20 good Wii games

(._.)

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I agree with you. That is one thing I really do appreciate about the wii. It doesn't have a library that supports the activities of the modern fickle gamer. Just so much worthless crap out there these days. The win does have a lot of shovelware but it doesn't really meter b/c all the core games are classics. I think a system with a select few excellent games is better than one with a bunch of good-ok games.

tiff

Banned
As a primarily PC gamer I wouldn't say the Wii is even the worst of the current crop of consoles.

Not that the Wii has a fantastic lineup, mind you.

WillyFive

Billychu said:
N64 had a bad library compared to the PSOne. Didn't stop anyone from enjoying what it had.

It had a much smaller one, but definitely not bad (or anything close to a negative) in the least.

(._.)

Banned
Willy105 said:
It had a much smaller one, but definitely not bad (or anything close to a negative) in the least.
I have it bordering on bad. I would put the wii library far ahead of it. The system makes more sense as your main system now than the 64 did during its time.

MYE

StuBurns said:
I didn't say there isn't anything enjoyable on the Wii.

Nope. You said this though:

"Outside of a few Nintendo games it's an embarrasing system"

Still pretty eye roll inducing.

StuBurns

Banned
Medalion said:
Stu, much like that gamepro writer, can have this opinion, but they should refrain from stating it as fact is all.
Maybe there should be an automated 'IMO' added to all GAF posts for the people who fail to grasp even the basics of communication.

MYE said:
Nope. You said this though:

"Outside of a few Nintendo games it's an embarrasing system"

Still pretty eye roll inducing.
I think it's eye rolling you think there are twenty good Wii games, lets pretend neither of us exist so we never have to eye roll again.

Gravijah

StuBurns said:
Maybe there should be an automated 'IMO' added to all GAF posts for the people who fail to grasp even the basics of communication.

hey man, he only fails to grasp the basics of communication in your opinion

Emitan

_Alkaline_ said:
Stu making a solid campaign to steal BurntPork's status as 'most insane GAF poster.'
I'm not sure if pork has become more reasonable or stu is generating some crazy distortion field.

MYE

Your post sounded more like your objective evaluation of the system than personal opinion.

And you DID write a "he's kind of right" sounding post, after the complaints of that GamePro journalists extremely negative and inaccurate description of what the Wii really has to offer. What were you expecting?

StuBurns said:
I think it's eye rolling you think there are twenty good Wii games, lets pretend neither of us exist so we never have to eye roll again.

uh...okay then.

Katbot said:
Again, extending apologies on behalf of my pub

Kat - just wanted to give you the view from a reader, I like a lot of the original content you guys put out. The problem is I have a heck of a time figuring out where it is/ what it is amongst all the trailers and random news bytes(there doesn't even seem to be a way to choose just see features etc.

So in the end I just end up not reading anything on the site , I'm sure I'm not the only one, just a heads up from one former reader who would love to be a current reader if the format could just be improved.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
_Alkaline_ said:
Stu making a solid campaign to steal BurntPork's status of most insane GAF poster.
BurntPork was hilarious when he was trolling Nintendo. I'm glad he survived junior status, he's fun to have around.

olimpia84

StuBurns said:

I have more Wii games than PS3 games in my collection.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:

I don't think all of this eye-rolling is healthy.

The_Technomancer said:
BurntPork was hilarious when he was trolling Nintendo. I'm glad he survived junior status, he's fun to have around.
I never trolled. I'm just scared that they might run themselves into the ground if they're not more careful. ;-;

rpmurphy

StuBurns said:

What do you mean by 20 good games? Do you mean 20 games that are considered good within their respective genres and that people interested in those kind of games would find them enjoyable, or do you mean 20 games that an average gamer of any kind of leaning would enjoy?

Top Bottom