• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameReactor Rumor: XBOX 1 delayed until Q1 2014, maybe only in Europe; CVG: Not True

Acheteedo

price, specs and release date are the only things that really matter, or at least are by far the biggest three factors.

PR fluff about active cooling and not needing to plug the mandatory Kinect device into the unit at all times are relatively nothing by comparison.

There was nothing fluffy about the DRM reversal. The included headset was solid good news. Anyway, not sure I care enough to continue this, just struck me as odd to link announcements several months apart, with plenty happening in between, as a trend.

That would almost be suicide for MS as most of EU is PS land, apart from the UK. I doubt this is true, unless they have huge manufacturing issues. Or, before the 180 they only intended to launch in select countries cause of the always online DRM, but since they dropped it, maybe MS never managed to catch up with production to cover all other countries.

Moozo

Well it was initially only launching in 21 (?) countries because of the DRM, right? Why would reversing the DRM suddenly mean they could launch everywhere? It wouldn't. So it would make sense that they're still not going to have enough supply for everywhere.

Daishogun

I think that it could have to do with some territories being pushed back, but it's too much of a loss for Microsoft to concede 3-6 months where the PS4 is the only next-gen console. It was said last-gen and I'll repeat it, if/when consoles launch very far apart, you end up having the console shortage of the newer console driving sales in the other; that is to say, if someone walks to Gamestop with $399 and wants an Xbox One in Q1 2014 (for examples sake, definitely think it's coming November), and it's out of stock, they are highly likely to just get the other console instead, as they were prepared to let go of $399 for a next-gen console. Hype is very, very powerful. This happened to the PS3 when it launched a year late, and to supply shortages where 360's were in abundance.

KoopaTheCasual

They would be toast on continental Europe if this turns out true

Well, since their 'multi-media' services predominantly focus on the US for their new Xbox, I'm not so sure if they ever planned to put much faith in that market. Seems like MS just want to lock down US (and to an extent UK) markets to themselves. Launching in very few regions outside those countries would help create an artificial surplus of systems in both territories, so they can outship Sony early and get an early stronghold on those markets. Public perception and word of mouth would do the rest (strictly hypothetically).

While I don't think this is a sound strategy, and believe that MS should just take their limited supply in stride and not gun for dominance, it would gel with the idea of MS wanting the focus of the Xbox One to be a "luxury item" that's frankly not meant for everyone.

AngryMoth

Weird rumour. I had presumed production was going well given the recent gpu upclock. Could be a strategic move I suppose, dropping some small countries so they can fulfil demand in the bigger ones.

beast786

Interesting if true. US and UK would be huge for PS even if they can level the field. MS has to dominate in those two region and they know that.l would assume they will do all they can get to dominate US and UK.

manzo

Scandinavian countries are so small when it comes to LTDs. Should the Xbox One sell more than 300 000 consoles in the whole Scandinavia during it's lifetime, I'd say that's a great success. I don't have sales data to back this up, but I remember reading about 50 000 sold Xbox 360's in Finland. That's a quarter of normal monthly sales in the US.

So if they lose a sale of 15000 consoles during 2013 in Scandinavia, that's really a drop in the bucket.

Yeah don't think to be true at all

MS shipped the X360 knowing about the RROD problems

They're not launching late

That being said I have 0 trust in MS execs

Where for art thou cboat?

Donos

Most likely not true. MS has a huge amount of resources and the console launch is very important to them.

That all kinds of rumors about Sony and MS are surfacing shows that we are close to the real party. Dat december npd is going to be nuts.

Little did you know, Cboat was MS exec all along.

Mind=Blown.

Mind_Blown.gif

kmax

Yeah uh, I don't think that they'd be insane enough to skip the holidays. Sony's got a strong position in Continental Europe, so Microsoft pretty much has to compete on equal terms in order to have a viable chance for success.

Skipping the holidays is just going to make things a lot tougher for them from the get go.

Could be true. It will be about unit allocation - MS may want to match (or beat) the PS4 numbers in store in their key markets (US and UK, plus other "nearly MS owned" markets) and pickup other areas later.

They'd not admit that of course, they'd say it was due to localisation / language issues, not wishing to make any of the other markets seem less important.

Another option may be to simply get a very small number / less than planned to those smaller markets and saturate the US and UK. Makes sense, given where they are this generation in those markets and the apparent user shift to Sony next gen.

So it was true.. Makes some of the responses really funny.

MS has been groggy since February,
Im thinking Gamescom may be the suckerpunch to the chin that sends them to the ground.
Gamers arent dumb..
They may have BF or/and Fifa, EU bighitters at the MS conference, but people still know those games will be multiplat. But not launching in every territory in EU? Thats a bit insulting, isnt it?

Kopite

MS has been groggy since February,
Im thinking Gamescom may be the suckerpunch to the chin that sends them to the ground.
Gamers arent dumb..
They may have BF or/and Fifa, EU bighitters at the MS conference, but people still know those games will be multiplat. But not launching in every territory in EU? Thats a bit insulting, isnt it?

Can't for the life of me see how it could be 'insulting' especially when the 360 launched in fewer countries.Unwise, sure. Insulting? Nah.

Alx

Can't for the life of me see how it could be 'insulting' especially when the 350 launched in fewer countries.Unwise, sure. Insulting? Nah.

I think that the 360 launching in fewer countries wasn't exact, it did launch in more actually (Albert Penello was looking at wikipedia as a source, but he counted "Eurozone" as a single country). But even then, having a console launch later in European countries is nothing new indeed. The annoying part for the countries of Q1 2014 is that MS first announced they would be in the first launch, and later changed their plans.

Can't for the life of me see how it could be 'insulting' especially when the 360 launched in fewer countries.Unwise, sure. Insulting? Nah.

So. You think the world we lived in 2005 is the same one we do today?
Sorry, MS got away with the RROD fiasco all those years ago. If that happend on that large scale again. Their doomed.
X1 is also $300 dollars more expensive in my country than PS4.
PS4 = $500
X1= $750+
So they dont even have price on their side.
The original Xbox sold so badly and had such a limited release, alot of people assumed the 360 was the first foray into gaming. With that said, with the burn RROD caused, trust of MS was already low before they smeared dirt further on their already tarnished reputation all through 2013.
The Initial reveal was a wound.
E3 was throwing salt on it.
Not having a worldwide release, thats dousing it with vinegar right there.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm doubting the Bone will sell out. Especially in Europe.

I think it will, but only because I think the recent cut in launch countries indicates a severe shortage in launch stock.

SHADES

I'm doubting the Bone will sell out. Especially in Europe.

Even with all the shit that's surrounded the XB1 since may it will still sell out anywhere its launched, were probably looking at 1m launch units approx against a fan base of 76m, even if they lost 3/4 of their fan base there's still more than enough people still interested.

Also the power of CoD, Halo, Titanfall is enough of a lure.

avaya

I think it will, but only because I think the recent cut in launch countries indicates a severe shortage in launch stock.

Maybe but I don't think people realise how fucked it is in the UK. It's launching at a higher price than PS3 did with a comparatively poorer positioning.

Top Bottom