• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamers Nexus] Weak Design: PlayStation 5 Thermals, Power, & Noise Testing

THEAP99

Banned
And because Xbox Series X has a similiar problem its ok or what?
Hope Sony and MS get it fixed ASAP. 93 celcius on a brandnew Ps5s memory isn't a good indicator for the next few months.
because the "overclocked gpu causing issues" FUD has ought to go

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
dont genius me dear 🤷‍♀️
NnHNLSB.png

the 120mm may aid the nand cooling, but not the gddr6 it seems.
besides i have not seen steel being used as a heat conductor over aluminium or copper. very peculiar choice by the new Sony guy.

You are inferring that Astro is not a demanding game that does not consume enough, and still it measures 93ºc T-Case (which btw that graph does not measure the ram silicon itself).

For your information, Astro consumes ~180w and PS5 itself looks to be limited to around 200w. The extra 20watts from a more demanding game are pertinent to the actively cooled GPU. -The memory always consumes the same, therefor so should be the temps.

Last edited:
No no, I am asking due to my PC, this is like a OT, I have actively cooled SSD and now I am conteplating if that's a good idea... Because one of my SSD shit the bed and that was also actively cooled. DIY obviously.
Windows 10 might have killed it too. They had a defrag bug that was ruining ssds.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
You are inferring that Astro is not a demanding game that does not consume enough, and still it measures 93ºc T-Case (which btw that graph does not measure the ram silicon itself).

For your information, Astro consumes ~180w and PS5 itself looks to be limited to around 200w. The extra 20watts from a more demanding game are pertinent to the actively cooled GPU. -The memory always consumes the same, therefor so should be the temps.

Yeah it should be the same temp in normal 20 celsius ambient conditions.
But leave it 3 months in a dusty shelf and then the sommer is coming....

OMG i really hope its not another "Gate" thing.

spyshagg

spyshagg

Yeah it should be the same temp in normal 20 celsius ambient conditions.
But leave it 3 months in a dusty shelf and then the sommer is coming....

OMG i really hope its not another "Gate" thing.

The fan is rated up to ~30watts of consumption (and therefor, cooling capacity). For reference, a regular PC consumer fan consumes ~3 to 5 watts. The PS5 fan could be used in a small leaf blower. Dont worry about it.

Ehtonk

Neo Member

8OV6C2S.png

I don't really get it, i think Steve is mocking the fanboys. The memory ist getting to hot not the CPU

Ehtonk

Neo Member
The fan is rated up to ~30watts of consumption (and therefor, cooling capacity). For reference, a regular PC consumer fan consumes ~3 to 5 watts. The PS5 fan could be used in a small leaf blower. Dont worry about it.
i dont think, it doesn't really matter how powerful the fan is. Its sounds and looks like that the bottom memory is the problem. Maybe they can fix it if they ramp the cooling up. But only time will tell. For now its a bad indicator.

spyshagg

i dont think, it doesn't really matter how powerful the fan is. Its sounds and looks like that the bottom memory is the problem. Maybe they can fix it if they ramp the cooling up. But only time will tell. For now its a bad indicator.

Of course it matters. Half the heat from those memory IC are being transported by the PCB, to the points of contact with the cooler on the other side of the board.
The cooling capacity of a 30watts fan is absurd. It means the cooling will go nuclear if it has too.

Last edited:

Ehtonk

Neo Member
Of course it matters. Half the heat from those memory IC are being transported by the PCB, to the points of contact with the cooler on the other side of the board.
The cooling capacity of a 30watts fan is absurd. It means the cooling will go nuclear if it has too.

Yeah but why is it running at 93 celsius now? When it could run at 80+ with more fan speed ? My Ps4 pro was silent the first few months aswell. Now its a fanblower. I really hope sony nows what they are doing. We don't need another billion dollar RROD thing right now.

spyshagg

I commented here because someone was doing a "Stormfront - from the boys" turning this into a real problem.

I failed and this is going retard real fast.

cebri.one

On B3D they are speculating GN could have created a GAP between the memory die and the metal plate affecting the dissipation of the heat so there is that as well. Anyway, this is news for trolls.

JonkyDonk

From a verified developer on era:

''It looks like the memory modules are using a cured thermal compound (from engineer's interview), and he tore it off before putting the probes. I don't know how he can test the temperature afterwards without knowing how to reapply the original compound. It's the reason I didn't do a tear down on mine, I'm waiting to be sure to know how to reapply this stuff, and what stuff it is.

So I disagree with his methodology.''

GHG

Gold Member

''It looks like the memory modules are using a cured thermal compound (from engineer's interview), and he tore it off before putting the probes. I don't know how he can test the temperature afterwards without knowing how to reapply the original compound. It's the reason I didn't do a tear down on mine, I'm waiting to be sure to know how to reapply this stuff, and what stuff it is.

If that is indeed the case then GN will confirm and conduct a retest or follow up video.

Steve is usually pretty good with these types of things so we will know soon enough.

cebri.one

There is weird gap between the paste and the plate, so this could be the case. Imagine if he retest and then the temperatures go down substantially, what a bad day for troll bots.

If that is indeed the case then GN will confirm and conduct a retest or follow up video.

Steve is usually pretty good with these types of things so we will know soon enough.

But.....but.....I wanna rage!

LET ME RAGE

Last edited:

Oh. That DOES make sense.

cebri.one

Junction temperature is generally hotter is it not? It's supposed to be the hottest part of the device.

Yes. However I do believe the Tj for those memories is higher as we have seen the recent Nvidia cards reaching sustained temps of 104ºC. Probably RAM manufacturers are being cautions about the information they publish. AMD is advertising the new 6800XT running at 2.1 - 2.2 Ghz on game mode and it reaches 2.4 Ghz, so it's not unusual that manufacturers add some margin to the numbers they make public.

Last edited:

Keihart

The first thing i though about before even watching the video was about how the sensors he installed were installed, that to me was the most interesting part because it invalidates the whole purpose of the experiment of measuring the real temps and to my surprise it's just brushed off as, yeah custom wiring, moving on...and now this after watching the video, it really looks kinda funny after justifying the experiment as being the real interpretation of how termals are in the console.

Honestly, at least thermal imaging it's accurate in how heat it's moving trough the console and, this on the other hand...what are this temps really telling us? they are not accurate and the cooling stopped being stock the moment you tampered with it?

Zathalus

Yes. However I do believe the Tj for those memories is higher as we have seen the recent Nvidia cards reaching sustained temps of 104ºC. Probably RAM manufacturers are being cautions about the information they publish. AMD is advertising the new 6800XT running at 2.1 - 2.2 Ghz on game mode and it reaches 2.4 Ghz, so it's not unusual that manufacturers add some margin to the numbers they make public.
The new Nvidia cards use GDDR6X which can apparently run up to 120c just fine.

I'm pretty sure the console should be fine under normal use, but those VRAM temperatures could be better.

cebri.one

The new Nvidia cards use GDDR6X which can apparently run up to 120c just fine.

I'm pretty sure the console should be fine under normal use, but those VRAM temperatures could be better.

GDDR6X, according to Micron, has the same operating temperature envelope as the GDDR6 : 0-95

Jo1YGa9.jpg

They do. They are curved to prevent other devices from being stacked against the console, which would block air.
Do they don't. They should if said here at Sony we have a lot of dumb users so we had to design the console with them in mind.
The panels don't assist shit if the console is placed with any common sense.

sircaw

Banned
More compute units in the GPU and therefore more ray accelerators and shaders, faster CPU, greater bus width and more memory bandwidth. Not to mention hardware features like VRS, mesh shaders, SFS, and ML silicon that are not present in the PS5. Good luck.

And yet here you are with your games being dumped on by a so-called inferior machine.

And remember what the dirt 5 developer said about your tools, there good, and pretty mature.

GG dude, its been a bad couple of weeks, for you, it's time to accept that the bullshit pr spin was all a lie.

Miles708

To be honest, I always thought those ugly-ass lateral panels were useful for ventilation. But apparently the console runs hotter with them?
So they're there for "design"?

Welp.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The side panels are there so people don't block the vents by stacking the console, also it keeps the outside cool to the touch because of the extra layer.

It also supposedly creates a vacuum for the internal M2 slot, so when that is factored in, that slot may run hotter without the panels.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
i mean i'm no expert! But running those temps out of the box isn't a good sign.
I had a lot of tech the last decades and always when something was running close to max in begin with, it died in the first or second year. In real life we have like dust and no perfect conditions over the time. Fingers crossed!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Gamers Nexus is top notch. Imagine them like a defense attorney fighting at your side. Looking forward to the XSX breakdown.

Me too.
I'm concerned as the XsX is quite a bit smaller than the PS5 with higher specs. I fear it could have much worse thermal issues. It's running flawlessly at the moment, but will that still be the case a week, a month, 2 or 3 years from now?

Top Bottom