• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games are invaded with SJW politics

Eimran

It's basically virtue signalling developers trying to pander minorities who don't even buy the games. It's nothing more than a failed marketing stunt.

I don't mind games that are politically influenced. But there's a big difference between politically inspired and using games as a Trojan horse for your political agenda.

It's kind of hypocritical because these People are all about free speech but the backlash games recieve because it hurts their feelings, the censoring of scripts and box-arts shows they're doing the opposite of free speech.

Not suprising if you take a look at the "journalists" of sjw-infested platforms like Kotaku and resetera.

Kagey K

Banned
Its like there is no middle ground anymore both side wants to get offended to act like a victim. If some people don't like sexy design then go buy something else or if you don't like what ND is doing then buy different game. These days we games for almost eveyone but why people need waste their time to get outraged for every little thing? My theory is people on Internet actually enjoy being outraged and overreacting even more than actual playing games.

Cato

Banned
If this is the path they want to take with TLOU2 then fine with me.
But I expect there to be Kojima length cutscenes of hot lesbo action.

None of that artsy BS, a silent kiss in the dark rain and things just fade to black and flowers.
Show me how woke you are and gimme hours long hot lesbo action cutscenes.
If it is interactive, then that is even better.

ND, do this right and I might buy PSVR for this game!

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I though there were enough space marines, nazi slaughter and japaneses kids showing their boobs games for everyone.

Barnabot

there's no sjw politics when you're flying over 18000 feet and bombing the shit out of your enemies facilities and dogfighting the hell out of the bandits which are flying in the sky.

I remember as a kid we were fighting against the labels, nobody could put us in boxes.

Now they all want to be labeled, and I don’t understand why.

ill OK Boomer myself on that one, but I will never understand why they want to be labelled.

Pro-tip: you're not a "boomer". Only millennials with fewer than five brain cells use and hand-sway opinions using that term (yes, they are abundant). I'm fine with criticism but I'm not fine with rebranding historical terms and dismissing an idea based on a racial group or age bracket.

Anyone with a love for gaming knows that "Baby boomers" were a great generation. It's really odd that, as a gen-X, I get "ok boomer"'d as a negative. The ignorance is hilarious. They don't realise that they're paying me a compliment and laughably branding me with the generation who, in part, engineered and designed the foundation of modern gaming and entertainment.

Millenials make it hard to view their online diatribe with any thoughtful consideration really difficult sometimes.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

So they are making games to appeal to a wider audience is that bad? Or is it that you can’t handle it?
You're making this sound like only positives can come out of it. I don't have an issue when it's a new product for the "wider audience". It's annoying when it's an existing product that's undergone drastic changes to appease people representing a few percent of the global population while alienating a lot of the customers from the remaining majority. The term "get woke, go broke" will only increase in popularity in the upcoming years. It's already happening to many new movies.

Virex

Banned
Back in the days I remember plugging in a game cartridge or disk and sit down to play and even as a 5 year old kid I could relate to the games I played, I knew horses could run fast and women were pretty and men were strong and guns kill and falling on lava is game over.

But nowadays besides the beautiful graphics you would think things would get better but instead we got worse you plug in a game you sit down and start learning politics, I don't know anybody I grew up with or played games with who ever asked for such politics not anybody I've ever known. It's being forced in my throat it's "FASCISM"

you could nail girls on the harem in god of war on the ps2 and somehow gaming sites and media complained about it, somehow they called it toxic masculinity, basically being a boy and doing boyish things is now toxic and bad, even days gone was hated for somehow having a straight male and kissing his girlfriend,
And somehow last of us 2 was praised for having a lesbian protagonist kissing her girlfriend I have a feeling it'll be even more praised if they include a lesbian sex scene in it.

In conclusion I can't help but feel that there is a big animosity and hate on men around maybe they hate us because we're too good too strong tall and we have balls, but we're born this way and try as you might this is how we come and if any developer is reading this, we are tired of your sjw agenda we need art back we need our games back stop invading our "MAN CAVE" we never invaded your make up room!
Do you read science fiction? If not, don't bother. Same thing has happened to science fiction publishing as well. It's ruined

Ulysses 31

You're making this sound like only positives can come out of it. I don't have an issue when it's a new product for the "wider audience". It's annoying when it's an existing product that's undergone drastic changes to appease people representing a few percent of the global population while alienating a lot of the customers from the remaining majority. The term "get woke, go broke" will only increase in popularity in the upcoming years. It's already happening to many new movies.
Bet he's the kinda guy who's fine with any "changes" made for the Chinese market as well... :lollipop_confounded::lollipop_confounded::lollipop_confounded:

Last edited:
there's no sjw politics when you're flying over 18000 feet and bombing the shit out of your enemies facilities and dogfighting the hell out of the bandits which are flying in the sky.

I agree. It was better when you could do that and Teabag the faggots on the PC and tell them that you raped their mom without hurting feelings on a personal level. (It is all banter at the end of the day)

PocoJoe

Banned
While we appreciate local insight and culture of communities, please do provide some level of substantiation where applicable.
Sweden is a lost cause. It's a great thing we finally have border control from that crazy country.

Sweden is worse than Somalia.

I'm from Finland aka east to Sweden and things are bad at there. More bomb attacks than in war zone almost, like hundreds/year.

"No go zones" aka areas of cities where non-natives have made the culture more rich by violence and fear, even police/paramedics fear those areas.

Hundreds of cars burnt on regular basis.

More rapes than you can count.

And still they try to hide it + our main news agencies are lead by "the can be problem because are immigrants are saints" kind of people = not many headlines in our media either.

Truth is that Africans+muslims fuck up every culture they touch, and too many are naive and believe that every human is equally good.

Sweden is good example how things go.

And when some tries to talk the truth there = he/she is fired + shamed publicly, even when all they said were true.

Revas

I've really struggled to understand this issue, why is it pandering when a game has a diverse cast, but not pandering when it's a cast of good looking white people?

I initially thought the OP was joking but clearly the "toxic masculinity" brigade are getting to people

Ulysses 31

I've really struggled to understand this issue, why is it pandering when a game has a diverse cast, but not pandering when it's a cast of good looking white people?

I initially thought the OP was joking but clearly the "toxic masculinity" brigade are getting to people
Usually with "diverse" casts in Hollywood entertainment it's diversity of skin color to score woke points for twitter likes and retweets rather than diversity of though and having fleshed out characters with certain flaws.

Ulysses 31

If anything companies pandering more to China might end up reducing the amount of LGBT stuff you see in games. Can't have those if you want that China market.
Which shows that companies don't really buy into the SJW stuff on principle but just pander if they think it will be more profitable short term.

Do you read science fiction? If not, don't bother. Same thing has happened to science fiction publishing as well. It's ruined

I've noticed this as well. As a huge fan of science fiction, I've recently stopped reading most sci-fi novels authored after 2010 now as a general rule. It's fine by me, it's not like I'm short of content to consume (I'll die long before I've even touched half a percent of the books that I want to read).

If modern writers don't want my money, then they're not getting it. My entertainment/relaxation time is far too important to me.

"Pro-tip: Liu Cixin's sci-fi content is fantastic. The Three-Body Problem trilogy actually changed the way I look at the universe. I wish that his novels were translated to English faster"]

Last edited:

Revas

Usually with "diverse" casts in Hollywood entertainment it's diversity of skin color to score woke points for twitter likes and retweets rather than diversity of though and having fleshed out characters with certain flaws.

You are branding everything and skewing it to suit your argument. Typically in Hollywood a "diverse" cast is intended to be more appealing to a range of audiences, not for Twitter likes. In games the idea is much the same.

From my perspective, you are essentially complaining about no longer being the group solely and exclusively marketed to. Get over it, or find something else to play.

Geki-D

Banned
There are only 2 genders: Male and political.
There are only 2 races: White and political.
There are only 2 sexual orientations: straight and political.

Working on that manifesto, huh?
Isn't it funny how many anti-SJWs have this massive crossover with alt right talking points? I said earlier that they either become grifters or cry on the internet all day. I actually forgot another position; ranting about feminism and immigration before shooting up a synagogue.

Sterling88

Which shows that companies don't really buy into the SJW stuff on principle but just pander if they think it will be more profitable short term.
Mhm. Companies are all about profit. They don't give a shit about the agenda most of the time and will just drop it if it isn't making money.

Vote with your wallets.

Ulysses 31

You are branding everything and skewing it to suit your argument.
Naw, I covered myself from that with the use of "usually". :p
From my perspective, you are essentially complaining about no longer being the group solely and exclusively marketed to. Get over it, or find something else to play.

You're projecting, I don't need characters to have the same skin color or gender as me to have empathy/sympathy with them. Give me well written characters.

Jon Neu

Banned
I remember as a kid we were fighting against the labels, nobody could put us in boxes.

ill OK Boomer myself on that one, but I will never understand why they want to be labelled.

Because feminism, Sjw, and those types of politics are just about inflating your ego and hate the evil white male.

You have to put labels so you can label the evil white male as the evil white male and the rest of the world as the opressed minorities.

Sterling88

Well this year I've played

• Sekiro
  • FFXIV Shadowbringers
  • Star Wars Fallen Order
  • LoZ Link's Awakening
  • RE2 Remake
  • Apex
  • CoD Modern Warfare
And haven't seen any SJW boogeymen pop up in my games. Threads like these are always a bit of a headscratcher.
This. Just play better games. For every TLOU2 and Cyberpunk coming out you've got things like DOOM Eternal and FF7 that are just going to be normal-ass video games.

Revas

Naw, I covered myself from that with the use of "usually". :p

You're projecting, I don't need characters to have the same skin color or gender as me to have empathy/sympathy with them. Give me well written characters.

Uh huh. Do you find writing in games is down across the board or primarily in those that feature "diverse" casts?

I don't think games are "invaded" by sjw politics. I won't try to convince anyone out of their concerns, since one can merely look at the tens of thousands of games coming out every year and take your pick (it's likely you won't even accidentally come across SJW politics).

If you want to avoid SJW stuff, it's pretty easy: avoid games that rely on narrative. The problem isn't necessarily SJW politics, it is that gaming is overrun by amateur writing which opens the window to so called "SJW politics".

Still, even if games are being "invaded", it doesn't matter. Politics in games age like milk, and these big publishers are moving toward streaming platforms that require evergreen titles. By their nature, politically- and ideologically-charged games are not evergreen unless they keep it really generic and mainstream. Imagine if your Netflix queue was crammed full of Left Behind movies and 90-minute footage of Evangelical sermons. I mean.... it would appeal to a particular audience, but most people wouldn't be interested in watching it. If gaming is moving to a streaming/digital delivery format, people don't want their queue packed with SJW stuff because the average person gets sick of it, too.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

SJWs/Cultural Marxists don't see individuals anymore, only groups based on immutable characteristics you're born with and they're all about overthrowing the oppressing majority in the name of social justice.

Birdo

Banned
The problem is nepotism. These kinds of people get into companies and then start only hiring people that are like them. I've seen it happen first hand.

People say it's going to get worse, but I actually think it's just a passing phase.

Some of them are so far left that they are beginning to annoy everyone. Even their own. Eventually it will all even out again, as people see how rediculous things have gotten (Hopefully).

Jon Neu

Banned
Well this year I've played

• Sekiro
  • FFXIV Shadowbringers
  • Star Wars Fallen Order
  • LoZ Link's Awakening
  • RE2 Remake
  • Apex
  • CoD Modern Warfare
And haven't seen any SJW boogeymen pop up in my games. Threads like these are always a bit of a headscratcher.

I haven't seen it, therefore isn't happening.

McCheese

The worst thing is how American it all is.

Guns and shooting in games just comes as standard. Taking away life, someone's existence in the world, is a fun sport.

But being attracted to women who are sexual positive and flaunt themselves, or like games which strive for historical accuracy over inclusivity. You are a fucking nazi!!

Last edited:

sol_bad

Back in the days I remember plugging in a game cartridge or disk and sit down to play and even as a 5 year old kid I could relate to the games I played, I knew horses could run fast and women were pretty and men were strong and guns kill and falling on lava is game over.

But nowadays besides the beautiful graphics you would think things would get better but instead we got worse you plug in a game you sit down and start learning politics, I don't know anybody I grew up with or played games with who ever asked for such politics not anybody I've ever known. It's being forced in my throat it's "FASCISM"

you could nail girls on the harem in god of war on the ps2 and somehow gaming sites and media complained about it, somehow they called it toxic masculinity, basically being a boy and doing boyish things is now toxic and bad, even days gone was hated for somehow having a straight male and kissing his girlfriend,
And somehow last of us 2 was praised for having a lesbian protagonist kissing her girlfriend I have a feeling it'll be even more praised if they include a lesbian sex scene in it.

In conclusion I can't help but feel that there is a big animosity and hate on men around maybe they hate us because we're too good too strong tall and we have balls, but we're born this way and try as you might this is how we come and if any developer is reading this, we are tired of your sjw agenda we need art back we need our games back stop invading our "MAN CAVE" we never invaded your make up room!

You topic title doesn't match what you are saying.

What you are saying is games media and coverage is infected by SJW shit. The games themselves are perfectly fine.

Jon Neu

Banned
The problem is nepotism. These kinds of people get into companies and then start only hiring people that are like them. I've seen it happen first hand.

This is so true it hurts.

I have literally seen people not qualified at all geting the job just because they have the right kind of political ideas.

I mean, we just have to look at how crazy radicals like Anita Sarkeesian or Zoe Quinn have gotten so much power inside the industry.

Birdo

Banned
Im getting sick of this. Can anyone put a list of games that was victim of this mové?

It's mostly little things here and there. Nothing game breaking, but more of a frequent annoyance.

From all the women in Mortal Kombat now being covered up, outrage over Trans characters in Japanese games, to the press' constant whining about lack of women (When there isn't). It all just adds up.

The biggest victim, to me, was The Last Night, which was basically blacklisted by the entire industry, due to it's theme about a feminist dystopian future.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I immediately discount the opinion of anyone who uses the term "SJW" seriously.

What word would you use to describe those kinds of people then? (Not being snarky, genuinly asking).

I typically use "Extreme left", but I'm curious as to what you would call them.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I've noticed this as well. As a huge fan of science fiction, I've recently stopped reading most sci-fi novels authored after 2010 now as a general rule. It's fine by me, it's not like I'm short of content to consume (I'll die long before I've even touched half a percent of the books that I want to read).

If modern writers don't want my money, then they're not getting it. My entertainment/relaxation time is far too important to me.

"Pro-tip: Liu Cixin's sci-fi content is fantastic. The Three-Body Problem trilogy actually changed the way I look at the universe. I wish that his novels were translated to English faster"]
I'm busy with The Dark Forest at the moment:messenger_sunglasses:

If you want sjw free science fiction novels. Look at the publisher BAEN Books. They publish some great sci-fi. Free of the sjw shit. They are just publish good novels.

ROMhack

What word would you use to describe those kinds of people then? (Not being snarky, genuinly asking).

I typically use "Extreme left", but I'm curious as to what you would call them.

No solution here because the problem is that generalising a whole group will always have flaws. You can see those tendencies with 'alt right' tags, too.

Really, we'd all be better if we stopped labeling people and determined context. The us vs. them mentality it breeds is what's truly toxic IMHO.

Top Bottom