• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games are invaded with SJW politics

Phase

I'm just against outrage culture. Many issues are nuanced and yelling at each other isn't conducive to worthwhile progress or discussion. That being said it's sad that so much of our media is lambasted with SJW agendas day in and day out. People just eventually fight back when they're tired of nonsense. We see so much shoehorning of LGBTQ+ stuff into things where it simply has no purpose or reason to be there. I'm all for equality and fair rights, but the virtue signaling is ruining things for everyone (even those LGBTQ+ individuals).

FMXVII

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Art can reflect a person's beliefs, even if those beliefs are fucking stupid. Politics in art and media have been a thing for as long as art and media have been around. Those politics have just gotten worse over time.

O.G. Captain America: out of the loop, retired.

A new Capt. Awakens: Cool, but needs serum.

No trends Bucking.

Last edited:
When gaming classes and learning centers were removed from local community centers and small educational organizations to general mainstream colleges and diversity clubs, this was obviously going to happen.

Issue is, it can't last because they spend too much trying to target and force diversity quotas and you keep ending up with sub-par products. So the market is going to force this to crash, it's not making much money.

The new Bubsy game is 100% better than many of these SJW first games, an Accolade fought against them so they deserved my money, thank you Bubsy everyone was wrong about you. "What's the worst that could happen?" We should have listened to you, you brilliant bobcat with an exclamation point T-shirt.

Geki-D

Banned
Didn't know Anita Sarkeesian had coding skills?
So you're saying she's making all of these games or even has something to do in their development? You got receipts for this?

Go and YouTube Norway and how they handle their budget! You'll get a bit of what I'm saying!
So it's Norway's government financing all of these worldwide studios? That doesn't make any sense. I feel like you're dodging the question; what gouvernement is financing game & movie studios all around the world?

Phase

So you're saying she's making all of these games or even has something to do in their development? You got receipts for this?
Anita visits Bioware for Anthem

While not much substance, the only reason she would be there would be trying to push her agenda. There are also too many examples of devs trying to be "inclusive" by virtue signalling. Case in point Overwatch.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
lol Damn, she must work quick, making a whole game in one visit. So did she just appear one day and kick down Bioware's door or did they invite her? Where is the intent here and on whose side is it? So what, she shows up one day and uses her mind control powers to convert all of the game devs to her cause?
Also any other examples? Apparently she's actually making the games, because she's being brought up as someone who can't code in defence of me saying that the Anti-SJW talent-voids should learn to code and make games themselves (you know, a point that was used a lot against SJWs during GG). So what did she do on The Outer Worlds or the new Dontnod game? Or did SJW games actually stop with Anthem?

Also the Mirror's Edge thing was a nice conspiracy theory.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm surprised we haven't heard outrage that all the characters in Madden are men.

Or worse, the vast majority of the characters in NHL '19 are WHITE men.

Last edited:

nowhat

So I gave you the benefit of the doubt and watched the video (I don't follow that particular channel, but one of his other channels, "Biographics", I watch quite often and it's very enjoyable for history buffs). I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Yes, the Norwegian state-owned oil company has made a fuckton of money. Instead of going into a spending spree with it like most of Middle-East, they've invested the money globally. And like all investors, they can have their say in public shareholder meetings.

But you've absolutely failed to prove how the Norwegian government has added "them SJWs" into all media. If you'll give me a credible link showing how they've used their shareholder influence to affect any creative company I might take you more seriously. But that video proved no such thing.

So I gave you the benefit of the doubt and watched the video (I don't follow that particular channel, but one of his other channels, "Biographics", I watch quite often and it's very enjoyable for history buffs). I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Yes, the Norwegian state-owned oil company has made a fuckton of money. Instead of going into a spending spree with it like most of Middle-East, they've invested the money globally. And like all investors, they can have their say in public shareholder meetings.

But you've absolutely failed to prove how the Norwegian government has added "them SJWs" into all media. If you'll give me a credible link showing how they've used their shareholder influence to affect any creative company I might take you more seriously. But that video proved no such thing.
I gave u an example on how countries can have a say in gaming I didn't say Norway funds sjws

Geki-D

Banned
I gave u an example on how countries can have a say in gaming I didn't say Norway funds sjws
giphy.gif

You were asked to backup your original claim.

Phase

lol Damn, she must work quick, making a whole game in one visit. So did she just appear one day and kick down Bioware's door or did they invite her? Where is the intent here and on whose side is it? So what, she shows up one day and uses her mind control powers to convert all of the game devs to her cause?
Also any other examples? Apparently she's actually making the games, because she's being brought up as someone who can't code in defence of me saying that the Anti-SJW talent-voids should learn to code and make games themselves (you know, a point that was used a lot against SJWs during GG). So what did she do on The Outer Worlds or the new Dontnod game? Or did SJW games actually stop with Anthem?

Also the Mirror's Edge thing was a nice conspiracy theory.
Yeah I edited my post. Didn't think the links I originally attached were of substance so I changed them. But it's weird to me that you seem to not see or acknowledge what has been happening across all media. Anita is one of the worst cases of a person trying to force inclusion that you can find. None of it translates to a better product and at least in her case it is seen for what it is, hate.

This shoehorning of stuff is mostly divisive and not actually fostering inclusion.

Last edited:
I feel that having certain demographics represented in a show or media isnt necessarily sjw pandering. Look at daybreak on netflix for an example of diversity that doesnt seemed forced.

That said, most diversity seems forced atm. You can always tell when it is or isnt because the literal dialogue will point it out, having some character tell another "they dont need THEIR (usually a patriarch character) help" or whatever.

Like, sure. Sometimes. But sometimes, people also need help. And sometimes, a man might be better than a woman at things, and so on and so forth. The world doesnt run on affirmative action (yet) so, when our stories do, yes, it feels forced.

Real versions of diversity are great. Forced versions of diversity set back the goal of real diversity, usually causing more controversy than helping.

I wish more characters in media could just be black or a woman or gay and not have them be their entire definition or have to harp on and on about it. People are a ton of things, not just a hashtag or a social movement. Let me enjoy people for how varied they are, not how pigeonholed they are.

I fucking hate SJWs but this reads like a REE thread of people getting outraged for no reason. Just play other shit and don't even give that kind of stuff the time of day in your mind. There's more games out there than ever, there's plenty without an agenda to push.
Seriously, we have an entire 30-page thread on Anita and SJWs. It's mind-boggling that someone decided to create one complaining about SJW politics as though it were breaking news.

"Back in the days" I remember when most gamers discussed games on message boards or the silly console war, not reacting to feminists or other strangers on Twitter or Facebook or whatever.

Simply don't buy the games and don't give the SJWs any attention.

Last edited:

nowhat

Anita is one of the worst cases of a person trying to force inclusion that you can find. None of it translates to a better product and at least in her case it is seen for what it is, hate.
I don't care for her -she's entitled to her opinion, but I don't really agree with pretty much any example of "wrongness" that I've seen put out by her (I haven't watched her videos, just what's been reported). But a person X visiting studio Y doesn't mean that would have any real influence over a game.

...or wait. Kojima did visit Remedy. Control's plot starts off shoddy and goes really off the rails towards the end. Hmm....

Revas

Basically I'm black and African and never in my mind have I wanted to be James bond or portrayed in a film or any sort of media just for the sake of it, if I'm portrayed it better be on the artistic decision not political and this is what I hate. Plastic

How do you decide an "artistic" decision from a "political" one? Why does everything that deviates from the norm have to justify itself? They're just characters in a videogame. Someone before mentioned female Commanders in CoD, not only are there a fair amount of female flag officers in the military but CoD is such a ridiculous game - why let THAT bother you. It's like you're looking to piss yourself off.

A black James Bond would be pretty cool.

It's pretty neat that my comment was deleted for being "tasteless" but the message that literally states that "Africans and Muslims fuck up every culture they touch" is apparently fine.

Last edited:

Hudo

Basically I'm black and African and never in my mind have I wanted to be James bond or portrayed in a film or any sort of media just for the sake of it, if I'm portrayed it better be on the artistic decision not political and this is what I hate. Plastic
I actually kinda hope that Idris Elba is the next Bond. Dude is cool and could pull it off, IMHO.

But I agree with your sentiment.

Geki-D

Banned
But it's weird to me that you seem to not see or acknowledge what has been happening across all media. Anita is one of the worst cases of a person trying to force inclusion that you can find. None of it translates to a better product and at least in her case it is seen for what it is, hate.

This shoehorning of stuff is mostly divisive and not actually fostering inclusion.
Ok, so this doesn't actually pertain to anything I've said in this thread nor is it relevant to what you originally quoted. So with no actual examples of Anita using her lack of coding skills to make a game, and instead games being made by people who do actually work in the industry, have the appropriate skill set and choose what goes into those games, can we agree that responding with "Anita" was actually pretty stupid & irrelevant?

I've always said in this thread that if left leaning people want to put left leaning politics in their games then that's how the cookie crumbles because they're in the position to do that and if people want games to represent their right leaning politics, you know; LGBT people are degenerates, brown people are terrorists, black people are all low IQ criminals, Jews run the world... Whatever. Then they should get off their asses and learn to code.

Though I am interested in knowing just how gay characters existing in a game is political. Let's look at TLOU2, Ellie was established as being gay in 2014 and the fact Ellie is gay in TLOU2 is brought up a lot as the ultimate SJW "hur dur down our throats" thing. So when a character established as being gay 5 years ago, is shown to be gay... How is that political? Also how can a game actually have gay characters in it without it being seen as "SJW"?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really seeing it. Sure there are more games with some political topics/messages, but there are also more game overall. You can easily skip all those games and still have a full backlog..

Not every single game is meant for you

This right here. The OP is embarrassing.

At this point I'm convinced they are not interested in act of playing video games, I'm guessing they have a lot more fun being outraged more than playing games.
It certainly seems like it. Some western games are creatively boring but for people to say video games are ruined because of SJW politics or whatever is an overreaction seeing as there are so many games to play.

Probably the same people who complain about this stuff also think Japanese developed games aren't worth their time because they aren't as technically advanced as western games. People just needlessly close themselves off to all kinds of great games without realizing it.

Last edited:

Phase

Ok, so this doesn't actually pertain to anything I've said in this thread nor is it relevant to what you originally quoted. So with no actual examples of Anita using her lack of coding skills to make a game, and instead games being made by people who do actually work in the industry, have the appropriate skill set and choose what goes into those games, can we agree that responding with "Anita" was actually pretty stupid & irrelevant?

I've always said in this thread that if left leaning people want to put left leaning politics in their games then that's how the cookie crumbles because they're in the position to do that and if people want games to represent their right leaning politics, you know; LGBT people are degenerates, brown people are terrorists, black people are all low IQ criminals, Jews run the world... Whatever. Then they should get off their asses and learn to code.

Though I am interested in knowing just how gay characters existing in a game is political. Let's look at TLOU2, Ellie was established as being gay in 2014 and the fact Ellie is gay in TLOU2 is brought up a lot as the ultimate SJW "hur dur down our throats" thing. So when a character established as being gay 5 years ago, is shown to be gay... How is that political? Also how can a game actually have gay characters in it without it being seen as "SJW"?
I don't agree with a lot of arguments in this thread. Much of it is nonsense. I like TLOU and in that instance I consider it to be just good story telling. In another case, like Overwatch, you've got backstories being put out that have no reason to be there. It's virtue signalling and pandering in that case because it doesn't have anything to do with the gameplay. It's just bolted on.

People are allowed to put what they want in games, and people are allow to criticize it for whatever reasons they feel like. You don't need to be a coder and directly put a butch looking lesbian in a warpath into your game to influence it's development. Many companies (not just game companies) are hiring for "diversity" over skillset in today's world. It's not the end of the world or anything, it's just a reflection of our times and what beliefs people hold. But it does have an adverse affect on certain populations, so of course we will see push-back. I'm not sure what my end point is here, but I think many are just frustrated with the current trend in gaming and all media trying to be ultra-PC and inclusive, to a fault.

zeorhymer

Outer Worlds is turning me off. Pretty much every male NPC are either greedy, morons, or plain evil while the female NPCs are the brave, capable, and the moral ones. It showed on the first planet and I started to notice it once you got on Ground breaker and even on Monarch. Even your companions are like that. Vicar the psychopath and Felix the naive. The only one that felt natural is Nyoka.

Phase

Outer Worlds is turning me off. Pretty much every male NPC are either greedy, morons, or plain evil while the female NPCs are the brave, capable, and the moral ones. It showed on the first planet and I started to notice it once you got on Ground breaker and even on Monarch. Even your companions are like that. Vicar the psychopath and Felix the naive. The only one that felt natural is Nyoka.
Pretty good example of what a lot of people are frustrated with at the moment. I was pretty surprised and wasn't expecting that going into the game.

Last edited:
So after 4 pages the gist of the thread is:
8io56u97uuh31.jpg

Why the west don't make man shoulderd, string Bikini wearing, same face"women" like MK9.

hmcoeRf.jpg

REEEEEE MUSLIM KOMBAT BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!
Try thinking for your self for once, go outside for a bit, meet real people, stop /pol/, YouTube reactionary channels and REE.
Don't be another reactionary.

For me it's annoying if I already got attached to the previous games and a new woke sequel comes out. The Last of Us is probably the best example - it's one of the best games of the last decade imo and I've replayed it many times. I was excited when the sequel got announced, but that excitement didn't last very long and now I don't even plan on buying it, because I won't financially support the agenda it's trying to push.
I feeling your pain my bro... Same here...

And JOEL FTW...

bilderberg

So after 4 pages the gist of the thread is:
8io56u97uuh31.jpg

Why the west don't make man shoulderd, string Bikini wearing, same face"women" like MK9.

hmcoeRf.jpg

REEEEEE MUSLIM KOMBAT BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!
Try thinking for your self for once, go outside for a bit, meet real people, stop /pol/, YouTube reactionary channels and REE.
Don't be another reactionary.
this, but unironically

this, but unironically
Oh i assure you it's unironic, i'm tired of both sides really, both extremes are just as bad as each other, what gaming needs is balance.
I like ass & tities as much as the next guy, but i'm a 31 YO married man with a full time job, i just want to sit down and relax after work and play some video games!

Last edited:
Don't buy those games and they'll stop making them. But NOOOO, you all want to play TLoU2 and Mass Effect, so ofcourse they'll make such games since people give them money.

They don't care if you're dissapointed, they are getting both finances (by people buying games) and good publicity (media loves PC culture). We have the power to influence at least one of those two.

llien

I've really struggled to understand this issue, why is it pandering when a game has a diverse cast, but not pandering when it's a cast of good looking white people?

So, remind me, who is the target demographic and what they want to see?
Mostly men and boys, mostly white.
And, oh, dear, mostly heterosexual.
Whom do they want to see in games?

But then, we have an influential mob of enlightened people who know better, who use entire arsenal from tricking ("women are half of the gamers", sure thing) to smearing, if someone dares disagree. Remember how "Kingdom Come..." is a "racist" game?

bilderberg

Oh i assure you it's unironic, i'm tired of both sides really, both extremes are just as bad as each other, what gaming needs is balance.
I like ass & tities as much as the next guy, but i'm a 31 YO married man with a full time job, i just want to sit down and relax after work and play some video games!
I really don't think both extremes are just as bad. They started it, and i'm made to feel like i'm some misogynistic piece of shit because i'm not offended by scantily clad sexy women.

Katsura

I really don't think both extremes are just as bad. They started it, and i'm made to feel like i'm some misogynistic piece of shit because i'm not offended by scantily clad sexy women.
This. Anyone who claims both sides are equally bad is either a moron, intellectually dishonest or a regressive LARPing as a centrist

Top Bottom