• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalist Lies and Smears Former GoG Community Manager

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...projekt-employee-and-the-spectre-of-gamergate

On 22nd October, Polish game seller GOG - a part of CD Projekt - found itself in trouble again on Twitter. It had insensitively appropriated the trans civil rights hashtag WontBeErased. "Classic PC games #WontBeErased on our watch," it tweeted. "Yeah, how's that for some use of hashtags?"

GOG quickly deleted the tweet but not before the internet noticed, and a stink was kicked up. Not only was it a problem on its own, but it was the third problematic tweet in a handful of months from inside CD Projekt. Once is a mistake; three times?

A day after the #WontBeErased tweet, a response appeared, but it wasn't an apology. "Yesterday, we posted a tweet containing a trending hashtag as a pun," it said. "The tweet was neither intended as a malicious attack, nor as a comment to the ongoing social debate. GOG should focus only on games. We acknowledge that and we commit to it."

It didn't go down well, as Sean Halliday knew it wouldn't. The tweet had been his fault and he'd drafted his own apology as soon as the shitstorm had appeared. He's still got the draft, he tells me over Discord, and he shares it with me.

"A tweet was posted that included the hashtag 'WontBeErased'," it began. "The context of the hashtag was missed, which was a huge oversight on my behalf. After coming to understand the hashtag, and the importance of what it represents, the tweet was promptly deleted. Please allow me to apologise profusely for the offence the tweet caused. This was not the intention of the tweet by any means, nor was there any ill will intended.

"I empathise and strongly support LGBTQ folk from all walks of life. Video games are for everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexauilty, ability or religion. It's a mistake that has cost me an incredible amount. Everyone has the right to exist and live, it was a shameful mistake to make light of this. I will do better."

Check the link for the full story.

The author is a Resetera member/regular, funny he doesn't mention anything that is was them that doxed the guy.

"They found the details of my English home," Halliday says, "and my dad was ringing me, like, 'I'm getting phone calls from Americans' - I don't know if they were all Americans, he's not used to accents.

"My dad said one of them was just shouting 'bigot!' down the phone. He's a 64-year-old old-school Geordie, you can hear his age in his voice. Shouting 'bigot!' and 'you should be fired!' down the phone... He was confused as fuck."

Sean Halliday's new employer alleges Eurogamer is misrepresenting what Sean Halliday told them in the interview.

Kadayi

Banned
Not giving clicks to Eurogamer, but what the fuck is wrong with these people? If you're doxxing someone and then harassing their parents over a goddamn tweet of all things you need to seriously re-evaluate your life choices.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eurogamer has recently released an article to smear and push lies about Sean Halliday, the former "Good Old Games" community manager who was behind a few tweets that have ruffled certain folks jimmies. Sean Halliday is currently working as the community manager of "Exclusively Games" an independent/crowd funded gaming enthusiast website created by TheQuartering's Jeremy Hambly. The site's mission statement hopes to remove the needless politics from the hobby we all love.

The article can be found here: archive.is/Vj5WR

TheQuartering's response can be found below.

What are your thoughts? Concerns? Let us know below.

GrayChild

Sad to see Eurogamer becoming the next Polygon and Kotaku. It's been some time coming, but their transformation in a far-left media has been completed now.

zeorhymer

Meh. Only thing hashtags are for is to get people fired. It looks like he got fired for 2 tweets. One was for the #WontBeErased which was in reference for old video games that were to disappear because of being old or non support. I don't see any malice behind that because it seems to be pertinent to what GOG is about. I guess the appropriation of the tweet is what set off the whole thing. It's not like a ton of other shit has been appropriated and no one bats an eye.

The other one was for the gif on games journalist tombstone being peed on. This one is right on the money. The problem was that it was done on an official company stance. It shouldn't have been. If it was on his personal twitter, then there'd be no problem.

I'm glad that he got a job with Jeremy. His comments are pretty rational and level headed. It's people like Jason and Sam that fuck everything up and push their agendas to make static.

Grinchy

Banned
Sad to see Eurogamer becoming the next Polygon and Kotaku. It's been some time coming, but their transformation in a far-left media has been completed now.
Which is weird because it doesn't seem like it would be profitable for a videogame-centric site to cater to people who don't even actually play videogames, but then I wonder why so many are doing it. Maybe it's profitable after all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh. Only thing hashtags are for is to get people fired. It looks like he got fired for 2 tweets. One was for the #WontBeErased which was in reference for old video games that were to disappear because of being old or non support. I don't see any malice behind that because it seems to be pertinent to what GOG is about. I guess the appropriation of the tweet is what set off the whole thing. It's not like a ton of other shit has been appropriated and no one bats an eye.

The other one was for the gif on games journalist tombstone being peed on. This one is right on the money. The problem was that it was done on an official company stance. It shouldn't have been. If it was on his personal twitter, then there'd be no problem.

I'm glad that he got a job with Jeremy. His comments are pretty rational and level headed. It's people like Jason and Sam that fuck everything up and push their agendas to make static.

Funny thing, he literally asked the higher ups about the Postal 2 tweet and they gave the go ahead.

Aenima

This is why i only read Eurogamer.pt, its in my mother language, great amount of news articles about gaming, no politics bullshit.

Eurogamer.net has been trash tier for some years now with terrible articles, spoilery reviews, lots of click bait articles and outrage.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Which is weird because it doesn't seem like it would be profitable for a videogame-centric site to cater to people who don't even actually play videogames, but then I wonder why so many are doing it. Maybe it's profitable after all.

Most who play games now use content providers and other forms of stream media I would wager. Traditional games media is slowly going way of the dodo if they do not adapt to the cultural shifts. They then adapt their business model to the the political extremes that go viral faster than you can blink, and viola, newfound revenue from those who read and head nod with confirmation bias and forum/twitter triggering.

Last edited:
This shit right here:

untitledc4eog.png

...is disgusting, unprofessional, inflamatory, stinks of self-righteousness and will only attract those who already believe the message and don't need persuading (or proof). Those who are not True Believers will bounce off of it.
It's the equivalent of screeching leftists.

Right-wingers seem to believe that harsh words and abrasive imagery are strengthening an argument because inconvenient truths dropped on leftists (e.g. black people need black people bone marrow) produce the same surface reaction.

Humdinger

I like the idea behind Exclusively Games. I heard him talk about how gaming needs to be an enjoyable escape, and it struck a nerve with me. Although a lot of the stuff going on with SJW/PC politics gets on my nerves, I would like my time spent with gaming and on forums to be free of politics. I play games to enter an experience that takes me away from the real world, not reminds me of the most annoying parts of it.

Horns

Any other sources on this? It's a bit of a joke to attack a story with a Youtube video. Especially when it is politically loaded bullshit. Someone want to breakdown the issues with the claims or link to a legit source?

TheQuartering (Jeremy Hambly) is a scumbag. Literally. He harasses people online. Jokes about rape, see below. He's banned from some events. Picks fights with people in order to play victim.
mtg-manic-hypocrisy-12-27-17-8.jpg

Edit: Here's the original Eurogamer source https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...projekt-employee-and-the-spectre-of-gamergate

Last edited:

Cosmogony

This shit right here:

untitledc4eog.png

...is disgusting, unprofessional, inflamatory, stinks of self-righteousness and will only attract those who already believe the message and don't need persuading (or proof). Those who are not True Believers will bounce off of it.

Right-wingers seem to believe that harsh words and abrasive imagery are strengthening an argument because inconvenient truths dropped on leftists (e.g. black people need black people bone mfarrow) produce the same surface reaction.

So many words, not a single argument in sight.

On topic, I still have to make up my mind about how I'm going to tackle CDPR's mishandling of the situation. There doesn't seem to be any alternative to not paying full price for their next game. On one hand, I don't think their misconduct calls for a full opt-out, on the other a purchase at a discount seems too weak and self-serving a message.

And I harbour no illusions regarding the efficacy of individual actions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This shit right here:

untitledc4eog.png

Right-wingers seem to believe that harsh words and abrasive imagery are strengthening an argument because inconvenient truths dropped on leftists (e.g. black people need black people bone marrow) produce the same surface reaction.

This has nothing to do with right/left leaning. You are projecting that onto the issue at hand. The story is about purposeful misinterpretation/outright lies after an interview to push a very specific narrative. That has nothing to do with being right or left as both sides do it continuously.

Otherwise I agree that click-baity photos need to go. Just give a quick and dirty synopsis like YongYea does and it tends to work quite well.

Now that you finished complaining about a thumbnail, do you have any actual worthy discussion on the core topic?

Any other sources on this? It's a bit of a joke to attack a story with a Youtube video. Especially when it is politically loaded bullshit. Someone want to breakdown the issues with the claims or link to a legit source?

TheQuartering (Jeremy Hambly) is a scumbag. Literally. He harasses people online. Jokes about rape, see below. He's banned from some events. Picks fights with people in order to play victim.
mtg-manic-hypocrisy-12-27-17-8.jpg

Edit: Here's the original Eurogamer source https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...projekt-employee-and-the-spectre-of-gamergate

Seems like you are purposefully misinterpreting obvious jokes and trying to make a bigger deal out of very minor things or ignoring context. I honestly can't tell which at the moment. Looking at the past two months of tweets on both TheQuartering and MTGHeadquarters and I see nothing of what you claim.

Also being banned from some events doesn't really mean much. I mean Jordan Peterson has been banned from multiple events and that doesn't make him an awful person. Try a bit harder, mate.

Last edited:

Horns

Seems like you are purposefully misinterpreting obvious jokes and trying to make a bigger deal out of very minor things or ignoring context. I honestly can't tell which at the moment. Looking at the past two months of tweets on both TheQuartering and MTGHeadquarters and I see nothing of what you claim.

Also being banned from some events doesn't really mean much. I mean Jordan Peterson has been banned from multiple events and that doesn't make him an awful person. Try a bit harder, mate.

So you're not going to breakdown the lies and smears? You expect us to watch a 20 minute video from a questionable source?

Seems to me the OP needs a list of the issues with the article in order to have an actual worthy discussion on the topic, mate.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So you're not going to breakdown the lies and smears? You expect us to watch a 20 minute video from a questionable source?

Seems to me the OP needs a list of the issues with the article in order to have an actual worthy discussion on the topic, mate.

The video is available for you to watch as it explains it quite well. If you feel like you don't need to, then so be it. I am not expecting anyone to watch the video, just as I don't expect anyone to participate in the thread. You don't need to participate in the discussion if you don't want to.

You also have yet to provide anything that shows TheQuartering as a questionable source outside of your own personal feelings, hardly evidence to anything of merit.

Lucumo

One was for the #WontBeErased which was in reference for old video games that were to disappear because of being old or non support. I don't see any malice behind that because it seems to be pertinent to what GOG is about. I guess the appropriation of the tweet is what set off the whole thing. It's not like a ton of other shit has been appropriated and no one bats an eye.
Additionally, it's pretty narcissistic to think the rest of the world knows about what's currently going on in the US.

Horns

The video is available for you to watch as it explains it quite well. If you feel like you don't need to, then so be it. I am not expecting anyone to watch the video, just as I don't expect anyone to participate in the thread. You don't need to participate in the discussion if you don't want to.

You also have yet to provide anything that shows TheQuartering as a questionable source outside of your own personal feelings, hardly evidence to anything of merit.

If the video "explains it quite well" then it should be simple to list the lies. I'm all for integrity so if this article is what is being claimed then negative attention should be brought to it. Please post them so we can have discourse.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Setting aside the community manager's behavior...

This kind of "journalism" from Eurogamer is garbage. Like, the sort of crap they put on reality TV for bored homemakers.

Who cares about how a particular staffer acted from a particular company on Twitter? Who cares so much that they smear them after already being fired? If you care, you're retarded (and you're the type to be offended by the term, which is why I used it). Whether you're the "journalist" who picks up the story and gives it attention or the reader who gives the "journalist" revenue by supporting those sort of stories, you're retarded.

You are the videogamer equivalent of someone who watches Desperate Housewives and Jersey Shore and TMZ. There is no surer evidence that you've been lobotomized when you care more about fake gaming drama instead of actual gaming news.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, the Eurogamer author is a Resetera regular, he knows it was them that doxed Sean Halliday and his parents. Fails to mention anyting of it. If this so called “journalist” hides the truth to protect his friends, abd push his narative, what else is he capable of.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Setting aside the community manager's behavior...

This kind of "journalism" is garbage. Like, the sort of crap they put on reality TV for bored homemakers.

Who cares about how a particular staffer acted from a particular company on Twitter? Who cares so much that they smear them after already being fired? If you care, you're retarded (and you're the type to be offended by the term, which is why I used it). Whether you're the "journalist" who picks up the story and gives it attention or the reader who gives the "journalist" revenue by supporting those sort of stories, you're retarded.

You are the videogamer equivalent of someone who watches Desperate Housewives and Jersey Shore and TMZ. There is no surer evidence that you've been lobotomized when you care more about fake gaming drama instead of actual gaming news.

Sorry DunDun, who are you referring to with this post? I am a wee bit confused.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As I said in the other thread, the Eurogamer author is a Resetera regular, he knows it was them that doxed Sean Halliday and his parents. Fails to mention anyting of it. If this so called “journalist” hides the truth to protect his friends, abd push his narative, what else is he capable of.

Ethics in (gaming) "journalism", duh!

El_Belmondo

I was... writing a piece about this. Seeing the direction the thread has taken since the start i don't think it's really worth it.

There's still one thing i want to say, tho. I followed this thing since the start, i dunno if it was the CM or GoG themselves, but i'm pretty sure two of those three tweets were intentional, wich doesn't paint the guy in a good light, and for those asking why that matters, well... When you work for a company you are the face of that company, moreso if you're a CM.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was... writing a piece about this. Seeing the direction the thread has taken since the start i don't think it's really worth it.

There's still one thing i want to say, tho. I followed this thing since the start, i dunno if it was the CM or GoG themselves, but i'm pretty sure two of those three tweets were intentional, wich doesn't paint the guy in a good light, and for those asking why that matters, well... When you work for a company you are the face of that company, moreso if you're a CM.

How so? The use of the hashtag was completely valid and was contextually sound. The only people who got angry were overly sensitive kids who couldn't understand simple context. No one group owns a hashtag. As for the Portal 2 tweet, it was an apt joke that (once again) a handful of loud children got offended over. It was also cleared by the higher ups at GoG prior to it being posted.

El_Belmondo

How so? The use of the hashtag was completely valid and was contextually sound. The only people who got angry were overly sensitive kids who couldn't understand simple context. No one group owns a hashtag. As for the Portal 2 tweet, it was an apt joke that (once again) a handful of loud children got offended over. It was also cleared by the higher ups at GoG prior to it being posted.

Sorry man but i find really hard to believe that one person can make the same mistake three times. I concede the tombstone one, because that's actually too obscure and only gaters and anti-gaters could identify it, but the other two, and specially the last one with the snarky comment at the end are just too fishy.

And then there are the attacks to Eurogamer themselves. Agreeing with them or not, some comments (if not the majority) here in the thread are ridiculously dismissive for a site that produces and features some of the best content in videogames media.

Makes me think that is not the press who have a politics issue but the people themselves. In my opinion, it's something worth discussing because the rotten smell of Gamergate is still lingering in the air and this guy, or GOG if you prefer, turned on the wrong fan three times. And Gamergate is the worst thing ever happened to gaming for a long time. No one wants to smell its stench again.

And then again, i can't help but to notice the poetic irony of a community who mocks people for being easily triggered, actually being easily triggered by an article about something that happened some time ago already.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sorry man but i find really hard to believe that one person can make the same mistake three times. I concede the tombstone one, because that's actually too obscure and only gaters and anti-gaters could identify it, but the other two, and specially the last one with the snarky comment at the end are just too fishy.

There is hardly any sort of "mistake" here. People looking to be offended found a target to be offended by. Innocuous tweets and messages are being misconstrued as "offensive" everyday.

And then there are the attacks to Eurogamer themselves. Agreeing with them or not, some comments (if not the majority) here in the thread are ridiculously dismissive for a site that produces and features some of the best content in videogames media.

Eurogamer.net is by no means a paragon of of videogames media like you try to portray. They are as tripe as IGN, Kotaku, Polygon, or Waypoint. This is only the most recent example of their growing list of failures.

I listed two of the more infamous examples being in the spoilers below.

In the infamous Doritosgate scandal, Eurogamer censored an editorial calling for stricter ethics in game journalism after being threatened with a lawsuit by Lauren Wainwright, a journalist mentioned in the article. While the original article made no accusation towards Wainwright—only suggested she was opening herself to accusations of a conflict of interest with publisher Square-Enix with her behavior—it turned out, after the scandal was publicized, that this conflict of interest very much existed, and Wainwright had lied about it. The column’s writer, Rab Florence, either resigned or was firedfrom Eurogamer due to the article, with Florence himself saying the threatened lawsuit had forced him out of a job, but having kind words for Tom Bramwell, who had writted the Eurogamer editorial explaining the censorship, where he had praised Florence and claimed he had faced heavy criticism for publishing his column.

Their extremely negative review of MMORPG Darkfall Online was hit by heavy controversy when the game’s developer publicly called out the review, stating that the game’s logs showed the reviewer had only spent 2 hours playing the game. While confirming the veridicity of the logs, Eurogamer claimed the logs were wrong, and could have been doctored—the dev refuting this possibility—and, after two months, released a second, still-negative, exhaustive review which was punctured with discussion of the backlash, implication that the original review was legitimate and that Darkfall’s fans were being unappeasable. Although who is telling the truth between Eurogamer and Darkfall’s dev remains, to an extent, up to debate, what is objectively true is that the original review manged to cram an impressive number of factual inaccuracies in its very short text, and that its author, contributor Ed Zitron, never wrote for Eurogamer again.

Makes me think that is not the press who have a politics issue but the people themselves. In my opinion, it's something worth discussing because the rotten smell of Gamergate is still lingering in the air and this guy, or GOG if you prefer, turned on the wrong fan three times. And Gamergate is the worst thing ever happened to gaming for a long time. No one wants to smell its stench again.

It is clear you did not watch the video. Sean Halliday had no interest or involvement within GamerGate. And GamerGate being the "worst thing to ever happen to gaming" is a hyperbolic comment to end all hyperbolic comments. Good lord, mate.

And then again, i can't help but to notice the poetic irony of a community who mocks people for being easily triggered, actually being easily triggered by an article about something that happened some time ago already.

I don't see people here triggered. You shouldn't project on others, unless I am misunderstanding what you meant with that statement.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL. I love Twitter conflicts.

Here's a tip for all you social media lovers thinking the world needs to know everything you do.

1. Facebook. Make an account and share with friends and family. Keep in touch and share fun moments.

2. Linked In. Make an account for sake of helping your career. It keeps you connected with people and with recruiters that help you score jobs down the road.

3. Avoid all the other junk.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

First of all, he wasn't responsible for 3 tweets, it was just the Postal2 Tombstone, and the #wewillnotbeerased thing.

The middle one was done by someone on CDPR's side, whereas this guy worked for GoG.

This is important when you look at the title of the Eurogamer piece, as they explicitly cite him as being a CDPR employee, thus linking him with the middle tweet purely on the basis of corporate ownership,. not through any proven action on his part.

Very dubious. As the result is misapprehension of his culpability as in your claim.

Then there is the matter of the way the "long pause before answering" when challenging him over his affiliation with GG., makes it sound conversational, when in fact the interview was done via text. That's a pretty subtle perceptual trick to create a false narrative. Not nice.

Tripolygon

Banned
This is like getting fired by GOG for using their Twitter to post incentive jokes then getting hired by a dipshit who spends his time ranting about SJW on YouTube and getting into twitter fights with people, because clearly that'll show em that I'm not an incentive prick. Eurogamer has more ethos than that dipshit youtuber.

Tripolygon

Banned
First of all, he wasn't responsible for 3 tweets, it was just the Postal2 Tombstone, and the #wewillnotbeerased thing.

The middle one was done by someone on CDPR's side, whereas this guy worked for GoG.

This is important when you look at the title of the Eurogamer piece, as they explicitly cite him as being a CDPR employee, thus linking him with the middle tweet purely on the basis of corporate ownership,. not through any proven action on his part.
The title is fine. They deep dive into the incident in detail clearly state which tweet was and wasn't his.

The function of the title is to grab attention and inform the "reader" which apparently some people aren't, what the article is about. Furthermore, the article does not read as a smearjob, but giving account of the incident in a semi interview way. Using lots of qoutes. In fact, to me, it reads like an article that allowed Sean to tell his side of what happened and his life following his termination. If your argument hinges on the title then you have lost the plot because the article is fairly detailed.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Looking at the comment count, it’s their most popular article in months. Seems almost inevitable that controversial, loaded & sensationalist reporting will be the norm for Eurogamer. Sad.

LOL. I love Twitter conflicts.

Here's a tip for all you social media lovers thinking the world needs to know everything you do.

1. Facebook. Make an account and share with friends and family. Keep in touch and share fun moments.

2. Linked In. Make an account for sake of helping your career. It keeps you connected with people and with recruiters that help you score jobs down the road.

3. Avoid all the other junk.

Meh, I have no social media and I do just fine. Not even Linked In.

I will say I heard through the grapevine that HR thought it was odd, but it's really none of their business to know more about me than what was on my resume.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meh, I have no social media and I do just fine. Not even Linked In.

I will say I heard through the grapevine that HR thought it was odd, but it's really none of their business to know more about me than what was on my resume.
And amazingly, some people don't think HR scours social sites of job candidates to determine if the person is worth calling for an interview or not.

And amazingly, some people don't think HR scours social sites of job candidates to determine if the person is worth calling for an interview or not.

I'd worked for the company for three years as an intern/independent contractor when I got hired. They even paid me to travel to other sites for projects (one of which had me living in a hotel for 8 months). I still travel a good portion of the year.

But even when I was brought on as an intern they didn't care about my social media AFAIK.

fucking gross. these people are legitimately bad human beings but try and cover it up because "they are fighting the good fight against tyranny". there is truth to where they are bad people and this whole ideology lets them do bad things to people but they get away with it because they are on the right side. i hate this kind of behavior and it needs to be called out always

ROMhack

Par for the course. Eurogamer is one of the few sites in my block list and I find it a massive shame because it used to be my most visited game website.

They've been running on empty for a few years now; first promoting more and more video content, and then churning out a lot of SEO heavy content (e.g. they went really heavy on Sea of Thieves articles prior to release). You can see that in this article because it's a pointless feud, trying to make a bigger deal out of something, presumably for clicks. It's just wildly unimportant and their editorial style comes across as smug, not intelligent. It's petty drama written as a soap opera.

Sometimes Google throws up old articles and you sense a lot of passion from people who used to write for them.

No longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom