• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games that made you give up

I am about 3 and a half seconds from putting aside God of War permanently.Those spiked pillars in Hades are making lose my sanity slowly.I think whats needed is a nice longggg vacation and maybe pick this up in a few months or so,so I can forget that craptastic part!

oldschoolpinball said:
I am about 3 and a half seconds from putting aside God of War permanently.Those spiked pillars in Hades are making lose my sanity slowly.I think whats needed is a nice longggg vacation and maybe pick this up in a few months or so,so I can forget that craptastic part!

Moto GP 06. Very very very early on.

brigadeer

MotoGP 3. Never been that good or a racer really, but damn, I can't even finish a race it seems.

I officially give up.

oldschoolpinball said:
I don't know, people constantly complain about this part but I don't remember it taking it more than 20 minutes or so for me. Just takes patience, but then I have problems with parts of games that everyone else thinks is easy so.

There have been a few RPGs where I get to a really late boss, find I'm ridiculously underpowered, don't feel like leveling up and just say **** it, maybe pick it up again or start over in a few months.

WalkMan

Banned
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I'll come back to it after I finish Digital Devil Saga though. Oh and Star Ocean: TOE, I realized that most of the game will be medieval so I gave up.

Javaman

Pretty much any game that has a difficulty spike after several hours of running smoothly. If I have to try a section 3 or 4 times I usually give up and play something else. It may only be a small difficult area that I would be able to plow through over time, but I can't help but think that the rest of the game is going to be just as difficult or frustrating.

Kabouter

Oh and Nibiru was awful.
The puzzles weren't too hard.
But once you hit that sundial.
OH MY ****ING GOD.
It was impossible.
After about 3 hours of trying, I wiped the game from my harddrive. Even though I probably wasn't more than half an hour from finishing it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fire emblem sacred stones. i got to the end dude and he killed all of my dudes with 1 hit, turns out I gave the strong weapons out to shitty people or something, I tried reading a faq but all of a sudden that shit was like a maths test. urgh.

Also F-zero GX, I maintain that I would have eventually done it but I had to sell the cube.

djkimothy

I remember how annoying that part was, took me 30 minutes to get past it. Then with my second run through, took me 2 minutes! :lol

Once you get the pattern in your head it's not that bad. Though the game can ue less of it.

Geo Wars! Ugh, I'm getting real close to just shelving this one. I seem to be regressing with this game the more I play. My high score is 300k with 200-250K being my old norm. I've now dropped my norm by more than 100K and breaking the 150k mark seems to be my new high mark. Freaking pathetic!

ibu

Metroid Prime all that stupid ass backtracking put me right off... I found the game dull personally.

Zillion for the SMS someone bought me this I don't remember who it was but if I ever do im gonna end up doing life tossing someones salad!!!

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Ready, Steady, Go on Hard.

After probably 2 nights straight of trying the same song I couldn't beat it. I had friends bugging me to play it too so I decided to let it go.... :(

TeTr1C

Kingdom Hearts. I just lost interest and had NO ****ING IDEA where to go after the Jungle. :lol I didn't care to look either.

Just stick it out with the spike part of GoW, that's what I did. I got extremely pissed. Then the next day I just picked it up and on the first try I did it all. Getting mad only makes me do worse.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i gave up on getting master ranking on all the cups in F-Zero GX. i just can't do it. it frustrates me to know those AX cups are something I'll never get to play.

3rdman

MDK2 on a Dreamcast controller...I swear I must have "quit" on that game more than any other. Especially the "jet pack over insta-death acid pool"

*shudder*

I beat it but it literally took me months.

TeTr1C

sonarrat said:
Too many. I stopped playing Super Ghouls & Ghosts after 15 minutes of nonstop game over screens.

Oh, I know how that feels. That game, when I was young, made me angrier than anything in the world. I really haven't tried to play though it since. :lol I'll end up murdering someone near.

Acosta

Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. I give up quite a lot game but normally because I have other 100 games to play. But the final battle of this one was a nightmare and I decide stop trying.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
earthbound :( gave up when I couldn't beat Frank? at the arcade... he is like the first boss! :mad: Is there anyway to repletish your PP in EB?

Luckett_X

Banned
- Ocarina of Time: Water Temple. Just... wasn't having any fun at all anymore, thus I stop playing a game.

- Wind Waker: Triforce hunt. As above, if a game becomes a chore theres no real reason for me to be playing it for 'leisure'.

- DQVIII: battle system just... bored me to tears. Grinding in it just felt too much like a chore again.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
batmfail7wk.jpg

JB1981

oldschoolpinball said:

Oh man, wait 'til you get near the end and you have to fight your way through a horde of harpies on that revolving floor with the spinning spikes and flaming walls. I had to drop the game to easy just to beat that bit. I played it a while ago so I don't remember the name of the level, but if you get to that part with half health and no magic, you will be ****ed like I was.

Brobzoid

JB1981 said:
Oh man, wait 'til you get near the end and you have to fight your way through a horde of harpies on that revolving floor with the spinning spikes and flaming walls. I had to drop the game to easy just to beat that bit. I played it a while ago so I don't remember the name of the level, but if you get to that part with half health and no magic, you will be ****ed like I was.

ohh, that part was seriously no fun at all. I cried out for fun, but he had gone away :(

the pillar climbing was easy though I spent two days beating the final boss >:|

Zenith

Banned
Prince of Persai Warrior Within- worst sequel ever.

GRAW pc- it's just trial and error and error and error. my teammates barely know how to walk. and god help you if you pick the wrong weapon beforehand.

threeball

Banned
Brobzoid said:
earthbound :( gave up when I couldn't beat Frank? at the arcade... he is like the first boss! :mad: Is there anyway to repletish your PP in EB?

Magic Butterflies, Bottled Water, PSI Caramel, Magic Truffle, and Brainfood Lunch, although all of those except the Magic Butterflies aren't avaliable until later in the game. The Magic Butterflies are found anywhere, flying around. That means you are going to have to rest up in the hotels to replenish your PP conserve your PSI wisely.. although Frank isn't too hard, people can beat him at just level 2. He is cake at about level 6.

And I quit Earthbound in the middle also, when you control Jeff at Snow Wood, but because Spring Break was over and I had to give up the SNES! I got it back during Christmas break and beat the game... and its one of the very few RPGs I like. I think its because I don't like RPGs set back in the middle ages and such.

Sonic Rush : the two lasts special stages. Oh God... I just finished them today thanks to the "Pause Trick", but without that, it's very, very difficult (especially the very last).

Metroid Prime 2 : i finished it anyway, but some bosses were just...not fair...

Saga Frontier 2 : No comments. I just suck at this game. Didn't even bother to finish it, though it's a pretty good game anyway.

OatmealMu

Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers

The first strike against it was when the enemy AI constantly ran by my fireteams' position on a particular section of a particular level. The game didn't seem to care that another team was giving cover fire. For close to an hour I struggled with one of my fireteams getting annihilated by guys running by them and lighting up their asses. Bullshit. Strike two was when I came across an enemy spawn point that I couldn't destroy. It was protected by a nice invisible wall. Bullshit. Strike three came when my dipshit grenadier shot the piece of cover he was hiding behind for the 50th effing time. Bull-effing-shit!

Virtua Fighter 4

I'm just really bad at fighters.

Luckett_X

Banned
Oh, I forgot Viewtiful Joe from my list.

One day a Capcom game will refrain from the predictable "haha, here are all the bosses again... in sequence!" game-prolonging tactic.

Ninja Gaiden.

The camera and I had a rocky relationship. I learned to live with it, but I didn't see the point of pretending that I was actually enjoying myself. Got to Chapter 9 and quit when I had to jump over the lazers from those stupid mini helicopters.

I really should try to finish it one day...

Edit: Oh, how could I forget? World of Warcraft. Uggg.

Brobzoid

threeball said:
Magic Butterflies, Bottled Water, PSI Caramel, Magic Truffle, and Brainfood Lunch, although all of those except the Magic Butterflies aren't avaliable until later in the game. The Magic Butterflies are found anywhere, flying around. That means you are going to have to rest up in the hotels to replenish your PP conserve your PSI wisely.. although Frank isn't too hard, people can beat him at just level 2. He is cake at about level 6.

And I quit Earthbound in the middle also, when you control Jeff at Snow Wood, but because Spring Break was over and I had to give up the SNES! I got it back during Christmas break and beat the game... and its one of the very few RPGs I like. I think its because I don't like RPGs set back in the middle ages and such.

I tried to get a room at the hotel, but I only have $1 :( and I haven't seen any butterflies or anything fancy yet... How can I get money fast?

Brobzoid

Luckett_X said:

One day a Capcom game will refrain from the predictable "haha, here are all the bosses again... in sequence!" game-prolonging tactic.

no, they won't. never... NEVAR!

LakeEarth

NFS:MW - the cop chasing AI gets stupidly near-impossible to beat, magically spawning around you, jump on you on any mistake you make, crowd around you while the hit detection makes it impossible to get out despite the fact that there's a hole big enough to sneak through. On top of this, all the races against streetracers, and time trial stuff are beyond easy. But you have to do the cop stuff to get the races.

F-Zero GX - wait what, there were character endings? What the hell :lol

blahness

Archie said:
i have been there many many times but have not yet given up... just taking long breaks

artful_dodger said:
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Ready, Steady, Go on Hard.

After probably 2 nights straight of trying the same song I couldn't beat it. I had friends bugging me to play it too so I decided to let it go.... :(

I bet you will beat this soon after you get it back. Taking breaks usually helps me

The one i have given up on is Wind Waker... i cant take any more fuking water or sailing

threeball

Banned
Brobzoid said:
I tried to get a room at the hotel, but I only have $1 :( and I haven't seen any butterflies or anything fancy yet... How can I get money fast?

Defeating enemies is how you get money. Later in the game you get so much money its no longer an issue. Running away from enemies gets you no money. You withdraw money from the ATM, and call your dad to see how much he deposited

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. I'm on the last boss, which probably isn't really that hard with practice, but having to fight 2 bosses before him, and his first attack pattern which are easy, but take FOREVER, then getting my ass kicked on the 2nd attack patten and having to do everything all over again... Meh. I doubt the ending is worth it.

Edit: The last boss in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is getting to me too, but I haven't given up yet. The whole game was a total cakewalk, but now I'm getting my ass handed to me by this guy. Very stressful.

Kuran

Banned
Mario & Luigi RPG: Partners in Time on DS

The last boss-fight...

OVERKILL, unless I'm underlevelled/equipped, but seriously...

Too bad, I really loved the game! But this is too frustrating..

I was tempted to give up on Urban Reign recently. I made it to level 15 or so and had hit a wall with the Karate guy Kadonishi(or something like that). I must have tried the same fight for an hour. Luckily I decided to start a new game yesterday, I chose different categories to put my stat points into and I beat the guy in the first try. Now I am stuck at level 67 or so. I've only tried it a few times, I'm not ready to give up yet. Urban Reign rocks, every time I play it I see new moves and the fighting is so good, they really need to make a full beat 'em up with the fighting system.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ikaruga - As much as I love that game I completely suck at it.

F-Zero GX -When I first purchased it I couldn't do anything. I'd memorize the tracks and everything but I'd still end up retiring on easy. I put it aside for a few months. I picked it up again only to discover that I had somehow magically become quite good in my downtime. Only a few levels proved to be much of a challenge after that. Namely Story mode chapters 4 (Very Hard), 7 (Hard...Very Hard didn't seem any harder than Hard. Beat it first try), 8 (Very Hard) and 9 just because my clumsy ass kept falling off.

Luckett_X said:

Oh man forgot about Viewtiful Joe...But it wasn't the boss gauntlet that made me give up...It was Fire Leo at the end. Cheap ass boss...

Danj

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden. I must have tried dozens of times but I just couldn't manage to kill Turn X within the 13-turn time limit. Finally I just gave up and moved on to Alpha 2, which I still need to finish one of these days.

Zenith

Banned
Alien vs Predator- too scary. every time I got to the 3rd level on the Predator's campaign where you meet the first aliens I just couldn't go any further.

Top Bottom