• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games that made you give up

Darknoc

Battletoads%201.jpg

The hover bike part was hard enough but I just cannot beat the unibike part where you have to constantly switch directions.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Darknoc said:
Battletoads%201.jpg

The hover bike part was hard enough but I just cannot beat the unibike part where you have to constantly switch directions.
Battletoads is disqualified from this conversation. That game made EVERYBODY give up.

LakeEarth

I think Battletoads is one of the few games out there that even after you beat it a dozen times, its still hard to beat.

Cherubae

Disgaea :( Everyone says it's such a great game, but I got tired of getting beat up in the Item World. It takes sooo long to level up characters as well.

Got to chapter 2, met the blond assassin, and haven't picked it up since :'( Too hard....

Tr4nce

I think I've given up on only one game yet, and thas has to be an 'Addam's Family' game for NES. Oh God, the mazes. They made me sick and tired.

bluemax

Banned
The Mighty Schwein said:

I tried cheat devices and even they couldn't stop Xenogears from being abysmal to play.

I'd also like to add F-Zero GX to my list, the third or so level of story mode just gave me fits. GP mode was a bit more bearable though.

I got to the final level on both Viewtiful Joe games before giving up.

Also Ninja Gaiden 1 on NES so many evil sections :-(

Link1110

Metal Gear Solid -
Ninja
without the goggles
Metal Gear Solid 2 -
Rays
without the body armor
Final Fantasy X - Random battles in the last dungeon
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories -
Final Riku
Star Ocean 3 - First time: Hated the Hauler, Second time: Got sick of the SLOW battle system
Lunar 1 (PS, GBA) - Last boss is too hard
Langrisser 1/Warsong - 5th mission, the one with the mountain in the middle
All the Megaman Battle Network games at some point
Suikoden 2 - I was so underlevelled I couldn't survive for a few rounds in the rigged battle against [spoilerNeclord[/spoiler] in the Tinto cave
Dragon Quest 5 - The stupid boss lava monsters in the volcano.
Xenogears - Sewer Horror got on my nerves, I hate complicated sewer dungeons

Varuna

The final stages in Megaman & Bass. The rest of the game is incredibly easy for a megaman game, but they more than make up for it during the ridiculous three part final level. When you die, you're back on floor one.

The saving system was poop too.

WalkMan

Banned
Cherubae said:
Disgaea :( Everyone says it's such a great game, but I got tired of getting beat up in the Item World. It takes sooo long to level up characters as well.

Got to chapter 2, met the blond assassin, and haven't picked it up since :'( Too hard....
Chapter 5 level 3 is a powerleveling map... I went from lvl 15 -> lvl 56 in an hour.

Baker

Banned
Any stealth game (Splinter Cell, Hitman, etc). Played them all and the tedium of "stealth" in video games makes me not even finish the first levels.

daemonic

Banned
Scrow said:
i gave up on getting master ranking on all the cups in F-Zero GX. i just can't do it. it frustrates me to know those AX cups are something I'll never get to play.

I feel the same way about Super Monkey Ball. I'll never get to see the insane levels of Master Mode. Damn you AV.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
perplexcity said:
Any stealth game (Splinter Cell, Hitman, etc). Played them all and the tedium of "stealth" in video games makes me not even finish the first levels.

Stealth games require a relatively high level of skill before you can really have fun with them. Otherwise, too many people fall into the trap of continual saving/reloading to brute force their way past tricky parts.

Take the time to plan out your actions carefully; scout out enemy movements, use the tools available to you, don't take too many risks, and think ahead. You'll have a lot more fun with stealth genre.

3rdman said:
MDK2 on a Dreamcast controller...I swear I must have "quit" on that game more than any other. Especially the "jet pack over insta-death acid pool"

*shudder*

I beat it but it literally took me months.

:D i remember the difficulty of some their levels were insane.... the hardest IMO was figuring out the awkward puzzles for Kurt's Stage 7

try killing the final boss using Max... LOL hard!!

Cherubae

WalkMan said:
Chapter 5 level 3 is a powerleveling map... I went from lvl 15 -> lvl 56 in an hour.

Ya, but I have to level up to get to chapter 5 :( The prince-fellow was around level 9 when I stopped playing at the end of chapter 1 with the extra work I put into him.

I must not have understood the details of the game very well. I could never really understand the geospheres and their matching color squares, and the Item world just frustrated me to no bounds.

Kobiekun

Jive Turkey said:
But it wasn't the boss gauntlet that made me give up...It was Fire Leo at the end. Cheap ass boss...

I gave up on Viewtiful Joe twice. On my third time through when I finally met up with Fire Leo, it took me 3 hours but I finally beat that S.O.B. The levels after Leo were a cakewalk.

I'm playing Link's Awakening right now, and have been tempted to give up a few times. Each and every time however, I have an epiphany of sorts that keeps me going.

OatmealMu

Cherubae said:
Ya, but I have to level up to get to chapter 5 :( The prince-fellow was around level 9 when I stopped playing at the end of chapter 1 with the extra work I put into him.

I must not have understood the details of the game very well. I could never really understand the geospheres and their matching color squares, and the Item world just frustrated me to no bounds.

TBH, I never bothered much with Geospheres. I beat the game just fine. Oh, a word of advice: Ninjas are AWESOME in Disgaea. When leveled up enough, virtually nothing can hit them. I found my ninja to be vital in the Item World. Just place him at a choke point, watch as enemies constantly miss him, and use ranged attacks with your offensive characters.

Sagitario

Donkey Kong 64, the Mario Bros. arcade... I could never beat it :( ...

Pac-Manc World 2, stupid camera in lava levels... =|

bill0527

Devil May Cry 3. (not the SE version)

I gave up after only an hour or two into the game. There was a big boss fight where you had to kill these twin statue thingies ( memory is hazy, so bear with me). I couldn't beat them and I got frustrated having to play 15-20 minutes worth of level just to get back to those bosses...only to have them hand me my ass time and time again. Had there been a save point anywhere close to that boss fight, I would have probably kept playing.

Ranger X

Link1110 said:
Metal Gear Solid -
Ninja
without the goggles
Metal Gear Solid 2 -
Rays
without the body armor
Final Fantasy X - Random battles in the last dungeon
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories -
Final Riku
Star Ocean 3 - First time: Hated the Hauler, Second time: Got sick of the SLOW battle system
Lunar 1 (PS, GBA) - Last boss is too hard
Langrisser 1/Warsong - 5th mission, the one with the mountain in the middle
All the Megaman Battle Network games at some point
Suikoden 2 - I was so underlevelled I couldn't survive for a few rounds in the rigged battle against [spoilerNeclord[/spoiler] in the Tinto cave
Dragon Quest 5 - The stupid boss lava monsters in the volcano.
Xenogears - Sewer Horror got on my nerves, I hate complicated sewer dungeons

How can you be underlevelled in a Suikoden???
Lunar 1 end boss can be killed only using the dragons (basically).
I don't have a good souvenir about those Metal Gear situations but i don't remember any battle i absolutely needed googles (except MGS3). I'm sure i'd have a easy stratefy for you on those.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sonic Rush : the two lasts special stages. Oh God... I just finished them today thanks to the "Pause Trick", but without that, it's very, very difficult (especially the very last).
Ohhh, that last one is a bitch. I managed to finish them all, but that last one took a lot of patience. What was the pause trick, though? I just kept grinding my way through until I finally made it.

Stealth games require a relatively high level of skill before you can really have fun with them. Otherwise, too many people fall into the trap of continual saving/reloading to brute force their way past tricky parts.
Yep, that's stealth for ya. I actually love most stealth games, but if you are unskilled at them, you're in for one hell of a frustrating time. This is why I think so many people dislike them...

As for games I've quit, well, anything with the past few years with heavy random encounters. I absolutely detest random encounters and refuse to play any games with them. I tried to give SMT3 a chance, though, and walked away from it after just a few hours. The concept really appealed, but the amount of battles drove me insane.

Jason

Alundra (couldn't figure out the last puzzle to get to the boss)
Valkyrie Profile (hardest difficulty, probably should have started on normal :lol)
Dragon Warrior/Quest 7 & 8 (got tired of grinding)

Baker

Banned
Chairman Yang said:

Take the time to plan out your actions carefully; scout out enemy movements, use the tools available to you, don't take too many risks, and think ahead. You'll have a lot more fun with stealth genre.

That's why I don't like stealth games. I don't have ADD or anything, but I find it boring as shit to stand in the shadows for 3 minutes while these NPCs talk to each other before I can kill one. Just not my cup of tea.

temp

posting on contract only
Ninja Gaiden, when I got to the bridge with the guy on the horse. That was, what, the second level?

mrwilt

Ninja Gaiden
Thunderforce III
M.U.S.H.A.

Many a controller bounced off the walls and floor with those three games. I was very inmature then. :lol

mug

I found Ninja Gaiden somewhat complicated but never gave up and finished the game. Ninja Gaiden II on the other hand was a ****ing bitch! As well as Battletoads being a bitch slap experience.

Lo-Volt

Fight Night Round 3: graphics were wonderful, the game just got meh for me. I couldn't keep up in career mode, and I didn't want to after it felt like the control scheme was falling apart.

GRAW: I couldn't never get a handle on this game, even though I enjoyed it. After the third level, I was just getting ambushed too much to spend time on it.

GT4: oh, please.

Kingdom Hearts: I had to level up to finish the Hercules world thing or whatever. I had other things in mind.

SpokkX

Kingdom Hearts - really crappy game, quit at about 60%, couldn´t stand more
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - crappy game and hard end boss
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - half ok game and hard end boss

pj

Banned
sanbone.jpg

On masters, I stand no chance against them. I can deal with red and yellow, mostly, but when the blue one comes up, I'm just TOAST. I can only get them to about half health when I'm really in the zone.

Animal

Banned
***ing zeld OoT in the water temple while i was back in high school...i stopped playing the game for a good month cauz i was going crazy.

Maya

oldschoolpinball said:
I am about 3 and a half seconds from putting aside God of War permanently.Those spiked pillars in Hades are making lose my sanity slowly.I think whats needed is a nice longggg vacation and maybe pick this up in a few months or so,so I can forget that craptastic part!

Wow, I was just there a week ago. I feel your pain. You'll get through it though. And the ending is damn fun, so don't give up.

Amir0x

Banned
Darknoc said:
Battletoads%201.jpg

I came into this thread to post this, but years later i came back and finally conquered this game so I don't know if it counts anymore

Top Bottom