• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games that made you give up

X26

Banned
Silent Hill 1 - Game became too nerve racking/scary for me (at the time), so I put it away and didn't end up playing it again for months

Axelay - Couldn't beat this one firey boss, no matter how hard I tried, and gave up on the game

The Getaway - game became more and more like a chore and I gave up on it

Burnout 3 - Last grand prix, where you use F1 cars. Rubberband physics make it next to impossible

terrene

Banned
I took some long breaks from MGS3 when I got to a couple of those boss fights, but I always picked it up again (the game is just too good).

FFX-2, though, I quit at 40% or so. Good lord what a train wreck that game was.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ninja Gaiden - Alma - just couldn't take the camera angles constantly shifting, realized I wasn't having much fun with the game, so I stopped... and went and played the old ones some more

Suikoden 3 - Thomas' chapter. The game seemed dull, didn't like the combat system and the constant backtracking.

Zenith

Banned
Alt.S said:
G-Police when I was 10. I just couldn't understand how to beat the second (or maybe third) mission.

that's one of my favourite games. the very first game to let you drive round a 3D city (you unlocked cars+tanks at the end). can't imagine what you got stuck on, I guess if you missed what an objective said it's hard to know what to do. make sure you get the PC version, on a technical level it's above G-Police 2 on the PSX.

KingJ2002

ridge racer 6... going for the no nitrous / no crash victories achievement

i didnt give up based on the difficulty... i gave up because its just so boring.

im going to get 900/1000 achievement points in the game and then sell it off. RR6 turned out to be a very boring game in the long run. I really do regret not putting in more time with PGR 3.

bjork

Zelda games usually start strong for me, but then I lose interest about 2 hours in and never finish them. Other than the NES/SNES ones, anyway.

Orgen

Dimmuxx said:
Last boss in FF:CC.

Brrr... I'm in a long break (6 months) with this game because I couldn't beat that bastard and I don't want to "level-up". (repeating dungeons? **** you Square Enix :lol)

Some day...

_Angelus_

Banned
Shinobi for the PS2. Till I got ahold of a GameShark.:)

Oblivion,I'm too weak sauce. The scope of the game was too much for me,where it left me wondering around way too much. I guess I'm geared more towards action rpgs that have a faster pace behind them.

Jasoco

Banned
Futurama - Xbox: Zoidberg gets one ****ing level in the whole game and it has to suck so much lobster alien ass. Whyy? (Also, side note, Why is it Wind Waker and Kingdom Hearts can look so awesome like cartoons, but these games - Futurama and Simpsons - actually based on cartoons look like crap? Remake them plz!)

Metroid Prime - Cube: Last boss. For one thing, I have to climb that damned body type room to get to the final boss all the while avoiding the impossible changing Metroids.

Metroid Prime 2 - Cube: That damned three headed worm. IMPOSSIBLE! Sad, I was enjoying the game too. And will probably wuss out and get 3 just because.

Animal Crossing - Cube version: I dunno. It seemed too much work to boot it up and play on a TV. AC seems more like an on-the-go type game which is why the DS version rocks. The DS one I can play for hours. The Cube one though is just too much work.

Halo - Xbox: The game has a terrible bug that causes the game to NOT save when you finish the LIBRARY. So I'll spend an hour beating the damned level ready to take a break from the game. Save aand leave. Come back later and.. IT DIDN'T SAVE! I HAVE TO DO THE LIBRARY AGAIN! **** Halo.

Halo 2 - Xbox: Leave the "play as the aliens" out of the next game for god's sakes. I play to be Master Chief. NOT THE ****ING ALIENS!

Conker - Xbox: WAR! The tower with the machine gun that you need the tank for. WTF? IMPOSSIBLE! I'll never get to the Matrix levels at this rate. I give up.

Vexx - Xbox: Dammit. I loved the damn game. It felt 95% like Mario 64 before I got Sunshine. I loved every minute of it. Even the last world. But the final boss canNOT be beaten at any rate EVER in a million years. I can't get one hit on him! I got almost all the heart pieces and end up getting stuck at the end. WTF?

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - GBA: While I haven't shelved it for good yet, I am still working on the final boss. I have a problem with finishing RPG's. The final bosses are usuallyy too much for me. And the leveling to get high enough to take them on is too much wasted time to justify trying. So I give up.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - DS: The damn flying saucer before the final boss. Passed the "Point of no return". (Another pet peeve. BG&E did this. Why do games have this? A point where you can't go back ever once you pass and save. STOP PUTTING THEM IN, GAME DEVELOPERS!) So I haven't saved there yet. And at this rate I'll never get to meet the final boss.

warthog

About the only game I ever regretted giving up on was Resident Evil : Code Veronica. I was really enjoying the game till I got to the point that I had to fight this boss in a plane (forgot his name). I was low on ammo and I just couldn't defeat the bastard. I kept trying for days till I couldn't handle it anymore and sold the game.
I probably could have started all over again and try not too waste too much ammo, but starting over when I'm being sucked into the story of the game is just something I can't do.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
warthog said:
About the only game I ever regretted giving up on was Resident Evil : Code Veronica. I was really enjoying the game till I got to the point that I had to fight this boss in a plane (forgot his name). I was low on ammo and I just couldn't defeat the bastard. I kept trying for days till I couldn't handle it anymore and sold the game.
I probably could have started all over again and try not too waste too much ammo, but starting over when I'm being sucked into the story of the game is just something I can't do.

great game.

too bad i'll never be able to enjoy it again, thanks to RE4 :(

Sagitario

Jasoco said:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - DS: The damn flying saucer before the final boss. Passed the "Point of no return". (Another pet peeve. BG&E did this. Why do games have this? A point where you can't go back ever once you pass and save. STOP PUTTING THEM IN, GAME DEVELOPERS!) So I haven't saved there yet. And at this rate I'll never get to meet the final boss.

Don't worry... you can go back... the suitcase
uses a time machine or something so you can return to the time just before you found Peach

Shadow of the Beast. I need SOME direction in my action games. :(

F-Zero GX. I can honestly say I'm not good enough at racing games to give this one the attention it deserves.

I apparently can't play RTS games for shit, either.

Metroid Prime and Prime 2 - stuck in a level in both.

Xenogears - stuck with Deus, because I lack some items/armor required to defeat him.

Star Fox Adventures - stuck in the raptors/aligator minigame where you have to move your stick a lot, with timing involved.

Grug

Ninja Gaiden, ****ing hell its hard.

And Ikaruga, I played it a couple of times and just laughed at it, its retardedly hard, I'd never get even remotely good at it so I dont bother. Looks nice on my shelf.

Johnas

I tried to finish Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts with cheats, and still couldn't beat it. :lol

Ikaruga is pretty brutal, but I haven't played it much. I mean to give it a serious shot sometime soon.

thehighlight said:
God of War? That's just sad.

Ninja Gaiden? Understandable, but still easy.

what can i say,im a pretty impatient gamer these days.With the game of life taking most of my time,gaming is a very close secondary thing to me:)

Tarazet

Ancestor said:
I tried to finish Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts with cheats, and still couldn't beat it. :lol

Ikaruga is pretty brutal, but I haven't played it much. I mean to give it a serious shot sometime soon.

I don't even know what the second level of Ikaruga looks like, and I played 5 hours to unlock the first gallery.

Johnas

sonarrat said:
I don't even know what the second level of Ikaruga looks like, and I played 5 hours to unlock the first gallery.

I made it to the third level, but it was extremely sloppy and fairly unsatisfying play. There's an FAQ on how to play through the entire game flawlessly, it's the most intimidating thing ever.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Im on the Final level of GX story mode. When ive got time to take it seriously I dont think it will take me too long.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
****ing NFS:MW!! Man, I can't see how you guys/gals did it. That game just burns my hide, and I only made it through like #6 on the Black List. Maybe I picked the wrong car... Anyway, I hate that game and it's cheating AI.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Suikoden 3 - I gave up on this long ago. Got pretty far and then stopped at a point where it was impossible for me to continue cause the exp gains were way to low and the monsters way to strong.

Space Channel 5 - :( I like the game but my rhythm for it sucks.

Xenosaga - I gave up on this for a year after I'd bought it cause its just to hard!! But I did eventually manage to beat it after soooooooooo much grinding that I never wanted to play again, and haven't.

Wario Ware Twisted! - Love the game but I'll never gold trophy the Wario Mamba game.

Jasoco

Banned
Farore said:
Don't worry... you can go back... the suitcase
uses a time machine or something so you can return to the time just before you found Peach
Then why would it jump out Navi-style yelling "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO KEEP GOING? YOU CAN'T COME BACK IF YOU SAVE YOUR PROGRESS! POINT OF NO RETURN LOLOLZORZZZ!!!!"

Either way, if I ever DO beat the saucers I'll hapilly save as long as there's enough enemies to level up with in that locked off portion. I HATE games that lock you in a room with a final boss and no way to level up more. Walk in and save with too little power and you're boned.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Final Fantasy Legend 2. Accidently wiped the game save the first time, tried to replay it years later, and Apollo stopped me cold. (Where I was when I wiped the save the first time around.)

Hot Shots Golf FORE!

I sucked so much at that game. Damn near broke my PS2 it pissed me off so much. I just remember the difficulty went from easy to impossible within the first 4 challenges or something... :(

...strangely, I dominate in Hot Shots Open Tee (PSP). Hopefully the PS3 Hot Shots is more like the PSP one.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Ready, Steady, Go on Hard.

After probably 2 nights straight of trying the same song I couldn't beat it. I had friends bugging me to play it too so I decided to let it go.... :(

I've been playing on and off for 5 months on that stage and finally beat it last week. You just have to maintain your combo until near the end. Keep going, it'll feel great once you finally beat it :)

I have a bad habit of giving up on RPGs. Gave up on the last dungeon of FF6, 3rd disc of FF9, 3rd disc of PDS, last dungeon of Xenogears, etc.

I gave up on the KOF2001 boss. Insane.

For most other games, I don't give up out of frustration/defeat, but rather lose interest. Especially with current gen games. I have very little tolerance for filler content.

Metroid Prime 2
F-Zero GX (sorta)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Xenogears
Minish Cap

PIKMIN

Whichever NES TMNT game had the ****ing underwater mines

Bloodwake

I quit Majora's Mask out of sheer disappointment at the fact it wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time... and I hated the time bullshit.

mikeGFG

Banned
Dragon Quest VIII. **** nostalgia, the game is too archaic. But the seemingly endless series of fetchquests on the second continent finally did me in.

Vagrant Story. I loved the battle mechanics and weapon creation but the game's pacing was so shitty. I couldn't bring myself to fight another gauntlet of back-to-back, highly overpowered bosses.

FF VIII. I got to the final area of the game but I was just so turned off by the unbalanced draw system, arbitrary flashblacks and overall premise of the game.
Witches? Time Compression? Ugh.

Amir0x

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:
Vagrant Story. I loved the battle mechanics and weapon creation but the game's pacing was so shitty. I couldn't bring myself to fight another gauntlet of back-to-back, highly overpowered bosses.

protip: every boss is easy if you have the right weapon :D

Metroid prime, tried 6-7 times from the same save but always get stuck in a room full of phazon radiation and dies down in the phazon mines... I still try now and then but always end up in that godawful room...

stonedwal

Aside from every simulation racing game I've tried, there's only a few I've given up on recently. Trauma Center - the last level is complete and utter bullshit, and totally ruined all of the positive experience I'd had with the previous levels. Wario Ware Twisted - cannot stand that Wario Mumbo bullshit - I just can't get it right no matter how much I try.

Top Bottom