• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that no one has played on NeoGAF except you

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Original, Launch Graal Online

edit: Hard to find a pick of actual launch graal sadly

And if you did by chance play back then..you probably knew (of) me..

Linkhero1

220px-BoxArtSuperEDF.jpg

I even made a remix of one of its tracks!

Pretty sure people in the SNES thread played it. I almost pulled the trigger and bought it off eBay a few months ago.

Played it and immensely enjoyed it - The only negative was your pilots degrading over time iirc...

I was pretty young when I played it and remember being perpetually weirded out that you'd periodically need to "terminate" your own pilots. They had very intricate death animations, IIRC.

lol it's the username of one of the forum moderators on gaf.

Do not google this, you will likely be disappointed. I meant a moderator lol: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65603536&postcount=606

wow completely misinterpreted that lol

Yeah his bio shares the same feeling I have

zeliard is a great game

Music starts to seep into your soul though

It really is that intense for lack of a better word, don't feel comfortable calling it annoying

Musolf815

Mata Nui Online Game?

Maybe the worst game I've ever played, Pulse Racer. I couldn't make it through five minutes without quitting.

idQEHsj.jpg

Although I'm not sure really anyone "plays" this. It's pretty much a glorified two-part episode of The Next Generation, except you've got Q who is amazing, and the Borg, which is a great combination.

qko

breakthru-box-art-front.jpg

Every time I hear someone mention BreakThru I get all like "Hey I played that game too!" Only to find out they are referring to the Araknoid clone.

Played Missionforce Cyberstorm all the time back in the day.

Anyone played Endorfun?

Hahah, yeah, I remember this. "I feel joyful now."

I have yet to meet another soul who has played Millenia: Altered Destinies.

OY9FYnF.jpg

Here's one, friend. I loved that game, remember getting stuck in a loop or something after a while, couldn't figure out how to solve it. Pretty awesome concept, too.

I've played the Russian version of The Void (Turgor).
the_void_cover.jpg

By the way, there's a DOS game I've been looking for forever, didn't occur to me that GAF might have a topic for this kind of thing. Does it?

Nalsh

Many others have probably played it, but I'm thinking there aren't a ton of other people here who have 100%'ed this game.

Picross_3D_Cover.jpg

Air's Adventure for the Sega Saturn. Without a doubt the absolute worst JRPG I have played in my life. It has horrible looking pre-rendered graphics that animate very poorly. I would love to hear about another gaffer experiencing the horrors of this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlbZ8D7ckM Skip to 4:30 to see the atrocious combat.

And damn, I really need to find another free photo hosting site besides photobucket because my bandwidth is all used up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Back to skool on the Spectrum which was, if I remember correctly, the sequel to Skool Daze.

I've played both as well as the Klass of 99 remake for DOS.

I wrote a review/recommendation at one point:
LoIEyY4.png

Skool Daze, designed by David Reidy and released by Microsphere in 1985 for the ZX Spectrum, is widely considered to be one of the classics of the platform. Unfortunately, its four-colour graphics, shrill sounds, and the lack of a port to any modern system or architecture have prevented a generation of gamers from discovering it, and who can blame them? Thankfully, in 1999 an enterprising programmer named Richard Jordan released a somewhat-more modern remake of the game, entitled Klass of '99. The remake was released for DOS, Windows, and later as a homebrew GBA ROM ported by Martin Eyre.

Although few have played this game, it serves as a proof of concept for many themes and mechanics found in many popular later games. Amongst its many great ideas that remain in use today are a realistic in-game clock, stealth and enemy lines of sight, and emergent AI behaviour, but the game also served as one of the first games to use school as a setting—perhaps inspiring Rockstar's modern classic Bully—and one of the first games to make use of horizontal scrolling single-screen high maps, a technique later used by SEGA in their popular Arcade and Genesis release Bonanza Bros.

In Skool Daze, your character Eric is on the verge of being expelled from school due to chronic troublemaking. In order to prevent this, he will have to steal his report card from the teachers' safe. The safe has a letter combination, each letter of which is held by a separate teacher and can only be obtained by hitting them with a slingshot. Finally, in order to get the teachers to cough up their letter, Eric must hit every shield crest on the wall with his hand or his slingshot. Of course, complications occur; some shields are too high to reach by jumping or shooting with the slingshot, and so Eric will have to use other students as human stepping stones (or in Klass of '99, bounce slingshot pebbles off teachers heads!). Making matters worse, one of the teachers is so old and forgetful that he cannot remember his combination letter and an alternate method needs to be found to retrieve it.

llZphjLl.png

Naturally, though, life goes on around Eric while he works on these tasks. The game is broken up day-by-day. Each day requires Eric to attend mandatory school functions; spending lunch in the lunch room, attending different classes at different times, leaving at the end of the day. If the player is particularly crafty, Eric can skip class or otherwise sneak around the school, but the teacher AI is very aggressive and the punishment for getting caught breaking the rules is harsh.

There are many rules to be broken. Being late for class, failing to sit down during class (of course some classrooms have too few seats resulting in an emergent AI glitch where fellow students beat Eric up and steal his seat while he gets punished by teahcers for not sitting down), hitting a fellow student or teacher, sitting on the ground, using the slingshot, jumping, entering the teachers' lounge or school office, amongst other offences, will result in teachers giving out lines to Eric.

Each offence has a punishment varying between 100 and 800 lines apparently at random, although this gives the illusion of certain teachers being more lenient than others and reinforces the characterization of the game. Accumulating 10,000 lines will result in Eric being expelled. Making the game particularly grueling is the fact that Eric can be given lines for no reason at all—if the school nerd tells a teacher Eric has hit him, it's quite likely Eric is going to get in trouble whether it is true or not. If another teacher hits Eric with a slingshot pebble and knocks him over, Eric will probably get lines for lying around on the floor. School is hell. Of course, Eric will only be punished if he is caught and exploiting teachers line of sight or breaking the rules when they aren't around at all is a key game skill.

Skool Daze is about working towards your goals and avoiding getting caught breaking the rules, but it's also about the mundane periods where Eric is stuck in class, listening to a teacher ask idiotic grade school questions. How many words are there in the English language? When was the Battle of Tours? What is the capital of Indonesia? This creates a sense of anxiety and dread in the player—when will the bell ring so I can go get that last shield? Am I going to be able to get it without a teacher seeing me? Man, this class is lasting forever. Is the nerd who answers every question ever going to shut up? The game's script, such as it is, is pretty comical as well.

Although the remake drops this feature, the original game lends itself very well to a sort of score attack competition. Not only is it a challenge to finish the game with as few lines as possible, Eric is also awarded points for making other students receive lines. Points or not, it is eminently satisfying when a teacher blames Einstein, the school nerd, or Angelface, the school bully, for an errant slingshot pebble fired by Eric.

Skool Daze harkens from an era of tight, self-contained, short, arcade-style games and it's absolutely a golden example of those design values right down to some pretty awkward controls and poorly defined, tutorial-free main objectives that force the player to figure out what the actual point of the game is, but by incorporating intelligent, driven artificial intelligence and a fairly large-in game map that makes use of horizontal scrolling, the game design holds up even today.

The game can be finished in about an hour, although it is quite replayable. Both the GBA homebrew ROM and the DOS/Windows versions of Klass of '99 are freeware and available online at http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/rjordan/klass/.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can't believe the first post had Battlezone. Was a great game.

I would guess... Thrill Kill? It was an unreleased playstation 1 game. Played it as part of an anti-counterfeiting operation I was involved in for work.

RESCUE Rover, I think you'll find.

My mistake

It's been quite a while on that game

Great game though

I take it you've played it then :D

I played a bunch of DOS games when I was little as my dad was a software programmer and was really into PCs at the time

I'm sure I've played some DOS games that are far more uncommon but damn if I know the name of them

Rescue Rover and Zeliard were the pinnacle of DOS games for me

Cth

I'd say Modem Wars for c64, but I remember one other person posting it last month.

He was probably the other person I was playing against back in the day.

I can't think of anything I've played that was that obscure. Best I can do is this stupid flash game I spent most of my college IT class playing called Nanaca Crash:

http://www.square-go.com/data/articlesdata/99/99_image_1

Basically you decide the angle and power with which you get him by some girl on a bike, then you try and stay it motion as long as possible to set distance records. It might be my favourite game. Also it's flash.

Come on, at least link the mirror that actually bothered to update to the latest version (rather than hacking the old version to work with modern Flash versions).

Also, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I played it and knew a lot of famous community people (Fuitad, OwL Shimy, etc) but didn't participate much in the community.

Amazing..lol. Yes, then you definitely knew of us, but I won't get more specific other than I used to coordinate stupid shit with Owl on the phone. That was so long ago. =(

But if you ever came to the official or Spider's IRC..we definitely came across each other. Pretty weird when you think about it.

Top Bottom