• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that ooze style (other than Persona 5)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LIST THREADS ARE BAD. THIS IS NOT A LIST THREAD. POST SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL.

Persona 5 has the snazziest UI and aesthetics I've probably EVER seen in a game. If you took a shot every time a review called the game "stylish," you'd probably die.

isPEjtO.gif

bWzhgy6.gif

Vo03z6h.gif

3058380-adieu.gif

I think it's the only game where I've felt amazed just walking down the street, or looking at a classroom, simply because of how the camera angles and lighting are designed to make everything look so flashy.

tumblr_nuuajyC9e11udimtao4_r1_500.gif

Are there any other games that come close to P5's style? What other games have cohesive visual design, great UI, a unique soundtrack, or an overall sense of "cool" to them?

My answer is Sonic. The Sonic franchise in general has generally sold itself on style. Sonic is "cool" and Sonic is "fast," and each game builds on this overall concept in a way that bleeds through into the gameplay and presentation. I think my favorite example of this is the Adventure series' soundtracks, which took a unique, "hip" approach that still stands out to this day. Sure, it may have been a sort of "faux-hipness," in a way that was sort of like that one Steve Buscemi gif,

4b2.gif

but even despite this it managed to transcend that fact and be unironically memorable in its own way. I still remember Pumpkin Hill very vividly, and it's not because it was a well designed or memorable level. It's because of Hunnid-P's rap music.

Edit: Guess it's cool to hate on Sonic. I still stand by the statement that it defines the franchise, though.

dugdug

Banned
It came out the same day, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but, Drawn to Death is stylish as fuck.

TissueBox

Persona's always had pretty cool UI, that said playing Persona 5 reeeally made me want to play the Sly Cooper series again lol -- a lot of similar motifs, and I also love their punchy comic book style.

Are there any other games that come close to P5's style? What other games have cohesive visual design, great UI, a unique soundtrack, or an overall sense of "cool" to them?

My answer is Sonic. The Sonic franchise in general has generally sold itself on style. Sonic is "cool" and Sonic is "fast," and each game builds on this overall concept...

G0EXD.gif

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It expresses its style in a different way, but I thought Splatoon had a ton of it. The way all the NPCs are dressed and designed, the music, the fictional clothing brands, the hub, the concerts...it had a really strong sense of culture that bled into many aspects of the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Say what you will about how Sonic has been received, but it emphasizes its style above else. Whether you like it or not is a different matter. I think Brittany Spears is trash, but she definitely has style too.

Mesoian

Splatoon, 100%.

It's pretty amazing how effectively they mix Harajuku style with Nickelodeon Neon with traditional Japanese trappings.

I just hope they go even further with the style of Splatoon 2. I want 300% more fashion squids in my game.

Say what you will about how Sonic has been received, but it emphasizes its style above else. Whether you like it or not is a different matter. I think Brittany Spears is trash, but she definitely has style too.

I mean, sure. I think people want to at least try and keep their suggestions to stylish and good though.

FF13 has CRAZY style, but that game is still awful.

Menitta

There's Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Not quite on the same level as P5 but it's definitely up there in terms of style.

Spinluck

P5 is the best ever in that department.

Sonic Generations was really nice too (the menus and install aesthetic and hub).

andymcc

Banned
Almost every Shin Megami Tensei game tbh.

Some others:
-Splatoon
-Mirror's Edge
-Jet Set Radio
-Devil May Cry
-Parappa
-any of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fighting games (esp. All-Star Battle)

LifEndz

Would you consider Infamous Second Son as "stylish"? Or maybe I'm conflating style with impressive visuals.

Mesoian

OH, the Wonderful 101 is dripping with style. Pitch shifted Sentai super heroes, 101 individual heroes that all look awesome regardless of how silly their gimmick is, it's such a cool game.

Would you consider Infamous Second Son as "stylish"? Or maybe I'm conflating style with impressive visuals.

I think Fetch's standalone has more style than actual infamous or infamous 2. There's a whole lot of infamous 1 and 2 that just feel like generic brown open world, but Fetch's story is all about neon and bright colors and light streaks. It pops a lot more.

SolVanderlyn

The World Ends With You:

QNuf7aJ.png

Distinctive and cool style, which naturally extends to its music.
This is a good one. It was also an acquired taste for me. I hated the super-skinny characters and noisy music at first, but it grew on me the more I played the game. By the end of the game I was completely enamored with it.

The World Ends With You
Viewtiful Joe
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
No More Heroes
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Splatoon
Okami
Sunset Overdrive
Guilty Gear Xrd

Character-wise a couple of games probably exist, but I still need to find one with such amazing menus. Goddamn they are pure perfection.

One Wipeout game came close though.

LotusHD

Banned
If Persona 5 didn't exist, Gravity Rush 2 would've "won" this year for me personally imo, at least regarding the UI

Has its own niche with its whole comic book panel thing, its beautiful UI, and its crazy lively world, characters, etc. all look amazing:

cvyH13i.png

giphy.gif

wSEMsgu.gif

1y7qr0.gif

Also, ya can't beat having gravity powers.

Top Bottom