• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that really shine at higher difficulties?

IKSTUGA

Phantasy Star Online's Ultimate difficulty is so cool, because it changes most of the enemies and environments. Just non-stop intense fights and sick item drops. Love it.

I only played Dishonored on the hardest difficulty and it was perfectly balanced, maybe even easy at times. Perhaps it's harder on lethal playthrough with head to head combat, but for a stealthy run it felt just fine.

Dragon Quest XI is perfect example. Only on Draconian harder enemies mode can you really see how great its combat and overall this game is. If you think AAA turn-based is dead, think again. Worst part of the game was when it ended, wanted it to go on forever.

zettacroix

Neo Member
Every game is better on the hardest difficulty with the exception of games with AI that cheats to win.
I thought so aswell, until I started my first god of war (2018) playthrough on "Give me God of War". That frustrated me beyond my breaking point.

I like a tough challenge anywhere I can find it, but especially in games where the protagonist is supposed to be weak I highly enjoy higher difficulties. Horizon Zero Dawn, for example. Of course you won't take down a giant mecha dinosaur with a bow at ease!

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Old Battlefield, because I can't really say for the newer ones.
But BF3 in hardcore mode was so much more better in some ways. Less hud, no minimap, friendly fire on, etc. You had to learn to be tactically strategic to survive rather than just run and gun.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I regret starting Ghosts of Tsushima on Hard. On one hand it's really too easy, but on the other I'm wondering if it ever gets harder. I'm taking my time with the game. I'm only at the beginning of act 2.

foxdvd

Mass Effect 2 and 3. Keeps you on your toes, but does not make it so that battles take that much longer, just makes you take your time, plan your attacks and use your skills. Really makes the games SO much better. Even the more recent Mass Effect game, even with all the flaws, becomes so much better on the highest difficulty.

Other games make enemies sponges on higher difficulties and I hate it.

Aesius

I have played some open world RPG's on higher difficulties, with level scaling when possible (Wither 3, Fallout 4 and Skyrim) and really found them to be much more enjoyable that way.
Wandering around in a world where nothing threatens me, is boring. I want to feel a little fear when I see a monster in the distance and know that I have to be careful when fighting them.
If Nier: Automata had level scaling, I'd have invested waaaay more time into it.
2B looked great, the combat system had some real depth and the environments were fun to explore. At higher levels though, if you breathe on the giant robots, they just fall to pieces. Boring! I want a challenge.

Fallout 4 in Survival mode is leaps and bounds better than any of the standard difficulties. Of course, the immersion still eventually breaks once your character has sufficiently upgraded weapons/armor and a huge stockpile of supplies, but I think the first 30-40 hours of it are incredible. You have to really consider whether it's worth getting into a firefight with even 1-2 Raiders because there's a chance you'll die and lose a lot of progress or end up crippled and forced to use some precious healing items.

Dr_Salt

Fallout 4 in Survival mode is leaps and bounds better than any of the standard difficulties. Of course, the immersion still eventually breaks once your character has sufficiently upgraded weapons/armor and a huge stockpile of supplies, but I think the first 30-40 hours of it are incredible. You have to really consider whether it's worth getting into a firefight with even 1-2 Raiders because there's a chance you'll die and lose a lot of progress or end up crippled and forced to use some precious healing items.

Yep, kinda reminded me of the original fallout games where you could die at any moment.

Killzone 2 is a good shout with a difficulty bump. On normal it can have it's moments with some skirmishes, but for the most part you can play in a reactive way when combating the AI. Bump up the difficulty changes things around. Now you have to make good use of the cover mechanic whilst flanking and flushing the Helghast out. You can't just sit behind some sandbags firing off the odd headshot anymore as the AI will flush you out if you don't move. Can get pretty gruelling on occasion, but probably fits the game better.

God Hand. Because if you're good enough to keep it at the highest difficulty (adaptive), you're already having a glorious time.

QS58D.gif

Excuse me while I dragon kick your ass into the Milky Way.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a difficulty you have to maintain.

Your ideas are intruiging to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

H4ze

StarCraft I + II

Will never forget how I finished all parts of SC2 on the highest difficulty, jesus the last missions where so damn hard, but soooo satisfying once you cleared them all.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I found GoT best on Hard.

Hitman 2 on Professional

Skyrim on higher difficulties

Most FPS on second highest difficulty

Shifty1897

The Witcher 3's combat is definitely improved when you have to study an enemy and prepare yourself properly before engaging them.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Halo on Legendary, especially 4 where we finally get to see John's full face. I think for H2, H3 and maybe CE I've only done Heroic runs though. Can't hang with the hateful Flood on legendary.

Deus Ex - always on 'give me Deus Ex' LOVE the combat and the stealth in those games.

WRPGs I usually do on the hardest difficulty unless it has some stupid penalty like no fast travel.

Most other games I do on normal unless the gameplay and combat is really great, otherwise it's like just get through it.

Edit: Just saw someone mention Bioshock - definitely great on the hardest difficult I really like the gameplay and combat in that game too.

Last edited:

Cryio

Doom 3 : best played on Hard or higher
HL2: Hard
Black Mesa: Hard
Crysis 1/2/3: most enjoyable on Very Hard
FEAR : You're not playing the game in real time due to slow motion, so might as well play on highest difficulty
FEAR 2: It's ridiculously easy on all difficulties
Splinter Cell: highest difficulty is the way to play this franchise
Thief franchise: highest difficulty for all objectives and max loot required
Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Two Thrones: Hard makes the combat shine
Dead Space: Hard is the defacto difficulty for this franchise IMO
RAGE 1: Ridiculously easy overall
Far Cry 2/3/Blood Dragon: max difficulty feels the most fair

Devil May Cry: higher difficulties become enjoyable once you master the mechanics on Normal I'd say

Wolfenstein New Order / Old Blood / New Colossus: I'd say Hard is the sweet combination between run and gun AND just slightly challenging. While you can make these games harder, you lose the ability to run and gun.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

Every Sony exclusive in recent years.
You really get enhanced experiences on higher difficulties with their games.

K2D

Banned
I'm playing Zelda BotW on master quest with some self imposed rules (not doing towers until absolutely nessecary ie) and I really want make a rant on how much fucking better it is playing this time around. It's even scratching my fallout/elderscrolls-itch, which is a praise I wouldn't think I'd give. It's as if it was meant to be played that way all along, which is wierd, because Master mode is payed dlc.

Made BotW one of my best games this decade.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Comsic Star Heroin

It is a joke on the easiest setting and the fights are nearly like a puzzle on the highest setting.

It is meant to be played on hard.

Top Bottom