• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that took you too long to realize they suck.

wolywood

Alan Wake. I got to about episode 3 before I realized that the core gameplay - run from spotlight to spotlight through dark scary woods, dodge/shoot bullet sponge enemies, rinse, repeat - was never going to change or improve. Kept playing just to see the story, and even that wasn't anything special; certainly not the Twin Peaks of video games it was hyped up to be.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I actually got to the point where it opens up before I quit. I don’t remember what exactly it was, whether I had stopped caring by that point and just never went back or whether the corridor approach for the vast majority of the game was an insult and to open up there was futile. Either way, I remember nothing of the story and I am only left with the memory of it being a bad game.
Same. Everyone and their mother kept saying it gets better once you reach the open world part so I rushed to get their hoping it would.

The second I got to that part, and realised I'm still playing a game whose story I dont enjoy, and a battle system that i dont enjoy, and that now all the open world monsters are overpowered than me because I rushed through to get there: I was out.

Haven't touched it since.

It annoys me how 2 FF games in a row (FF13/FFXV) that I felt so annoyed by how shitty of a direction the series is taking.

FFXV angered me once I beat it because I realised i got conned into buying an incomplete game, and even more so when the DLCs came and the updates that allowed you to play as the other characters in the game many months later.

Fuck that game.

Cyberpunk gets a mention as well.

Loved the game, beat all missions and side missions, but now that I have nothing but the open world exploration I realised how hollow this game is and the thought that this game may improve tremendously in the coming months and all the missing content - pisses me off.

I dont quite hate it yet, but the idea that such a great game was rushed with so many incomplete or cut out content is annoying AF now that I've beaten it.
Ha! I did the same thing, I think a lot of people did. I played the game up until the point that it opened up, ran around for a bit and then put it down. for some reason just never felt compelled to continue it after that point. I think I settled into the linearity of it and saw it as a cozy run through game, and then it changes on you and the time investment goes away.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Horizon Zero Dawn: (Was really interested in this game during the E3 trailers but I for some reason lost interest after playing a few hours.)
Death Stranding: (At least got some enjoyment out of watching XQC's playthrough after I dreaded playing more of it myself...wtf Kojima.)
Ni no Kuni: (story and gameplay just became a drag)

Erdrick

Pier Goddamn Solar.

I'm all about older games and absolutely love the look and sound of games like this. I was pretty hyped to be able to try this game on the PS4 some 6 years ago.

However, it just doesn't feel right. The Battle system is obtuse to me. The random encounters are nuts. The level design is poor. The story did not grab me, and I played for 20 hours or so. It's a game I wanted to love since it seemed like a love letter to 16 Bit Genesis era games (Lunar, to be exact.) It just... has no soul or something. I finally gave up on it this past spring when I was in some dungeon, unsure where to even go and kept fighting the same layout of enemies over...

And Over...

And Over again.

My last save was an hour prior or something but that was enough. Just exited the game, uninstalled it, and will likely never touch it again.

Maybe it's just me. I used to have a high tolerance for mediocre JRPG's (Or ones that ape them.) I beat freaking Beyond The Beyond on the original PS1 back in 96 since I was so bloody starved for the genre here.

Just done with it. That's saying a lot since I almost never do that with any game...

Larxia

Mafia 3. I actually liked it quite much at first, and I didn't understand why so many people said it was bad.
After a few hours you start to realize that it's the same thing in loop, over and over, being extremely repetitive doing always the exact same thing. I really had to force myself to beat it, it was horrible near the end.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 4
Last of Us 2
Spiderman
Shadow of the Colossus
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Grand Turismo Sport
Driveclub
Nioh
The Last Guardian
Ratchet & Clank (2016)
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Infamous Second Son

yeah, that's about it. All those are some real-time stinkers.

stan_puke_animated_gif_by_fartoons-d48hvkb.gif

Might be a little controversial but Spiderman Miles Morales..at first i thought it was great looking at the new graphics but then you realise
They charged full price for a Spiderman re-skin and its basically the same game as part 1...i hope God of War Ragnarok is not the same sort of spit and polish job

It might be because i never ended up finishing the original Spiderman and played it first before playing Mile Morales literally back to back but full price for this.

Uncharted 4
Last of Us 2
Spiderman
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Grand Turismo Sport
Driveclub
Nioh
The Last Guardian
Ratchet & Clank (2016)
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Infamous Second Son

Let me guess; you love Halo, Gears and Forza right?

TheStam

Every nu-AC. 50-100 hours spent on each. It's just the same game now for the third time with minor variations. Love the themes and they look great, but the side quests / activities are a slog and just mentally draining with how boring, silly and meaningless they feel. And how much of it you need to do.

RDR2: Gameplay does nothing for me and the mission fail states for wandering off have got to go.

Borderlands 3: Gameplay is good, but the can't stand the tone. Played it too much because of friends who love it. I actually really enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands, so I think I could actually enjoy it if they just had some better writing / toned it down a bit.

Battlefield V: Just can't stand it for some reason. God knows I tried. Loved BF1.

ELEX: Does it ever really get good?

PUBG: I suck.

Leopold

Iron Harvest. Got to the last mission of the Polania campaign to notice it is a ridiculous "million enemies a minute" game and it isn't interesting.

I’ve seen bad reviews on Steam where the person spent 500+ hours in-game only to write a huge negative review going over every detail of the gameplay. The review makes it obvious they actually spent that much time with it.

My thing is, if you have to spend that much time with a game to figure out that it is “bad”, is it really that bad or did you play it until you got bored of the game mechanics? After a while, everything becomes a grind...but that doesn’t mean the game was bad.
I’ve got 200 hours in some games my friends got bored with after 20.

kyussman

This is an interesting one for me OP because I put 200hrs into both Mass Effect Andromeda and Fallout 4 and although I wouldn't describe either game as sucking they both had quite a few poor elements.
The fact I played them both for so long means I guess they did some things well,for Andromeda it would be the combat and Fallout 4 the general fun of exploring the world.

FFXIII: absolute trash. Only good thing was the graphics.

All recent pokemon games. Ow yeah also Pokemon emerald gen. Actually pokemon in general has been on a steep decline after Gold. So much potential though...

Xenoblade Chronicles: Cool lore, that's it. Trash low quality, MMOesque (side) quests and gameplay. I even played the remastered switch version, the old wii version looks even more like crap.

Abe's Odyssey New and Tasty: Funny story and love Abe...but it's trash, I know there's a lot of nostalgia here but lol. Shitty puzzle game and the controls were also super bad. Only real good game I played from the Oddworld games is Stranger's wrath. Still have to play exodus though, hope that's better but expectations are very low.

Baldur's Gate 1
: Holy fck I was hyped to play this classic but it was complete shit besides the great writing. Gameplay was extremely bad. Finished the game but man, perfect example of overhyped, nostalgic trash.

Maybe also MGSV because it was very obvious the game was still far from finished. The gameplay was great though, fck it had so much potential. Fuck Konami.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I played World of Warcraft a few years past it's prime hoping it would get better, but it never did. Thank god for classic.

Mista

Banned
I'm giving it to BoTW. Tried to like it as a massive Zelda fan but couldn't

I wouldn't say it sucks since plenty of people liked it, but it was boring to me.

OuterLimits

Definitely No Man's Sky at launch. It was basically just "get more inventory slots" the game. Occasionally a planet would be semi-interesting. Primary the rare ones where every creature on planet was hostile.

It's improved dramatically since launch though.

Cyberpunkd

Baldur's Gate 1: Holy fck I was hyped to play this classic but it was complete shit besides the great writing. Gameplay was extremely bad. Finished the game but man, perfect example of overhyped, nostalgic trash.
It's an old game, of course the gameplay will be hot thrash. People play it for the world building and writing, not for gameplay unless you consider hitting the Pause button exciting.

It's an old game, of course the gameplay will be hot thrash. People play it for the world building and writing, not for gameplay unless you consider hitting the Pause button exciting.
Could better read some good D&D fiction in that case if gameplay isn't important for a videogame.

It being an old game doesn't absolve it from bad gameplay.

acm2000

Gran Turismo

Loved 1 and 2 to bits, and finished them 100%, enjoyed 3 but started to realise something just wasnt right, at number 4 i was getting seriously bored of it and by 5 i was like, nope this is dogshit.

horribly archaic, never progressed forward with the other games in the genre, everything from menus and music to the progression and career structure.

Looking at the brief glimpse of the new GT, it still hasnt changed, no thanks.

Onironauta

Uncharted 4
Last of Us 2
Spiderman
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Days Gone
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Grand Turismo Sport
Driveclub
Nioh
The Last Guardian
Ratchet & Clank (2016)
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Infamous Second Son

Why did you play every single PS4 first-party game if you hate them so much?

VertigoOA

Banned
Death Stranding.

took way too long to see that it really is a boring as shit walking simulator and the worst Kojima game ever.

Last edited:

Xeaker

FF7R
The Last of Us
Trials of Mana
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Nier Automata
Baldurs Gate 2 (PS4)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

FFVII R

Its just that the game plays with nostalgia well, if you like the original there is some good in here and some parts you remember. But then I realized its quite a shitty game and not much better than FFXIII at all.

GT5 because the PS3 didn't have many killer apps at that point, and this was the game everyone was waiting for. I first saw through all the shit (the laggy menus, long load times, standard cars, shitty AI, damage models that are there at level 30 but aren't there? w/e) but eventually I gave up. Its an unrewarding piece of shit.

Last edited:

JCK75

I let World of Warcraft consume me, it wrecked friendships and my girlfriend left me over how much time I was spending with it..
I wish I hated it as much then as I do now.

Brute

God of War (2018)

I can see why people like it but I found it pretty lame in all honesty. I loved that Scottish guy's head you carry around though, he was funny. My favourite video game over the last decade is probably Bloodborne and it's why I dont like GOW. The combat feels poor compared and I like how the Souls games just keep purring along whilst GOW is more story focused and maybe not my thing as I am not into the lore at all.

Halo (all of them)

What am I missing with these games? I pour several hours in and I'm still left wondering what the hell the hype is about? Bland maps, bland characters, bland story...

Last edited:
MGSV for all the same reasons that have been given since the game came out.

The Last of Us. BORING.

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). Supernatural murder mystery that descended into QTE matrix shit or whatever that story was. Rage-quitted that game so hard.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. Enjoyable but forgettable. The entire series felt like something else with the Castlevania title stuck on it. Not terrible but short of greatness.

And last but not least: Microsoft Solitaire. Not fun. Chances of winning are random. Yet it is always loaded up in work to pass the time. More like a waste of time.

PooBone

God of War (2018)

I can see why people like it but I found it pretty lame in all honesty. I loved that Scottish guy's head you carry around though, he was funny. My favourite video game over the last decade is probably Bloodborne and it's why I dont like GOW. The combat feels poor compared and I like how the Souls games just keep purring along whilst GOW is more story focused and maybe not my thing as I am not into the lore at all.

Halo (all of them)

What am I missing with these games? I pour several hours in and I'm still left wondering what the hell the hype is about? Bland maps, bland characters, bland story...
Those are two beloved games/franchises. Some things aren't for everyone and that's okay. Not liking something doesn't mean it "sucks."

Brute

Those are two beloved games/franchises. Some things aren't for everyone and that's okay. Not liking something doesn't mean it "sucks."
The thread subject is "Games that took you too long to realize they suck".

And I'm saying that I think they suck and that it took me a good few sessions with both to realize this.

Last edited:
Assassins Creed: Odyssey. I spent over 100 hours playing that game and I hated 95 of those 100 hours. That was the game that made me realize that time is more important than money. Before if I bought a game, I would complete it even if I wasn't having fun because I spent money on it. I will never do that again.

Last edited:

lyan

Guess I’m one of 5 people that liked it, even have platinum as a proof. In hindsight, combat was actually very good. Story was mindfuck though.
While I also liked it the game definitely isn't for everyone and like many Japanese games of that period suffered from too much hand-holding.

I usually know a game is shit within minutes. With Watchdogs, it was the second I jumped in a car and experienced the driving mechanics. In Borderlands 3 it was the first line of dialogue painfully delivered by the retard kids they expected me to buy as protagonists. I finished both games, but looking back I shouldn't have bothered.

Final Fantasy VIII - This game should have ended about half-way through. I enjoyed it for the most part until about 80 hours in when I realized that I'd stopped caring about a single character or the world at which point I dropped it. Final Fantasy IX did the same thing and after playing more than half the main story I dropped the game.

Top Bottom