• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games where localization are a step above the norm?

also

Banned
Also personally I don't think AA localisation was that great. Resetting the game from Japan to the USA knocked off a huge amount of points in my opinion. Terrible localisation decision. The game is hugely based around Japanese culture, the country swap makes the whole localisation is nonsensical.

But it's not like the name of the country matters that much. In fact, I think it's never even mentioned in the game so you can easily pretend that it's set in Japan.

Evlar

Banned
Final Fantasy XII was the answer on the tips of my typing fingers.

Marquis is pronounced correctly.

Nairume

Banned
Also personally I don't think AA localisation was that great. Resetting the game from Japan to the USA knocked off a huge amount of points in my opinion. Terrible localisation decision. The game is hugely based around Japanese culture, the country swap makes the whole localisation is nonsensical.

Yes, but that means they'd either have a bunch of people with American names making American-culture jokes amongst a Japanese backdrop or they'd have to keep the characters names and cultural jokes Japanese to where only a small group of players would have appreciated it.

They made the right choice by changing the setting to an area that has enough of a Japanese immigrant population for them to handwave the visual Japanese elements, and then just Americanize everything conveyed through text.

Also, I'm not the AA games are right for you if you are worried about localization changes making them look nonsensical.

Sallokin

Came to post Baten Kaitos Origins, but I see that Aeana beat me to it =)

I would say that FFXII is up there as well.

I'm probably in the super minority in that I would put the Xenosaga games on my list.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
All titles I'd like to post have been said already:
Ace Attorney series
Disgaea
Final Fantasy XII
Mario RPGs

Kingdom Hearts wouldn't have worked as well if not for Disney bringing in their own VAs. It doesn't fix the awful writing, but it made the Disney worlds a lot more enjoyable.

The Boat

I see tons of mentions of mario rpg titles. Any other notable games from them? Not many nintendo franchises have much dialogue besides the opening princess peach letter ;)

Zelda localizations are great too, absolutely love them. Honestly the only bad localization I can think of from Treehouse is Metroid Other M and that was because of Sakamoto. Love Treehouse.

Asides from that I don't have anything new to add I think: the Mario RPGs, FF XII, Chrono Trigger (both versions), Xenoblade, Monster Hunter Tri, Ace Attorney (even with some mistakes here and there), Dragon Quest 8 and Earthbound are great examples.

cj_iwakura

Yep. They went out of their way to make the game as messed up for the US as it was for Japan.

It's all in English, even in the Japanese version - however, the American and European versions have more distorted voices over the ghosts, making it much harder to make out anything that they're saying. While I have yet to hear it myself, apparently much of the dialogue was a grammatical, Engrishy nightmare.

Natetan

I agree with you OP:
lEROA.jpg

It was flawless, from bestiary entries to voice acting, perfect.

Every JRPG Ted Woolsey worked on back in the day.

3PeYr.png

<3 Woolsey and the trope named after him.

Came to post these.

And I think FFX actually did a pretty good job considering the content. I played that whole game with j subtitles and english voice acting, and I was impressed with the localization.

I'm not sure I would call the AA localizations "above average". Tons of typos and grammatical errors, the really heavy-handed fanservice ("In west clownadelphia" was really bad althought the later games toned that sort of nonsense way down), plus the attempt to localize the setting to America was kind of weird.

jbueno

+ 1 for Baten Kaitos Origins. Even the voice acting was surprisingly decent after the abomination of the first game.

FF 12 is damn near perfection in that department. Still has some of the best voice acting and dialogue I've seen in a rpg. Fran, Basch, and the man himself Balthier were just pure fucking greatness.

Goddamnit Square :(

Riposte

Final Fantasy XI and XIV are pretty outstanding, with a lot of material outside of the games. The "flavor" they give the world in these games makes them extremely alluring to me. Though not as fancy, they are basically on XII's level in my opinion. Well, at least XIV is.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My favorites were Dragon Warrior 8 and FF12. Both were localized in the UK, iirc.

They were just perfect.

I am in favour of all localization being done in the UK. They know how to do it right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
k6w7V.jpg

Still the gold standard for German localisation. Some call it better than the original. Top fucking notch production.

That's really cool to hear. YDKJ is very well written in English but I've never tried to share it with non-North American friends because so many of the questions are dense and pop culture referential. I should try to track down one or two of 'em in French.

Ouendan -> Elite Beat Agents

Completely new game made for western audiences.

Therefore it's not really a localisation, imo.

Anyway, my picks-,
- The German translations of Final Fantasy IX, Dragon Quest IV and V
- Mario & Luigi series (English and German translations)
- Mother 3 (English fan translation of course)
- Ace Attorney series
- Ghost Trick

That's all I can think of right now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, practically all German translations of the classic Lucas Arts point'n'click games as well. Also I'm with the German YDKJ translations. Awesome stuff.

Syril

i don't see what was so great about recettear's localization. it was very average, and even awkward in some areas.

I never got very far, but I thought it did a good job getting across Recette's weird mix of happy-go-lucky and socially awkward.

I'm going to throw another hat in the ring here: crimson gem saga

Not only did the game have a great translation but the voice acting was pretty good as well. A bit hammy at parts but definitely not phoned in. Really good production qualoty for a psp game

amar212

Killzone 2
Killzone 3

German and Russian voiceovers on PAL releases gives a trully another dimension to overall atmosphere of the game. Real treat is to do second playtrough on German and save the Russian for the third playtrough (no HUD, no hints, 100% atmosphere).

SCEE and Guerilla Games will never get deserved praise for job done in localization of KZ 2&3. Of course, genuine actors deserves greatest congratulations.

Also, METRO 2033 on Russian. Game just needs to be played that way.

Orayn

Interesting case: All of the voice acted dialogue in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was recorded only in English, using From Software's original script. It's also evident that both games' localized English text was at least partially based on translations that From did internally.

Both have their fair share of weirdness, but it's pretty darn impressive for content that hasn't really been localized at all.

Darryl

Banned
I never got very far, but I thought it did a good job getting across Recette's weird mix of happy-go-lucky and socially awkward.

some of the dialog choices were funny, but there wasn't a moment playing it that i didn't realize it was translated. it's the first game that's ever done that for me.

EXGN

Blaustein's early work - particularly Metal Gear Solid and Snatcher - stand out as being some of the best of their time. Particularly when you look at Twin Snakes and the awful translation/writing done compared to the original release.

Sotha Sil

FFT: The War of the Lions, TO: Let Us Cling Together and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney are the games that immediately come to mind; I don't speak Japanese, but I can tell that O. Smith put a lot of effort into them, and love the end result. Great work.

Mass Effect is another, more peculiar example: I played the French version first, and actually think that the French voice acting is superior to its American counterpart, which is an incredibly rare instance. Nilhus and Shepard (M/F) really stand out. There are exceptions, of course.

Are the jokes and script in the Japanese Paper Mario games a lot different than the localized versions? Because those games feel almost tailor-made for western nerds, all the references and memes and stuff. There's nothing giving away that it was made in Japan.

creid

This reminds me - Capcom must have used at least part of their Ace Attorney localization team for Monster Hunter Tri, because it had a lot more clever dialogue and jokes than anyone would have expected based on the decidedly more generic tone of the other games in the series.
IIRC AA1 & 4 was done by Alex O. Smith, while Tri was 8-4. Not sure who worked on AA2 & 3.

I'd like to give FFXII a nod, but I can't forgive "Quickening."

I thought Growlanser Generations had a great localization. The script was nicely done and WD really added a lot of polish to several aspects of the games (e.g. the interface).

Raonak

Banned
Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! AKA: What did I do to deserve this, my lord AKA: No Heroes Allowed

The monster discriptions are amazing. Filled with awesome pop-culture references.

Aeana

Anyways, my serious answer is:

Resonance_of_Fate_Cover_Art.jpg

I never want Square-Enix to localize another tri-Ace game ever again. Sega's localization was incredible.

Infinite Undiscovery's lead translator worked on games like Dragon Quest 5 DS which had a great translation. Star Ocean 4 was done by 8-4, who we all know are capable of fantastic work. Resonance of Fate was done by Inbound, who have also done great work like Valkyria Chronicles. To be honest, the badness of anything you see in tri-Ace's games is most likely not the translators' fault. RoF just happened to be the least-awkward source material.

Infinite Undiscovery's lead translator worked on games like Dragon Quest 5 DS which had a great translation. Star Ocean 4 was done by 8-4, who we all know are capable of fantastic work. Resonance of Fate was done by Inbound, who have also done great work like Valkyria Chronicles. To be honest, the badness of anything you see in tri-Ace's games is most likely not the translators' fault. RoF just happened to be the least-awkward source material.

Infinite Undiscovery's translation wasn't bad at all. They were the voice actors that they chose for most of the voices that were the goddamn worse. And, of course, the awkward Japanese humor every once and a while that almost never translates well into English.

Star Ocean 4 was just bad in general.

Other than those, tri-Ace games have always had stellar localizations (SO2 and half of SO3 aside), but SE has been really fudging it up lately with every damn game they publish.

Ace Attorney immediately springs to mind. For a story-heavy Japanese series, they managed to make the game not feel distinctly "Japanese" with plenty of genuinely funny moments. The pun names were always neat, no cheesiness unless it was called for, etc. They've always came off to me as the best localized games I've played.

john tv

Nier was my personal apology for SO4 (I oversaw both). :p

SO4 is not poorly translated by any means - it's just VERY true to the Japanese. It was our first project with SQEX and we were worried about rocking the boat (they had asked us to keep it true to the JP), so we just followed direction. With Nier, they let us have way more say in the actual script, they let us choose the voice studio and handle the voices (I oversaw every line of recorded dialogue in that game in-studio with the director Yoko-san), and the Japanese script was already great to begin with. Made a HUGE difference. I don't think Nier was perfect by any means, but the localization environment was much better than in most titles, and as such, the end result benefited from it.

Anyway, thanks for the Nier (and MH3 & BKO!) comments. :)

Hsieh

The original Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII had no voice acting. Voice acting was specifically added to the game for the English version.

Top Bottom