• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games where localization are a step above the norm?

GSR

Hotel Dusk.

Damn, beaten to the punch. I just finished replaying Hotel Dusk and Last Window back to back (Hotel Dusk's localization was handled by NoA, Last Window's by NoE) and it was striking how much more natural Hotel Dusk's script felt. Last Window's wasn't bad by any means, but Hotel Dusk's script was just so much more lively.

A good example is when Martin is talking to Kyle and says something along the lines of, "Yes, Mr. Hyde, I have deduced your true identity at last!" to which Kyle thinks "Maybe I should deduce my fist to your face. Bet that'd shut you up." I obviously can't say for sure without playing it in Japanese, but that feels like a moment where they opted for something more in Kyle's character rather than a direct translation of the Japanese script.

I like the game, but that's kinda like translating poop into turd.
I really like the item descriptions, arts names, word usage/prose, etc. Everything just feels satisfying for me in that regard. As for the actual spoken dialogue... that wasn't part of my initial thought process when I made the post. It's nothing special.

Permafrost, Caustic Blast, and Maledict are some of my favorite spells just based on the name. And just the other small stuff like using "Incapacitated" and "Terminated" give me little nerdgasms. That's why I love RPGs so much. Words... they make me giddy, no lie. It's also why some attack names stick with me.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but never gave an explanation for it, but Baten Kaitos Origins was like that for me. "The Apotheosis," "Frigid Queen's Festival," "Luciferous Stave," and a whole bunch of other EX Combo and Magnus names had me HNNNNGing from the awesome (Item descriptions, too). The fact that the whole game was beautifully written (as was the original for most things) and spoken just elevated it to godly levels. It's my favorite game in existence for so many reasons.

I mean, take a loot at my Twitter account. I only made it because I wanted to use that background I made. I don't really use it, though :p

Murkas

Persona 4.

100_3358.jpg

The senpai/kun/san stuff really annoyed me in the Persona games, it just doesn't and will never make sense when said in English and don't get why they kept it like that.

Nairume

Banned
The senpai/kun/san stuff really annoyed me in the Persona games, it just doesn't and will never make sense when said in English and don't get why they kept it like that.
Because the setting allowed for one of the rare cases for honorifics being okay to keep around.

Granted, there were alternatives that they could have done.

cj_iwakura

Because the setting allowed for one of the rare cases for honorifics being okay to keep around.

Granted, there were alternatives that they could have done.

Fortunately, they decided to do away with it. By that logic, Devil Survivor and Persona 1 & 2 could have done the same thing, and they didn't.
(I'm of the opinion it just does not flow well in English, at all.)

I really dig the Tactics Ogre and Final Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions re-translations on PSP. If we are counting fan made translation, Mother 3 for sure.

Seda

I really liked the dialogue in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (and there's a lot of it). The main thing that weakens it for the sake of this thread is that voice acting is meh (a LOT better than Path of Radiance though). There's not many voice acted scenes anyway.

cj_iwakura

I really liked the dialogue in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (and there's a lot of it). The main thing that weakens it for the sake of this thread is that voice acting is meh (a LOT better than Path of Radiance though). There's not many voice acted scenes anyway.

Nintendo have some of the best localizers in the business, when they get down to it.

Sagitario

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but never gave an explanation for it, but Baten Kaitos Origins was like that for me. "The Apotheosis," "Frigid Queen's Festival," "Luciferous Stave," and a whole bunch of other EX Combo and Magnus names had me HNNNNGing from the awesome (Item descriptions, too). The fact that the whole game was beautifully written (as was the original for most things) and spoken just elevated it to godly levels. It's my favorite game in existence for so many reasons.

I agree with this. BKO spells/attacks and descriptions are excellent. Plus, Guillo.

Lyriell

Nobody who had anything to do with it will probably ever read this...
But besides Nier and Vagrant story....

Thank you so much to the people who translated LUFIA 2.

The sense of humour and fun was amazing for a snes game...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nobody who had anything to do with it will probably ever read this...
But besides Nier and Vagrant story....

Thank you so much to the people who translated LUFIA 2.

The sense of humour and fun was amazing for a snes game...

The localization left in some really strange bugs and graphical glitches, most notably at the bottom of the Ancient Cave.

Top Bottom