• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with best kick-based combat AND a character creator? Pref. not a fighting game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wanna play a game as Chie Satonaka.

Whats my best avenue for doing so?

I'd rather it not just be a typical 1v1 fighter if there are any other options out there.

mike6467

Yakuza

Edit: I missed the cc part, I suck. Wrestling games may be viable, that's not a traditional 1v1 fighter so to speak, but you could probably find a decent CAW Chie already made then edit the moveset to be mostly kick related. It's definitely not ideal, but eh, if you need it to look like Chie I can't think of anything else.

Mechazawa

What do you mean by character creator?

God Hand lets you alter your entire moveset. You could do nothing but kicks on motherfuckers in that game if you wanted, and it would be viable.

MULE KICK ALL DAY BABY.

God Hand?

QS58D.gif

Mephala

There aren't a whole lot of kick based combat to begin with. Most are just basic hand to hand with some kicks thrown in.

You can try monk classes in various MMOs and rpgs. They usually have some kick attacks.

Zareka

Dragon's Dogma.

Fantastic combat and a fantastic character creator.

Edit: Tracksuit might be a bit of a problem though.

Outside of boss fights, I'm pretty sure the jump kick is the single strongest attack in Gunstar Heroes. You're practically invincible while doing it.

Steel

Banned
There are a few kick based weapons in dynasty warriors and it has a character creator.

And... Hmmm.... Maxi in Soul Cal IV and V has shitloads of kicks and you can make a custom character in it(pretty in depth too. You could also make a Devil Jin martial arts character in Soul Cal V.

Thinking about it, your best bet is Soul Calibur 3. There's custom styles in it that are specifically for custom characters, and one of the weapons is a kick based one.

Ken

There are a few kick based weapons in dynasty warriors and it has a character creator.

And... Hmmm.... Maxi in Soul Cal IV and V has shitloads of kicks and you can make a custom character in it(pretty in depth too. You could also make a Devil Jin martial arts character in Soul Cal V.

Thinking about it, your best bet is Soul Calibur 3. There's custom styles in it that are specifically for custom characters, and one of the weapons is a kick based one.

If he was gonna play a fighting game with a custom chie he could just play p4a with the real one lol

Steel

Banned
If he was gonna play a fighting game with a custom chie he could just play p4a with the real one lol

I mean, that's fair, but there aren't that many options that meet the OP's requirements. And Soul Calibur is life.

Like literally the only other option I can think of is Dynasty Warriors.

Mechazawa

Probably want to make his character look like Chie. Then again, Chie is flat, and just has a slightly different hairstyle than Bruce Lee so any game with Bruce Lee can work, too, if you cloud your eyes enough.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping he doesn't mean visual customization rather than gameplay customization. Because God Hand won't let him play as a teenage girl, but it'll get him the other 90% of the way there.

You wanna come to kicktown, OP, you call my boy Gene.

NsEy7HZ.gif

BooJoh

Mii Brawler in SSB 3DS/WiiU can be customized with a highly kick-centric moveset and is a created character as well.

Kent

If the lack of a character creator isn't a dealbreaker, you're looking for God Hand.

Though to be fair, you should play God Hand anyway. Anyone who loves a good action game should.

God Hand?

QS58D.gif

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping he doesn't mean visual customization rather than gameplay customization. Because God Hand won't let him play as a teenage girl, but it'll get him the other 90% of the way there.

You wanna come to kicktown, OP, you call my boy Gene.

NsEy7HZ.gif

These guys know what's up. You can customize your entire moveset to be kicks if you want to, since you can fully-customize what your normal attack string, command moves and special attacks are.

Vaenyr

Fifa? :p

Can't remember any game with purely kick-based combat but character action games could be close. Devil May Cry 3 for example had the beowulf weapon, which let Dante punck and kick things. I seem to remember lots of kick combos, not sure, maybe something in that vein is what you're looking for.

EDIT: Way to go, completely ignored the character creation part, that really complicates things D:

City of Heroes would be good for this (if it was still around) with the Martial Arts set for most of the melee classes being kick-centric and it being pretty easy to remake Chie's general look.

Champions Online would be an option nowadays I guess, though it's not as good as CoH was.

Other best option would be Saints Row 2/3/4, though there's not a ton of kicking I guess.

Dremorak

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Mii brawler with custom Mii can get pretty close to a lot of things, and I think you can make a character with only kicking moves.

I know its a fighting game, but its not a typical 1v1 fighting game either ;)

Not really what you're looking for combat-wise but you can recreate her in Saints Row III and IV, which should be a pretty fun experience.

Even SR2, which has the kick-based Ronin fighting style. Can't say for certain you can get the exact tracksuit, but the creator was impressive, so I bet it's possible.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You won't be playing as Chie... or even a human but you can kick the ever loving shit of things in Overgrowth

overgrowth-o.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
A lot of great recommendations in this thread, Gaf always pulls through.

I promise to play God Hand one day, even if it doesn't satisfy my Chie needs.

Not really what you're looking for combat-wise but you can recreate her in Saints Row III and IV, which should be a pretty fun experience.

Fucking. Fuckinnnn. God damn.

Can you share the character for that? There's character sharing in SRIV right? I need to use that.

PSO2's Jet Boots weapon uses all kick-based attacks and the character creator is incredibly in-depth. The tracksuit might be hard to get right, though... There's Persona 5 costumes in it but nothing for Persona 4.
https://youtu.be/e0peyn8-DaQ

If customization lets me make a decent enough approximation I could totally mess around with this, that looks rad.

4Tran

Dark Messiah is the greatest kicking simulator man has ever made.
Yup. Just pretend the main dude is Chie with a voice change. And unlike most of these other examples, Dark Messiah's kicks will interact with the environment. Kick enemies into fires, into spikes, off of cliffs, and more!

Basketball

Skyrim with mods

You could totally change all the melee attacks with kick animations
Change the blocking, powerblocks with weapons to kicks
add melee buffing mods , even special effects/sounds (dragon kicks, ice/fire)
Change the jumping animation front flips, Chuck norris,parkour style etc

There are a lot of melee animation mods
change stances you name it

and download a bunch of Martial arts related clothing then boom.
It would take some effort but you can do a lot with the game on mods

and with mods there is no other game with a better character creator of course, jump from 20 options in vanilla to like 20 million
and if you play with a female it's infinite.

Top Bottom