• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about combat in Sony's first party titles

R.57e5efb6836dd50a7fbb5bf5de0f2359

Unpopular opinion inbound...I ran a few minutes from each of OP's clips and it solidifies why I don't play Sony first person games. I just find the actual gameplay so same same e.g. over the shoulder, feels like freedom but it's just QTEs all over, flash-y animation and IQ for sure but so damned repetitive and similar to the next title. It's like AI reskinning the game for the releases shown in the OP.

Last edited:

blackjon24

too bad the game only had like what 6 biomes? The underwater one was kind of dog shit though. They should of done one that's a bit more colorful.
Lol how is 6 biomes not a lot? I can think of a major triple a game on a competing console that only has one biome and people were fine with that.

There are games that deliver on both combat and animation.

Bonus point....they actually make the character good looking.

Combat and kinematic animation (not facial). Yes.
Good looking? Not to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
R.57e5efb6836dd50a7fbb5bf5de0f2359

Unpopular opinion inbound...I ran a few minutes from each of OP's clips and it solidifies why I don't play Sony first person games. I just find the actual gameplay so same same e.g. over the shoulder, feels like freedom but it's just QTEs all over, flash-y animation and IQ for sure but so damned repetitive and similar to the next title. It's like AI reskinning the game for the releases shown in the OP.

This! Came here to post basically the same thing

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The combat in their games is good, but of course, you have idiots on Twitter trying to convince you that the gameplay is the same and not any better than the majority of the games out there.

If the combat in The Last of Us Part II is considered "mid" then Resident Evil remake combat should be considered terrible.

Woggleman

I honestly think some hardcore gamers can't conceive of a so called movie game actually having good gameplay. I don't know where it comes from but a game can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Warablo

Uncharted, I absolutely hate
TLOU, love the combat animations and brutality
Ghosts of Tsushima, fun refined combat
God of War, was fun but seems rather limited in style and encounters
Spiderman, just Arkham combat and gadgets tailored for Spiderman
Horizon, think at one point I liked the combat, but eventually just started meleeing

Last edited:

Fredrik

I mean Returnal has no competitors in what it does. They somehow translated the smooth, controlled-chaos feel of a twin stick shooter perfectly into 3D. One of the overall best playing games of all times as far as I'm concerned.
I love Returnal and it’s my favorite Sony game. But it did not translate twin-stick shooting perfectly to 3D. You still have to aim freely and vertically with a stick instead of just rotate 360-degrees on a horizontal plane which is the whole reason twin-stick shooting is so great.
Now that The Ascent is on PS5 people can stop hating on it and try what I think is the perfect control style for third person shooting. They even managed to get cover shooting in there. Plays like a dream. One of the most underrated games I know.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
as good as the combat is in Spiderman its a direct copy of what was done in the Arkham games so cant really give massive credit there and I love the Spiderman games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

That made it looks much worse, especially compare to how stylish and bad ass Ada fight was.

This just Abby punching everybody.…..I guess it’s being “grounded” but I don’t play games for realism.

Last edited:

GymWolf

That made it looks much worse, especially compare to how stylish and bad ass Ada fight was.

This just Abby punching very body.…..it’s being “grounded” but I don’t play games for realism.
Then it's a personal preference, in both games it is just a button to press, there is nothing different between parry and guile moon kick or evade and punches or more grounded moves, and tlou2 characters have a lot of unique fighing animations for melee, almost surely more than leon and ada (i posted another 2 gifs but there is a ton of them)

You spoke like re4 combat was doing much more than sony combats (in this case tlou2 since it's the most similar), and days gone is basically the same, but as you can see, it's just a difference in bombastic over grounded (no shit the games have completely different tones)

Last edited:
If the combat in The Last of Us Part II is considered "mid" then Resident Evil remake combat should be considered terrible.
Resident Evil Remake was released in 2002 on the GameCube and The Last of Us Part II was released in 2020 on the PS4. The combat in the former is terrible relative to modern standards. That does not make the latter "good" as standards have risen. If you want a more fair comparison the ideal subject would be 2020's Resident Evil 3 Remake and it is way more polished in the gameplay department even with fewer mechanics.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I especially find Horizon's 2 combat underrated, rarely do I hear anything good about it even though it gives you a gazillion of weapons and gadgets to create some very creative builds. Tha base mechanics are closer to something like monster hunter than your average western game and only fights with humans or melee are underwhelming. I played 60 hours to finish it and immediately started NG+ to enjoy the combat all over again on the hardest difficulty with all my endgame gear.

Danjin44

Than it's a personal preference, in both games it is just a button to press, there is nothing different between parry and guile moon kick and evade and punches or more grounded moves.

You spoke like re4 combat was doing much more than sony combats (in this case tlou2 since it's the most similar), and days gone is basically the same.
For me it’s especially when you see Ada using more weapons in single encounter than Abby just punching everyone, for my taste RE4R has more interesting enemy design and bosses you encounter through out the game which makes combat more fun.

GymWolf

For me it’s especially when you see Ada using more weapons in single encounter than Abby just punching everyone, for my taste RE4R has more interesting enemy design and bosses you encounter through out the game which makes combat more fun.
Umm...you know that you can use a multitude of different melee weapons in tlou2 aswell, right?

On the harder difficulty you switch weapons all the time because ammo are scarce and melee weapons break more easily, so sometimes you have to use the bare hands, honestly it's not more boring than doing headshot+same kick for crowd control for 90% of the game in re4...

GymWolf

The difference is precision is rewarded mechanically in the former and enemies are aggressive instead of attacking like they are fumbling in the dark in your examples.
You should play on max difficulty if you think enemies in tlou wait their turns, the dude is obviously playing on easier mode to make the gifs more spectacular, everyone who does cool gifs and videos use easier modes because it's easy to style on enemies.

And how the fuck is doing headshot that fast without even an aim reticule not skill based?

I played both games and they have the same level of challenge with the only difference being that in re4 you have slightly more ammo but more resistant enemies.

P.s. in the first gif, the enemies don't really take turns, he avoid the chick off screen when she attacks, she just switch very fast between target when they are still stun by the punches, i can assure that that gif is all skill based, worse players can't do that shit so flawlessly.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Umm...you know that you can use a multitude of different melee weapons in tlou2 aswell, right?

On the harder difficulty you switch weapons all the time because ammo are scarce and melee weapons break more easily, so sometimes you have to use the bare hands, honestly it's not more boring than doing headshot+same kick for crowd control for 90% of the game in re4...
Again in RER4R you have different type of enemies big and small and in professional difficulty the parry becomes way more risky to use which makes some boss fights very intense.

So I disagree, for me RE4 combat just waaaaay more fun.

GymWolf

Again in RER4R you have different type of enemies big and small and in professional difficulty the parry becomes way more risky to use which makes some boss fights very intense.

So I disagree, for me RE4 combat just waaaaay more fun.
And that is understandable, i never said anything about that, but your initial statement was based on your personal taste, not facts, millions of people loved tlou2 combat and for people who care about MC, they also have a similar score.(i don't care who has the highest, we both know mc is bullshit)

P.s. tlou2 also has bigger and smaller enemies in the same combat encounters and on the hardest difficulty the evade get as risky as the parry because you can just decide to run away or to stay there and try to style on enemies, again the games have very similar gameplay loop.

Last edited:
You should play on max difficulty if you think enemies in tlou wait their turns, the dude is obviously playing on easier mode to make the gifs more spectacular, everyone who does cool gifs and videos use easier modes because it's easy to style on enemies.

And how the fuck is doing headshot that fast without even an aim reticule not skill based?

I played both games and they have the same level of challenge with the only difference being that in re4 you have slightly more ammo.
You misunderstand. It is not a matter of difficulty. It is a matter of avatar control and the enemies and player having more states in gameplay creating greater variety. You can use several guns in RE4 that can decapitate or incapacitate every enemy you encounter in one shot, but you would be short-changing yourself by not engaging with the available mechanics.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You misunderstand. It is not a matter of difficulty. It is a matter of avatar control and the enemies and player having more states in gameplay creating greater variety. You can use several guns in RE4 that can decapitate or incapacitate every enemy you encounter in one shot, but you would be short-changing yourself by not engaging with the available mechanics.
I still don't get what you are saying really, most of what you say can be applied to tlou 2 aswell, you can blast you way with a shotgun and granades and explosive arrows or you can indulge in melee and shit.

The strategy to deal with majority of enemies in re4 is simple and doesn't change for the entire game, headshot or foot shot, then kick, even better when enemies form a group so you can damage more of them with the kick, when tentacles are out a flash granade or just shooting the tentacles, when they attack you parry and retaliate, not different than evade and retaliate.

In tlou you can shot a foot and go melee for a finisher or take and hostage and add another layer.

You are not gonna convince me that that is much better than tlou 2 loop, just more arcadey.

In tlou 2 you can mix stealth and go in or out of the combat, not much of a thing in re4 where you are stealth only for the first approach.

The games are similar but each one has some things that the other doens't have, saying that one is way better imo is bullshit.

RE4 has better and more iconic boss fights, i give you that.

Last edited:

Danjin44

tlou2 also has bigger and smaller enemies in the same combat encounters and on the hardest difficulty the evade get as risky as the parry because you can just decide to run away or to stay there and try to style on enemies, again the games have very similar gameplay loop.
Are you kidding? sheer enemy variety is so fucking higher than TLOU 2 especially the actual big enemies you fight in RE4.

you also have great fight like Jack Krauser you do epic knife fight, enemy and boss fights in RE4 miles better.

Last edited:
I still don't get what you are saying really, most of what you say can be applied to tlou 2 aswell, you can blast you way with a shotgun and granades and explosive arrows or you can indulge in melee and shit.

The strategy to deal with majority of enemies in re4 is simple and doesn't change for the entire game, headshot or foot shot, then kick, even better when enemies form a group so you can damage more of them with the kick, when tentacles are out a flash granade or just shooting the tentacles, when they attack you parry and retaliate.

You are not gonna convince me that that is much better than tlou 2 loop, just more arcadey.

In tlou 2 you can mix stealth and go in or out of the combat, not much of a thing in re4 where you are stealth only for the first approach.
I am willing to bet you would mix up your gameplay approach more after the first hour of RE4 than you would after an hour of TLOU2. It is fine to prefer the latter if its mechanics appeal more to you, but TLOU2 is more chaotic and less refined. You can consider that experimental nature a feature, but it also means that the developers could not be assed to commit to a proper layout.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Are you kidding? sheer enemy variety is so fucking higher than TLOU 2 especially the actual big enemies you fight in RE4.

you also have great fight like Jack Krauser you do epic knife fight, enemy and boss fights in RE4 miles better.
Yeah as i said that in my next post, boss fights are better in re4.

Tlou is a grounded game so the best they have are big types of infected but they are chained by the lore, they can't go batshit crazy.

Variahunter

Most of those combat system are way too simple.

Ghost of Tsushima is laughable compared to NioH, and that’s the best of them.

All their games are made to be finished by casuals, so the depths of mechanics and the skill requirements are low.

GymWolf

I am willing to bet you would mix up your gameplay approach more after the first hour of RE4 than you would after an hour of TLOU2. It is fine to prefer the latter if its mechanics appeal more to you, but TLOU2 is more chaotic and less refined.
I played both multiple times, i enjoy both, but i just prefer tlou2 style more, more weighty and more grounded.

My initial point was just about danjin post saying that only some games deliver in combat other than animations, and that's bullshit.

GymWolf

Most of those combat system are way too simple.

Ghost of Tsushima is laughable compared to NioH, and that’s the best of them.

All their games are made to be finished by casuals, so the depths of mechanics and the skill requirements are low.
It's not the best of them in the slightest and yes, it's a joke compared to nioh, but tbf, nioh also has better combat than almost every souls game except sekiro maybe.

Gow combat smash tsushima in every way possible.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah as i said that in my next post, boss fights are better in re4.

Tlou is a grounded game so the best they have are big types of infected but they are chained by the lore, they can't go batshit crazy.
This is exactly what I can‘t fucking stand, for sake of ”realism” you have to have more boring enemy designs. fun enemies/bosses is big part of good combat, without it encounters becomes boring.

GymWolf

This is exactly what I can‘t fucking stand, for sake of ”realism” you have to have more boring enemy designs. fun enemies/bosses is big part of good combat, without it encounters becomes boring.
I can get behind that, never said otherwise.

But majority of games have fantasy elements, so for me, a serious game once in a while is acceptable, think about it, how many games as realistic as tlou do we have every year?

Even alan wake that has "similar" gameplay is way more fantasy.

Some people just like their serious games like tlou2 or rdr2.

Last edited:
I played both multiple times, i enjoy both, but i just prefer tlou2 style more, more weighty and more grounded.

My initial point was just about danjin post saying that only some games deliver in combat other than animations, and that's bullshit.
I would argue that it is fictionally weighty in terms of attacks and fictionally floaty in mobility and reaction. It is more visceral, but not any more grounded than RE4. The combat does not deliver if their goal is to emulate something like Rambo. RE4 on the other hand captures the action film combat style amazingly well.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's not the best of them in the slightest and yes, it's a joke compared to nioh, but tbf, nioh also has better combat than almost every souls game except sekiro maybe.

Gow combat smash tsushima in every way possible.
Sekiro is a super impressive game and if people like it more that's fine. But I think Nioh blows that away as well. Sekiro doesn't even have a 2nd weapon, and really doesn't allow for much creativity in how you approach combat. There's moments you can style on enemies or make it look neat, but you pretty much have 1 thing to do which is land the parries. I think Nioh combat is the best souls combat for sure. The amount of skills and options, and how seamlessly and elegantly you can switch between multiple stances is just so much better. Most FROM games just have such limited attacks, and weapon skills.

Danjin44

I can get behind that, never said otherwise.

But majority of games have fantasy elements, so for me, a serious game once in a while is acceptable, think about it, how many games as realistic as tlou do we have every year?

Even alan wake that has "similar" gameplay is way more fantasy.

Some people just like their serious games like tlou2 or rdr2.
Sorry I can’t get behind that, you can still have serious story and still have interesting enemies, just look at Silent Hill and FROM games, what you asking here is you want games to be more realistic, that fine but I personally don’t play games for realism.

What bother me about Alan Wake 2 is has interesting setting like Dark place but it doesn’t use it to give me interesting and freaky enemies, instead in Alan section you get enemies with blurry filter…..which makes more boring than enemies in Saga section.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Spiderman had the best Sony combat I’ve experienced (once ramped up with perks). All in all I think most of Sony’s combat is the stereotypical western based combat.

It’s completely serviceable, and I don’t always need a game with overly complex combat. I’d rather have a game where punches have a meaty impact, versus pages of complex moves which amount to tickling the enemy.

Danjin44

Sekiro is a super impressive game and if people like it more that's fine. But I think Nioh blows that away as well
Highly, HIGHLY disagree.

you might have “less” weapons but I find Sekiro‘s weapon super precise and focus and MUCH better encounters.

what Sekiro gives same type of sword combat I see Sword of Stranger movie.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Resident Evil Remake was released in 2002 on the GameCube and The Last of Us Part II was released in 2020 on the PS4. The combat in the former is terrible relative to modern standards. That does not make the latter "good" as standards have risen. If you want a more fair comparison the ideal subject would be 2020's Resident Evil 3 Remake and it is way more polished in the gameplay department even with fewer mechanics.
Clearly I'm not talking about the 2002 Remake, but the modern remakes which still are all far behind.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Highly, HIGHLY disagree.

you might have “less” weapons but I find Sekiro‘s weapon super precise and focus and MUCH better encounters.

I don't know what weapon being precise means. Nioh is super precise as well, while juggling a ton more options. You can do no armor zero damage runs on all the bosses. You can approach the bosses in multiple different ways. You can attack with magic, items, or multiple varied weapons from various ranges that all have deep command lists of skills and 3 stances of moves. Nioh 2 also adds all the monster (blue mage) skills, which there are a ton and even more customization options, and 3 different demon forms - each with differently timed defensive / counter options. You can sit in a training mode and work through all of it like a fighting game. I'd honestly guess that it's far more "precise" than a FROM game which usually has balance issues, enemies tracking you unusually with lock on, input reading, etc.

Also every enemy in Nioh uses the same rules as the player and has their own fatigue bars which dramatically improves balancing and depth in the fights. FROM enemies have no rules like that.

FROM is far better at art design and level design though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sorry I can’t get behind that, you can still have serious story and still have interesting enemies, just look at Silent Hill and FROM games, what you asking here is you want games to be more realistic, that fine but I personally don’t play games for realism.

What bother me about Alan Wake 2 is has interesting setting like Dark place but it doesn’t use it to give me interesting and freaky enemies, instead in Alan section you get enemies with blurry filter…..which makes more boring than enemies in Saga section.
Serious and realistic stories.

Aw2 is the more grounded of the bunch and it is still super fantasy compared to tlou2.

People have different taste than you so devs try to cover all bases.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sekiro is a super impressive game and if people like it more that's fine. But I think Nioh blows that away as well. Sekiro doesn't even have a 2nd weapon, and really doesn't allow for much creativity in how you approach combat. There's moments you can style on enemies or make it look neat, but you pretty much have 1 thing to do which is land the parries. I think Nioh combat is the best souls combat for sure. The amount of skills and options, and how seamlessly and elegantly you can switch between multiple stances is just so much better. Most FROM games just have such limited attacks, and weapon skills.
Niho has a more varied gameplay by far compared to sekiro of course, i was talking about how perfected the mechanics are.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The only modern remake that is behind is Resident Evil 2 Remake but the rest are infinitely more interesting mechanically.
They lack in many areas, especially when it comes to melee combat. If RE2 is far behind while RE3R is not based on a few upgrade mechanics then yeah... no lol

Top Bottom