• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about combat in Sony's first party titles

Sony caters for both but you do need to go on harder difficulties to appreciate it more.
I have beaten every recent major Sony game on its hardest difficulty, except SM2 because for some fucked up reason Insomniac hid the highest difficulty behind beating the game. TLOU2 on grounded was the only game where it was exceedingly challenging, and Naughty Dog didn't release that mode until like 6 months after release. The combat systems for Sony are generally not very deep either. There is not a lot of variety to the gameplay like a Dark Souls or Cyberpunk, which is fine. More variety doesn't mean a game is better either.

I consider myself a very average gamer. I still have not beaten Sekiro. Sony looks at a game like Sekiro, and they think the barrier of entry is way too high for average gamers. Sekiro won game of the year and was released on all platforms. It still has only sold 10 million copies. It's a business. If Sony is going to have cutting edge graphics, motion capture, and writing, the game must be accessible for a wide audience, or else they won't recoup production costs

Fbh

While I definitely agree that a lot of Sony games have great combat, my biggest issue with a lot of their recent games is that the story sort of gets in the way of me enjoying the gameplay.

Like my favorite parts in Gow Ragnarok are when you finish the main objective and you get to roam around doing side quests and activities (The optional Crater area in particular was great), because I actually get to enjoy the combat and exploration without constantly being interrupted by the 80th unskippable cutscene of Kratos arguing with Atreus or some boring 1.5 hours long Atreus sequence.

Same with TLOU2, amazing stealth gameplay that's constantly getting interrupted by long walking and talking sequences and awful flashbacks in the Aquarium. And don't get me started on Uncharted 4.

And this isn't some "I don't like stories in games" issue for me. I do like stories in games but I think this way of adding it through "gameplay" instead of good ol' cutscenes is becoming annoying. Instead of watching a 10 minutes cutscenes that I can then skip on my next playthrough I'm forced to play through a barley interactive 40 minutes long flashback sequence about Nathan Drake as a kid.
If you want to tell the story through gameplay give me something like Mass Effect where there's a fun interactive element to it, and I'm making choices and it's actually adding to replay value.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I have beaten every recent major Sony game on its hardest difficulty, except SM2 because for some fucked up reason Insomniac hid the highest difficulty behind beating the game. TLOU2 on grounded was the only game where it was exceedingly challenging, and Naughty Dog didn't release that mode until like 6 months after release. The combat systems for Sony are generally not very deep either. There is not a lot of variety to the gameplay like a Dark Souls or Cyberpunk, which is fine. More variety doesn't mean a game is better either.

I consider myself a very average gamer. I still have not beaten Sekiro. Sony looks at a game like Sekiro, and they think the barrier of entry is way too high for average gamers. Sekiro won game of the year and was released on all platforms. It still has only sold 10 million copies. It's a business. If Sony is going to have cutting edge graphics, motion capture, and writing, the game must be accessible for a wide audience, or else they won't recoup production costs
Dark Souls isn’t much different to Sony’s Demons Souls, and their other games have the same depth but you have to learn them, of course on easier difficulty levels there isn’t much need for it, but the higher you go the more combos and strategies you need to learn.

Valonquar

The issue with most of OP's games listed is that they have huge skill trees, yet once you unlock like 2 things in any tree, you dont really NEED anything else. It's just unnecessary complexity for the sake of variety. Not necessarily a PROBLEM really, but ffs in Ghost of Tsushima for example, you can blast into any group on horseback, jump off throwing a smokebomb and everyone just dies instantly from 1 button attacks.

Shtof

No matter how much Horizon exceed in long ranged combat, her melee combat is totally trash.
That's like saying the melee combat in any FPS is trash because it's not deep. It's not supposed to be, it's just a free damage option when enemies are close to you.

Fake

That's like saying the melee combat in any FPS is trash because it's not deep. It's not supposed to be, it's just a free damage option when enemies are close to you.

You are comparing a FPS to a third person dude... And I never said the melee in those games are good either.

And this isn't some "I don't like stories in games" issue for me. I do like stories in games but I think this way of adding it through "gameplay" instead of good ol' cutscenes is becoming annoying. Instead of watching a 10 minutes cutscenes that I can then skip on my next playthrough I'm forced to play through a barley interactive 40 minutes long flashback sequence about Nathan Drake as a kid.
the sopranos hbo GIF

I like Uncharted 3 having segments like the start of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade!

Last edited:
It's always been goofy how there's the curious yet persistent narrative that Sony games are story focused sacrificing gameplay when both typically are really fantastic.

GHG

I only put games I've finished on there lol. I only played the first hour or so in DG and never got the time to go back :(

Get back to it ASAP and play it on one of the harder difficulties.

It's always been goofy how there's the curious yet persistent narrative that Sony games are story focused sacrificing gameplay when both typically are really fantastic.

Anyone who says these games don't have good combat/gameplay is lying.

Last edited:

Fbh

the sopranos hbo GIF

I like Uncharted 3 having segments like the start of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade!

The intro of Uncharted 3 was relatively fine. It was fun seeing how Drake and Sully met, and it's not that long.

I was talking more about Uncharted 4, which IMO has the best gunplay in the franchise but is so concerned about telling a story that it barely lets you fight anyone.
You start with a young Drake sequence, then you get a long Drake locked up in some prison sequence, then you get a retired Drake at home sequence, then you get that part where they are infiltrating that party at the mansion.
Suddenly you realize you've been playing for like 3 hours and maybe 20 minutes out of that actually consisted of shooting

Uncharted 4 is the only one I haven't replayed in the franchise because of that .

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The intro of Uncharted 3 was relatively fine. It was fun seeing how Drake and Sully met, and it's not that long.

I was talking more about Uncharted 4, which IMO has the best gunplay in the franchise but is so concerned about telling a story that it barely lets you fight anyone.
You start with a young Drake sequence, then you get a long Drake locked up in some prison sequence, then you get a retired Drake at home sequence, then you get that part where they are infiltrating that party at the mansion.
Suddenly you realize you've been playing for like 3 hours and maybe 20 minutes out of that actually consisted of shooting

Uncharted 4 is the only one I haven't replayed in the franchise because of that .
Luckily it has that chapter select thing. I never tried that but I thought the same thing.

Shakka43

The first Horizon has great combat. The second one is okay but much of the time I just get batted around.
The gameplay on Forbidden West is better than Zero Dawn in many ways but the machines make it less enjoyable cause they move way too fast and jump like crazy all the time, made the combat really tiresome at times

Guilty_AI

My experience with their games is that it becomes very easy to "hack" them as you learn the mechanics.

When i was playing God of War 18, because the camera was terrible for fighting enemies close quarters, i often found myself keeping a distance in most encounters and just throwing the axe at enemies until they died off. It worked 90% of the time, especially against those trolls or crowds. This was on "Give Me a Challenge" difficulty btw.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I guess I'm poor because I finished Days Gone twice but after 3 years of playing TLOU2 I'm yet to play as Abby.
I'm not talking about the game in general, i have no problem in people liking dg more than tlou1 or 2, hell i prefer the story and characters in dg way more than anything ND has ever written, but i'm biased because i like the deacon actor and the sons of anarchy angle.

I was merely talking about gameplay, the melee is similar and the game feels like a more arcadey, lower quality tlou, at least animations\gunplay wise, i can deal with people liking the more arcadey movements of deacon.

And for me animations and gunplay\melee being meaty and well animated are kings, so i'm always gonna prefer tlou over dg gameplay.

bitbydeath

Do you realize that Demon Souls was developed by FromSoft for PS3 and then ported to PS5 with new graphical and audio layer created by Bluepoint Games? The game logic and content has barely changed.
Yeah, I was referring to the PS3 release, it started it all.

GymWolf

No matter how much Horizon exceed in long ranged combat, her melee combat is totally trash.
Yeah, they improved in the sequel but the melee still feel dogshit compared to the excellent ranged combat against dinos (against humans is still pretty bad and far away from kz2).

For the sequel the need to overhaul the melee completely
nuke the jankiness during climbing and when she get stuck on micro obstacles on foot

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm not talking about the game in general, i have no problem in people liking dg more than tlou1 or 2, hell i prefer the story and characters in dg way more than anything ND has ever written, but i'm biased because i like the deacon actor and the sons of anarchy angle.

I was merely talking about gameplay, the melee is similar and the game feels like a more arcadey, lower quality tlou, at least animations\gunplay wise, i can deal with people liking the more arcadey movements of deacon.

And for me animations and gunplay\melee being meaty and well animated are kings, so i'm always gonna prefer tlou over dg gameplay.

I get what you're saying but for me a big part of the gameplay of Days Gone is riding that sweet, sweet bike. They nailed it. Possibly the best feeling offroad bike ever in a game.

And yeah, I'll take less 'ViScEraL" combat if I can have an amazing method of traversal like this one. Obviously Days Gone combat is way more 'arcade' but calling it more 'arcade' it's just another way of saying that it's more fun. Unpopular opinion, I know.

GymWolf

I get what you're saying but for me a big part of the gameplay of Days Gone is riding that sweet, sweet bike. They nailed it. Possibly the best feeling offroad bike ever in a game.

And yeah, I'll take less 'ViScEraL" combat if I can have an amazing method of traversal like this one. Obviously Days Gone combat is way more 'arcade' but calling it more 'arcade' it's just another way of saying that it's more fun. Unpopular opinion, I know.
It's not an unpopular opinion, many people just don't like weighty characters, i hate the opposite, floaty character that slide with no weight, DG strike a good balance, i'm just not a fan of the gunplay and melee compared to tlou.

I hate driving in games, i prefer fast supernatural traversal style like infamous, forspoken, attack on titan 2 (super underrated traversal and combat on hard) or crackdown or spiderman.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I hate drving in games

Must be trauma from driving in real life Sicily.

weighty characters

I hate when games do the 'slow aiming / MASSIVE recoil' kind of thing. And yeah, I guess TLOU2 falls into this category. That's not how it is when you shoot a gun in real life. You don't aim at a snail speed. You don't turn slower than Earth's rotation. And no, if you know what you're doing, the recoil is not sending your aim to the fucking moon after each shot.

GymWolf

I hate when games do the 'slow aiming / MASSIVE recoil' kind of thing. And yeah, I guess TLOU2 falls into this category. That's not how it is when you shoot a gun in real life. You don't aim at a snail speed. You don't turn slower than Earth's rotation. And no, if you know what you're doing, the recoil is not sending your aim to the fucking moon after each shot.
I don't give a fuck about how they do recoil, what matter to me is the moment from when the bullet touch the enemies, to their reaction to their demise on the ground, with or even better without some limbs and a couple of gallons of blood, and that's why many people love the gunplay in kz2 even if aim was shit.

That's why i unironically love the gunplay in rdr2 even if everything before that moment is dogshit.

People have different priorities when it comes to gunplay, me and people like @represent are light sociopaths and we love realistic depiction of violence, i started watching gorey horror movies when i was 4 so i have an excuse, i don't know what he tells to his shrink tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Of the games I played

Returnal - A+ combat and a fantastic game overall. Sad that it flopped twice. Way better on m/kb.

GoW 2018 - C+. kinda slow and clunky for my tastes.

Days Gone - C. bog standard third person shooter

Spiderman Remaster - B. Not great, but not bad take on the arkham combat system.

Last of Us ps4 remaster - B+. Combat feels good and satisfying. Sadly I played MgSV around the same time which shits on this from a great height imo.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Totally agree.

Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, God of War (like any of them ever) and The Last of Us Part II are all best in class combat.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think a lot of Sony first party games have really under rated combat options, and a lot of depth. I really don't think a lot of their games get the creit they are due. I attribute this to most players thinking of Sony games as single player games - basically you play it through on normal difficulty interact with a fair amount of the systems during your gameplay, complete the game and then shelf it. I think to get really explorre the depth you need to be one of those players who really engages with all facets of the combat, systems and mechanics. Most, if not all of their combat systems have a lot of options, support different gameplay styles and can be easy to use, but have so many layers of depth to actually master.

I was compelled to write this post after playing Spider-Man 2. While I am pretty bored of the 'endless waves', and finding the skills and abilities a bit overwhelming. But I'm starting to get a handle on them now (after being forced to tbh), and I was thinking of other games over the last few years that have been produced with the same underlying combat options. Stealth, combo, aggressive, passive, button masher, conservative and agressive playstyles all seem possible.

Am I mad, or is this a reasonable take? There seems ot be so many options, and I think they are games and systems where you get out what you put in. But if you choose to not, you're doing the combat design a disservice.

I never play games on Normal Mode. I usually play on hard mode or if there are more tiers above normal mode, it'll be the one before whatever nightmare ultimate difficulty is. I do this to try and have a great time the first playthrough as well as have replayability for going through a second time on the most difficult mode long as first time was enjoyable enough. I agree combat has always been great, although I think in Ghost of Tsushima you can get overpowered really fast and it's no longer fun for me at that point. God of War seemed to maintain the balance more often, though in that one...I feel like normal enemies ability to kill Kratos far exceeded Baldur's ability, which made no sense to me. Video game logic I guess. I haven't played Forbidden West yet, but in HZD I didn't realize how fun the combat was til I played it on PC. I put the game down on PS4 because I got bored, but then double dipped on Steam. The higher framerate and increased precision, just made feel like more of a badass hunter, whereas I was flailing about using a Dual Shock 4.

Solidus_T

I haven't played all of those on the list, but I am betting that Returnal and TLOU2 are a cut above other Sony games with it comes to combat.

MarkMe2525

Depends on if you subscribe to the existence of second party or not. Sony would consider it first party as they don’t believe in second party.

"According to Yeonkyung Kim of Sony, Demon’s Souls’ unique gameplay and unmistakably Japanese flavor caused SCEA and SCEE to balk, believing the game would fail in the West. Sony declined the opportunity to pick it up, letting Atlus reap the rewards instead.

"“That was a mistake,”" laments Kim. “It should have come out as a first-party title."

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-regrets-not-publishing-demons-souls-itself/

Admittedly I am being super petty here, as it turns out we are both right, depending on what territory you played the game.

Sony published in Japan while the western territories where published by Atlus.

Last edited:

The snail speed works though for Gears of War but in that game it makes sense. You are playing very large characters with very heavy armor and heavy guns.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Returnal's combat was so addictive to me that I was still playing it 200+ hours after I Platinumed the game. I had to delete the game off my PS5 because that was the only way I could truly move on. The game was negatively affecting my motivation to play anything else for a year.

Returnal's combat was so addictive to me that I was still playing it 200+ hours after I Platinumed the game. I had to delete the game off my PS5 because that was the only way I could truly move on. The game was negatively affecting my motivation to play anything else for a year.
too bad the game only had like what 6 biomes? The underwater one was kind of dog shit though. They should of done one that's a bit more colorful.

The underwater one was super atmospheric, cmon.
didn't care for the atmosphere when it was absolute dogshit to navigate and ugly as sin.

The 1st biome was the best and most atmospheric. Ice one sucked too. Game needed better environments. The derelict one was ok, 2nd was just a giant boring ass desert. The combat, mechanics and bosses is what made up for the game.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

too bad the game only had like what 6 biomes? The underwater one was kind of dog shit though. They should of done one that's a bit more colorful.
Even if I agreed(which I don't), stuff like that is inconsequential to me because at that point, it's totally about the combat.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I generally like combat in Sony first party games. There's so much care and attention. My main gripe with most Sony first party games is pacing. Great gameplay gets broken up by cinematic storytelling and side quest mechanics. Again, phenomenal games but not always consistently paced.

Still generally enjoy them.

Top Bottom