• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you bought on Epic Games Store

Have you ever bought a game on EGS that was not exlcusive?

• Yes I have bought a game(s) at full price on EGS that was not exclusive

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I only use EGS for free games

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I use EGS for free games and exclusives but nothing else

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • No I have never bought a game on EGS

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I have bought non-exclusive games at EGS

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I have used EGS for free games, exclusives and other games

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters

johntown

Banned
With all the free games that are offered and some of the exclusives I am wondering if anybody actually buys non-exclusive games on EGS? If the majority of people only use the store for free games and exclusives how does EGS actually make any money? Could Unreal and Fortnite bring in that much money? With Tencent being 40% invested is all the money coming from them?

If you use EGS as your main store why?

GymWolf

Metro exodus, borderlands3, hades, ashen and a couple of others.

Also maneater next week.

Not gonna wait a year to play the games i'm hyped for on steam...

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Epic must be playing some kind of long game hoping the free game bribes will switch people over from Steam. I doubt that can last forever and at some point Tenecent will pull the plug if Epic is proving not to be profitable. I am surprised at Fortnites tenacity, eventually people will tire of it and the next big thing must be around the corner.

Strazyplus

0 "free games do not count"
It is a soft boycott of sorts, but in the future, their store likely won't be a total shit to use and will stop taking the piss. in the meantime, I use the browser to take their free games but I do not play them. not yet anyway.

my primary store is steam but I plan to strongly divert to GOG for everything I can.

Also your poll is very lacking a certain vote or two.

> Only for free games currently

> No.

If EPIC is serious of being a storefront and actually take a bite out of steam they will learn to stop pissing the community off so much and get away with what they can. they will have to invest into their store and give us some features which so far seemed not much of a priority.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
0 "free games do not count"
It is a soft boycott of sorts, but in the future, their store likely won't be a total shit to use and will stop taking the piss. in the meantime, I use the browser to take their free games but I do not play them. not yet anyway.

my primary store is steam but I plan to strongly divert to GOG for everything I can.

Also your poll is very lacking a certain vote or two.

> Only for free games currently

> No.

If EPIC is serious of being a storefront and actually take a bite out of steam they will learn to stop pissing the community off so much and get away with what they can. they will have to invest into their store and give us some features which so far seemed not much of a priority.
I added an option for not buying any as I am on the category myself.

pr0cs

Kinda poorly limited poll options.
I bought a number of EGS games but not at full price and no not only exclusives.
Feels like the poll has an axe to grind against EGS

johntown

Banned
Epic must be playing some kind of long game hoping the free game bribes will switch people over from Steam. I doubt that can last forever and at some point Tenecent will pull the plug if Epic is proving not to be profitable. I am surprised at Fortnites tenacity, eventually people will tire of it and the next big thing must be around the corner.
Yeah that is what I wonder myself. If no one buys any games there other than exclusives how much longer will all the free games etc. last? I am thinking that is why they joined with Tencent....for the long game. They need a partner with deep pockets to keep this up. It will take time if they have any chance of actually competing against steam and probably GOG too.

Moogle11

Banned
Poll options don’t quite fit for me as I get the free games, have bought an exclusive (Hades before it was on Steam) and a game that was cheaper their after a coupon in one of their sales (Afterparty).

Price is the main thing for me. I’ll buy in whatever store/launcher a game is want to play is the cheapest in. Multiple launchers doesn’t bother me at all. Openness is not part of the appeal of a gaming PC. Having more competition and more options to find digital games cheap was a main draw to me. That said, I haven’t used my gaming PC nearly as much as I thought I would when I bought it 4 years ago, and haven’t really enjoyed any PC exclusives, so I doubt I’ll upgrade it.

johntown

Banned
Kinda poorly limited poll options.
I bought a number of EGS games but not at full price and no not only exclusives.
Feels like the poll has an axe to grind against EGS
I admit I am not a fan of them but I am wondering if anyone actually uses them for anything other than free games or exclusives? No axe to grind but I am open to other poll options too.

I added an option for anyone who has bought non-exclusive games from EGS too.

Other than Ashen and Transisitor, which I just bought on sale, I’m pretty sure I’ve only bought EGS exclusives and claim each free game as they come out.

johntown

Banned
Poll options don’t quite fit for me as I get the free games, have bought an exclusive (Hades before it was on Steam) and a game that was cheaper their after a coupon in one of their sales (Afterparty).

Price is the main thing for me. I’ll buy in whatever store/launcher a game is want to play is the cheapest in. Multiple launchers doesn’t bother me at all. Openness is not part of the appeal of a gaming PC. Having more competition and more options to find digital games cheap was a main draw to me. That said, I haven’t used my gaming PC nearly as much as I thought I would when I bought it 4 years ago, and haven’t really enjoyed any PC exclusives, so I doubt I’ll upgrade it.
I added another option that seems to fit your case better. Free games and regular/exclusives games.

johntown

Banned
No. Definitely don’t plan on it.

If/when EGS implements tropies/achievements, I will use it more, but I think Steam will always reign supreme for me and GOG Galaxy is just the best launcher. The stats it compiles regarding hours played and whatnot tickles my fancy
Yeah GOG 2.0 is really good. I could see them giving Steam a run for the money but that's a whole different thread.

Kacho

Only game I bought at full price is Outer Worlds.

Went on a spree this weekend because I kept getting $10 coupons. Bought MechWarrior 5, Control, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and SnowRunner.

I was initially in the camp where I would try and wait for the exclusivity period to end but it’s so fucking stupid. Going forward I’ll be grabbing games I want to play when they drop.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've only got free games and fortnite. Which i don't play and actually wonder if if I even have installed anymroe.

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus at full price.
I bought Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins and The Division 2 for 5 EUR each using 10 EUR discount coupon.
And recently I bought Control for 20 EUR, again using 10 EUR discount.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
3i86.gif

(but I'm kinda tempted to buy something with their current sale)

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm not gonna go off on my feelings on EGS's exclusives policy and why I think it's cancer for PC gaming, but I will never create an account, download the launcher, or accept any free game from EGS. If devs want to accept the guaranteed Timbux then they can do just fine without a sale from me.

lachesis

Well I got my Shenmue 3 backer demo on Epic (for free) and downloaded the free copy of GTAV the other day.
(I haven't played GTA5 before... for some reason GTA's are not my favorite type of game - control's too complicated for a simpleton like me... but will give it another try as I gave up GTA4 early on)

So far, $0 spent on Epic... and spent about 1-200 bucks on Steam sales over the years though.

johntown

Banned
Only game I bought at full price is Outer Worlds.

Went on a spree this weekend because I kept getting $10 coupons. Bought MechWarrior 5, Control, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and SnowRunner.

I was initially in the camp where I would try and wait for the exclusivity period to end but it’s so fucking stupid. Going forward I’ll be grabbing games I want to play when they drop.
Yeah I am still in the waiting camp. I just want all my games in one store without double-dipping. Still waiting to play Outer Worlds lol.

Shakka43

I've bought Detroit Become Human, Jouney, Assassin's Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 and (technically) Control as it came bundled with my graphics card. With all the free titles it makes up to about 60 titles on the Store.

Last edited:
I was going to buy my first game during the current sale, but even 75% + $10 off I couldn't find anything I really wanted. Maybe next sale.

Fbh

Bought Jedi Fallen Order and Control.

Between regional pricing and the $10 cupon they've now had twice, it blows away any sale I've seen on Steam since owning a gaming capable PC.
Fallen Order was $19 after the coupon like a month after launch
And Control was $6.99 after the cupon with the current sale.

Last edited:
RDR2, it was the cheapest one I found $38. I like the game. At the end of the day, a store is a store. If they have a game I want and it is cheaper I will purchase it there.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Control. It'll probably only ever be control that I pay for on that platform. It's my type of game and I couldn't wait for a steam release.

xrnzaaas

Nothing. All of their big PC exclusives are also being released on consoles so it's not an issue for me of not being to play them.

Ridaxan

Control, Jedi Fallen Order, Rune II.

Not at full price. All of those were +-$10 in my region after discount.

Kacho

Yeah I am still in the waiting camp. I just want all my games in one store without double-dipping. Still waiting to play Outer Worlds lol.
Yeah I get. Ideally we wouldn’t have to bother with Epic or Origins or Uplay but this is the future on PC I guess. GOG Galaxy 2.0 is a phenomenal launcher to manage all of your games. That team did a great job with it. You can tell they care about PC gaming user experience a lot.

Stuart360

Never have, and never will.
I'm determined to be the most useless user to Epic. I'll take my 50 free games, and never play any of them.

World War Z. No regrets. I would have bought more (exclusives) if not for my backlog.

Edit: Actually forgot that I bought Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal and Far Cry 5 on sale for 5€. They get redeemed on uPlay though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom