• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you bought on Epic Games Store

Have you ever bought a game on EGS that was not exlcusive?

• Yes I have bought a game(s) at full price on EGS that was not exclusive

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I only use EGS for free games

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I use EGS for free games and exclusives but nothing else

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • No I have never bought a game on EGS

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I have bought non-exclusive games at EGS

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I have used EGS for free games, exclusives and other games

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters

Barakov

Haven't bought a thing. I've been tempted before by BL3 and now the Saint's Row 3 remaster but I realize I'm better off either getting it on console or waiting for it to show up on Steam.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Epic must be playing some kind of long game hoping the free game bribes will switch people over from Steam. I doubt that can last forever and at some point Tenecent will pull the plug if Epic is proving not to be profitable. I am surprised at Fortnites tenacity, eventually people will tire of it and the next big thing must be around the corner.

I never quite understood why some folks think that you need to "Switch" from Steam.

You can use both platforms interchangeably.

According to my library I own 5 games on EGS.
The only one I bought: Satisfactory. I was really disappointed.

Had to look this up because I only use the GoG Galaxy 2.0 Launcher now. First time one of these "unifying clients" worked for me since the early 2000's where we used stuff like trillian to combine ICQ and other instant messengers.

/edit: I feel it's important to note that friends and me actually didn't get into Borderlands 3 because of EGS and decided to wait. By the time it came out on steam we lost interest.

Last edited:

chaseroni

Bought Jedi Fallen Order and Control.

Between regional pricing and the $10 cupon they've now had twice, it blows away any sale I've seen on Steam since owning a gaming capable PC.
Fallen Order was $19 after the coupon like a month after launch
And Control was $6.99 after the cupon with the current sale.

How did you get Control for so cheap??
I see it on sale for 29.99$ which would make it 19.99$ for me after coupon

Edit: Is it a regional thing? I'm in the US

Last edited:

Fbh

How did you get Control for so cheap??
I see it on sale for 29.99$ which would make it 19.99$ for me after coupon

Edit: Is it a regional thing? I'm in the US

Yeah it's regional.
It's very publisher dependent but both Epic and GOG tend to have some really great regional pricing around here

Same thing happened with me. The word of mouth wasn't exactly great and by the time it hit Steam the shine had fallen off. If it ever hits $20 I'll probably grab it.
No wonder hype and PR are so important. Many big games wouldn't stick if we all went after word of mouth and reviews.

iorek21

No, and I'll probably never buy anything from them, even if it's a permanent exclusive. I prefer to pay a little more on PSN than giving my money to this POS.

Though I feel sorry for the indie devs that opt for the exclusivity deal; Outer Wilds got a bunch of GOTY awards last year and it was barely spoken about (outside media sources) because it was an Epic Exclusive. The good-old best game that no one has played.

Outer Wilds will probably get some recognition when it is released on Steam, but well... I don't know if it will get any buzz

Javthusiast

Banned
A ton of free games, 0 games bought.

Mostly because I don‘t actually play pc games, cause my pc isn‘t beefy enough and I am more of a console plebian anyway.

I just collect the freebies for the future should I get a gaming pc and many free games are indies so they can run on my pc right now.

Makariel

No account, never installed it. VR games are more at home at steam IMO since valve is putting it's weight behind it, so as long as Tencent ehrm epic doesn't get full steam on the VR train I'm not buying.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Only for free games and bought World War Z. Haven't played it much and feels fucked in the ass that it was recently free.

Makes me feel I don't want to pay for something that might eventually go free.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I bought Control, Metro Exodus and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order when it was on sale for $40. I probably would have bought more if their storefront was as useful as Steam. I can’t even browse properly within the launcher with pages failing to load constantly.

Dacon

Banned
I picked up far cry bc im a broke turd

but if anyone wants to get me rdr2 as an early birthday present i wont complain

dcx4610

Exclusives only. Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit, Heavy Rain, Ghostbusters and Control.

It's actually not a bad platform. Good sales, minimal interface and everything works properly. The issue of course being that we are all used to Steam and want our games in one place. Other than that, it's fine.

JayK47

My plan was to never touch it. Then I got several promotional game keys that had to be used at Epic, so I finally caved. I have been surprised at the quality of their free games. I have a decent library of games with them now. I still prefer Steam and plan to never pay for a game on Epic. But plans could change if the right game is only on Epic.

MetalRain

I've bought Outer Wilds, Metro: Exodus, Control, Borderlands 3 and Phoenix Point. I would have bought them from Steam if they were not exclusives so I guess their deals have worked.

Competition is generally good thing, but I don't really like exclusives.

Aidah

0 games bought, exclusive or not. 0 free games redeemed, I'm not using shit I don't like just because it's giving away free stuff. I even refunded Shenmue 3, which I had backed.

Initially, I did download EGS, create an account and gave it a shot. Didn't take long to realize it's garbage that I didn't want to use or tie purchases to.

For me to use it or have any respect for it, first they need to vastly improve the platform and it's features. Secondly, they need to stop buying up 3rd party exclusives, and replace them with 1st party exclusives or at least commissioned exclusives.

Heard GTA5 was free on there, went and downloaded it. Got a $10 coupon since they're giving one for every "purchase" even ones that cost no money. Grabbed Assassin's Creed Odyssey since I've been waiting to get it for cheap (was already on sale for $20, brought it down to $10) and then got AC3 Remastered with the next $10 coupon since AC3 was one of my favorite AC games. So overall, 3 games for 20 bucks, and all games I've wanted to play for a long time but have been too broke for. Not bad.

Hustler

Made my first ever purchase on the Epic Store with this Mega Sale event, I used the $10 coupon to purchase Witcher 3 complete for $5. Other than that, free games and fortnite.

DiscoJer

I just bought "Old World" which is an exclusive still in early access. It's basically a new Civ style game from the designer of Civ IV (arguably the best Civ) with CK2 style families and some other interesting innovations.

I had snarfed up almost all the free games, but never felt compelled to install the launcher for any of them until I bought Old World.

GHG

Gold Member
Maybe my wording was poor but switching as in the "main" digital store front used for gaming.

Making that your main digital store would be equivalent to making Stadia your primary gaming platform.

At that point I'd question whether you actually want access to high quality games or whether you're just a corporate shill.

Top Bottom