• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't play because of their art style

Mono

Rayman games.

Everyone tells me theyre amazing platformers but I cant get over the stupid looking art style and how everything has "goofy" and silly sound effects.

Really? I think the aesthetic looks nice on the new ones. The 3D ones look pretty bad, though.

There are games I see the art style of and think"what the fuck this looks TERRIBLE" but if it turns out the gameplay is good, nothing will stop me from playing it

Sorry to hear that. You're really missing out on two fantastic platformers.

Wtf there's more than just 2 good Rayman games you jerk

Almost every Indie Game on PS4.

Yes I look at octodad and towerfall and war thunder and war frame and just think man this art style is tiring I wish these didn't all look the same

SimonM7

If I let art styles or superficial design that kinda puts me off actually put me off, I wouldn't be playing very many games.

I think the baseline for aesthetics in games is pretty generic, which is usually what you get when you try to appease everyone. The Dante design everyone hated was reduced down to MAN IN GAME -- to great success, question maarrrk. Not saying the first design was the bestestest ever, but it's a recurring theme that things that stick out usually get filed down to something thoroughly inoffensive and safe. Including art styles.

Some of my favourite games are games I'd typically go "urrrrrgh" over until picture frames started coming off the walls. Gears of War, for instance. Gears 2 is easily one of my favourite games of the past generation, but everything about it aesthetically borders on comical, I find it so aggressively masculine and action figure-esquely grim. OH! Although I did fancy the Locust city bits, those were pretty interesting.

Really, aside from animations and other feedback related visual cues, video games and their looks are two wildly different components that both very seldom click for the same person. It's a total lottery, really, and dismissing a game that would tickle you mechanically because the art style doesn't click is frankly a bit of a luxury, in my opinion.

Daouzin

World of Warcraft and anything that looks like generic fantasy.

When I saw people playing WoW after being invested in Final Fantasy XI I just didn't understand how. XI was beautiful at the time and character animations were crazy cool. WoW just seemed so generic compared and ridiculously easy.

Rayman games.

Everyone tells me theyre amazing platformers but I cant get over the stupid looking art style and how everything has "goofy" and silly sound effects.

I loved the aesthetics of the first Rayman game so much, but I agree, they've taken the style a bit too far. They're still beautiful if you can look past the weird character design.

quickwhips

There are games I see the art style of and think"what the fuck this looks TERRIBLE" but if it turns out the gameplay is good, nothing will stop me from playing it

Wtf there's more than just 2 good Rayman games you jerk

Yes I look at octodad and towerfall and war thunder and war frame and just think man this art style is tiring I wish these didn't all look the same

I like the look of octodad but towerfall just looks like crap and war thunder is middle of road. I believe that gameplay should be the biggest factor and I haven't played Towerfall yet. But local only multi will sorta suck.

Top Bottom