• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you got turned and burned on?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Another vote for the Bioshock games - honestly to me they're just mediocre shooters and the story didn't grab me much. Bioshock infinite is especially poor - it just feels like a shooting gallery.

AI War - hyped to death but honestly just so clunky to try to play that I abandoned it like the turd it is.

Ark - seriously it's beyond janky and not good enough to justify that. Boring as sin.

Consortium - Again, hyped in the media as this amazing adventure - honestly I couldn't get interested in it.

Dishonored - Style over substance - not very interesting.

Prey - Just another mediocre shooter - I don't get the SS2 comparisons people make, honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traianvs

Monster Boy and the cursed kingdom.
I love the Wonder Boy saga and Dragon's Trap is on of my favourite games ever so I was expecting a spiritual sequel using a similar formula. Exploration, combat, a few puzzle and character powering up thanks to weapons and armour.
While I still think that monster boy is a good game, I found it to be too focused on puzzle solving. EVERY fucking room you enter there's a puzzle to solve, turning the progression of the game to a crawl. Exploration was boring and combat too sparse and easy to really make the equip progression worthwhile.
I guess they tried to improve the lenght of the game with all these puzzles but I think they obtained the opposite result. While I have countless replays of dragon's trap for HUNDREDS of hours (and Wonder Boy 3 is actually a very short game) I doubt that I'll ever replay in my life the 20 hours I spent completing Monster Boy

GreatnessRD

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Never been so hurt in my life for an ending. Playing on the hardest mode and with no HUD a few times only to get that. That fuckin' hurt, son, lol

IKSTUGA

I've been disappointed way too many times (maybe I should stop buying every hyped game that comes out). Here are some of the recent disappointments:

Monster Hunter Series
Tried a bunch of them (maybe 3, GG and World). The combat is just awful and clunky. Don't like the artstyle and characters either. Cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could enjoy these games.

Red Dead Redemption 2
I thought the first one was pretty good. This one is way too slow and clunky, no thanks.

Final Fantasy XV
To be honest I gave up pretty early on. Give me back classic Final Fantasy. The characters and combat are just gross.

The Division
Usually I like ubi games, this one I didn't. The gunplay is bad and setting really uninteresting.

Mass Effect Andromeda
No explanation needed. Wasn't really hyped by anyone, but obviously I had to get it, having played the original trilogy bazillion times.

Dragon Age: Inquisition
What the eff happened? The previous entries had interesting story archs and characters. This one is as dull as a rock. Side quests are all also like "collect 10 sheep shits in the field" and shit.

Greatest disappointment of all time: Street Fighter V
I used to be really into Street Fighter back in the day, not anymore. The combat in V still feels ass even after years of fixes. I bought the original and AE both at launch, dropped both like few weeks in. SF4 I played for over 1000 hrs if you combine all versions. Hopefully SF6 takes more inspiration from SF2/4.

Last edited:
My hat in this ring:
Batman - Arkham Origins!

I was really carefull with Arkham Asylum, because the last Bat-game before that was the PS2-Batman-Begins.Asylum was awesomeballs! So, when City came out, I bought the Steelbook-Edition (my first CE/LE in games) and I goddamn loved it.So what can go wrong? I thought and bought the massive Collector's Edition of Origins.

And Jesus wept! "Optimized" (*fucked up) combat, the same map as in City (plus a bit), textures so muddy, they could have been lent from the Begins-game... Man, I was salty.

So salty, I waited out Knight until the complete edition was like 18€ or something on PC (and until the fucking game was playable)!

Dragon Age Origins: It has a lot of the right ideas in terms of gameplay design but is let down by everything else. In terms of artstyle I consider it a legitimate contender for worst looking video game in existence. Everything is brown and gray and slow and boring and not in a slow-burn kind of way. Nothing and no one in this game stands out to me as an interesting or memorable visual design.

The level design can also suck a high hard one. Areas like the Fade and Orzammar just go on and on and on and on and on and on for no reason, slowly guiding you through a 10 kilometer long brown and gray tunnel to engage the same generic group of enemies for the 60th time. Every area feels unnecessarily padded.

Outside of the main theme the soundtrack is one guy blowing into a trombone for an hour and calling it a day.

ROMhack

Lately, it’s mostly indies. Indies seem to get a LOT of praise, and there’s been quite a few that just didn’t do anything for me.

Oxenfree is one of the first that jumps to my mind. I just thought it was more of a chore than fun to play through, and the I didn’t think the story was as amazing as people said it was.

I'm with you on that. I think the problem is that they're not actually good unless you can relate to them in some way, which a lot of people bigging them up do.

Oxenfree is basically a game for people who were born mid-late 1980s. Culturally, I feel it loses some appeal for people not in that bracket. You can say the same about Gone Home.

Last edited:
God of War for me. Was promised God killing goodness where you can move mountains but have to solve puzzles to advance for some reason and keep fighting the same troll. The writing and visuals are good but the puzzles are stupid easy and really just a way to slow down the game. The game opens up early on and shows you other worlds then tells you you can't go there. Then your kid becomes more whiny than anakin. Got like 3-5 missions after getting the chains and haven't returned.

To the Moon.

If an RPGMaker game with laughably bad dialogue and story makes you emotional, please seek professional help.

Firewatch.

Shorter than the hair on my bald head. Tedious, annoying dialogue. Animations that look WIP (that jump, lol). Completely uninteresting and underused world. Story that feels half finished. Tedious opening visual novel guff, that feels like a placeholder for a more meatier opening, far too many intermissions breaking up the rhythm of the game.......I don't have a clue what Valve saw in this game.

ABZU

A game of very little substance.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with you on that. I think the problem is that they're not actually good unless you can relate to them in some way, which a lot of people bigging them up do.

Oxenfree is basically a game for people who were born mid-late 1980s. Culturally, I feel it loses some appeal for people not in that bracket. You can say the same about Gone Home.

I was born early 80s and it's still shit.

Shifty

You wouldn't know what a strawman was if someone beat you about the head with one :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Literally your entire interaction with me has been attacking an assumed stance (or 'strawman') that I'm looking to drop a sick own and brand your opinion on MHW (as opposed to your garbage stance on its fans) as wrong.

Ahh, goodness me, that's funny. We're done here, enjoy being angry at everyone.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Witcher 3.

It's extremely unpolished in every aspect of the game.
OST is nice though and the graphics, but other than that it's just very mediocre

iconmaster

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I loved its painterly style and was excited at the idea of 1:1 motion-controlled sword swinging.

But its game world is a series of narrow, reused (and reused again) corridors with a few great dungeons mixed in; and the sword swinging gets frustrating when you're expected to react quickly.

I finished it out of obligation, and regretted my time with it entirely.

Never do that again, Nintendo.

zeorhymer

What is 'We Happy Few' like? I was super interested in this.
It's a first person survival game with a story. It's set in a dystopian England where folks take a drug called joy to keep happy. You stop taking the drug because you started to remember your past life and get hunted by guards and leave town. Then you go running around gathering food, water, supplies to craft and fend off random baddies to try to find your past. It has a 60s vibe aesthetic.

Last edited:
NeiR Automata.

Got hyped by the demo and bought the CE for £180.

Now I did not regret the game itself. It was certainly a good game, but I felt like I let myself down on it having a lot of content in the game itself.

Certainly not worth the £180 and will mever consider dropping that much again...especially from Square Enix.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, spend that much on any game and you're gonna feel burned.

Vandole

Valkyria Chronicles 4. I'd been dying for a full fledged console sequel since the original and after 10 years of wait...I wasn't impressed. Weak characters, ridiculous storyline, and overall just too long. Way too many things locked in the post-game that require a lot of grinding to access too. I have no interest in touching the game again, and honestly it's killed my interest in the series.

sn0man

Literally every MOBA, battle royale and team objective games like Overwatch and Team Fortress 2. I just don't see the appeal, and I actively tried to get into some because some of my friends are obsessed with them.

Based on your friends this might be a wasted suggestion... have you tried Heros of The Storm? As an “old man” that didn’t understand or play MOBAs but who liked diablo Heros of The Storm fulfilled that build and have fun coop loop from diablo 2 on a more manageable scale. Disclaimers: the game is not as popular and your lol dota friends will not dignify it. I mainly play vs AI.

'Shadow of War' is a much better game than Mordor, with much less QTE shite. You can get the game cheap as hell already as well if you shop around.
You should give it a shot if you see it cheap sometime.

PSA: For collectors the complete / full version in PAL region is on a disc I believe. At least based on the YouTube unboxers.

Nioh.

"You like souls game? Nioh is one of the best!"

Goooooo fuck yourselves, internet. The game is garbage. I had to actively force myself to finish the base game and I still get mad every time I see it in my Steam library. It's an overdeveloped, unbalanced melting pot of conflicting ideas with no clear identity and only a few hours of content recycled to excess.

You may have spared me on checking this one out or at least picking it up before a big sale. Thanks!

Azula

Neo Member
Have to go with Persona 5. But I hyped myself. 4 is my favorite game of all time, and I adored 3.

Don’t get me wrong 5 is a technical masterpiece. The music, the graphics, the menus and UI. Even the combat. In terms of the technical, it’s above the rest.

However, the story went on way too long. And while aspects of the narrative were interesting, I had major issues with the last half. The game doesn’t spend enough time with the group of friends. A lack of those story moments that show them bonding and let the audience connect and care about their relationships. By the time the game was over, I had no idea why some them were friends.

The biggest sin of all, they botched the relationship stuff and the individual story arcs. You got Ann
being set up with a story of sexual abuse, and all the trauma and fall out from the stuff she dealt with her friends and school. But her plot? She wants to be a movie star! Just because...she watched a kick ass animation when she was younger. Oh and she has some stupid rivalry with another model. Because that’s relevant to the story she starts out with.

So many examples of them having great potential with the characters, only to squander it. Also Mementos was kind of ass.

By the time I got to the 4th dungeon, i was burnt out. And lastly, I feel the outdated system with how you spend your days, earn stat points, and dating is finally catching up with the series. It’s just not good. I hate that I feel this way about 5. Because there is so much I love about it. I want to love it. But the more time goes on, the more the game doesn’t entirely sit well with me. And that sucks. :/

Last edited:

Verdanth

Have to go with Persona 5. But I hyped myself. 4 is my favorite game of all time, and I adored 3.

Don’t get me wrong 5 is a technical masterpiece. The music, the graphics, the menus and UI. Even the combat. In terms of the technical, it’s above the rest.

However, the story went on way too long. And while aspects of the narrative were interesting, I had major issues with the last half. The game doesn’t spend enough time with the group of friends. A lack of those story moments that show them bonding and let the audience connect and care about their relationships. By the time the game was over, I had no idea why some them were friends.

The biggest sin of all, they botched the relationship stuff and the individual story arcs. You got Ann
being set up with a story of sexual abuse, and all the trauma and fall out from the stuff she dealt with her friends and school. But her plot? She wants to be a movie star! Just because...she watched a kick ass animation when she was younger. Oh and she has some stupid rivalry with another model. Because that’s relevant to the story she starts out with.

So many examples of them having great potential with the characters, only to squander it. Also Mementos was kind of ass.

By the time I got to the 4th dungeon, i was burnt out. And lastly, I feel the outdated system with how you spend your days, earn stat points, and dating is finally catching up with the series. It’s just not good. I hate that I feel this way about 5. Because there is so much I love about it. I want to love it. But the more time goes on, the more the game doesn’t entirely sit well with me. And that sucks. :/

giphy.gif

Are you me from a parallel universe? I agree 110% with you.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
Bioshock Infinite.

Like I'd go as far as to say it's a very boring average game that looked nice and got fantastic reviews. Like how? It's one of those "Did we play the same game", moments.

I would say my usual answer: Final Fantasy XV but I bought that only recently for very cheap so I can't say I was too burned. The game was still shit though.

Very true. Infinite was when I first realized the gaming media was full of shit.

Azula

Neo Member
giphy.gif

Are you me from a parallel universe? I agree 110% with you.

Hah. It’s funny like how you feel crazy, when everyone else is throwing insane praise on it. I get that it’s subjective. And I also don’t expect every game to be 4. I can accept games on their own terms, and don’t expect them to be the same thing.

But so many writing things in this game make no sense. Makes me wonder if they got different writers, since they have always been consistent in terms of plot following through. But in 5? Nah. Just set up potential story, and go a different direction.

It’s almost as if they spent so much time perfecting the engine and all the technical elements, they pushed the story and character stuff to the back. But persona literally lives and dies on the story / character relationships and personal arcs. By far the weakest in the series.

It does give me hope that 6 can be amazing tho cuz they have the engine down and can focus more on the writing.

*highfive* on thinking the same 😂

JimmyJones

Banned
Bloodborne.

Everyone tells me its the best PS4 exclusive and its genre defining and this and that..... Yet I cant help thinking everyone is mad.

*shrug*

How far did you get? The majority of souls haters are people who couldn’t handle the difficulty and dropped it.

BOTW. Before you bring out the pitchforks, I'll try to explain: I got a Switch in December 2017. By that time I'd been told repeatedly that it's basically the best game that ever will be made for the past nine months non-stop, so my expectations were extremely high and I was really looking forward to playing it.

I’ve been a Zelda fan since I played ALTTP as a kid. BOTW is complete garbage when compared to OOT/MM etc. Skyward Sword was the beginning of Zelda’s downfall. It was the first Zelda I never finished... then BOTW came out. Don’t even get me started.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Most “10/10” reviewed games I just wasn’t really into. Like Witcher 3, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Most recently, I thought Mario Odyssey was ok but didn’t like it as much as a lot of other Mario games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
NeiR Automata.

Got hyped by the demo and bought the CE for £180.

Now I did not regret the game itself. It was certainly a good game, but I felt like I let myself down on it having a lot of content in the game itself.

Certainly not worth the £180 and will mever consider dropping that much again...especially from Square Enix.

You can sell the CE for a good 40-50% more than you paid for it right now. Well worth the investment if you didn't care for the goodies inside.

molasar

Banned
Resident Evil 2 Remake. In comparison to the original it did not meet my expectations. Its pacing is not right, has forgettable soundtrack (the old does not count here), felt like a chore and a novelty of modern graphics, gameplay and mechanics wore off quickly. It is like something is missing in it and made me not wanting RE3 and Dino Crisis remakes done in the same way.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
BOTW. Before you bring out the pitchforks, I'll try to explain: I got a Switch in December 2017. By that time I'd been told repeatedly that it's basically the best game that ever will be made for the past nine months non-stop, so my expectations were extremely high and I was really looking forward to playing it.

And then I did, and... it's more a case of "it's not you, it's me". I can see why people love it. But I'm not really that into sandboxes. Some of the mechanics I find quite annoying. The combat doesn't really click. I miss the old Zelda dungeons. Sure, I can do a lot of stuff in a huge world - but the game fails to answer "but why?" . I put something like 20 hours into it and haven't felt an urge to touch it since. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's just not for me it seems.
A friend recently bought BOTW and I can talk enthusiastically about the mechanics of the game, because they're really impressive. But then I start remembering that when I actually play it, it's not the greatest thing ever and I came away thinking it was probably a 7/10 at best. I'm also still bitter than in one dungeon I had to do something I had no reason to believe I could do, which was light the tip of an arrow on fire (but not myself or my bow) then shoot it through a hole in a door. I've been told there's a trial that teaches you that, but I've never seen it. I try and play the game every now and again to see if it clicks more, but then it doesn't.

Also, GTA4. How anyone found that more entertaining than the GTA3 trilogy is beyond me.

Last edited:

INC

Bfv

Absolute mess

Company turned on it's own playerbase, I run a league for bf, and a bf has always been my go to mp game, so feel let down overall

Zimmy68

It's funny people mention Bioshock Infinite. I turned and burned on it when it came out. I was bored to tears.
But then I decided to actually learn the RPG and combat system and not play it like a standard game.
The game opened it up, Vigors I didn't bother with became my favorite. I stopped using the guns and became an OP killing machine.

My turn and burn game is Bloodborne. Maybe I needed to give it more time but it seemed like a PS3 era corridor shooters with updated visuals.

You can sell the CE for a good 40-50% more than you paid for it right now. Well worth the investment if you didn't care for the goodies inside.

You're right but there is a few issues with the CE Box itself that I may lose money on it.

The way the sleeve is presented, I accidentally ripped a little on the corner and I think the glue that holds the bottom part of the inner box has undone.

Everything else is fine but I wouldn't like to charge £250 for a CE that has manufacuring problems.

I would probably sell it at a loss as you know how eBay can be if you don't describe every little problem on an item. :/

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
GTA5
One of my favorite games went mainstream, sportscars can drive up 60 degree dirt slopes. It's all about online now. Installed GTA4 again.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
GTA5
One of my favorite games went mainstream, sportscars can drive up 60 degree dirt slopes. It's all about online now. Installed GTA4 again.

If only I could get GTA 4 to actually fucking work.

molasar

Banned
Quantum Break - I absolutely LOVE everything about the game, literally, every single aspect - story, gameplay, graphics, sounds, music, universe. characters. I can't tell if it got into my top 10 games of all times, but it surely is very close. Frankly, people didn't like the game for were the totally optional, totally skippable live-action cut-scenes, which I agree were a little too long, but other than that? I'm a sucker for retrospective narration whether it comes to books, movies, video games, so I got instantly hooked into the game. Time travel/manipulation? Again, huge fan of that theme. Moden/not too distant future setting? Same, my most preferable one. The gameplay is top-notch, it's literally Max Payne 2.0, all the guns are great to use as well (not much variety of them tho). The music creates amazing atmosphere. The story itself is IMO engaging, as there is this whole mystery around the characters that saw the end of times, who is really who, on which side he/she really is etc. I hope one day Remedy will release the sequel, because dear lord that cliffhanger... just when you think finishing the game will answer all the question, your appetite gets even bigger.
Wrong thread.

Mass Effect: Andromeda and Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness; fucking game had no integrity, was short and had graphics that the Dreamcast pioneered decades ago. Enemy variation was shallow and battles were all a cake walk. Disappointment from top to bottom.

Dunki

Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the game for the first 4 chapters and then there as chapter 5. I stopped because I lost total interest in it and never played it again or want to play it again..

Same with the Council. I really liked when I first played the first 2 episodes. They were intriguing and I wanted to play more of it. But then when part 3-5 got released I got totally out of the game and never played it again....

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the game for the first 4 chapters and then there as chapter 5. I stopped because I lost total interest in it and never played it again or want to play it again..

Same with the Council. I really liked when I first played the first 2 episodes. They were intriguing and I wanted to play more of it. But then when part 3-5 got released I got totally out of the game and never played it again....

I've done that on a number of games - but going back to some of them as part of the backlog clearing (see https://www.neogaf.com/threads/no-new-games-in-2019-unfinished-backlog-only.1470613/) has been wonderfully therapeutic. Much of the time one arrives at these states because the new shiny-shiny comes along, or one has FOMO over some other game. Enforcing some proper discipline and only having 2 games on the go at one time (along side my perennial installs like Super Meat Boy, Super Hexagon, Speedball 2, etc) has enabled me to be more focused and to get more enjoyment out of my games, including ones I have previously bounced off of.

0neAnd0nly

Superman N64 , though this wasn’t the internet hype at the time obviously. I remember reading a lot of the press leading up to its release though hyping it ... yeah.

Socom: confrontation - game ended up being great, but same thing - mega hype from online and gaming publications. I remember reading one magazine in particular where the preview was talking about during his play he could hear a grenade roll on the street towards his player and tell the angle from the sound and all. Massive overhype. Game launched and was extremely bugged and barely worked for days/ weeks. Once it got going it was a solid game, but I think the initial frustration burned a lot of people out.

TLOU - at least for me. IMO, Uncharted is still ND’s GOAT. Just more enjoyable and cinematic to me.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
About BotW, I think it's an 8.5 for me. I liked it, but there were definitely times I was wandering around the world (especially later in the game) where things just didn't seem as interesting. There were a lot of repetitive elements tbh. And I never was excited about what the next dungeon or shrine would be like, since they were all the same. It wasn't necessarily the 10/10 game all the journalists hyped it up to be, imo.

OldGamer

Remembering a few more.

Yoshi's Story: I absolutely loved Yoshi's Island and figured this would be a next gen update. But it turned out to be neutered in every way possible, which is a shame, because the core gameplay (minus the fruit collection nonsense) actually got more polished and tighter than the original. It was gorgeous at the time, but it was all smoke and mirrors to hide a skeletal frame. Donkey Kong Country gets more shit for pulling the same stunt, but that was actually a full game with 40 separate levels. Not as much as Yoshi's Island's 54 levels, but Yoshi's island has a paltry 24 levels, all of which can be ended early, can be beaten in a day even blind and without trying, and has hardly any unlockables. Possibly one of by biggest burns since I began gaming. To add insult to injury, it was one of the most cutesy Nintendo games ever made (and that's saying something) which both look and felt like a game made for toddlers--something I definitely would not call Yoshi's Island despite the storybook appearance and crayon artstyle.

Dragon Age Inquisition: While Dragon Age II hardly set the world on fire, that disappointment was sort of seen coming, due to the unusually short dev time and release of the game. DA:I was actually hyped up big and touted as the series return to form and introducing a truly open world. Bought in on launch and despite some early promise, proved to be little more than a single player MMO with very little in substantial sidequests, which previous BioWare games generally excelled at. In addition, some of the later worlds were absolutely barren aside from resource farming. The Oceanside/Mountain world was nice looking but totally devoid of anything to do. A few nice WRPG mechanics and distractions were not enough for me to turn over a new leaf, jsut stick it out to the sequel bait ending. At the time, it was the only BioWare game I did not buy DLC for.

Star Fox Adventures: This one was a pretty big burn. Was hyped as the first Next Gen Rare game and Rare game up until then were usually heavily polished and this one features Star Fox, and I loved Star Fox 64. I knew it was originally a game called Dinosaur Planet, but Conker 64 became Conker's Bad Fur Day and despite a few rough patches, a solid and bold experiment that I think is still respected today, and looking back I think I only got hyped for Conker because I had an EGM subscription and rarely read NIntendo Power anymore. But no, this one definitely got screwed by Nintendo interference and you could tell by playing it that the Star Fox franchise was tacked on at zero hour and was mostly Dinosaur Planet DNA. So what we got was a game with real potential that was a letdown on every turn because it could not tell its own lore, and adventure that was all too short and a final boss that was turned into a sub-SF64 Arwing battle

Gamernyc78

Banned
Witcher 3 (the mountains of dialog and ballerina combat just killed this gane for me after I was so excited).

Botw (lame bosses, repetitious shrines and empty world just didn't do it for me). I bought a switch just for this game. I must admit after I put it down for weeks I picked it up again and finished it but it wasn't that fun, magical adventure ppl led me to believe it was, at least imo.

Top Bottom