• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Before... interested?

They completely scammed steam users. At $40 a pop They sold at least 30,000 copies based on Steam numbers...that's at least 1.2 million dollars.

Coupled with the fact they didn't have employees to pay b/c they had "volunteers", they made out like bandits. Wouldn't be surprised if they are in Barbados or Cancun right now just waiting for things to blow over in a few months.
I've heard they are in hiding - likely under assumed identities - waiting for the plastic surgery to heal.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Steam/Valve doesn't pay out to publishers right away, they pay the month after. And no pre-orders were done.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but they also failed in their scam since Steam/Valve will now not payout a dime to them?

What the two brothers will have ended up with are the 5 years salary..

Steam/Valve doesn't pay out to publishers right away, they pay the month after. And no pre-orders were done.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but they also failed in their scam since Steam/Valve will now not payout a dime to them?

What the two brothers will have ended up with are the 5 years salary..
This was kind of my feeling.

For all the talk of scamming, who have the actually scammed successfully?

If they make no money, and everyone is refunded, then it was a failure.

Of course, they tried, but it just seems like they are completely clueless.

N30RYU

This was kind of my feeling.

For all the talk of scamming, who have the actually scammed successfully?

If they make no money, and everyone is refunded, then it was a failure.

Of course, they tried, but it just seems like they are completely clueless.
If you try to scam you are a scammer, and simple as that you must be charged for it.

If you try to scam you are a scammer, and simple as that you must be charged for it.
Yes, but where's the scam?

Does lying about the type of game constitute a scam?

Probably, I'd agree.

Then again, it's not a very clever scam if those being scammed get their money back.

Yes, but where's the scam?

Does lying about the type of game constitute a scam?

Probably, I'd agree.

Then again, it's not a very clever scam if those being scammed get their money back.
I would categorize it as a failed scam instead, they probably hoped that a lot of the initial install base would be oblivious to them being fucked over and hoped that they'll get that bag by next month. But, the backlash was too big and now they're basically in the red lol. People outside of gaming forums don't know shit about games even though they play something every day, one of my friends kept saying "Bro, The Day Before is coming out soon, it looks sick!" and I just couldn't believe that they weren't able to see any of the red flags. Just look at the Steam reviews, there are folks who played this garbage for more than 30h, like how?! Wtf is there to do for 30h? The scammers failed at the last step and pulled the plug too early, that's all there is to it, I'm sure they'll be back in a year with a different company name and different scam game, remember, they only have to succeed once and run off with a bunch of money.

Eiknarf

Banned
of course they purposely scammed people.

They sold 201,000 downloads

Then posted that there was HUGE fixes on the way just to prevent people from refunding in that two hour window!!

rtuGyc2.jpg
UKzOWhP.jpg

Rrrright there ^ is Fntastic stalling, saying, “Wait! Don’t refund it yet. We want the two hour window to pass you by, suckers!”

And they got ya

Last edited:
I commented about your response to what I originally said. You were the one who diverged first. I did not need a crystal ball to know the game would be a flop.
Your first comment was something like "this thread has aged like milk".

I then said something along the lines of why didn't you use your crystal ball if you are so smart.

That was the exchange.

You then replied it was obvious it was a scam and that it stole assets from other games.

That had nothing specific to do with the original post I made, which was more about any interest that still existed and whether anyone was waiting for the release, and also whether it was still possible they could delay it again.

That's why your initial comment about milk had no relevance and came across as a banal put down.

I responded in kind.

That's where we are.

Had you not tried to be a smart ass we could have engaged like adults, the way everyone else has.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Right here is all the proof that you need to show that they were scamming you.
Look at the date and time of the tweet.
tPL6IGj.jpg

Right here is all the proof that you need to show that they were scamming you.
Look at the date and time of the tweet.
tPL6IGj.jpg
Did the "huge update" that included "server and A.I fixes" actually happen?

I ask, because that tweet is the day after release and two days before they folded, so it's technically possible they could have done what they claimed.

Last edited:

nowhat

I don't understand how this got to be the most wishlisted game of Steam. It looked bad even before the release.
I'm guessing the supposed content of the game (instead of being the most basic extraction shooter ever)...

...but that makes it even more baffling. Survival (ehh) zombie (ehh) MMO (ehh). Like, all three are things that have been done to death, and at least personally not something that would interest me. People can be strange. And/or fooled by a couple of trailers.

Last edited:

Kupfer

In cooperation with Martin Dietrich (freelance journalist for GameStar) the German video game editorial team GameTwo has published a half-hour investigative video on The Day Before.
(Same people who did the video report on Gollum failings

I've spot-checked the automatically generated subtitles and they seem to be accurate.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I don't understand how this got to be the most wishlisted game of Steam. It looked bad even before the release.
Because people wanted an “open world Last of Us” (or a TLOU Part III), and this was definitely tying into that. One look at their logo, their font, and even the music used would suggest that.

Top Bottom