• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Yooooooo. It even has the green plasma ball guns. But the game doesn't appear to have a PC release. Which is odd! But it looks like it might be the game. I mean it might've been packed in an emulator wrapper or something. I remember it had a weird launcher with Spawn, so maybe that was some info about another emulator+game pack by the same dude, I remember there being a Spawn game on the PSX.

That must be it, because I even recognize the music. Thanks, you put an ancient mystery to rest :p
It could also be the game ONE for ps1. Looks and plays very similar to Apocalypse
https://youtu.be/fHbC06XO9gg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, it's close actually, and it looks like tons of fun. I'll have to check both that and Apocalypse out for sure. There's still the question whether it was an emulated PSX game on PC or a native PC game.

But I feel the colour scheme of Apocalypse matches much better with my vague memory, but the camera angle of ONE is exactly as I remember too. That green laser weapon you start with is familiar too. :lol

Game on the Amiga.

2D hack & slash. Foreground, player character and enemies are all black. Background is a white/grey colour (not too dissimilar from Limbo). Fantasy setting. Any ideas?

OnPoint

Thanks for the suggestions so far on the gothic 2d action sidescroller but none of those are it :(

Phediuk: Good thought with that gargoyle in Warlock, but apparently the gargoyle she remembers is in the background, and is huge, like, basically fills up the screen.

So far it's not:
  • Chakan
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Warlock
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Monster Boy
  • Jewel Master
  • Valis
  • Mazin Saga
  • Ghouls N Ghosts

If there are any other suggestions please lemme know. I can't believe I'm this stumped.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Was it really a Sega game? Demon's Crest does sound more likely but that was on SNES. So it was either a Sega Genesis, Saturn or Sega CD game?

Yeah, "Giant Gargoyle in the background"

hqdefault.jpg

Phediuk

Thanks for the suggestions so far on the gothic 2d action sidescroller but none of those are it :(

Phediuk: Good thought with that gargoyle in Warlock, but apparently the gargoyle she remembers is in the background, and is huge, like, basically fills up the screen.

So far it's not:
  • Chakan
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Warlock
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Monster Boy
  • Jewel Master
  • Valis
  • Mazin Saga
  • Ghouls N Ghosts

If there are any other suggestions please lemme know. I can't believe I'm this stumped.

There's not much more on the Genesis that could be considered "gothic" unless you're stretching a bit. With that said, I do still have a couple of suggestions:

There's the castle level in Pirates of Dark Water: https://youtu.be/UjtqpWV_pu4?t=851

And also this boss against a giant stone head in Blades of Vengeance: https://youtu.be/Gh1lIwhholM?t=3824

OnPoint

Was it really a Sega game? Demon's Crest does sound more likely but that was on SNES. So it was either a Sega Genesis, Saturn or Sega CD game?

That Demon's Crest picture is exactly how I'd picture, too, but she said she played it through Sega Channel. I'll show her that picture but honestly I really wish I had more to go on.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll see if any of these suggestions catch her attention.

There's this multiplayer PS1 game that I played a lot with my friends back then.
All I remember is we start at the sci-fi lobby and enter the middle room to start the match. There are several characters that we can choose to play as. Gameplay, I don't really remember except that you can shoot and throw things at your opponents. The battlefield is viewed in isometric mode and I think there's no splitscreen at all.

There's this multiplayer PS1 game that I played a lot with my friends back then.
All I remember is we start at the sci-fi lobby and enter the middle room to start the match. There are several characters that we can choose to play as. Gameplay, I don't really remember except that you can shoot and throw things at your opponents. The battlefield is viewed in isometric mode and I think there's no splitscreen at all.

Poypoy 1 or 2 maybe?

TasTokyo

I have one.

It was an arcade game that I guess I played around the early to mid 90s. Maybe around 95.

It was definitely Japanese made and the characters wore power suits, no masks though.

I seem to remember a blue character and a red one. The guy in the blue suit had spiky brown hair.

Iirc it was made up of lots of mini-games that were like tests of strength. The one that sticks in my head most is your character standing on train tracks and then trying to stop a speeding train in the shortest distance.

I remember thinking it looked like Gunstar Heroes but that could just mean anime style.

LGom09

That Demon's Crest picture is exactly how I'd picture, too, but she said she played it through Sega Channel. I'll show her that picture but honestly I really wish I had more to go on.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll see if any of these suggestions catch her attention.

Batman Returns is the only other Genesis game I can think of that has gargoyles (4:42).

I have one.

It was an arcade game that I guess I played around the early to mid 90s. Maybe around 95.

It was definitely Japanese made and the characters wore power suits, no masks though.

I seem to remember a blue character and a red one. The guy in the blue suit had spiky brown hair.

Iirc it was made up of lots of mini-games that were like tests of strength. The one that sticks in my head most is your character standing on train tracks and then trying to stop a speeding train in the shortest distance.

I remember thinking it looked like Gunstar Heroes but that could just mean anime style.

Numan Athletics from Namco? Train around 5:32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2LISdcPbw

jimboton

So far it's not:
  • Chakan
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Warlock
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Monster Boy
  • Jewel Master
  • Valis
  • Mazin Saga
  • Ghouls N Ghosts

There was a 'Gargoyles' game on the Genesis, you may want to check that one.

Edit: Ah you checked it, missed that on your first post. Maybe Shadow of the Beast or its sequel?

My girlfriend remembers a game she played on the US Sega Channel but doesn't have many details to go on. Here's what we got:

• It's like Castlevania, kinda
  • We looked at Gargoyles, and it was similar in style at first, but that isn't it
  • 2D, sidescrolling action platformer
  • Gothic
  • Not a brawler
  • At one point there was a huge gargoyle in the background, level 3 or 4 maybe? It was gray?
  • Not Monster Boy, Jewel Master, Valis, Mazin Saga, Ghouls N Ghosts

Anyone got any ideas?

Info on Sega Channel

Site features a partial list of games on Sega Channel, might help cut down on possibilities. Maybe Blades of Vengeance?

Can someone tell me what version of Oregon Trail I played?

I played it on a PC and I remember the characters being hand painted, if you camp at night there was a chance you could get robbed, at one time I remember there being a con man who did that game where you had to guess which cup had the ball underneath it, and the end of the game had you panning for gold.

Who

Banned
2 indie games im thinking of.

The first is that Prototype-inspired game that had a thread here like a week ago? Takes place in a vast green field.

The other is a pixelated smash clone for PC. One of the characters was like a fire lion.

LGom09

2 indie games im thinking of.

The first is that Prototype-inspired game that had a thread here like a week ago? Takes place in a vast green field.

The other is a pixelated smash clone for PC. One of the characters was like a fire lion.
Second one is Rivals of Aether.

Ok I don't have very clear memories of the game but it's driving me insane. The game is probably a RPG of some kind or an adventure game on console (Has to be on PS3, PS4, Wii or Wii U). I remember being in a "forest" area, must have been early in the game. I remember lots of backtracking, maybe I needed to activate some things. What I remember most clearly is an old golem (or robot?) in the area, deactivated. I remember trying a spell or an ability to make it come back to life and I was disappointed that it was not working... Any idea? Thanks!

Ok I don't have very clear memories of the game but it's driving me insane. The game is probably a RPG of some kind or an adventure game on console (Has to be on PS3, PS4, Wii or Wii U). I remember being in a "forest" area, must have been early in the game. I remember lots of backtracking, maybe I needed to activate some things. What I remember most clearly is an old golem (or robot?) in the area, deactivated. I remember trying a spell or an ability to make it come back to life and I was disappointed that it was not working... Any idea? Thanks!

Do you at least remember what combat was like? First person RPG ala dragon quest? third person?

autoduelist

Wild Arms? Playable on PS3 at least...

BooJoh

Ni No Kuni maybe?

Joohanh

Here's one that's been bugging me.

It's like a puzzle/quiz game from mid-nineties. In it, you try to, by solving stuff or answering questions correct, free a dude that's like a medieval joker from a medieval room. It also might be that some other dude is a joker and pops up to the screen from time to time. There's also a trap door or a box or something to which the dude falls if you mess up.

I was pretty young when I played is so this is all I've got. It might have come pre-installed with an IBM Aptiva PC or in a software disc package for it.

Ni no kuni

or Eternal Sonata (known as trusty bell in some countries)
hqdefault.jpg

Harlequin

Okay, so I remember stumbling across this game recently, I think it's still in development, but I forgot the name. It was a first-person indie survivial horror game, made with Unity, I think, and the setting was some sort of abandoned, futuristic mall which was really bright and colourful by day but then by night you were attacked by monsters or zombies... I think LOL? I may well be misremembering some parts of this but maybe anyone knows which game I'm talking about?

Okay, so I remember stumbling across this game recently, I think it's still in development, but I forgot the name. It was a first-person indie survivial horror game, made with Unity, I think, and the setting was some sort of abandoned, futuristic mall which was really bright and colourful by day but then by night you were attacked by monsters or zombies... I think LOL? I may well be misremembering some parts of this but maybe anyone knows which game I'm talking about?

Sounds like P.A.M.E.L.A.

AzureFlame

Hey guys anyone knows a Japanese PS2 game where the characters transform into monsters, the main character transforms into a monster with big right arm, it's a 3d beat em up type game.

I remember the 1st stage you fight outside a burning church (or school).

Sorry about my grammar i hope someone will answer.

duckroll

Hey guys anyone knows a Japanese PS2 game where the characters transform into monsters, the main character transforms into a monster with big right arm, it's a 3d beat em up type game.

I remember the 1st stage you fight outside a burning church (or school).

Sorry about my grammar i hope someone will answer.

Project ARMS I think. It's based on a manga and anime.

Slaythe

It s a game on Nes where you are a cosmonaut and jump around space. It s kind of a scrolling platformer. But vertically too ?

It was batshit insane hard but i liked the music :x .

Niahak

It s a game on Nes where you are a cosmonaut and jump around space. It s kind of a scrolling platformer. But vertically too ?

It was batshit insane hard but i liked the music :x .

Could it be Solar Jetman (Scrolling vertically and horizontally, insane hard, good music)? You're often in a ship and not jumping around, but otherwise it fits the bill pretty well.

Sijil

A game from my childhood, a platformer trilogy on the SNES staring a high school protagonist, at least in the first level of the first title in the series. The plot is about a magical sword, demons invading the Human realm I think, the game was in Japanese. In the first level the demons attack the girl then an unknown voice screams "Grab the sword" (paraphrasing) and flings the sword at her, she grabs it and then the first level starts.

I remember the game's name is based on the sword, the word "sword" was definitely in the title, and it certainly wasn't Sword of Mana.

jimboton

A game from my childhood, a platformer trilogy on the SNES staring a high school protagonist, at least in the first level of the first title in the series. The plot is about a magical sword, demons invading the Human realm I think, the game was in Japanese. In the first level the demons attack the girl then an unknown voice screams "Grab the sword" (paraphrasing) and flings the sword at her, she grabs it and then the first level starts.

I remember the game's name is based on the sword, the word "sword" was definitely in the title, and it certainly wasn't Sword of Mana.

Valis IV?

Kipper

This was a PC RPG (probably made in RPG Maker), I believe released some time in the 2000s or 2010s. It had 2d retro style graphics with an anime aesthetic. I actually haven't played this game, but I remember seeing a post a while back on Reddit about it. You play as a girl, I believe, out in a large boat. Apparently, the first couple of hours of the game are completely normal. Then the game takes a dramatic turn for the dark. I remember seeing a screenshot with a character whose head had been hollowed out, but they were still speaking.

Edit: Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea

Corpekata

Banned
There's a I want to say VIta game, maybe PS3, that looked like a sort of Dangononpa meets Dungeon Blobber game. Basically had turn based dungeon crawling sections and what looked like sort of a heavy investigation / adventure game sort of stuff out of them. Can't for the life of me find it. Not sure if it ever came stateside or if it ever came out in the first place.

Indrik

Neo Member
So it was an overhead 3D shmup where you controlled a dude who shot regular people and robots. The most vivid detail I remember is that you had some plasma gun that shot green energy balls at the enemies

Now, I found videos of a game called Expendable, it sort of fits but I remember the green plasma ball gun so well.
Here's a video of it in case someone can think of a game that's similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpO6RFedkE

I might just be remembering things wrong and the game is the one in the video, but I'm not quite sure.

Unsure if you found the answer.... Loaded for PS1 came to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2wKbELWCSg

derFeef

I am pretty sure that's very easy.
It is an Apache game, top down 3D graphics which were pretty sweet back then (late 90s?). Very arcadey and by no means a sim, with lot's of explosions and stuff like that.

eso76

I am pretty sure that's very easy.
It is an Apache game, top down 3D graphics which were pretty sweet back then (late 90s?). Very arcadey and by no means a sim, with lot's of explosions and stuff like that.

Apache as in the helicopter ?
Desert Strike / Jungle Strike ?

derFeef

Apache as in the helicopter ?
Desert Strike / Jungle Strike ?

Yep :) Not entirely sure it is an Apache. Sadly not those, graphics were very pretty realtime 3D /back then), but the tone is similar. It kinda looked like Heli heroes but the helicopter was much bigger and the FOV more narrow.

eso76

Yep :) Not entirely sure it is an Apache. Sadly not those, graphics were very pretty realtime 3D /back then), but the tone is similar. It kinda looked like Heli heroes but the helicopter was much bigger and the FOV more narrow.

Ahem..
Nuclear Strike then ?
Soviet Strike ?

Platform ?

Top Bottom