• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

Here's one that's been bugging me.

It's like a puzzle/quiz game from mid-nineties. In it, you try to, by solving stuff or answering questions correct, free a dude that's like a medieval joker from a medieval room. It also might be that some other dude is a joker and pops up to the screen from time to time. There's also a trap door or a box or something to which the dude falls if you mess up.

I was pretty young when I played is so this is all I've got. It might have come pre-installed with an IBM Aptiva PC or in a software disc package for it.

I'm wondering if this might be a slightly confused memory of Mindmaze, the game portion of Microsoft's Encarta encyclopedia. Bits of it are about right; meeting random characters (including jesters), the rough era of release, and the quizziness. The bit that doesn't match is your interpretation of the goal, though.

There's a I want to say VIta game, maybe PS3, that looked like a sort of Dangononpa meets Dungeon Blobber game. Basically had turn based dungeon crawling sections and what looked like sort of a heavy investigation / adventure game sort of stuff out of them. Can't for the life of me find it. Not sure if it ever came stateside or if it ever came out in the first place.

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunter? It came out like a month or two ago for both vita and PS3 in the US Ibelieve.

Edit: could also be the new game "Lost Dimensions"

Paasei

Two SNES games I'm trying to find on my attic.

First one:
A shoot 'em up game with a lot of Anime themed characters and whatever. You could play it co-op and there were these bells(if I remember right), that you could shoot to change colours which would then decide what power-up or weapon you'd get.

Seconde one:
A platforming squirrel in a forest environment. You could whip your tail to hit enemies.

DTJAAAAM

First one:
A shoot 'em up game with a lot of Anime themed characters and whatever. You could play it co-op and there were these bells(if I remember right), that you could shoot to change colours which would then decide what power-up or weapon you'd get.

One of the Parodius or TwinBee games?

Seconde one:
A platforming squirrel in a forest environment. You could whip your tail to hit enemies.

Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel?

Zolbrod

First one:

Seconde one:

First one: Pop'n Twinbee

Second one: Mr. Nutz

EloKa

Had a Playstation 1 on release day in europe (29th sept. 1995) and I had game on it (can't remember if it was just on the demo disc or if it was a launch title):

It was a racing game with a SciFi setting like WipEout.

Instead of a flat track you were racing in some kind of bobsled run / half-pipe. In the center of it there was some kind of rail or string (which went from start to the goal) and you could only rotate 360 degrees around this rail. You were basically only rotating around this rail / string / center point and didn't control your vehicle directly on the track like taking turns left and right.

And the game was in third person and you could see your vehicle from behind.

Anyone got an idea? Guess it was most likely on the first european / german demo disc

Glowsquid

Had a Playstation 1 on release day in europe (29th sept. 1995) and I had game on it (can't remember if it was just on the demo disc or if it was a launch title):

It was a racing game with a SciFi setting like WipEout.

Instead of a flat track you were racing in some kind of bobsled run / half-pipe. In the center of it there was some kind of rail or string (which went from start to the goal) and you could only rotate 360 degrees around this rail. You were basically only rotating around this rail / string / center point and didn't control your vehicle directly on the track like taking turns left and right.

And the game was in third person and you could see your vehicle from behind.

Anyone got an idea? Guess it was most likely on the first european / german demo disc

Cyberspeed.

EloKa

Wow you're right mate, thanks for that! Tried to find that for at least 6 months. Appearently the internet also doesn't know much about this game...

Just watched the gameplay and remembered why I got mad and decided to go back into town (after owning the PS for 2 hours) and bought a real game. :/

w3bba

my gf cant remember the name of an rpg she once played.
some details she gave me:

• 3rd person controls, like witcher, gothic etc
  • dark enviorments
  • you had a companion
  • characters looked rather ugly
  • some early quest involves a creepy hut
  • you didnt do much damage and it was rather hard

i know its not much, hope someone knows it. its definetly not two worlds, that much i can tell

Vandole

my gf cant remember the name of an rpg she once played.
some details she gave me:

• 3rd person controls, like witcher, gothic etc
  • dark enviorments
  • you had a companion
  • characters looked rather ugly
  • some early quest involves a creepy hut
  • you didnt do much damage and it was rather hard

i know its not much, hope someone knows it. its definetly not two worlds, that much i can tell

Any details on what system or when she played it?

It was on the NES.

It was sorta like Castlevania, but with a sword, I think. Side-scroller.

You could stop at a store during a level to buy items or upgrade or something.

Codiox

Looking for a point and click spy game on PC. The graphics where comic style (like the late monkey island games).

You played as a agent or spy( I think the color of his suit was blue) and in the last mission (at least I think it was the last) you had to defuse a bomb by cutting the right wire.

I thought it was In some sort of game collection like "play the games vol.", but u checked all of them and couldn't find it in there

Played the game around 1999/2000.

I have a really, really hard one: I never watched the game itself, just the box, and I came to me the other day out of the blue:

The game could be fantasy, or sci-fi, and it was either PC or Amiga, and all I remember from the box is a screen shoot of a robbed figure with an angry expression reaching to what I suppose was the silhouette of the protagonist, who was standing on top of table and was minuscule in comparison with the robbed man.

Other than that, I don't recall much of the box (it was around 1994 or 1995).

Maniac

Banned
I can't stop thinking about a game I saw announced at one point. It was like... A pixel-style game, where you had a homestead with your family, most of whom, if not all, were playable characters. (One a huntress, one a warrior etcetera)

And I seem to remember it having a kind of viking-esque aesthetic, although I might be completely misremembering in that regard. Does anyone have a clue as to what the game is called? Not even sure where it was announced, but I believe it was in 2014, so might've been TGS, Pax, E3 or Gamescom, if not something else entirely.

Cheers :)

Raptor

Arcade game, I played it around 1989 or something.

The game starts with you in some vehicle possibly a Jeep, then it crashes, and you have to go on fighting, is a side scroller, main character looks like Bruce Lee IIRC, the character does this motion with his arms in a circular fashion that when it ends an aura surrounds him, first is pink, then yellow and so on, when you die your spirit in form of an angel is floating around when "Continue 9, 8, 7.." is happening on screen.

Arcade game, I played it around 1989 or something.

The game starts with you in some vehicle possibly a Jeep, then it crashes, and you have to go on fighting, is a side scroller, main character looks like Bruce Lee IIRC, the character does this motion with his arms in a circular fashion that when it ends an aura surrounds him, first is pink, then yellow and so on, when you die your spirit in form of an angel is floating around when "Continue 9, 8, 7.." is happening on screen.

Kuri Kinton?

Oemenia

Banned
A game I played back in 97/98. In the demo, you were in a beach sort of environment with a static camera and it was some sort of beat-em-up. I remember it having the option of playing as a guy or a girl. One of the places in the game was a beach cave.

Another was a Sierra game from the same period (maybe even the same disc). It was a fantasy game and had a top-down view, it wasn't however an RTS from what I remember. I remember the environments being hand-crafted rather than the maps we see in RTS games.

I don't think it's Sword Master.

I played it a few times at the most about 22-23 years ago.

All I know that it was a sidescroller, involved the use of a sword, had bosses at the end of every level (I think).

I'm really narrowing it down. /s

Firebrand

This might not only exist and I've got NARC mixed up with some game with more hand-pixelled graphics, but...

Arcade game, sidescrolling street view like Final Fight etc, with a stationary (?) cop car on the first level.

Looking for a point and click spy game on PC. The graphics where comic style (like the late monkey island games).

You played as a agent or spy( I think the color of his suit was blue) and in the last mission (at least I think it was the last) you had to defuse a bomb by cutting the right wire.

I thought it was In some sort of game collection like "play the games vol.", but u checked all of them and couldn't find it in there

Except for the graphics being comic style, that sounds just like Countdown, including the end.

579_9.jpg

I played a game a few years ago, can't remember if it was on android or ipod though. It was set in space and you woke up on a craft that been seperated from the main spaceship. You have to find parts for the ship to be able to communicate again. I seem to remember it looked a little bit like asteroid and was very story driven. When i played it it was only the first chapter and was waiting for the second chapter to be made but lost the game.

Any ideas?

The only spy games that come to mind immediately are Operation Stealth/James Bond: The Stealth Affair & Teen Agent. Either of those?

Operation Stealth
hqdefault.jpg

Teen Agent
Teenagent%20(aka%20Teen%20Agent)_3.png

Codiox

The only spy games that come to mind immediately are Operation Stealth/James Bond: The Stealth Affair & Teen Agent. Either of those?

Operation Stealth
hqdefault.jpg

Teen Agent
Teenagent%20(aka%20Teen%20Agent)_3.png

No sorry, it looked more comic. The protagonist had black hair for what it's worth. Maybe it was a german only game?

Anarki

Hi, really hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm trying to remember the names of some mods for the original Quake.

One of them was where you could add in bots of varying degrees of difficulty. I think it's the reaper mod from what I've googled, but were there others?

The other mod was were you had character classes, I always remember going as an engineer and building turrets, I think you upgrade them as well, like an old school team fortress I guess. I can't seem to find what I remember it as exactly on Google.

I would of played these around 1999/2000.

Top Bottom