• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're sad weren't well received commercially

entremet

Being a business, when a great game does poorly, it usually kills any hope of sequel in most cases, as the Ubisoft President recently mentioned.

Personally, last generation I was pretty bummed this little gem was not well received.

mega+man+powered+up.jpg

This was the most original Mega Man game in ages and the PSP was the perfect platform, with its 16:9 aspect ratio, which really fit the art direction.

Not only did they totally remake Mega Man 1 completely, but they added tons of bonus stages, allowed you play as the Robot Masters and create levels! It was insane content wise.

As great of a remake of MM1 was, I couldn't only help if this game was well received that we would've gotten the Holy Grail--MMPU2, my dream game.

Even if they used the same template--Chibi art direction, playable Robot Masters and stage creation mode for MMPU2, it would've been superior as MM2 is the arguably the best classic Mega Man game.

Now, with Inafune long gone and Capcom basically retiring Mega Man, I don't think my dream of a MMPU2 will be realized.

Aeana

Trauma Team, and the Trauma series in general. Trauma Team in particular because it opened up a whole new paradigm for the series with different disciplines and possibilities for future games. There could have been so many interesting things done. :(

Zombi U apparently.

That game is the best survival horror in years, and a more pure form of what it is. I guess we won't be getting anything like that for a while now. Especially with the outstanding gamepad integration.

Astarte

PS3-cover.jpg

This game was hardcore as fuck. I loved every bit of it, even if it was hilariously broken. The music, the feeling of dropkicking someone into lava, and the satisfaction of throwing your friends into trains? Aw yeah.

Too bad Sega delayed this game's US release for months and destroyed a lot of interest...

Zwei

Cause and effect:

Front Mission 4 sold poorly --> No Front Mission 5 for North America :(
Xenosaga II and III sold poorly --> Xenosaga series dies :((

Weiss

Banned
I want to say Okami, but it's had two re-releases and a DS sequel, so I can't say Capcom isn't trying.

I'll go with Psychonauts. I've been waiting eight years for that sequel.

Jawmuncher

Psi-Ops: The MindGate Conspiracy

Anyone who has beaten it know exactly what I'm talking about. The cliffhanger was bullshit.

In light of the recent news from Yves, Zombi U, not because the game itself was great, but it showed so much potential for a really amazing sequel.

Danlord

If anyone checks my past posts will know I bring this game up every so often, but I really like it.

Heavenly Sword

Such a good game, well deserving of a sequel or 2 (It had been written as a trilogy, 2nd game rumoured to be in development by Sony Cambridge but then got axed for not being "commercially viable" )

Camjo-Z

PlayStation All Stars

I was begging for the numbers to produce a sequel

Yep. Hopefully they end up revisiting it down the line anyways.

The designers made a HUGE mistake by not allowing K.O.s à la Smash Bros., i.e. by throwing opponents off screen. The fact you have to use a special power just sucks.

Debatable. Many of the people who ripped on PSAS before its release did so because they thought it was a Smash clone.

Cause and effect:

Front Mission 4 sold poorly --> No Front Mission 5 for North America :(
Xenosaga II and III sold poorly --> Xenosaga series dies :((

Front Mission 4 came to America?

edit: Ha Ha, I played that game >__<
never finished it, but I liked it well enough up to a point.

majik13

have to go with ZombiU, never played anything as intense and definitely best survivor horror in a long time.

Top Bottom