• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're sad weren't well received commercially

kazebyaka

Banned
250px-Zack_%26_Wiki_-_Quest_for_Barbaros'_Treasure_Coverart.png

The best Wii game
EWmof.gif

cj_iwakura

Actually, forget Innocent Sin.

Sakura_Wars-_So_Long%2C_My_Love_-_Cover.jpg

THIS is why we can't have nice things.

We get a Sakura Wars title localized after a decade+, and all the fans do is take a dump on it.

Seda

Alpha Protocol :-(

Yep. This game does so many things right when it comes to dialogue and decisions, but it's hampered by performance issues and general lack of polish. I've played the game ~7 times and each time something is a bit different in how the game plays out. There's not much else like it.

A successor with more tighter gameplay and polish will forever only exist in my imagination :/

Ooccoo

Did Alan Wake really do that bad?? I thought they did ok..

He doesn't know what he's talking about obviously. There's a sequel in development, and:

On 23 May 2013 Remedy creative director Sam Lake announced that the game has sold 3 million copies

edit; I was talking about Alan Wake's American Nightmare for the sequel. Just forgot it was already released.

Kid Icarus Uprising. Underneath it's very dividing controls is an absolute blast of a game that puts even Nintendo's best developers to shame as far as production values are concerned.
Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

bobone

Skies of Arcadia

My favorite RPG, but Legends on Gamecube sold so poorly Sega never considered a sequal =(

Camjo-Z

Oh, I also forgot Retro Game Challenge. The new 3DS one better come over here as an eShop release or something.

WoolyNinja

If anyone checks my past posts will know I bring this game up every so often, but I really like it.

Heavenly Sword

Such a good game, well deserving of a sequel or 2 (It had been written as a trilogy, 2nd game rumoured to be in development by Sony Cambridge but then got axed for not being "commercially viable" )

This was an awesome game.

RPGamer92

Banned
He doesn't know what he's talking about obviously. There's a sequel in development, and:

edit; I was talking about Alan Wake's American Nightmare for the sequel. Just forgot it was already released.
Nope, Sam Lake said AW2 wasn't in the works after Quantum Break's reveal

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
ZombiU absolutely. Best zombie game ever made with a ton of really cool ideas.

Skies of Arcadia is another one I agree with as I love that game.

And to the ones who said Alpha Protocol: <3

Bulletstorm (That game was dumb, but it was a good kind of dumb)

Syndicate (Never played the original games, so I have no frame of reference for the apparent disembowling EA performed on the franchise by turning it into a FPS, but it was a good shooter with some nice mechanics and a good story if you took the time to read all the infologs or whatever they were called. Also, the multiplayer was fantastic.)

GamerJM

Banned
Way too many to list. Elite Beat Agents is the most heartbreaking one out of all of them for me personally though. That game and its short songlist had more heart, soul, charm, humor, and good writing in it than most of seventh gen combined. iNiS's fate of developing bad Black Eyed Peas Kinect games is absolutely tragic, because they had a perfect track record before that.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth is up there too, though I attribute the US handling of the franchise post-AAI more to Capcom being Capcom than anything. Others include the US localization of Dragon Quest VI, Child of Eden, the Wii U in general, Red Steel 2, EX Troopers in Japan, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and I guess F-Zero GX kind of (even though it still sold okay, I guess it wasn't enough for Nintendo).

Jubern

Xenosaga Episode 3. One of the best RPg's on PS2. Sad I wont see how the saga was supposed to end.

I'm with you! Best game in the Saga series by far.

But I can totally see why it didn't work, since it came after a first game that sold very well but kind of divided players and a sequel that plain sucked.

AniHawk

skies of arcadia hit 100k on the dc

then it hit 150k on the gc

and then it was dead. good job world. oh and if you can't tell, i'm being sarcastic.

Wozman23

Psi-Ops: The MindGate Conspiracy

Anyone who has beaten it know exactly what I'm talking about. The cliffhanger was bullshit.

Every morning I wake up hoping, 'Today will be the day the announce a Psi-Ops sequel.' And everyday I'm perpetually depressed.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
you missed a lot of good zombie games then.

Don't get me wrong, I like the L4D and RE series, but other than maybe State of Decay, I haven't played anything that made me think I needed to try so hard to actually survive what was going on.

ZombiU made had me play slow just so I could try and get a survivor going further than the last one I had, and I thought that was great. Plus I like that I still felt genuinely panicked and threatened in the endgame instead of an RE where I have so much ammunition by that point that encounters just seem trivial.

It's all an opinion of play style, honestly. ZombiU gave me the kind of zombie game that I wanted, even with an incredibly loose narrative.

AniHawk

Xenosaga Episode 3. One of the best RPg's on PS2. Sad I wont see how the saga was supposed to end.

from what i understand, xenosaga 3 is actually xenosaga 6.

episode 1 and 2 were meant to be episode 1. what was meant to be episodes 2-6 were condensed into xenosaga episode 3 either through the pre-game book thing or the game itself.

DiscoJer

Trails in the Sky.

Falcom keeps making great JRPGs, but we don't get most of them. If Trails in the Sky had sold better, maybe we would.

Top Bottom