• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're sad weren't well received commercially

kewlmyc

Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective_cover_art.jpg

Such a fresh original game with some of the funniest writing in the industry. Would have loved a sequel.

This is my answer, even though I don't know how a sequel would have worked.

Layell

256px-Hotel_Dusk.jpg

This game right here, fantastic writing and essentially a point and click book, good puzzles. The sequel was J/EU only and I managed to play it, mostly a retread and doesn't exactly tie up some loose ends. With Cing gone I doubt we will ever see more of this series at all.

hitmon

Valkyria_cover.jpg

It's one of the best games ever made, and now we'll probably never see anything like it ever again. :(

Valkyria Chronicles for me too. Gameplay blew my mind at the time as far as SRPGs went.

Actually, forget Innocent Sin.

Sakura_Wars-_So_Long%2C_My_Love_-_Cover.jpg

THIS is why we can't have nice things.

We get a Sakura Wars title localized after a decade+, and all the fans do is take a dump on it.

I totally forgot I bought this game and its still sealed. Thanks for reminding me.

Frodo

you missed a lot of good zombie games then.

This is an example of a bad post. Deriding the opinion of someone, yet fails to provide any input on what other zombie games are out there that are just as good or better than the one he dismisses, rendering the post completely useless as it does not even supply a funny or interesting remark.

Now, care to enlighten us on what games are we missing?

Flakster99

2 games come to mind right away.

Secret of Evermore - Thought it was a good game, all things considered a solid first attempt by the American team. I wanted a sequel dammit.

F-Zero GX - A racing game with balls. Loved it. Want more.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't pay too much attention to sales numbers honestly, but Elite Beat Agents is the first thing I thought of.

256px-Hotel_Dusk.jpg

This game right here, fantastic writing and essentially a point and click book, good puzzles. The sequel was J/EU only and I managed to play it, mostly a retread and doesn't exactly tie up some loose ends. With Cing gone I doubt we will ever see more of this series at all.

Came here to post this. A company collapsed cause people weren't willing to give this a chance. I was really hoping for a third to close out the series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Trauma Team, and the Trauma series in general. Trauma Team in particular because it opened up a whole new paradigm for the series with different disciplines and possibilities for future games. There could have been so many interesting things done. :(

It's either me or Aeana that first brings up Trauma Team in these threads, and usually noone else. :(

256px-Hotel_Dusk.jpg

THIS!

randomkid

I guess my answer is like every single game I play?

Here's the last 20 games I beat.

Harmful Park
SMT2
Theatrhythm
Aero Porter
Mario 3D Land
Catherine
Ni no Kuni
SMT1
Unfinished Swan
Dokuro
Gravity Rush
Frobisher Says
Kirby Collection
Qasir al-Wasat
Tokyo Jungle
Outland
Inazuma 11
Puzzle Agent
Audiosurf
Trauma Team

I guess there are 3 or 4 unequivocal sales successes here, but most of these games never got sequels.

Sanctuary

Alpha Protocol :-(

Well there's a lot of reasons for that. The writing may have been good, but the rest not so much.

My first quick pick would be ZombiU. Was looking forward to a sequel. My second would be DQX. It looks like the game didn't do well enough to get a localization.

Err, Valkyria Chronicles wasn't a success? That was actually the first game that popped into my mind, but I thought it did well enough...which is why it ended up with a sequel (even if it wasn't on a home console)?

GulAtiCa

But since this is about games I'll go with Shadowrun for 360.

Despite really enjoying the game, I always found that turning the RPG into a FPS was odd. They certainly made it an unique FPS that was fun to play at least. I must have spent a good bit playing this game, and I'm not really one for multiplayer.

I wonder if the game servers are even still up.

Vecks

Trauma Team, and the Trauma series in general. Trauma Team in particular because it opened up a whole new paradigm for the series with different disciplines and possibilities for future games. There could have been so many interesting things done. :(
Seriously. They went all out on this game. I loved how they mixed everything together. And the localization was pretty nice. I enjoyed the English dub.

Alpha Protocol :-(
Maybe we can get a spiritual sequel to this because I personally feel that it wasn't the story or characters that made this game good. If they could just implement/improve on a lot of the ideas in a new IP...

We get a Sakura Wars title localized after a decade+, and all the fans do is take a dump on it.

I never followed the sales on this. Did it not meet expectations? Because this is a pretty niche title to begin with.

cj_iwakura

I never followed the sales on this. Did it not meet expectations? Because this is a pretty niche title to begin with.

It was an absolute disaster. NISA spent a fortune on that game's extensive voice work and dialogue, and no one bought it.

Cause and effect:

Front Mission 4 sold poorly --> No Front Mission 5 for North America :(
Xenosaga II and III sold poorly --> Xenosaga series dies :((

Actually Xenosaga 1 sells poorly in Japan and kicks ass in the US, we get Xenosaga 2, barely. Xenosaga 2 does OK, they wrap up the story in III, it could have been far worse.

209px-NA-P2InnocentSinBoxart.png

This is why we can't have nice things.

Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey :(

Shenmue :(

Best game of all time, we'll probably never see the end.

All of these for sure, but I'm horrified I didn't see:

This is also why we can't have nice things. Makes me sad.

and of course:

Best RPG no one played until years after it came out. RIP Troika.

Casanova

Gex.

tumblr_lu5sqotEpt1qd02l0o1_500.jpg

Donkey Kong Racing. The same genre as Mario Kart, but way better, I mean, it had hovercars, cars, planes, and fun boss battles.

tumblr_lte0zvOGzO1qcyklto1_500.gif

tumblr_mbyj8aSpjt1qe1bz4o5_r1_500.gif

So good.

Midou

Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the Sky are two big somewhat recent ones. It would have been so amazing if the PS3 got 3 VC games and it moved onto PS4 with its amazing art style.

Trails in the Sky was like my favourite RPG this gen, and knowing we may not get another saddens me greatly.

Shadow Hearts for something a bit older, as a whole series probably among my top 3 JRPG franchises.

1VW4S35.jpg

Edit: I second Sakura Wars as well, I loved the localized one, it had a neat SRPG system and I liked the characters a lot. One day I'll just learn Japanese and play the remaining ones...

Alric

all of these games did good for their time but boy do I wish there was more

Lokdefiance.jpg

Oh Kain and Raziel, why won't I ever see the conclusion to your story thats not a reboot with the elder gods voice never being the same.

250px-Myth_II_Cover.jpg

Myth III : Wind Age was made by mumbo jumbo and not Bungie so it doesnt exist.

Bushido_Blade_2_Coverart.png

Kengo games don't count, they pale in comparison.

MikeDown

Banned
Remember Me in my humble opinion was one of the best games of this generation. Did it have flaws? Absolutely, but damn it was such a refreshing experience. And the soundtrack was just brilliant!

remember_me_nilin_concept_08.jpg

Top Bottom