• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're sad weren't well received commercially

Krabboss

I think the only game that might apply for me is Lost Planet 2. Really loved it, but its poor sales/reception means we're getting whatever the fuck Lost Planet 3 is.

Skenzin

Banned
homefront-xbox-360_BG10892.jpg

Really good multiplayer. Slowed down COD style. Much better gun handling than wonky BF3. Maps that didnt feel like multiplayer maps dressed up as phony real world locations. Got judged on its average/decent SP campaign, but who cares about SP in mil shooter.

Oh and the maps were nice and large, with gfx going for a more gritty realistic look. You could approach a gun fight from unlimited possibilities, rather than being herded into a couple of choke points surrounded by impassable phony walls, gates, cars, bushes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maestro! Jump In Music

Is the main one.
Awesome mix of platformer and rhythim game with the BEST soundtrack of a rhythim game EVER

Special Mentions :

Astroboy for GBA
Ninja Five-O
Kirby Canvas Course

And a VERY special mention to Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.
I know they have far from bombed, but they sold MUCH less than the New Super Mario Bros and this is a disgrace =(
These are all fantastic mentions.

Marjar

Banned
I would say Deadly Premonition, but it seems like people are paying more attention to it now which really makes me happy. Still it deserves much higher review scores than it received. Not to mention that infamous 2/10 from IGN.

i can't think of any that i wish had sold like crazy. mainly games that had low targets to begin with, and barely didn't sell enough to warrant sequels. i'm more concerned about the continuation of some of my favorite series than how well received they are.

some games seem like sales still wouldn't convince the developer/publisher. and they just didn't care anymore or they dissolved the company.

RIP Clover.

Kater

Banned
Sacrifice.
Has anyone on here besides me played that game? Because you should. That game was the best thing when I was younger and still holds up pretty well visually. And the VA cast is terrific.

Oh, and of course Nier.
Every game that gets you invested that much into its lore and characters should be a GOTY and deserves Scrooge McDuck amounts of money.
This game made me cry like a child that fell down his bike. The music in the game is wonderful, too.

GamerJM

Banned
I really don't think we're ever getting Legends 3. And if we do, it won't be this Legends 3 anymore:

And I'm not even sure I want it without Inafune.

We got a Legends 3 that doesn't look like that.

It's called EX Troopers

mrmickfran

I dream of the day that Games from Platinum and Treasure can make Call of Duty sales.

Games like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Viewtiful Joe,Sin & Punishment, and Ikaruga deserve to make $400 million during its opening week.

GSR

Trauma Team, and the Trauma series in general. Trauma Team in particular because it opened up a whole new paradigm for the series with different disciplines and possibilities for future games. There could have been so many interesting things done. :(

First thing that came to mind. I really can't see Atlus revisiting the series any time soon at this rate, and it's a shame because Trauma Team was great and like you said was a great setup for expansion for the series.

I think the only game that might apply for me is Lost Planet 2. Really loved it, but its poor sales/reception means we're getting whatever the fuck Lost Planet 3 is.

A westernized, "cinematic" piece of garbage like DmC. Lost Planet 2 was one of the best third person shooters I have ever played, RIP.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2
Otogi 1 and 2
Phantom Crash
P.N.03
Resonance of Fate
Baten Kaitos Origins
Phantom Dust
Beach Spikers

from what i understand, xenosaga 3 is actually xenosaga 6.

episode 1 and 2 were meant to be episode 1. what was meant to be episodes 2-6 were condensed into xenosaga episode 3 either through the pre-game book thing or the game itself.

This, sort of. Episodes 1 and 2 were released as intended more or less, but didn't sell so hot. So episodes 3-6 were super condensed into what was released as Episode 3 and, if I recall correctly, some mobile game that was released too covered parts of it.

Xenosaga Episode 3 Spoilers:

Actually, even at the beginning of a new game, there's enough stuff in the database to cover nearly a whole game's worth of story...all the stuff about Grimoire Verum leading up to Shion leaving Vector could've definitely been a full game. And it's been a few years since I played it, but I remember feeling that there were three huuuuuge "acts" to Episode 3's story...gahh, can't really remember character names and sequences of events too well. Maybe due for a replay.

Anyway, contribution....Killer 7, Robot Alchemic Drive, Earthbound.

Magicant

Banned
BreathOfFire-DragonQuarter.jpg

One of the most challenging and innovative JRPGs on the PS2. While some will say Dragon Quarter "killed" the franchise, I still have hope for a Breath of Fire VI.

41j2FNbSOyL.jpg

Severely underrated sequel to the original Vandal Hearts. People criticized it for its dual-turn battle system. I loved it, even if it required a bit of guesswork. INCREDIBLE soundtrack. Why hasn't Konami released these as PSone Classics?!

It killed me when Okami did poorly when it first came out, and it was even worse when Clover shut down not long after.

Ghost Trick, Zone of the Enders 2, Binary Domain, Sin & Punishment 2, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (I don't think it sold well?) are others.

Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the Sky are two big somewhat recent ones. It would have been so amazing if the PS3 got 3 VC games and it moved onto PS4 with its amazing art style.

Trails in the Sky was like my favourite RPG this gen, and knowing we may not get another saddens me greatly.

Shadow Hearts for something a bit older, as a whole series probably among my top 3 JRPG franchises.

1VW4S35.jpg

Edit: I second Sakura Wars as well, I loved the localized one, it had a neat SRPG system and I liked the characters a lot. One day I'll just learn Japanese and play the remaining ones...

tumblr_m4cksqQBmv1rszfv7o1_500.gif

Well lets see:
ZombiU
Kid Icarus Uprising
Madworld
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (apparantly)
Red Steel 2
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Sin and Punishment 2 (heathens!)
Trauma Team (double heathens!)
Baten Kaitos Origins
P.N.03
Killer 7
Binary Domain
Alpha Protocol
Phantom Dust
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragon Orta
Phantom Crash
(pretty much every exclusive Japanese-made OG Xbox game really)
Advent Rising

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Maximo vs the Army of Zin

Maximo_vs._Army_of_Zin.jpg

Fucking tragic this game didn't sale well. It's what would happen if DMC was made into a platformer. WHY DID NO ONE BUY THIS :(

I'm still hoping for a Maximo 3...
oh shut up and let me dream.

sappyday

BullyOBS1--article_image.jpg

Bully. I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances but from what I remember it didn't do as good as R* expected. Probably the reason why I haven't seen a sequel to it which saddens me considering I would choose Bully 2 over a Red Dead Redemption 2.

MercGH

Banned
Advance Wars, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Bully, and Kameo.

Kameo was a wonderful surprise. Not many good platformers period this generation sadly and it had that "Rare" "Mario" feel with enormous potential to become it. If a sequel expanded upon it and included more puzzles/problem solving would be amazing.

The Conkers remake on Xbox was awesome, and would love to see a next gen Conker with its hilarious writing. A really unique special title with vulgar but smart humor.

Bully was great. I did not expect the title to be as good as it was. One of my fav titles

Okami. One of the greatest and most beautiful games of all time. Easily in my personal top three.

Others that come to mind are Mega Man: Powered Up, Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X, Enslaved, Gitaroo-Man, Child of Eden, and PlayStation All-Stars.

Myriadis

Maximo vs the Army of Zin

Maximo_vs._Army_of_Zin.jpg

Fucking tragic this game didn't sale well. It's what would happen if DMC was made into a platformer. WHY DID NO ONE BUY THIS :(

I'm still hoping for a Maximo 3...
oh shut up and let me dream.

This and Ghosts to Glory are some of the best games for the PS2. Also because these games are very challenging. I haven't played Dark/Demons Souls yet but hearing about it reminds me of these games, as in Maximo, being not careful will result in death even by single enemies.

Maximo 3, according to the concept documents and art, would've been quite different (much more exploration, temples and much darker and edgier). I surely would've played it, but Capcom effictively killed the studio off.

No More Heroes 1 and 2, Madworld Bayonetta, Bayonetta2 probably, Shadows of the Damned, Persona, Catherine,, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime series, Mario Galaxy series, Majora's Mask, Mega Man, and, Saint's Row.
I feel if these titles sold way better, the industry would be a much better place.

God, is this the perfect post for this thread, or what?

Top Bottom