• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you're sad weren't well received commercially

Razlo

I agree with most of the games listed in this thread, as I typically love games that for whatever reason don't sell well.

My favorite commercial failure is actually an arcade game:

The Outfoxies

outfoxrand2.png

Platy

Maestro! Jump In Music

Is the main one.
Awesome mix of platformer and rhythim game with the BEST soundtrack of a rhythim game EVER

Special Mentions :

Astroboy for GBA
Ninja Five-O
Kirby Canvas Course

And a VERY special mention to Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.
I know they have far from bombed, but they sold MUCH less than the New Super Mario Bros and this is a disgrace =(

Manu

I say this on every thread of games without sequels, but Mega Man Legends. I miss Mega Man in general, but at least we have 11 classic games and 8 X games (although not all of them are good). We only got 2 Legends games and it ended in a fucking cliffhanger. Legends 2 is my favorite game ever. When 3 was cancelled I was depressed for a week.

cj_iwakura

Maestro! Jump In Music

Is the main one.
Awesome mix of platformer and rhythim game with the BEST soundtrack of a rhythim game EVER

That's a bold claim. I've never heard of it, and I've played almost every one ever made. I'm gonna need some supporting evidence.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sin & Punishment 2

I didn't think it was possible to make an engaging modern rail shooter nowadays.

Game completely blew me away. You know a game is good when your eyes start watering while playing because you can. not. blink.

Would love to see a sequel on Wii-U, since the series primarily exists as a challenge for Treasure to design a game around Nintendo's stupid controllers. but with how 2 was DOA and with Treasure seemingly MIA I highly doubt it'll ever happen

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The most recent case I can think of is Akai Katana.

Actually, forget Innocent Sin.

Sakura_Wars-_So_Long%2C_My_Love_-_Cover.jpg

THIS is why we can't have nice things.

We get a Sakura Wars title localized after a decade+, and all the fans do is take a dump on it.
As someone who spent hundreds on the ST series across several games (including the two ST5 PS2 games), plastic crap, collector cards, Laserdiscs of seiyuu performances, and other things, I don't think this is undeserved.

ST5 was bad.

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue I & II
Okami
God Hand
Panzer Dragoon Saga
F-Zero GX
Sin & Punishment 2
Jet Set Radio
Megaman Network Transmission
Killer7

Platy

That's a bold claim. I've never heard of it, and I've played almost every one ever made. I'm gonna need some supporting evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro!_Jump_in_Music

No other rhythim game go such an awesome mix of music that includes

Ludwig Van Beethoven– Symphony No. 5
The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun
Erik Satie– Gymnopédies No. 1
Edvard Grieg– Peer Gynt (popularly known as Hall of the Mountain King)
Ennio Morricone– The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

At the SAME TIME

But the game is so RARE that it is hard to find good gameplay on youtube =/
Sugar Plum Fairy on Hard is one of the few people who are awesome at it =3

cj_iwakura

As someone who spent hundreds on the ST series across several games (including the two ST5 PS2 games), plastic crap, collector cards, Laserdiscs of seiyuu performances, and other things, I don't think this is undeserved.

ST5 was bad.

It was still a great game on its own merits, and its failure meant we had no chance of getting 1 & 2 localized.

No More Heroes 1 and 2, Madworld Bayonetta, Bayonetta2 probably, Shadows of the Damned, Persona, Catherine,, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime series, Mario Galaxy series, Majora's Mask, Mega Man, and, Saint's Row.
I feel if these titles sold way better, the industry would be a much better place.

Joelio13

Platinum Games titles, especially Vanquish. Such great gameplay for a 3rd Person Shooter. Hopefully its release on PS+ will expose it to some more players and possibly make a sequel viable.
Alan Wake and Prince of Persia 08 both had decent sales but I wish they had a bit more so their respective futures would hang in less doubt.

etrain911

I'll go with Psychonauts. I've been waiting eight years for that sequel.

We're best friends now. It's non-negotiable.
Also, I wish that Brutal Legend was more successful. It wasn't great, but I feel like the mechanics could've been more refined in a sequel.

Gotcha_Force_Coverart.png

This game was such a blast. So many cool designs, a neat concept, solid gameplay. Even if the story/voice acting was a bit cheesy, it was great overall.

God damn I wish we could see an amazing next gen version of this :(

Freespace 2.

It famously sold 26,000 copies in six months. Despite being critically acclaimed and widely considered as one of the best space sims of all time, the poor sales pretty much put a nail in the coffin of the space sim genre for mainstream games. Freelancer is the only game since Freespace 2 that got mainstream attention and in order to do so, they basically turned combat into a third person shooter.

People often talk about Pyschonauts, Mirror's Edge, Planescape Torment etc. as examples in these threads but Freespace 2 sold so poorly it scared mainstream video game development from an ENTIRE GENRE. The only game that comes close for me was System Shock 2. The failure of SS2 pretty much killed Looking Glass.

250px-Myth_II_Cover.jpg

Myth III : Wind Age was made by mumbo jumbo and not Bungie so it doesnt exist.

Good choices. I came back to the thread to post up Myth II.

Here is another one:

1035243-914210_16849_front.jpg

The original Tribes was like absolute digital CRACK to me. At some point I drifted to playing Counter-Strike with a group, but I retired once Tribes 2 released to suit back up with that amazing jetpack. As much as I loved the game it was plagued with a lot of problems from the very beginning. Patch after patch put people off and I don't think the game ever really got back to the status of Tribes.

katkombat

Banned

Binary Domain

I want to say Okami, but it's had two re-releases and a DS sequel, so I can't say Capcom isn't trying.

I'll go with Psychonauts. I've been waiting eight years for that sequel.

250px-Wet_game.jpg

Surfing cars was fun. Really enjoyed this one more than I thought I would, music was awesome too.

Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective_cover_art.jpg

Such a fresh original game with some of the funniest writing in the industry. Would have loved a sequel.
Alan Wakeand Lost Odyssey :(

Uhhhh...?

I'd add Conker to these games as well.

GoodlifeX

I say this on every thread of games without sequels, but Mega Man Legends. I miss Mega Man in general, but at least we have 11 classic games and 8 X games (although not all of them are good). We only got 2 Legends games and it ended in a fucking cliffhanger. Legends 2 is my favorite game ever. When 3 was cancelled I was depressed for a week.

Damn I feel you on this one...

Remember Me in my humble opinion was one of the best games of this generation. Did it have flaws? Absolutely, but damn it was such a refreshing experience. And the soundtrack was just brilliant!

remember_me_nilin_concept_08.jpg

What was good about it then? Buzzwords like 'refreshing experience' are meaningless.

From what I saw it looked like shitty AC/uncharted platforming combined with a shallow combo system.

Vecks

ST5 was bad.

I've only played 5 so I can't compare the games, but I've read on other places online that 5 is considered a low point in the series. So it's kind of disappointing to me, even though I enjoyed 5, that this is the one they brought over.

Top Bottom