• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry.biz: Where are the Xbox One's exclusives?

Chris1

People think Cyberpunk is gonna be exclusive? Lmao I want some of whatever you're on.

The only 3rd party game I can see being exclusive again through a moneyhat is Tomb Raider and even then I doubt that

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

So far there are 13 Sony announced games for 2017, that includes Parappa remaster, Patapon remaster and Wipeout Collection as well as the arguable Ni-OH that is published in EU and NA by Sony as well as new games Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Drawn to Death, Knack 2, Shin Minna no Golf, Gran Turismo Sport, MLB 17 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

There are 7 Microsoft published games announced so far for 2017, that includes Phantom Dust remaster and Halo Wars remaster and the new Cuphead, Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2.

Nintendo should have more than both announced across 3ds and Switch

Nintendo has:
Super Mario Odyssey
Zelda BotW
1 2 Switch
Arms
Mario Kart 8 DX
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Pikmin 3DS
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Snipperclips
Mario Sports Superstars
Ever Oasis
(also lists Kawashima for Europe ;))
Which makes 12 games, only two of which are ports of old games.

I'd say five vs. ten, both for Nintendo and Sony, new games is significant.

I jumped to Sony because MS was talking features coming into this gen and Sony was talking games. My main systems were Xbox and 360 before that.

To offer a take, I've never owned a Microsoft console. I've only owned Sony & Nintendo consoles.

Oh I hear both of you and I myself only owned Sony consoles until this gen but Gaf, as ardent and passionate as we are doesn't represent the majority. The point I was trying to make is that folks who buy games and game consoles can be fickle. So to bring it full circle to Nirolak's post, that stat of 80% of Ps4 owners not having played an Uncharted game is totally believable since many of these PS4 owners probably didn't even own a PS3 last gen.

I don't know. There are years in between all of these iterations. For Halo and Gears there has only been one title on the X1 hardware and I get a lot of joy out of seeing these games perform better and with updated visuals. And new Forza Horizon games are great because they move the game to new locations with each iteration. For me there's no fatigue. They're more like episodic games with giant windows in between their releases.

None of this changes the fact that both series are on the decline.

That's not something that should hamper your excitement for the series though (well, to a point anyway).

Chris1

That's not something that should hamper your excitement for the series though (well, to a point anyway).

On the other hand Forza Horizon had the best Forza launch ever, and that's even more frequent than Halo and Gears

Halo and Gears are on a decline for reasons other than fatigue (this plays a part too, but I don't think it's the main reason at all). Franchise fatigue is just the easiest thing to pin the blame on but it goes deeper than that IMO.

I know many God of War were dissapointed with the new look of the franchise but as an ultra fan of the series if we'd get a God of War 3.5 I wouldn't be excited, I'd just get the game as a fan and be happy about it but it wouldn't be one of my most anticipated games for the future.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Titanfall is finished at this point and Tomb Raider won't be a timed exclusive for much longer if at all.

I wonder if MS might help resurrect Titanfall 3, in exchange for exclusivity?

That's true, but it does make a line-up far more appealing, at least to me. Also note that almost none of MS' exclusives are big sellers, especially when compared to last gen (Gears for example).

I'd say a couple of those, which is reflected in their reception, are definitely more than decent.

Then my memory must be lacking because very few I can recall did well in review scores and sold well.

Wedzi

Banned
Always wondered why MS never took a stab and building some kind of CoD competitor after they lost the marketing deal. Make it multiplayer only. $20 supported by microtransactions. Boots on the ground. Modern setting. Maybe get Respawn to design some elements, outsource the main development to a larger studio. Won't sell anywhere close to CoD numbers but worth a shot considering how big CoD is on Xbox. Hell looking at all the people complaining about no Blops 2 backward compatibility I would say there would be an audience for something like this.

I think we need to be realistic when asking what games MS should invest in. We clamor for MS to build large scale AAA story based new IPs like Sony but MS can't even build games their own audience wants. When I think back on what built the Xbox fan base up along side Halo I think of PC ports on the original Xbox that weren't available on other platforms like Half Life 2, Kotor, Morrowind. When I think what launched the 360 as a bona fide contender I think of Gears of War (then a new IP) Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect, CoD 4. I think of how big CoD really got on Xbox Live, how big Fallout and Skyrim were. Xbox fans are very much typical western gamers and MS should cater to them. They want new a shooter, new WRPGs, Fable IV, Kotor 3, etc.

That being said I do think Xbox is the audience for something like Crackdown and Sea of Thieves to be successful, especially Sea of Thieves given how that genre is gaining steam, but come on Xbox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoL3uQbPoc

Neonep

How is anyone excited for a plausible 16th Final Fantasy. Or the 7th God of War? Or the next Zelda? or the next Mario? Or the next Gran Turismo?
Because there is a mighty long gap between those games and those are the only exclusives Nintendo and Sony have. Those are once a generation type of games at this point. How many Forza's have come out on the Xbox One?

Neonep

I wonder if MS might help resurrect Titanfall 3, in exchange for exclusivity?
Man.... Titanfall 2 did so badly, it sold less than the original and it was released on both Xbox One & PS4 3 years into their life cycle in comparison to the original that was a launch title or came out close to launch and was only available on the Xbox One.

Figments

Always wondered why MS never took a stab and building some kind of CoD competitor after they lost the marketing deal. Make it multiplayer only. $20 supported by microtransactions. Boots on the ground. Modern setting. Maybe get Respawn to design some elements, outsource the main development to a larger studio. Won't sell anywhere close to CoD numbers but worth a shot considering how big CoD is on Xbox. Hell looking at all the people complaining about no Blops 2 backward compatibility I would say there would be an audience for something like this.

I think we need to be realistic when asking what games MS should invest in. We clamor for MS to build large scale AAA story based new IPs like Sony but MS can't even build games their own audience wants. When I think back on what built the Xbox fan base up along side Halo I think of PC ports on the original Xbox that weren't available on other platforms like Half Life 2, Kotor, Morrowind. When I think what launched the 360 as a bona fide contender I think of Gears of War (then a new IP) Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect, CoD 4. I think of how big CoD really got on Xbox Live, how big Fallout and Skyrim were. Xbox fans are very much typical western gamers and MS should cater to them. They want new a shooter, new WRPGs, Fable IV, Kotor 3, etc.

That being said I do think Xbox is the audience for something like Crackdown and Sea of Thieves to be successful, especially Sea of Thieves given how that genre is gaining steam, but come on Xbox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoL3uQbPoc

I'd rather they make their own version of Battlefield. :p

I'd also like to see a Gears of War WRPG spinoff taking place during the time between Gears of War 3 and Gears of War 4, with you playing as an Outsider or a citizen of the COG. That shit would be nice.

Yeah very sad. I love my xbox one but they dont have anything unique

Define "unique". And don't be like that other guy a few threads ago that told me to go look up the definition of unique. In a goddamn dictionary. Like I don't know the book definition.

Define the range of genres you think are unique that Xbox doesn't provide.

From what I remember, only the last two entries--Halo 5 and Gears 4--showed any noticeable decline for the series, and even then, the decline was not astronomical, but could be representative of the comparatively small userbase between the two systems.

That they're on a decline is not evidence of anything. Every series has its ups and downs, especially long-running ones. It's not like we're drowning in titles for those franchises anyway. Gears has a release every three years. Mainline Halo has a release every three years. The only series we're drowning in is Forza, yet that's showing growth year over year last I checked.

While niche games are good for diversifying a platform, they aren't necessary for maximizing sales. Which is what it looks like MS is trying to do now

I think people are making the mistake of looking at these niche titles individually instead of the big picture.

(totally bullshit made up numbers incoming)
If, for example, Persona sells 100k people on a PS4, Nioh sells 50k PS4s, Nier sells 10k PS4s and so on, it starts to add up (note: these [madeup] numbers aren't software unit sales, but [madeup] PS4 sales). None of those numbers are significant on their own, but as you get more of these games on your system, it only helps.

Not only that, but as a compounded effect, those games start to do better on your system as more people who like those kind of games. Meaning you get more of those niche games... which means you get more people buying your system for those games.

I don't see why Sony should stop going after these games, especially when either a.) they're cheap to make, or b.) you're not even financially responsible for them. It in no way hurts Sony to court these niche games, especially when many of them aren't even made by Sony, but by someone else.

And it's not like Sony isn't also catering to the AAA crowd either, judging by their 3rd party marketing deals.

On the other hand Forza Horizon had the best Forza launch ever, and that's even more frequent than Halo and Gears

Halo and Gears are on a decline for reasons other than fatigue (this plays a part too, but I don't think it's the main reason at all). Franchise fatigue is just the easiest thing to pin the blame on but it goes deeper than that IMO.

I think Forza is in the unique position of being one of the few *big* racers left on the market that also gets consistent quality releases. There isn't anything like Forza Horizon on the market anymore.

And I can't speak for Halo, but Gears definitely seems like its main problem is franchise fatigue. From what I've played of it... it's Gears. There doesn't seem to be much egregious about it. I mean I don't think it's a bad thing, but obviously many have moved on from the series.

I know many God of War were dissapointed with the new look of the franchise but as an ultra fan of the series if we'd get a God of War 3.5 I wouldn't be excited, I'd just get the game as a fan and be happy about it but it wouldn't be one of my most anticipated games for the future.

I think we all know what the reception for a God of War 3.5 would be...

it's called Ascension :p

Microsoft are done this generation . There would have been rumours about new games or exclusives in dev for Scorpio already

Pretty much this.

If it wasn't for my friends still playing overwatch on Xbox I'd probably migrate fully over to my PS4. The exclusives are atrocious. I refuse to buy any 343i game after MCC so Halo doesn't entice me anymore. Gears got stale after 3, and I've never been interested in forza.

Microsofts exclusives at this point (minus SoT) are generic, bland and have no creativity whatsoever. FPS, TPS, Racer... wow such diverse. All three being very average at best.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Does it? I'd say now with Scalebound gone their 2017 lineup is rather underwhelming, and that's a nice way to put it.

The most anticipated MS exclusive (here on NeoGAF) is now Cuphead, an amazing looking platformer from an indie developer.

You'd be right if you chose to completely ignore Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Forza 7 and State of Decay 2

Theorry

Because there is a mighty long gap between those games and those are the only exclusives Nintendo and Sony have. Those are once a generation type of games at this point. How many Forza's have come out on the Xbox One?

Forza has different devs and are different games.
Then you also can say Naughty dog is coming out with alot of games. He even on the PS3 we got 3 Uncharted games and The Last of Us.

UKUMI0

Man.... Titanfall 2 did so badly, it sold less than the original and it was released on both Xbox One & PS4 3 years into their life cycle in comparison to the original that was a launch title or came out close to launch and was only available on the Xbox One.

Mainly because it released between CoD and Battlefield as well as the fact that some people who had played both the original and the technical test were unhappy with the changes to mobility and map design. There's also the fact it was removed from EA Access which made a lot of people think they were trying to hide how bad it was after the Tech Test.

Really surprised that it did worse though, honestly casts doubt on a sequel.

How is anyone excited for a plausible 16th Final Fantasy. Or the 7th God of War? Or the next Zelda? or the next Mario? Or the next Gran Turismo?

Horizon, Days Gone, Detroit, Last Guardian, Sucker Punch new ip....they don't just release sequels. Would MS let 343 or coalition make a new ip after a game like Uncharted blew up late in a gen? Not to mention they restarted GOW from the ground up, which was needed, it looks fresh. MS needs to do that with Gears of War.

I think we all know what the reception for a God of War 3.5 would be...

it's called Ascension :p

Yep, that's the best example I was trying to say that it'd be the same if the next main God of War game (call it 4) would be the same formula, well... it wouldn't be as exciting as the new one looks, and I bet there are more people happy with the change (even new to the series) that people that aren't.

And if you think about it, Gears had the same track as God of War: 1, 2, 3, Judgement and when they announced 4 it was a very similar game to the previous iterations just much better looking. Although it's true that we are yet to see how good the new God of War will be but the reception over the reveal was much more impactful.

From what I remember, only the last two entries--Halo 5 and Gears 4--showed any noticeable decline for the series, and even then, the decline was not astronomical, but could be representative of the comparatively small userbase between the two systems.

That they're on a decline is not evidence of anything. Every series has its ups and downs, especially long-running ones. It's not like we're drowning in titles for those franchises anyway. Gears has a release every three years. Mainline Halo has a release every three years. The only series we're drowning in is Forza, yet that's showing growth year over year last I checked.

Nope, started with Reach and Judgement. We actually just had a thread about Gears specifically, too, where this was discussed.

And the "small userbase" excuse doesn't hold up when Gears 1 and Halo 3 both had relatively small bases to work with on 360, yet both ended up doing better than Gears 4 and Halo 5 despite the Xbone having higher sales than the 360 launch-aligned.

Check this:

Bombed is relative.

NPD Debuts:

Gears of War: 1 million
Gears of War 2: 1.56 million
Gears of War 3: 2+ million
Gears of War: Judgment: 600K+
Gears of War 4: 505K

It was very low for a Gears of War game, but there are a lot of games that would love to do 600K in their first month, and it beat Gears of War 4.

As of now, it's a trend. That isn't to say the series can't rebound or even do better than they ever have, but that remains to be seen.

Figments

I think people are making the mistake of looking at these niche titles individually instead of the big picture.

(totally bullshit made up numbers incoming)
If, for example, Persona sells 100k people on a PS4, Nioh sells 50k PS4s, Nier sells 10k PS4s and so on, it starts to add up (note: these [madeup] numbers aren't software unit sales, but [madeup] PS4 sales). None of those numbers are significant on their own, but as you get more of these games on your system, it only helps.

Not only that, but as a compounded effect, those games start to do better on your system as more people who like those kind of games. Meaning you get more of those niche games... which means you get more people buying your system for those games.

I don't see why Sony should stop going after these games, especially when either a.) they're cheap to make, or b.) you're not even financially responsible for them. It in no way hurts Sony to court these niche games, especially when many of them aren't even made by Sony, but by someone else.

And it's not like Sony isn't also catering to the AAA crowd either, judging by their 3rd party marketing deals.

I think Forza is in the unique position of being one of the few *big* racers left on the market that also gets consistent quality releases. There isn't anything like Forza Horizon on the market anymore.

And I can't speak for Halo, but Gears definitely seems like its main problem is franchise fatigue. From what I've played of it... it's Gears. There doesn't seem to be much egregious about it. I mean I don't think it's a bad thing, but obviously many have moved on from the series.

It's more like people looked at God of War and Uncharted and said to themselves: "Why can't Gears be more like God of War and Uncharted?". Especially after the supposed "revamped" reveal for God of War.

Which is kind of bullshit anyway, because all they seem to be doing is going back to what made the FIRST one's story good. The rest were hot garbagio story-wise.

Gears doesn't need to be compared to other series, because no other series arguably does third person shooting better than Gears.

Nope, started with Reach and Judgement. We actually just had a thread about Gears specifically, too, where this was discussed.

And the "small userbase" excuse doesn't hold up when Gears 1 and Halo 3 both had relatively small bases to work with on 360, yet both ended up doing better than Gears 4 and Halo 5 despite the Xbone having higher sales than the 360 launch-aligned.

Check this:

[CHART HERE]

As of now, it's a trend. That isn't to say the series can't rebound or even do better than they ever have, but that remains to be seen.

Hrm. I could see a lot of factors playing into this, but I'll reserve my response for when I reevaluate my argument.

Besides the odd "Call of Duty is dead" thread, nothing illustrates the cloistered bubble of Gaf more than the weekly "compare platform exclusive checklists and determine a winner" threads.

Sony has won (so far) this generation not because of AAA exclusives, but by going all-out to prove to the customer, whether it be by superior hardware or exclusive marketing agreements, that the Playstation console is the best one on which to play the biggest (IE: 10m+ sales) third party multi-plats.

Things like Playstation having exclusive COD/Destiny DLC deals AND exclusive marketing agreements for those titles has been way more devastating to the Xbox than playing the exclusives checklist comparison game.

It doesn't help that the industry in general is moving away from platform-exclusivity deals. The 2015 physical release chart tells the tale of the tape there. You could say that doubling and tripling down on exclusives (although many were 1st and 2nd party) enabled Sony to claw their way back to near-parity with the 360 last generation, but that strategy is a lot less realistic for Xbox this generation considering the massive increases in development costs.

nekkid

Your point? They didn't even want to do exclusivity the first time around; MS signed a lifetime deal for TF1 behind the devs' backs.

But what if it was the only chance of TF3 existing, if MS helped fund it?

EA have no rights to the IP afaik.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Your point? They didn't even want to do exclusivity the first time around; MS signed a lifetime deal for TF1 behind the devs' backs.

Not 100% true.

EA was about to shitcan the whole thing without Respawn knowing and MS stepped in to keep it going. Obviously exclusivity would be a part of that deal.

Not quite as sinister as you tried to make it out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think exclusives do matter to a point, even if they don't determine overall sales unless you Nintendo. They help give an incentive to use a particular platform. If XB1 and PS4 had no difference in games, there would be no reason to buy one or the other outside of minimal performance differences.

I bought a pS4 specifically for the japanese and first party games i knew MS would not get in addition to the multiplats, and that was something that helped sway the difference.

I think the issue MS is facing is not specifically first party exclusives, but just the pure disparity of games not coming to their platform either third party or otherwise, make the unit feel very monolithic and focused on only a specific segment of gaming library, which is a turn off for a decent amount of people.

Not 100% true.

EA was about to shitcan the whole thing without Respawn knowing and MS stepped in to keep it going. Obviously exclusivity would be a part of that deal.

Not quite as sinister as you tried to make it out.

no, what your saying is partly wrong.

Microsoft helped to fund it when it was in trouble, that is true, but that only brought them timed exclusivity of 12 months.

Microsoft then went to EA and brought lifetime exclusivity without respawns knowledge.

http://www.gamesradar.com/respawn-admits-titanfalls-original-xbox-exclusivity-was-a-bit-of-surprise/

You should read up about what happened. ;)

As should you.

Theorry

Microsoft helped to fund it when it was in trouble, that is true, but that only brought them timed exclusivity of 12 months.

Microsoft then went to EA and brought lifetime exclusivity without respawns knowledge.

Isnt that more up to EA to tell the devs? As the publisher.

nekkid

Even if this had any chance of happening, Titanfall 3 won't be coming for years. Respawn are working on their Star Wars game now.

They have two teams.

The TF2 credits specifically credit "The Respawn Star Wars team".

Mik317

I own all 3 (soon to be 4 I guess) of the big 3 consoles...but yeah exclusives are super important regardless of my own thirst for new devices lol. I bought the XB1 for Sunset Overdrive, Phantom Dust and Scalebound....because those were more of my aesthetic and it looked like Microsoft was going towards that......welp.

I think Halo is neat. Not into Car stuff but Forza looks incredible. I found GOW4 to be one of the most boring things I have played in a while.....but to each their own. But I do think they need to branch out a bit. Those franchises, while at the very least good, need some time off. Its very similar to Nintendo own issues with the NSMB series and to a lesser extent the Donkey Kong Country rebirth. Time away makes people more thirsty for a sequel. It probably didn't but man it felt like Halo 4 and Halo 5 came out super close (they didn't it was at least 3 years IIRC)....franchise fatigue is a real thing.

Sony, while I don't really like any of their first party offerings, at the very least keep things to trilogies before moving on it seems. Naughty Dog, for example, has 3 really well done franchises (Crash, Jak, and Uncharted) and TLOU might join it soon. Thats good. Sony also has other things they try from time to time, that may or may not succeed..and for the most part they had (had) variety to them. That plus the built in fact that they will get most of the Japanese output, is a large reason why they caught up and passed Microsoft. The person in the market for a console has to weigh their options and since both systems are rather close in specs (for the everyday guy/gal...not us super nerds), PSN and XBL are close enough in features, close enough in price...the exclusives matter a lot more. The 360 got its big lead thanks to the PS3 being expensive, hard to develop for, having no games (meme but technically true for a bit there), and having a much better online setup... They lack that advantage ATM. Don't think Sony will ever be that arrogant to allow that again.... so they need to find the thing that makes people HAVE to have it over a PS4. I don't think more power is the answer/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People seem to have this rather bizarre concept that Titanfall is a dead series.

EA gloated about for 10+ minutes in their fiscal call, it was the #5 (#4 if you combined Pokemon) game in November's NPD, Respawn has a bunch of explicit Titanfall jobs on their website that are separate from the Star Wars jobs...

Crayon

Titanfall 2 got a ton of good word of mouth post launch. I want to play it now that I learned the sp game is really good. It was lost a bit in the holiday shuffle tho.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
People think Cyberpunk is gonna be exclusive? Lmao I want some of whatever you're on.

The only 3rd party game I can see being exclusive again through a moneyhat is Tomb Raider and even then I doubt that

I could totally see an underperforming multiplat being locked down for a sequel should Microsoft be willing to pony up.

Titanfall 3
Watch Dogs 3

Are two off the top of my head that they could potentially have a crack at.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

http://www.gamesradar.com/respawn-admits-titanfalls-original-xbox-exclusivity-was-a-bit-of-surprise/

As should you.

But the deal was EA. EA didn't inform Respawn. It's not up to Microsoft if Microsoft dealt with EA.

That was ultimately the point. Sneakers tried to paint MS as some shifty evil doer masking deals behind the devs back. When it was on EA to inform them after the deal was made.

I thought they tried.

Yep. Numerous times I believe.

They have two teams.

The TF2 credits specifically credit "The Respawn Star Wars team".

Pretty sure it's a Naughty Dog style "two teams." They have two lead creative teams but only one game is in full production at any one time and then when that game is finished, they move everyone over to the other project. It's a structure designed to reduce layoffs between projects.

Purchasing Moon Studios as a first party was one of Microsofts best decisions.

Are you from the future?

Seriously though, as far as I'm aware, they're still an independent company, they just have an exclusive deal with Microsoft.

Top Bottom