• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameslice with Geoff Keighley Podcast featuring Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson

Exuro

That was great. Really want to hear more about what Stars of Blood was.

Great interview in general. Interested in hearing how else he'll have on the podcast.

38:46 - When Will Valve Make Another game?

I jumped instantly to this. Come on Gabe, that was such a non answer! He didn't really say yes, which would have been an easy answer if that was the answer. Anyway, someone should make a funeral thread for Half Life. It's DONE

Maybe no one at Valve wants to do that? I don't think anyone there wants to do something just for the sake of doing it. It could potentially just result in a bad game they don't really care about.

I dunno, I'd find it very hard to believe anyone involved in a creative medium would ever not want to complete a story they've started. Unless the key people involved in HL left (wasn't one of the Dishonored staff from Valve?)

Nzyme32

I really enjoyed that podcast. Really informal and down to earth and lots of great chat, but got really saddened at the mention of Pratchett and realisation that this was before he passed. Re-reading disc world again for the past month. Been pretty rough for his fans

Anyway, no complaints on the show format. I imagine the personality of the people being interviewed will shape the show, which is great.

Was amusing to hear Gabe's momentum wobble around certain topics. Pretty sure he was trying to keep some things quiet ;)

Can't wait for the next podcast. Seems this and the ramblings of Jinquisition podcast have my gaming podcast needs covered!

joezombie

Gabe thinks smartphones are a waste of time because the future is interfacing directly into our brains and therefore VR applies more to that then these dumb little screens

you scary Gabe

Nzyme32

Gabe thinks smartphones are a waste of time because the future is interfacing directly into our brains and therefore VR applies more to that then these dumb little screens

you scary Gabe

That kind of misses the point by taking it completely out of context of the discussion. He doesn't say "smart phones are a waste of time"

At this point, whatever at Half Life 3, We were just lucky to get Portal 1 and 2 before Valve went multiplayer crazy.

I'm over anticipating it anymore.

But seriously if UGC is there big thing, look at Bethesda Games Studio's games, not an ounce of multiplayer and some of the biggest mod communities / created content ever. Ah well whatever.

Lingitiz

I jumped instantly to this. Come on Gabe, that was such a non answer! He didn't really say yes, which would have been an easy answer if that was the answer. Anyway, someone should make a funeral thread for Half Life. It's DONE

I dunno, I'd find it very hard to believe anyone involved in a creative medium would ever not want to complete a story they've started. Unless the key people involved in HL left (wasn't one of the Dishonored staff from Valve?)

Well I don't doubt that Valve wants to complete that story, but maybe the tech or infrastructure behind what they want to do just isn't there yet. Now that Source 2 and SteamVR are out in the open, maybe it is time for the next game. If we don't hear anything in the next year or two then yeah, I would say they're not making it.

I mean, Eric Wolpaw and crew certainly aren't there to write DOTA 2 lines or something.

Quasar

Part way through. Pretty interesting. The valve view of their games is kind of enlightening.

Geoff. I so want this as a series. This kind of in depth discussion is what games journalism needs. I'd subscribe with say patreon if this was a regular series.

Guri

I don't think they don't want to go back to Half-Life. Gabe's answer seems to imply that if we get sequels to their franchises, then they won't be exactly like they were before. Maybe there will be space in Half-Life for UGC and a co-op mode for Gordon and Alyx. These two options alone include everything they have learnt between Portal 2 and Dota 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think they don't want to go back to Half-Life. Gabe's answer seems to imply that if we get sequels to their franchises, then they won't be exactly like they were before. Maybe there will be space in Half-Life for UGC and a co-op mode for Gordon and Alyx. These two options alone include everything they have learnt between Portal 2 and Dota 2.

Yeah, unlike some others I don't think Valve's desire to incorporate an element of UGC spells the end of in-house SP campaigns.

That Pratchett comment, damn :(

I still hope SoB was just put on hold until their tech matures and wasn't totally cancelled. The concept arts looked really great.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Pratchett comment, damn :(

I still hope SoB was just put on hold until their tech matures and wasn't totally cancelled. The concept arts looked really great.

Yeah, an open-world "space pirate" game with a virtually unlimited budget would be amazing.

Great interview!

I would love it if this became a regular thing for Geoff, he seems so at ease in this format and Gabe actually provided a lot of interesting insight. Wish there were more people like Geoff in the industry to be honest.

Given Gabe's comments on single player games and the games as a service model, it seems to me that the answer to the question "how do we incorporate that business model into a traditional single player model" is pretty straightforward.

Make Half-Life 3 open world.

Okay, so Dota 2 will migrate to Source 2 eventually, then fans will get their hands on it, make mods etc and when Valve sees everything's working properly, they make the engine available to the public. Makes sense. But I hope they will have some other thing to show with it, not just Dota...

Given Gabe's comments on single player games and the games as a service model, it seems to me that the answer to the question "how do we incorporate that business model into a traditional single player model" is pretty straightforward.

Make Half-Life 3 open world.

Valve has yet to make an openworld game. It's an all new world for them. There's nothing to be learned from previous projects of theirs when it comes to that.

Vagabundo

Disappointing that HL3 is canned - or at least unloved - at Valve. I'd love an end to the story.

Its made me hate Valve, just a little, because its one of my favorite game series ever.

Valve has yet to make an openworld game. It's an all new world for them. There's nothing to be learned from previous projects of theirs when it comes to that.

Sure, but according to the podcast Valve loves being uncomfortable and exploring new ground. They also have a lot of data on Skyrim, a huge success on their platform and a good example of how a single player game can have longevity and community support.

Gabe talking about how important it is to keep the platform open (and referring to windows 8 going the opposite direction)

People always dismiss it but it's the one and only thing that makes the PC platform what it is, the moment you close it down in any way it's ruined.

GlamFM

Banned
Disappointing that HL3 is canned - or at least unloved - at Valve. I'd love an end to the story.

Its made me hate Valve, just a little, because its one of my favorite game series ever.

This is not what I got from the interview AT ALL.

IGN transcribed the following Gabe part

"I think, obviously people want to see…you know, if somebody likes Team Fortress, they like to see what we can do with Team Fortress, or Left 4 Dead, or Half Life, or everything. And so, what we are trying to do is come up with ways so that we are both…you know, we love all those games, we love all those characters, and universes, and storylines. And we have no shortage of opportunities, so we try to be a little bit strategic instead of like, okay, this is the piece of the puzzle that we can solve with this set of technologies that we have developed and this is the new piece of technology that we think is going to be generally useful…so this ties up well with this property.

"If you think of it, each one of our franchises represents our tool, and you just want to pick up the right tool at the right time. So Dota 2 is incredibly character rich, I mean there are like a 110 characters, so if you have problem that involves wanting to work on the aspect of having lots and lots of those strongly realized characteristics, then Dota 2 is the right place to do it.

"So, when we are thinking of the next challenges then we tend to pick the franchises that are most useful in going forward. And if we don’t have one, then obviously we have to create a new one. But you know, I get it, I'm a fan of TV shows, I'm a fan of writers, I'm a fan of movies, I'm a fan of games and I certainly understand why people are like, you know, hey I remember this awesome experience and I'm starting to get worried that I'm never going to have it again. I am fan of Terry Pratchett and he has Alzheimer’s, it’s like, Oh my god, I may never get another great discworld novel.

"So we understand it and we feel that, and we think at the end of the day, customers are going to be really happy with where we spent our time and how we have turned that into entertainment for them.

"But we are also going to build on what we learned, and we have learned a lot. We aren’t going to go all retro because there are too many interesting things that have been learned. The only reason we would go back and do a ‘super classic’ kind of product is if a whole bunch of people internally at Valve said they wanted to do it, and had a reasonable explanation for why it was. But, you know, if you wanted to do another Half Life game and you want to ignore everything we have learned in shipping Portal 2, and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side, that seems like a bad choice. So we will keep moving forward but that doesn’t necessarily always mean what people are worried that it mean. "

http://me.ign.com/en/pc/103771/news/gabe-newell-i-get-it-people-worrying-about-not-hav

HariKari

Disappointing that HL3 is canned - or at least unloved - at Valve.

It's not. They're trying to figure out how to make it live on forever as its own thing, the way Dota and CS have/will. Gabe clarified that later, even after the part about the next games they're working on. They want to make something that can live and grow, preferably on its own with users doing a lot of the workshop work. I took that as them trying to figure out how to reconcile that with Half Life, a distinctly singleplayer game.

I'm okay with their position. That's how the market is trending, and it's also better for the players in the long run.

The days of a big SP only experiences from Valve certainly seem dead if Gabe's words are anything to go by.

It's not. They're trying to figure out how to make it live on forever as its own thing, the way Dota and CS have/will. Gabe clarified that later, even after the part about the next games they're working on. They want to make something that can live and grow, preferably on its own with users doing a lot of the workshop work. I took that as them trying to figure out how to reconcile that with Half Life, a distinctly singleplayer game.

I'm okay with their position. That's how the market is trending, and it's also better for the players in the long run.

The days of a big SP only experiences from Valve certainly seem dead if Gabe's words are anything to go by.

This.

Half-Life is very much alive people. Its just a question of what form it will take, how do they make it live and breathe and become something more than just a finite 12 hr SP campaign. I have a feeling it'll resolve into a SP entry point experience, a persistent world with co-op of some sort and UGC modules to add basically endless content. It'll be exciting to see how it works out.

On one side I respect Valve for building a solid foundation on the PC platform and trying to bring that to the living room. I can also respect their innovations with VR since that seems like the next big step for a lot of people

But on the other side I'm really disapointed with the way they've handled their franchises. I started Half-Life when I was 11 and now I'm almost 30 with no resolution to the story. For what reqson? So Valve can figure out how to incorporate micro transactions and workshop items into the story? I really wish they would have just dumped out Episode 3 on Source 1 and then moved onto different projects. At least outsource it another studio or something. It's my favorite franchise and it sucks to watch all of these other games take priority over something that needs closure.

Just my two cents

oh god, someone on reddit counted the you knows?

Podcast was great, lots of interesting questions. One thing I noticed:

"...you know..."

Eric: 14

Geoff: 53

Gabe: 189

UPDATE: most "you know" per minute was around when Geoff asked will Valve ever make a classic game again. Gabe was clearly more uncomfortable the usual.

Saty

On one hand you gotta appreciate Gabe not having overly-rehearsed dry response but on the other hand it gives the impression as if he's always blindsided\surprised when he's asked about it. Valve already thought like this internally for years so it's funny they still can't convey it clearly.

I really don't know what Valve get talk about HL in plain English. Anyhow, this is pretty much as direct an answer we are going to get. This is how it is: Valve aren't making a new HL game that will play like the previous entries. Valve are looking to transform the HL series in a way that enables 'as a service' functionality. Everyone's best to just cross Valve's name off the list of SP content creators until (if) they prove otherwise.

Now, why did it take 8 years and an interviewer to invite them to do a podcast for Gabe to provide this answer? Why didn't inform the fans that this is how how they think about a future HL game? A company that prides on listing to fans and working for them just doesn't act the way Valve acts despite the deluge of fans wanting and asking them to say something. Really is baffling and it's making them as a whole worse.

Couldn't they just mess around with HL:DM?
Don't think so. How is making HL3 that is a pure SP game that has a segregated MP any different than HL1 and HL2? How does that fit with Gabe's comments of going forward with their games and learning from the launch of Portal 2 and supporting the MP titles? Sadly, i can't interpret this in any way other than making HL's main attraction something different.

This is really disappointing because the fans don't want that with HL and because in the past Valve wasn't keen on the approach of devs and pubs jumping on trends and making everything have X or Y. Valve seems to have turned to one of those devs and now must include 'as-a-service'\UGC functionality to every game they do. That's not what defined Valve in my eyes since their foundation.

Newell basically said it outright: Valve isn't going back to making SP games in the vein of HL and Portal unless everybody there started to make one and had a good reason to do so. That's not something you say if you did have in mind HL3 as pure SP VR game.

But what i really want to understand is what are these lessons Gabe mentions leaning from Portal 2 and the MP games? If you seek to better explain yourself to the community and makes the fans have a better comprehension of Valve's inner workings, then please can you actually describe and list those lessons?
I can't think of lessons from Portal 2 that would make Valve more inclined to go down the 'as a service' road for SP games.

Here's how i analyzed Portal 2 and its launch:
1. Valve originally envisioned Portal 2 as portal-less and Chell-less. Playtesters hated it. - If there's a lesson here, it's not to try to reinvent the wheel in sequels and ditch what people liked and want more of. Can't see why Valve would be thrilled making the next HL a stark departure from the rest and push stuff like UGC.

2. Valve's push for 'as-a-service' features in Portal 2 failed. People rejected\didn't care about buying cosmetic items for the robots in the Co-op mode. Why would it be different in a would-be HL3?

3. Portal 2 was a success because a lot of people think highly and love Valve's own produced content. That's the reason players buy their games in the first place. They hold Valve's SP skills and content as one of the best. Why would they want a UGC push\focus for Valve's SP franchises?

4. Valve dismissed the players' demand and desire for Valve-authored content. Valve made 0 Portal 2 SP DLC. As much as the map creators are doing a supreme work with Portal 2 mods and map packs, Valve are missing the big picture of people wanting in-house content.

5. If anything, Portal 2 was and continues to be a PERFECT candidate for a continuous 'as-a-service' initiative as i've outlined in the past. Valve could have turned it to their gameplay\mechanics experiment lab but they showed zero inclination to do so, missing an enormous opportunity in my eyes.

--
I fear whatever SP game\content Valve is going to release in the future is going to be just so people buy it and then enable all the fans and users creating and doing their thing. A sort of a continuation of the Portal 2 situation that got flack on it's SP campaign and that any content it's getting in the months and years after is user created.

At this point, I think I would be happy with just an Orange Box 2 which has a remastered version of Portal 1 and 2, L4D 1 and 2, and maybe remastered HL2 and episodes.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Am I the only one that finds Gabe incredibly boring?
I found him incredibly fascinating to listen to. The guy's a visionary and there's lots of interesting tidbits in what he's saying.

I found Keighley's questions and comments to be pretty lightweight in comparison. Whatever, his approach yielded a great podcast regardless, and I hope he uses his industry contacts to deliver more.

Top Bottom