• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

Kyoufu

That's what that second tweet is all about. They're focused on World and want everyone to be excited about it. Do not expect XX before World basically. I don't think this gamble will pay off unfortunately. XX will save them after they learn their lesson. And they'll go back to what made the series popular to begin with.

MH World will sell more than XX though so not sure what it's supposed to "save". Monster Hunter doesn't need saving.

Skyzard

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwa6LCg5tU

You were saying? Again, the decision to have maximum of 2 monsters in an area at the same time has nothing to do with hardware power and everything to do with design choice. It's the same thing with maps having separated zones. Even the beastly Monster Hunter Online on Cryengine has segmented zones.

Talking the number of monsters outside the context of their AI, animations, and the environment isn't the point I'm trying to get across.
Everything they add to the game has an impact, it all adds up and gets more and more power hungry for each addition, the better the quality you're going for. More cuts would have had to be made if it was designed with the Switch in mind. More power = do more with it = more interest generated.

They went with maximum power available to them to try and entice a bigger audience, leaving the switch out to achieve that. They made the right call here for trying to grab a new big western audience. Graphics, world immersion and interactivity are always key selling points here. They're going to need as much power as they can get for this kind of game.

CISphil

Neo Member
I'm very pissed at this. I bought the Switch for Monster Hunter
Yeah, yeah I know I shouldn't have just assumed
. Now I'm not sure I even want to keep it.

I really want a handheld Monster Hunter again.The 3DS ones are far too cumbersome for me. I hope they do come around since they still seem at least open to a localization.

Lelou

This is hilarious. If you think MH World's budget is so large that they can't recoup costs with 2 million units sold then, well, you're crazy.

Well, it would be a flop for a 100 of reason if it sell like this..
XX could be probably sell 3 millions (jp release + eu/usa) alone, and it's only a porting of a old title.

Rmagnus

Banned
I'm very pissed at this. I bought the Switch for Monster Hunter
Yeah, yeah I know I shouldn't have just assumed
. Now I'm not sure I even want to keep it.

I really want a handheld Monster Hunter again.The 3DS ones are far too cumbersome for me. I hope they do come around since they still seem at least open to a localization.

Sell the switch than. You can always buy it again if it comes to the west

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This is hilarious. If you think MH World's budget is so large that they can't recoup costs with 2 million units sold then, well, you're crazy.

And you would think that 1.5M in the west alone for localizations of handheld MH would be good for Capcom, but yet here we are.

Lizardus

The ways enemies interact with each other is gameplay.

I count at least 10 enemies including flying ones in the gif where the monster is swallowing another, seems like a pretty huge, lush area too.

It wouldn't look anywhere near that quality if it was an up port from switch. I just hope there's no significant downgrade.

I dunno how much the gameplay improves, we'll have to see but I've got high hopes from what they've shown.

Talking the number of monsters outside the context of their AI, animations, and the environment isn't the point I'm trying to get across.
Everything they add to the game has an impact, it all adds up and gets more and more power hungry for each addition, the better the quality you're going for. More cuts would have had to be made if it was designed with the Switch in mind. More power = do more with it.

They went with maximum power available to them to try and entice a bigger audience, leaving the switch out to achieve that. They made the right call here for trying to grab a new big western audience. Graphics, world immersion and interactivity are always key selling points here. They're going to need as much power as they can get for this kind of game.

And we're talking a 3DS vs a Switch. It can EASILY be done and I know you know this. Stop digging deeper.

Lelou

If winning the lottery was this easy I'd be a billionaire.

A localised XX would be on one platform, MH World will be on 3 platforms.

A localised XX could be on 2 platforms, even 3 if you want to bet on the dying wiiu.
And we know already that 3ds sold consoles are a lot more than the ps4 userbase

I don't get the point of this comparisons

Frodo

And you would think that 1.5M in the west alone for handheld MH would be good for Capcom, but yet here we are.

And that is not even for a game, because the game is ready. 1.5 million is not enough for a localization.

Edit: caught you before your edit. :)

MH World will sell more than XX though so not sure what it's supposed to "save". Monster Hunter doesn't need saving.
lol maybe worldwide. World is barely gonna cross 1 million in Japan. XX is likely at 2 million counting digital sales and without them, its at 1.6 million retail only right now

Skyzard

Banned
And we're talking a 3DS vs a Switch. It can EASILY be done and I know you know this. Stop digging deeper.

What can easily be done? Porting MH:W to Switch? I'm not sure either way tbh, we'll have to wait and see, but I'd expect XX to come before world on switch here.

Just seems like the capcom thing to do, they already have the game made, and it leaves them free to focus on the main branch of world, possibly for post-release support too.

Kyoufu

lol maybe worldwide. World is barely gonna cross 1 million in Japan. XX is likely at 2 million counting digital sales and without them, its at 1.6 million retail only right now

Of course. Japan is a lost cause for console games, especially when 2 of the mentioned 3 platforms are basically non-entities in that market.

Worldwide however, it should do better than Generations did simply due to the fact that consoles have a much larger piece of the pie and 3 of the most popular platforms in the west.

Raide

1.5-2 mil would still be really low for growth and be more or less similar to their handheld stuff in the west.

Handheld has had years of building up a userbase and it never really gets massive. IF it sells 2 mill, that is great for a renewed focus on home consoles. If done well, it could easily surpass the handheld versions. It's a big IF of course.

M3d10n

It's certainly a larger budget than a 3DS game. Which sold 1.5 million in the West. Capcom would need at least 4 million sales in the West to match the lower maximum sales potential of a PS4 game versus a 3DS game in Japan plus the extra costs of HD assets.

Anyway, back to XX like another poster encouraged.

I really, really want to hope that they're just keeping the announcement for XX localizations in the wings as they trot out their hot new item.

Because I'll take the new game, I'll contribute to the Western growth they're looking for (provided it is, in fact, good), on the Xbox as well in fact!

But I would also like the traditional game on a portable, and I'm sure there are enough potential sales to justify it. And I'm ok if they're delaying an announcement for a different time; but I just want it to happen. And there aren't really great excuses for it to not happen eventually, in my opinion.

Thank you very much. Third party sales seem rather weak for the install base, but it was the Wii, after all.

104 million sellers is pretty good i would say even if you subtract the nintendo releases.

if its going to do 2 million, as someone in this forum suggested than XX will outsell it in japan alone. XX is still chugging along on 3DS and used game prices have not collapsed so far. and the switch version is going to do another 300k to 500k thanks to the splatoon 2 crowd wanting the next local multiplayer game
Anyway, back to XX like another poster encouraged.

I really, really want to hope that they're just keeping the announcement for XX localizations in the wings as they trot out their hot new item.

Because I'll take the new game, I'll contribute to the Western growth they're looking for (provided it is, in fact, good), on the Xbox as well in fact!

But I would also like the traditional game on a portable, and I'm sure there are enough potential sales to justify it. And I'm ok if they're delaying an announcement for a different time; but I just want it to happen. And there aren't really great excuses for it to not happen eventually, in my opinion.
so much this. I resent the notion that just because MHW exists MHXX should not be released.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I do think people are saying the gameplay possibilities PS4 opens up that Switch doesn't aren't big in areas other than graphics.

Besides graphics being one of the biggest draws to a game, the power gap between SW and PS4, is almost a generation. There are numerous clear benefits, from model detail, animations, size of areas, player counts, enemy counts, AI and online options.

I don't know how Capcom expected different. Alienate the vocal Nintendo fanbase, while the new target fanbase is like "MHW? Looks kinda interesting... mmm the graphics aren't nowhere near Horizon. OMG, GoW in early 2018 looks swole!"

Look at this strawman go

Pila

I bought a 3DS because of you, Capcom. I was ready to get XX on ANY platform.

I love MH but these guys are just a pain to deal with. Good luck with that World game, I'm out.

membran

That could be due to the CPU, though. PRO's CPU is very close to the PS4's. Besides, doing 60fps has never been a priority in PRO versions: pushing more beautiful graphics sells more than 60 fps does unfortunately.

I don't really care on why that is as long as they don't put a 30fps on the PC version as well. But back on topic, I somehow thought I was in the MH World thread, sorry.

Of course. Japan is a lost cause for console games, especially when 2 of the mentioned 3 platforms are basically non-entities in that market.

Worldwide however, it should do better than Generations did simply due to the fact that consoles have a much larger piece of the pie and 3 of the most popular platforms in the west.

Generations is at 4.2 million WW right now. Do you really think the west will pick up Japan's slack and sell upwards of 3 million+ units?

Anyway I believe Capcom had a Major title for their fiscal year that they planned on it selling 2 million units. Not sure if MH World is it but in the case that it is they could probably reach it if the game releases in January rather than March like XX did when it failed to meet expectations.

Are you? I think you're trolling, because MH World looks nothing like a game that needs millions to break even.
No, I think you're just being a little naive if you think 2 million would see Capcom breaking even on this. It's already been in development for what? Four years? I think this game is way more expensive than you think it is.

ggx2ac

Generations is at 4.2 million WW right now. Do you really think the west will pick up Japan's slack and sell upwards of 3 million+ units?

Anyway I believe Capcom had a Major title for their fiscal year that they planned on it selling 2 million units. Not sure if MH World is it but in the case that it is they could probably reach it if the game releases in January rather than March like XX did when it failed to meet expectations.

You're confusing it with lots of other 2 million numbers.

RE7 forecast, MvC:I forecast, 2.75 million sales in Japan forecast.

They haven't forecasted the game they didn't reveal.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I do think people are saying the gameplay possibilities PS4 opens up that Switch doesn't aren't big in areas other than graphics.

It really depends on what you mean by "gameplay possibilities". Adding entirely new mechanics isn't so easy in an established series (risk changing things too much) and you could probably make an argument that plenty of genres haven't really advanced in terms of mechanics beyond the PS2 era. Not because the tech isn't there, but because you don't want to make your game stupidly complex and inaccessible... not even getting into control input limitations.

So, the possibilities are those arising out of bigger and more detailed environments, physics systems, AI, amount that can go on at one time without tanking the framerate etc. More overhead so you can attempt ambitious things without running into tech brick walls.

I'm not saying these things are being displayed in this game based on what we've seen, but isn't it pretty obvious that better tech opens up more possibilities?

Anyway, I think it's very likely XX will release in the West but Capcom will stay quiet until after World releases. It would be a totally stupid move not to release it... like unbelievably stupid.

Kyoufu

When I say Generations I mean the localised version in the west, not including MHX in Japan.

I doubt Capcom expects MH World's western sales to pick up the slack of domestic performance. That would just be silly.

When I say Generations I mean the localised versions in the west, not including MHX in Japan.

I doubt Capcom expects MH World's western sales to pick up the slack of domestic performance. That would just be silly.

well if that is not their expectation than the move is not really understandable (unless there is a MH5 on portables)

but man... lets stay on topic please ;P
I bought a 3DS because of you, Capcom. I was ready to get XX on ANY platform.

I love MH but these guys are just a pain to deal with. Good luck with that World game, I'm out.

to be fair. 3DS users got 3 MH games (5 if you are in japan) and a spinoff which seems to be pretty good (albeit very different)

Kyoufu

well if that is not their expectation than the move is not really understandable (unless there is a MH5 on portables)

but man... lets stay on topic please ;P

Well I mean, the goal is clearly to grow the brand overseas and they clearly don't believe XX would do that for them so it's not a priority for them to localise the game just yet (if at all).

Like I said before though, I'm not ruling out a localisation of XX at some point after World has released. In fact I expect it to happen.

Rmagnus

Banned
Well I mean, the goal is clearly to grow the brand overseas and they clearly don't believe XX would do that for them so it's not a priority for them to localise the game just yet (if at all).

Like I said before though, I'm not ruling out a localisation of XX at some point after World has released. In fact I expect it to happen.

Makes perfect sense, after world is out,MHXX players are already tired of waiting or imported it, claims sales did not meet expectations and good bye western portable monster hunter. Even generation you have to damage one of your brands capcom

Top Bottom