• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite's Weird-Looking Chun-Li Will Be Improved

Since when does game development just.. stop once you're 2 months away from the launch of a game, especially when we're not talking big changes but tidying up models and presentation?

Destiny 2 is releasing two weeks earlier and is still undergoing balancing in response to feedback as we speak, just like MvC:I is incorporating feedback from recent builds. It's the norm.

Bro....

There is a difference between balance changes and minor tweaks Vs Reworking your graphics engine.

Alot of models need work but they just can't be zoomed in on, they aren't made for that. They look ok to good during gameplay but abysmal during those in game cinematics. The art direction overall is bad. I honestly doubt there will be major changes they are too close to release.

All these need work:

-Chun-Li
-Captain America
-Chris Redfield
-Dante's Face
-Dr. Strange's outfit mostly the shirt and pants.
-Haggar looks strange in this artstyle maybe its the face

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I find it alarming that they needed feedback to know how shit some characters look.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Who could that be?

Chris, Dante, Spencer, etc.

I find it alarming that they needed feedback to know how shit some characters look.

Ironically enough the only reason why Marvel characters look so good because they have Marvel workers checking on their contents and make sure they are doing them faithfully. I wonder why not for Capcom too? I guess they doesn't have someone to check their quality on their end.

Roo

Chris, Dante, Spencer, etc.

Ironically enough the only reason why Marvel characters look so good because they have Marvel workers checking on their contents and make sure they are doing them faithfully. I wonder why not for Capcom too? I guess they doesn't have someone to check their quality on their end.
To be completely honest, you don't have to be an expert to see those character models and say: "yes, these are shit"

Whoever is in charge of the character model design needs to be fired lol

She looks so good in V. I don't know what they were thinking when they released that story trailer at E3...she looked like a Stoned Bratz doll.

gablekevin

Neo Member
That's... demonstrably wrong.

There art style is trash, don't get me wrong but it does not look like an upscaled PS3 game, let alone a PS2 one.

Its not even worth acknowledging trolls like this man. They are probably on FFXII remaster threads going "i dont see the difference". If you dont like the artstyle thats fine but dont start making things up

On a technical level they are on top of their game but the NRS designs are still too busy and some are still fugly looking.
People aren't wrong, but IJ2 is the first NRS game that I feel looks great. Minus some clunky animations. Just looking at IJ1 they have come a long way. Just looking how clashes come together too, looked so weird in IJ1 lol..

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
To be completely honest, you don't have to be an expert to see those character models and say: "yes, these are shit"

Whoever is in charge of the character model design needs to be fired lol

Exactly, I don't deny that but sometime people are blinded by their works being biased, and all that.

People are focusing on Chun because she's the worst looking but tbh none of the characters look especially good besides Jedah and X.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bro....

There is a difference between balance changes and minor tweaks Vs Reworking your graphics engine.
The graphics engine doesn't need a rework. The art style just should have been more stylized than realistic to start with to better accommodate Capcom characters that come from games that are heavily stylized or really old.

This is a real concern, but they're probably just working under pretty big budget constraints.

Funny how people smack talk NRS about character design and praise capcom. Seems like a 180 of that now.
Yeah, I think this is the clearest example yet of NRS and Capcom swapping traditional roles here, where NRS used to get a lot of shit for their faces (even with early IJ2, which also improved as development got really close to release) and the other way around for Capcom. NRS animations are still WOAT, though.

People are focusing on Chun because she's the worst looking but tbh none of the characters look especially good besides Jedah and X.
Nonsense. Gamora, Nova, Nemesis, Captain Marvel, Thanos, Strider etc. all look fantastic. The models in this game mostly look good with a small minority of them that need a little work:

- Chun-Li's face and head proportions
- Chris' face and head proportions
- Dante's face and skin tone
- Haggar's skin tone
- Tony Stark's face
- Cap's original design is just ugly, not much to be done there besides a new model altogether

Now, the art-style is a whole other complaint altogether, but perhaps one of the biggest knocks against the game because it disproportionately affects Capcom characters.

Maybe the worst thing about the Story Demo was that it showed everyone on XGard, which as we've seen, has the worst lighting of all the different environments we've seen characters in thus far.

Nonsense. Gamora, Nova, Nemesis, Captain Marvel, Thanos, Strider etc. all look fantastic. The models in this game mostly look good with a small minority of them that need a little work:

- Chun-Li's face and head proportions
- Chris' face and head proportions
- Dante's face and skin tone
- Haggar's skin tone
- Tony Stark's face
- Cap's original design is just ugly, not much to be done there besides a new model altogether

Now, the art-style is a whole other complaint altogether, but perhaps one of the biggest knocks against the game because it disproportionately affects Capcom characters.

Maybe the worst thing about the Story Demo was that it showed everyone on XGard, which as we've seen, has the worst lighting of all the different environments we've seen characters in thus far.

Half of those were from 3 though. The rest aren't looking terrible but they're nothing amazing either. I'm singling out Jedah and X because they're the only ones who look like they came from old school Capcom.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I don't think a single character in this game looks good aside from Gamora. I mean atleast characters that don't wear masks.

Jedah looks pretty good

Skab

Bro....

Reworking the graphics engine? What?

They're not doing anything near that level, just giving the models more work. There's a huge difference there.

Jawmuncher

Still say a big issue is an apparent rush dev time and needing to make a deadline. This why they're saying faces are "day one". However I do think they'd have tried to sneak past had there not been a large fuss made around them.

So while it's sad that such measures are needed to be heard. At least in this case it worked. Had the majority of comments just been "I hope they fix it" and the game hadn't been meme'd on hard on basically every social media outlet. We'd be no where with potential improvements.

Too bad they won't do anything about 4 females in the roster though.

They better fix those goddamn eyebrows, it's like 3/4 of them are missing. They have the pretty good SF5 model to base this off of, what were they even referncing when modeling her?

shaowebb

People weren't loud enough about Dante's face it seems.

Man the more I look at it the worse it gets.

AuRiJIQ.jpg

.la1n

I hope for Capcom's sake that day one patch is amazing. If not, the backlash they are seeing now will be a drop in the bucket.

mcmmaster

Shouldn't have happened in the first place had they cared for the IP and characters and not rushed out minimal effort products.

The marketing and development for this game is pathetic and it boggles my mind people are looking forward to it, especially after the train wreck that SFV is.

Shouldn't have happened in the first place had they cared for the IP and characters and not rushed out minimal effort products.

The marketing and development for this game is pathetic and it boggles my mind people are looking forward to it, especially after the train wreck that SFV is.

I think Justin Wong put it best

to paraphrase what he said

Even if you don't like MvCI you're going to buy it and play it because you want to be part of the scene.

Bronetta

Even if you don't like MvCI you're going to buy it and play it because you want to be part of the scene.

Because that worked out so well for SFV. Most entrants ever at EVO, total commercial flop on the market. Couldnt even get to their initial target of 2 million.

Mediking

This diehard FGC has really gotta stop this kinda thinking. It gets them nowhere. If the sales for this game turns out to be a bomb... what's he gonna say then?

Mediking

I'm not denying it's selling like shit, but it'll still get the competition.

I actually played a little bit of SFV against a pretty experienced guy the other day. He was playing like it was life or death for him. He was on tilt and hungry for a win. I was like, "Oh, he's fgc for sure." Lol

So people will buy 2 million copies of this (Capcom's expectations for the title) just so they can be part of the scene? Isn't that the same line of thinking that led to SFV's commercial failure?

jett

D-Member
Because that worked out so well for SFV. Most entrants ever at EVO, total commercial flop on the market. Couldnt even get to their initial target of 2 million.

I assume Wong was only talking about the hardcore FG fans, which are the ones doing most of the MvCI hating.

Capcom's focus on esports blew up in their faces with SFV. Even their TV ads were about esports. I have no idea what's their marketing plan for MvCI, but I imagine not that.

Top Bottom