• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: No Playable Female Character in new Zelda [UP: Additional Comments in OP]

Oersted

Man, if you're this upset and shocked that an established franchise that has starred a male character for 30 years isn't letting you play as a female...

Wow.

That doesn't even resemble a compelling argument. Let me try to help you.

That an established franchise that has starred a male character for 30 years is still not letting you play as a female is for the better because...

Now your turn.

Biltmore

Banned
nintendo continually allows you to rename the character, gives no real characterization, admits that he's just an avatar, and shoves skyward sword's shitty reincarnation throwaway ending down people's throats. Sounds like it is their fault.

It's their fault that you invented up something that was never true? Nintendo has never stated that there would be a female Link...not once. If you've been building this up so much that finding out that Link is, once again, a male that's completely your fault.

It's hilarious that people are giving Nintendo shit about this. It's basically akin to having a dream about your partner cheating on you and then when they get home from work you going ape shit on them about it and acting like they've actually done something wrong. It's your invention, it's your issue, Nintendo played no part in it and is completely blameless.

No. This is specifically for this game because of the rumors and this series because the lore does not prohibit a gender-bent character.

But it is a little sad that a forums take on a game makes you enjoy a game less. Perhaps you shouldn't get so invested in what random people on the internet say. Don't mean to be a dick, but if everyone here hated a game and I loved it I'd just shrug it off because who cares.

Rumors that were basically invented on forums like this.

And it's no less sad for him to enjoy a game less because of all the uproar here than it is to enjoy a game less because a made up rumor about Link being female didn't come true, which is the stance of quite a few people in this thread.

Wavebossa

The best answer for this would have been.

"Zelda is the female lead of the series, Link is canonically male. As of right now, we do not have a game with Zelda as the main character."

There, simple, easy and to the point. Sure people will be mad, but at least it would have caused an additional controversy with the Zelda statement.

Honestly, I would have been fine with this answer

I'm not even opposed to the idea of a gender toggle at the start of the game. I'd have been fine with that.

What I don't like is how people are trying to portray Nintendo as regressive/sexist/behind the times and what have you because they don't get exactly what they wanted.

They make a lot of inclusive games (as I said above, the grand majority of their games have playable female characters and quite a few even character creators), they most definitely are allowed to "get away with " just having Zelda as this one series where you are the male Link fighting the evil male Ganon and doing something with a female Zelda (like teaming up in ST, or even following in her footsteps in SS) .

And people should stop using Zelda's bullshit made-up-as-they-go-along lore to justify anything. Both sides of the argument.

I personally would have no problem if there was the option to play a female Link in Zelda games. It'd probably be kinda neat, actually.

The whining over him NOT being female, however, makes me sincerely hope it never happens. Really people, give it a rest and let Nintendo do what they want.

Can we at least agree that the reasoning behind Aonuma's decision for not including any female playable character was weak as soft shit?

You'd sturggle to come up with a more tone-deaf response from Nintendo that the one they gave.

XAL

I'd rather they make Linkle or whatever the fuck her own game instead of placating people by providing an alternate skin. At least then Nintendo will be forced to put out another game.

Too much time passes between worthwhile games on nintendo consoles.

Can we at least agree that the reasoning behind Aonuma's decision for not including any female playable character was weak as soft shit?

It's their IP and they can do what they want with it. Just because people whine for something to happen doesn't mean they have to obey.

Not including a genderbent model is not some great injustice that requires interrogation. Just move on.

Yogg

That an established franchise that has starred a male character for 30 years is still not letting you play as a female is for the better because...

Now your turn.

Not all games should be forced to give that option ! Respecting diversity also means respecting the fact that some protagonists are female, some are male, and some give a choice.

I don't really understand why people want female link so much. The character is iconically known as male. He needs to be female why? They could just create a unique heroine for a Zelda game, would make far more sense.

I don't know why people want this so badly.

Purple~

people make up a story about link being a girl
turns out link isn't a girl, he's a boy like in literally every other zelda game
nintendo are suddenly sexists

??????

I don't understand this notion that has popped up in the last year or so that we need to take all the existing video game icons and turn them into women. Why?
These characters are iconic and these games are loved mostly because of these characters. To do something like change their gender is such a massive change to a character that it no longer resembles what people loved about that iconic character.

And if you want to argue that people want female protagonists in games, then people should create new characters. Not just replace all the existing men with women.

And on top of that, female protagonists in gaming is happening. Look at this E3. We have ReCore, Horizon, Dishonered 2, Neir Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Bound, Walking Dead Season 3. All these games have a female protagonist (or in ME's case, an option for one).

DuffDry

Well for one we've seen multiple female characters show sexual attraction to Link such as Princess Ruto, Marin, Ilia, Malon, Zelda, and Midna so either we need to make a whole lot of characters bisexual, make them all male, or change a lot of lines of dialogue. In Twilight Princess the role a female Link would have been expected to play in the village would be different based upon how we see the villagers living their lives and you'd have to rewrite a lot of lines of dialogue to justify why this female Link would be handling the primarily male roles in the village. In Majora's Mask we'd have a huge problem when Zora Link showed up trying to pass himself off as someone else and had boobs, the lines around the deku princess would also have to be change since I think she challenges Link's manhood in his interactions with her (I think Tetra did too in Wind Waker but I don't remember the opening of that game very well) and who knows what kind of weirdness would happen when female Link attempted to turn into a female Goron. In Wind Waker we'd need to explain why female Link wasn't taken by Helmaroc King being a blonde female like her little sister.

Just off the top of my head but none of those are simple "make Link female and the game plays out the same" without a lot of effort going into changing things up to make it work.

Good examples. Thanks. If I rope time together I'd love to add some thoughts on them.

Wavebossa

I'm not even opposed to the idea of a gender toggle at the start of the game. I'd have been fine with that.

What I don't like is how people are trying to portray Nintendo as regressive/sexist/behind the times and what have you because they don't get exactly what they wanted.

I think people (at least myself) are potraying Nintendo this way not because of a lack of FemLink, but rather for their borderline sexist reasoning.

I actually have no issue with the lack of a FemLink/Zelda lead personally... but saying it is because Link wont have shit to do is baffling

I don't know if you mean Nintendo developed, or published, but I'll just list a bunch of recent "Nintendo" games with playable female characters. The ones with a (?) are just Nintendo published (in NA, at least):

I omitted games with ambiguous characters, like Kirby and Yoshi.

Also, I left question marks off of some of the Camelot Mario sports titles, as they are ostensibly 'Nintendo' titles, even if not developed in-house. For no good reason, I left question marks on for Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros. (mainly because they're in more unique predicaments than the Camelot Mario titles).

Let's see...

Splatoon - Great (female default)
Pokemon X and Y - Good (male default?)
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - Good (male default?)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Great (no default, though super bad w/ race)
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival - Great (no default?)
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - Great (no default, race options)
Fire Emblem: Fates - Good (male default)
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Good (male default)
Super Mario 3D World - Goodish (multiple playable female characters, though one is locked until way later in the game; also main character is debatably Mario)
Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers - Great (Toadette is captured at first, but they turn the tables and have Toad get captured later and make her the lead; slightly problematic in that more levels have you play as Toad than Toadette)
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Good (not sure about default; didn't it come out that Elma was originally the star but was replaced by a gender-optional MC?)
Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Great (never played, but I presume it has plenty of female characters)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Okay (as you note, Dixie is only truly playable in multi-player)
Code Name S.T.E.A.M. - Okay (main character is male, and the gender ratio is 6-3 in favor of men)
Pikmin 3 - Good (shares lead character credit, but I like her)
Mario Kart 7 - Okay (aside from Mii, only female character options are Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and Honey Queen vs. objectively male characters Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser, DK, Toad, Wario, Metal Mario, and Shy Guy; subjectively male characters like Lakitu, Wiggler, and Koopa Troopa tend to be male by default when a gender is given, and when one is female, it's usually obvious)
Mario Kart 8 - Okay (the only original characters added from 7 to 8 are Toadette, Isabelle, Villager [who is male by default], and Wendy O. Koopa; most of the female character additions were different versions of existing characters, including Pink Gold Peach, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, and Cat Peach)
Mario Golf: World Tour - Okay (same issue as MK, most characters are male characters or generic enemies that usually default to male; without DLC, female players have only three choices in terms of female characters)
Mario Tennis Open - Poor (has a few playable female characters, but one of them is just Baby Peach; men meanwhile have 11 characters, with two generic enemies who default to male)
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Okay (has better representation than Open did, significantly so; all female characters are original without any baby versions or whatever. It's 10 male characters, five female, and one generic)
Mario Party: Island Tour - Okay (2 out of 10 characters are female)
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - Great (haven't played it, but I am under the impression that it only stars a female character)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - Good (Significantly better than any Smash before it for representation. It still has MUCH more male characters, and many of the female characters are gender-option character. It does however at least have a gender-option character where female is the default)
Hyrule Warriors - Great (while Link is the de facto lead, there are a lot of female characters from which to choose, including a female main villain for the second time in the series' history if I recall correctly)
Fantasy Life - Good (not sure about default)
Yo-kai Watch - Good (as above)
Fossil Fighters: Frontier - Unsure
Bravely Default - Great (while the mainest character is male, the two female characters are great and are just about as important)
Bayonetta 2 - Great (for obvious reasons)
The Wonderful 101 - Okay (I like Wonder-Pink a lot, but she stands out as the "token girl")
Disney Magical World - Unsure
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition - Unsure about P&DZ, and "Okay" for Mario (I believe that a lot of the characters, at least early on, are either generic enemies or Mario & Luigi)
Miis - A bit of a copout since Nintendo would actively have to be trying to be a jerk to not have playable female Miis but playable male Miis :p

I think with this list, the picture I get is that of all the games, only two -only- star a woman (Fatal Frame and Bayonetta). This is not to downplay games that have gender choices, but at the same time, you have so many games where the character is male, and that's your only choice.

Peterc

R.I.P. Emily Rogers

She at least got the voice acting part right.

How that?

She said that all characters would have voice acting beside link.

But i've not seen yet someone with voice acting.

Only when he wakes up, but not the ones who he talking with.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Honestly, I would have been fine with this answer

Exactly, if he went on the record and went with a simple, curated answer, this thread wouldn't be as big as it is.

It is uncessary controversy because it was an off the cuff statement by someone who didn't know marketing and PR speak. I know NeoGAF and many other hate marketing people, but a marketing person would have been perfect in keeping this from exploding.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I still don't see how making a game the way you want to is sexist, while shoehorning a female option in just to make people happy (and likely making a huge deal over it in marketing) isn't. That just seems backwards to me. Nothing about what he's saying is sexist. You guys may view Link as nothing but an avatar, but Aonuma doesn't seem to think that way and thus doesn't want to just make a female Link. Then you guys are attacking him over the Rapp incident that he played no part in. What, was the board of directors supposed to mandate female playable characters in all games or something? This just seems like something to complain about when, really, as BS as it sounds in today's world at face value, what he's basically saying here is that he didn't start making the game with the idea of having a female player character and thus had trouble figuring out a way to force one in. It's reasonable if you consider the fact Link being a character or an avatar is debatable in the first place. If there's an overwhelming showing of desire for a female character by fans there's a better chance that it'll be considered by them early in development. Just calling him and everyone at Nintendo sexist over this, however? I'd honestly ban the idea completely until the fanbase grows up out of spite. The truth is that there's way more ignorance in this thread than in his reasoning.

Seriously, if he were just flat-out sexist, would he have even considered the idea? It seems like he actually put time and thought into it but just couldn't fit it into his plan, not like he's saying, "I'm completely against playing as a woman in a video game."

turns out link isn't a girl, he's a boy like in literally every other zelda game

??????

Uh, did you mean to leave out the fact that they also excluded Zelda as being an option?

I still don't see how making a game the way you want to is sexist, while shoehorning a female option in just to make people happy (and likely making a huge deal over it in marketing) isn't. That just seems backwards to me. Nothing about what he's saying is sexist. You guys may view Link as nothing but an avatar, but Aonuma doesn't seem to think that way and thus doesn't want to just make a female Link. Then you guys are attacking him over the Rapp incident that he played no part in. What, was the board of directors supposed to mandate female playable characters in all games or something? This just seems like something to complain about when, really, as BS as it sounds in today's world at face value, what he's basically saying here is that he didn't start making the game with the idea of having a female player character and thus had trouble figuring out a way to force one in. It's reasonable if you consider the fact Link being a character or an avatar is debatable in the first place. If there's an overwhelming showing of desire for a female character by fans there's a better chance that it'll be considered by them early in development. Just calling him and everyone at Nintendo sexist over this, however? I'd honestly ban the idea completely until the fanbase grows up out of spite. The truth is that there's way more ignorance in this thread than in his reasoning.

How would it have been sexist to feature a female option? I don't think you know what that word means.

Now your turn.

because...the creator of the character, telling the story of that character, has determined him to be male? It's one thing to complain about not enough female protagonists in games, and another entirely to demand that the gender of an established character be swapped for "reasons."

Are you also calling for a rewrite for Of Mice and Men where Lenny is Lana, a post op trans person, or does Steinbeck get to say since he wrote the book?

>people make up a story about link being a girl
>turns out link isn't a girl, he's a boy like in literally every other zelda game but then they said Zelda would be a better option but actually not so much.
>Nintendo gives a sorry, pathetic and sexist excuse for not including a female playable character at all
>Nintendo are suddenly and quite possibly at least casually sexists
FTFY

I think people (at least myself) are potraying Nintendo this way not because of a lack of FemLink, but rather for their borderline sexist reasoning.

I actually have no issue with the lack of a FemLink/Zelda lead personally... but saying it is because Link wont have shit to do is baffling

I can see it, Link is an iconic character and the mascot of the series. It would have been odd of he was just gone without a trace.

mxgt

Banned

??????

It's fucking hilarious.

People going crazy because they convinced themselves rumours were real.

PtM

Banned
BcD5dQR.gif

This piping hot tea.

Also it's interesting that he acknowledges that they already have a potential heroine in Zelda but that if the roles were reversed Link wouldn't have anything to do (like Zelda throughout the series). Why can't they both fight to save the kingdom?
Good point. If Link is the hero, what about Zelda?

I wanted female Link, tho.

Mihos

Gold Member
They shouldn't have said anything and just made the game the way they wanted to make. I have never felt once that I was "owed and explanation". There is only buy or don't buy.

Aonouma-

“The Triforce is made up of Princess Zelda, Ganon and Link. Princess Zelda is obviously female. If we made Link a female we thought that would mess with the balance of the Triforce. That’s why we decided not to do it.”

This is what I mean by the fans fantasizing what they want when its not the case.

III-V

Not a surprise, but honestly those comments from Nintendo do sound a little tone deaf.

I think it is telling that they claim that instead of female link (impossible because reasons?) they substitute Zelda, but what would Link do? Way to miss the point.

The story of a hero saving a princess, the triforce, and anything else about the Heros Quest presented in these games does nothing to preclude a female heroine.

Of course, its no deal breaker for me, I just would have been impressed if some of this old thinking had turned around.

What on earth are you talking about? They didn't want to create a new female character just for pandering purposes, they considered making Zelda the playable character instead but they realized the person who has actually been the main character over the past 30 years wouldn't have a place with that setup, so they scrapped it.
The only reason he wouldn't have a place in that setup is if you have the imagination of a gnat. You could create any number of reasons on why it's Zelda how has to go out and save the world and what role Link would have. People have come up with many in this very thread. Suggesting that a male hero wouldn't have anything to do if he couldn't rescue a princess is frankly insulting to both genders.

Aonouma-

“The Triforce is made up of Princess Zelda, Ganon and Link. Princess Zelda is obviously female. If we made Link a female we thought that would mess with the balance of the Triforce. That’s why we decided not to do it.”

This is what I mean by the fans fantasizing what they want when its not the case.

...Eh? That makes literally no sense. There can be two guys, but not two girls? Wouldn't it be more balanced if one character was male, one character was female, and one character could be either?

Quonny

Aonouma-

This makes literally no sense.

lol @ exact quote one post up

I don't understand the problem of Zelda being the protagonist and Link not being in the game.

I don't have a problem with this. I also don't have a problem with some other main, playable female character. I do have a problem suddenly changing gender on a long-established character. Blank slate or not, Link is fairly clearly defined, despite the different "incarnations" hub-bub.

Mega

Banned
I wouldn't mind and in fact would like if Link was female in a future title... or if Zelda was given the main character role. But my god, getting up in arms that he isn't in this game is fucking ridiculous. It was not promised to anyone and there's no strong reason he must be female. Current canon points to Link as a male. As I said, great if it happens down the line or a patch adds the gender option. But FFS, get a grip, people.

If this is the battle you want to fight, then be goddamn consistent about it and rage in every thread about why X male character isn't a woman instead. Ridiculous.

Things Link Can Be:

- A child
- A teenager
- Blond-haired
- Brown-haired
- Pink-haired
- Split into four color-coded versions of himself
- Partners with two other seemingly-identical but also color-coded Links
- A train conductor
- A rabbit
- A wolf
- A plant-thing
- A fish-man
- A rock-man
- A god
- An octorok
- A moblin
- A like-like
- A ghost inhabiting a suit of armor that teaches his future incarnation skills
- Partners with an alternate-timeline wolf version of himself

Things Link Can Never Be Because It Would Destroy The Whole Character, Nay, The Franchise:

- A woman

Hope you don't mind. Excellent list had to share

acknowledgment for the list

I wouldn't mind and in fact would like if Link was female in a future title... or if Zelda was given the main character role. But my god, getting up in arms that he isn't in this game is fucking ridiculous. It was not promised to anyone and there's no strong reason he must be female. Current canon points to Link as a male. As I said, great if it happens down the line or a patch adds the gender option. But FFS, get a grip, people.

If this is the battle you want to fight, then be goddamn consistent about it and rage in every thread about why X male character isn't a woman instead. Ridiculous.

The issue is that Aonuma gave a really bad reason that reflects poorly on his judgment in this respect, and suggests that the reason may apply to future titles. It is also not the first time they've come up with poor reasons for why a female character option does not exist.

His response is poor.
Link can help, be rescued or not be involved. Or be a girl and be playable. Or w/e.

There are clearly enough people for which that would be cool and if you can't come up with a good reason not to, then just bloody do it.

Not

Banned
I'm optimistic for the next Zelda game having a female protagonist though. After this game, there won't be a ton of conventions left to shake up.

The_Lump

Banned

I think it's fairly straight forward if you try and understand what he's saying from a logical perspective:

- Link is male. Their decision, it's their character. Fair enough.

- Zelda could be the protagonist, but not in a 'The Legend of Zelda' game (ironic I know) because they are quintessentially about playing as Link (who we've established is male). That's the franchise. Of course another franchise could feature Zelda as the main protagonist, but that's a separate matter.

- End of discussion.

It's really quite straightforward, although I get that the phrasing he/his translator used didn't make it sound very good.

Link can also be a Subrosian

It would be news of Link's gender is selectable. This being like every other LoZ game is not news.

The reason why is news.

Aye, not me saying it. Thats how they view Zelda

Well I'm more responding to the quote than anything else. It makes it sound like Aonuma either is kind of sexist (where it would be unbalanced if there were more women than men) or doesn't really get what balance means

I wish Nintendo would say "Because link is iconic as a male and he will remain male in all future games" just so we could stop having this discussion. The vast bulk of Nintendo's characters have zero purpose to being their gender besides simply being given that gender on creation. The whole link is an avatar thing I might buy if he wasn't literally established as basically the same person with the same progression and task in like every game.

Not

Banned
I think it's fairly straight forward if you try and understand what he's saying from a logical perspective:

- Link is male.

- Zelda could be the protagonist, but not in a 'The Legend of Zelda' game (ironic I know) because they are quintessentially about playing as Link (who we've established is male). That's the franchise. Of course another franchise could feature Zelda as the main protagonist, but that's a separate matter.

- End of discussion.

It's really quite straightforward, although I get that the phrasing he/his translator used didn't make it sound very good.

We could un-establish him as male. Shocking

Wavebossa

I can see it, Link is an iconic character and the mascot of the series. It would have been odd of he was just gone without a trace.

He wouldn't be any less gone than Zelda is in Zelda games.

- Link is male. Their decision, it's their character. Fair enough.

- End of discussion.

I understand that. It could be a game within the Zelda universe though.
Again, I have no issue with Link remaining male as i've stated multiple times. I just don't like the "What would Link be doing?" reasoning.

I wish Nintendo would say "Because link is iconic as a male and he will remain male in all future games" just so we could stop having this discussion. The vast bulk of Nintendo's characters have zero purpose to being their gender besides simply being given that gender on creation. The whole link is an avatar thing I might buy if he wasn't literally established as basically the same person with the same progression and task in like every game.

Samus is defined by gender (for better or worse). They added her gender because it would be neat, her de-suiting is one of the most iconic things about the games, and (depressingly) Other M exists and is this really stupid allegory about motherhood

Mithos

No that poster chose a game that gave them an option.

Yeah picking another game just because the playable character do not have the gender (man or woman) you want, that is sexism.

Or does it only count as sexism if someone refuse a game if the character is a woman?

Aonouma-

I thought it'd be kind of cool if Link could be either male or female, but I wasn't really all that invested in it either way. Having said that, I honestly don't know how to read your post. You quote Aonouma as though he's addressing a point. However, that quotation is really incoherent.

If this drama has taught me anything

is that Koei does what Nintendon't by adding what is basically a female incarnation of link in Linkle in hyrule warriors~

Koei should handle all future Legend of Zeldas.
People bitched about Linkle too though (not me though~). Honestly after Other M it's interesting just how great a love letter Hyrule Warriors is to the entire franchise.

A female Link would've been neat, but it's not remotely a deal breaker there isn't one. I can definitely take issue with the Zelda comment though; not every game has to have her kidnapped, and honestly at times like Wind Waker suddenly having Tetra/Zelda get kidnapped wasa detriment to the overall plot.

Given how intentionally un-Zelda Breath of the Wild is so far, I find it weird tradition is being given as the reason for Zelda not being playable.

Cindro

The only reason he wouldn't have a place in that setup is if you have the imagination of a gnat. You could create any number of reasons on why it's Zelda how has to go out and save the world and what role Link would have. People have come up with many in this very thread. Suggesting that a male hero wouldn't have anything to do if he couldn't rescue a princess is frankly insulting to both genders.
Zelda is a political figure who has proven incredibly capable throughout the series, what with her roles in Ocarina and Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. There's no reason Aonuma and company should be expected to completely uproot the parameters of their fantasy setting to switch Link and Zelda's positions, or have Zelda be the main character while Link is some other sort of NPC just because an angry subset of people demanded it.

They wanted to stick within the parameters of the setting they've been using for three decades, they couldn't find a way to make it work without it being a clear strong-arm into making Link a girl solely to avoid claims of sexism, and that's that.

Top Bottom